Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah it's fine as long as everyone is completely on board with the whole thing before any animals are brought home. That part is kind of crucial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Dienes posted:

I think you're thinking of the turkeys. He's done lambs and pigs with his kids, too.

You are right. Nigella is the troublemaker turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnI2eHnxu6o

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

There's a story in the comments about an even worse person. Instead of turkeys it was rabbits, and instead of a girlfriend it was his kids.

This happened to my mother.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

So what if my ex-girlfriend texts me, and I sort of agree to let you look at the messages, then I suddenly realize I don't want you to look at the messages, and then another woman sends me hearts on my phone and Facebook page, and I only reluctantly agree to let you look even though the messages are in a language you can't read, which some people might interpret as me having a guilty conscience about something? What about it? Oh, you're going to divorce me? Lol, go ahead. WHOA! DIVORCE PAPERS? Where the hell is this coming from?!

My favorite part is when he offers to translate the Mandarabicanese messages for her, then demands his phone back when she goes to Google Translate, instead. Hahaha.

This was a great summary. The "my wife's named marissa. I'm not going to tell you what language I speak because it might reveal too much" was my favorite part.

It almost comes off as if he wants Marissa to find it on Reddit as "proof" that it was just a "mistake"

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Nerds posted:

This was a great summary. The "my wife's named marissa. I'm not going to tell you what language I speak because it might reveal too much" was my favorite part.

It almost comes off as if he wants Marissa to find it on Reddit as "proof" that it was just a "mistake"

The whole thing is good. I want it to be true, because I love stories about people standing up for themselves, especially to antagonists who clearly didn’t believe it would happen. That woman is an inspiration to those who might be tempted to back away from the boundaries they have set in their relationships. A Petra, if you will.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The whole thing is good. I want it to be true, because I love stories about people standing up for themselves, especially to antagonists who clearly didn’t believe it would happen. That woman is an inspiration to those who might be tempted to back away from the boundaries they have set in their relationships. A Petra, if you will.

While I agree the op was pretty much as shady as they possibly could be in the situation it's still weird/not okay to want to comb through your SO's phone/social media and request direct access for it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [30m] wife [28f] has filed for divorce over a misunderstanding. Married for two years.

LMAO

This dude sent someone calling him out for the instagram lie a PM. He asked the guy to delete the call out lol.

Drunk Nerds posted:

He said he's going to show her.

Grem fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 22, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
There were several reddit posts that unironically went with a "if there's nothing to hide" angle

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Why do people who insist on combing through their partners phones date people who are cheaters? Feels like there's an insurmountable incompatibility issue, there.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [30m] wife [28f] has filed for divorce over a misunderstanding. Married for two years.

LMAO

I love the idea of whispering into a buddy's ear, "Dude, my wife needs to talk to you now whatever she says just cover for me. I owe you big time."

Except you're asking Reddit to do it for you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

A former co-worker of mine had this happen with a pig, but they had owned it for a couple of years, and then it went missing and nobody could find him. Her dad told her when her mouth was full of pork chop that she was eating Wilbur.

Edit: 30 years later she still won't eat pork.

I would like to justify my previous comment by saying I'm apparently to naive to think something like this was a reasonable possibility. What the hell? I really should know better.

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah it's fine as long as everyone is completely on board with the whole thing before any animals are brought home. That part is kind of crucial.

This. Not everyone grows up the same way, and you can't necessarily change some of that as an adult and you can do a real lot of damage to your kids.

I mean....look at how Pick turned out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

This. Not everyone grows up the same way, and you can't necessarily change some of that as an adult and you can do a real lot of damage to your kids.

I mean....look at how Pick turned out.

i dunno why I get so much poo poo for being raised in the family i did but that's just how it is on this bitch of an Earth

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Motronic posted:

...or a farm boy. Who should have recognized immediately that the livestock he bought turned into pets for his non-farm-raised girlfriend and left it at that.

Look, I understand both sides. Sometimes livestock becomes more like pets, but you don't want to let that happen when you're raising meat animals. It's better when you're dealing with dairy cows and such, but even then if it's actually your business you need to be able to let go.

My grandfather and my great-uncle both had small dairy farms back way back in the day, and when either of them had a cow that was too old to produce milk, they’d each call the other one to dispatch the animal.

Many years later, grandpa told my dad ‘It’s hard to do it when you raised her from a calf and milked her twice a day for many years, so I have my brother do it, it’s easier for him ‘cause it’s not his cow, and I do the same for him.’

Goes to show that even crusty old German farmers can be sentimental, and I always thought that was a good way to deal with the problem.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

i dunno why I get so much poo poo for being raised in the family i did but that's just how it is on this bitch of an Earth

Because you are an intolerable human being, and you were raised by worse.

