Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Guillermus posted:

F_D is still my favourite co-op mode of all FPS games. I played a few games yesterday and if your teammates aren't brain dead or you're playing War Games because that map is the worst.

If you are playing as our lord and savior Papa Scorch, it doesn't matter if your teammates are brain dead or if you are on War Games. If your team is brain dead *and* you are on War Games, however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I wonder if this game would've sold better if Frontier Defense had been included at launch, like if that little thing would've been just enough to put it over the hump for a lot of people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frontier defense is why I bought the game when they added it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I couldn't really get into it. The segmented wave defense genre has always felt kinda meh. That downtime between waves.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Frontier Defense is great, but it definitely has some balance issues they need to sort out for 3, like the fact that waves with a significant amount of drones in them end up being way harder than they should be(since about half of the Titans in the game suck at dealing with them), also that difficulty doesn't scale down if you have less than 4 players(which means if you lose someone you're probably going to lose)

Also honestly I feel they tuned the difficulty for that mode in general a lot higher than it needed to be, like even Easy is kinda hard

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

I couldn't really get into it. The segmented wave defense genre has always felt kinda meh. That downtime between waves.

Same. It seems good for what it is, but I'd always just rather go against other players.I tried it for a while and always just wished I was playing attrition or Bounty Hunt instead.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Same. It seems good for what it is, but I'd always just rather go against other players.I tried it for a while and always just wished I was playing attrition or Bounty Hunt instead.

But my point is if it had been there at launch...

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I like FD but wish it would have received more maps or more variety. The waves start to feel same ish after awhile. I’d love a pilot-only FD mode also so you could do lots of sick movement stuff

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FD is fun because it allows Papa Scorch to have various upgrades which make him the ultimate