“Post hoc, ergo propter hoc”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pick posted:

Just thank me (or don't) for giving you the attention you crave as evidenced by this thread and move on.

JnnyThndrs posted:

My grandfather and my great-uncle both had small dairy farms back way back in the day, and when either of them had a cow that was too old to produce milk, they’d each call the other one to dispatch the animal.

Many years later, grandpa told my dad ‘It’s hard to do it when you raised her from a calf and milked her twice a day for many years, so I have my brother do it, it’s easier for him ‘cause it’s not his cow, and I do the same for him.’

Goes to show that even crusty old German farmers can be sentimental, and I always thought that was a good way to deal with the problem.

That's a couple of good farmers who really did take care of their charges. Exactly what I'm talking about. But not everyone understands that you can know what needs to be done, do what needs to be done and not be a heartless animal hating murder machine. This is also possible with meat animals.........come at me thread.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

El_Elegante posted:

Because you are an intolerable human being, and you were raised by worse.

“Post hoc, ergo propter hoc”

my therapists have always been actively detrimental to me in pointing out I'm a lot more functional than I should be, and here's all you bad scrabbly-beareded men thinking you have the right to disparage me nevertheless :lofty:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Just thank me (or don't) for giving you the attention you crave as evidenced by this thread and move on.

women give one another validation because we understand the humanizing effect of relating to people in a personal way and allowing them to feel meaningful

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You're welcome, Pick.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haifisch posted:

me with my (28m) girlfriend (26f) of 6 years. Her "pets" are causing a rift

imho someone who hunts out of necessity is moral but somebody who hunts out a joy of killing is a sociopath who should be ostracized and relieved of their weapons

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I fuckin' love eating meat. Where these stories all get abusive is that the boyfriend or dad is not disclosing form the very beginning that the animal is food. If dude brought home the turkeys and the first thing out of his mouth is "I'm going to fatten these up for Thanksgiving," poo poo may have gone down differently. (Of course, if g/f is indeed vegetarian, maybe not...)

The dad who had his kids raise a pig and then pretended it "disappeared' and didn't tell them what actually happened until they were eating their pig is just a power-tripping pervert who gets off on transgressing boundaries.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think Pick is underrated tbh

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

tbh this is a pretty common tactic you will see whether it's race or whatever else, dunno if there's a cutesy one-word term for it

It's funny because this is the same 'male fragiltiy' shtick you see from time to time in this thread, just bust it out and then if the person takes umbrage double down on it you can't lose.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fallom posted:

imho someone who hunts out of necessity is moral but somebody who hunts out a joy of killing is a sociopath who should be ostracized and relieved of their weapons

What about somebody who trolls online out of a joy of making other people feel bad?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

That's a couple of good farmers who really did take care of their charges. Exactly what I'm talking about. But not everyone understands that you can know what needs to be done, do what needs to be done and not be a heartless animal hating murder machine. This is also possible with meat animals.........come at me thread.

Nah dude, it is fine to raise meat animals as long as everyone doing it knows what's up. My wife and kids have named our chickens so when the county told me I had to get rid of my rooster (the laws had changed since I had first researched it, plus it was supposed to be a sexed female) he "went to a farm really far away."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pick posted:

This happened to my mother.

"Lizzie Borden had a Pick..."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

phasmid posted:

"Lizzie Borden had a Pick..."

Gave her mother forty... hmm

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My wife (25F) doesn't like thanksgiving food and my family doesn't want her to join me (25M) this year.

quote:

My wife and I have been together for 8 years, married for nearly 2. She's from a different culture than I am, and her family is pretty spread out across the country. Her sister just moved to California, her parents live in North Carolina, and we're in New Jersey. My family all lives in Missouri, where I grew up.

I have never missed a Thanksgiving with my family. It's the biggest tradition we have, at least 20-30 people show up every year from all over the country. My wife never came to Thanksgiving or any other holidays with me before we got married. She spent last Thanksgiving with my side though, and really enjoyed herself. She got along really well with everyone.

One thing that was a bit off was the food thing. My wife doesn't really like a lot of American food, specifically Thanksgiving food. Turkey gives her a stomach ache, mashed potatoes are flavorless to her, and she doesn't like the texture of casseroles. She was polite about refusing dishes and did eat and compliment the things she did like. The dinner is pretty informal, some people like certain dishes and some people don't, but she was the only one to say no to the turkey.

My grandma (who cooks most of the food, especially the turkey) didn't say anything at the time, but she didn't really talk much to my wife after the dinner. Recently I was on the phone with her and she asked me not to bring my wife to dinner this year, because it would be embarrassing to have someone pick at her food year after year. I told my grandma that if my wife wasn't invited, neither was I.

My wife heard about this and is begging me to go to Thanksgiving without her. She didn't seem offended by my grandma's statement at all, and said that she has some money saved that she was planning to use to see her parents anyway. She knows how important Thanksgiving is to me, but it feels like a bit of a downer to go back to separate holidays again, like we're just dating and not married. I've suggested going with her to her parents' house, but she says it would be rude to the rest of the family if I didn't go, and I shouldn't skip out on a tradition just to stick it to my grandma.

What should I do in this situation? I see both sides.

tl;dr: My family doesn't want my wife to come to Thanksgiving dinner this year. Wife urges me to go without her, I don't feel it's right.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

My wife (25F) doesn't like thanksgiving food and my family doesn't want her to join me (25M) this year.

That's really strange. When I was growing up we would always alternate holidays with our parents` families, Dad's one year, Mom's the next, more or less. Seems weird that she doesn't want to just have them both go to hers this time. Maybe his grandma will mellow out by next year?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Tell Grandma you'll handle inviting everyone/scheduling this year and not to worry. Then tell everyone that Thanksgiving will be somewhere else because Grandma isn't up to hosting anymore. Don't invite Grandma to New Thanksgiving.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
We’re all tired of reading posts about Pick. Stop this boring poo poo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

Dude should totally side with his wife with the story as written and I wouldn't at all be surprised if the wife just made a minor faux pas that racist grandma blew out of proportion but I've also seen plenty of people irl that act like they're competing in a worst guest challenge and that bias coupled with reddit op's often being weaselly around what transpired when they know it'd make em look bad make me wonder if maybe they are the assholes.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Anne Whateley posted:

I raised all kinds of animals on our little ranch. The first year, I spent months training my pig to come when called, walk with me, etc so i could show her at the county fair, and then sell her at auction. I started crying a day or so before the fair because I felt bad about her becoming meat.

Then we went to the fair. She raised the roof, ran squealing around the judging pen, and basically acted like she'd never seen a person in her life. By the time we were done I was ready to butcher her right there, all by myself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Khazar-khum posted:

I raised all kinds of animals on our little ranch. The first year, I spent months training my pig to come when called, walk with me, etc so i could show her at the county fair, and then sell her at auction. I started crying a day or so before the fair because I felt bad about her becoming meat.

Then we went to the fair. She raised the roof, ran squealing around the judging pen, and basically acted like she'd never seen a person in her life. By the time we were done I was ready to butcher her right there, all by myself.

Some Pig

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grandma is a disgusting cook and the girlfriend thought not eating would go over better if she blamed it on culture. “The texture of the casseroles” :barf: I’d try to get out of thanksgiving too if I were being asked to pretend to like unseasoned, rehydrated potato flakes and dry bird.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Girl probably isn't too far off the mark anyway. Mashed potatoes are almost always flavorless hence the need for delicious gravy. Casseroles are often awful in their own way. Sucks to get stomach aches from Turkey though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Just spin your plate ever so slowly with your nondominant hand and take a bite of each portion one at a time in a cycle.

Warning: this obviates bread.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
If it were just that the wife didn't like the food, the obvious solution would be to get the wife to contribute a dish, which would give the group something new to try and give the wife a(nother?) thing she knew she would eat. But instead Grandma jumped straight to "she's not invited", which means either (a) the wife did something way worse than just pick at her food, or (b) his family is racist and looking for an excuse to exclude her.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

MasBrillante posted:

Grandma is a disgusting cook and the girlfriend thought not eating would go over better if she blamed it on culture. “The texture of the casseroles” :barf: I’d try to get out of thanksgiving too if I were being asked to pretend to like unseasoned, rehydrated potato flakes and dry bird.

It's not about the food at all, Grandma is a racist

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Haifisch posted:

That dude's family is a bunch of assholes, and he should not go to that Thanksgiving. The average American can't cook well and therefore the average Thanksgiving dinner is gross, I don't blame anyone for not liking over-cooked dry turkey, plain mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Girl probably isn't too far off the mark anyway. Mashed potatoes are almost always flavorless hence the need for delicious gravy. Casseroles are often awful in their own way. Sucks to get stomach aches from Turkey though.

What's shameful is that mashed potatoes can be awesome and delicious but most people just suck at making them (and most other things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Incoherence posted:

If it were just that the wife didn't like the food, the obvious solution would be to get the wife to contribute a dish, which would give the group something new to try and give the wife a(nother?) thing she knew she would eat. But instead Grandma jumped straight to "she's not invited", which means either (a) the wife did something way worse than just pick at her food, or (b) his family is racist and looking for an excuse to exclude her.

Grandma might not let her contribute a dish, as a point of pride. Some old people are weird like that. One of the great American Myths is that all Grandmas are amazing cooks and she may not want to face up to her food legit sucking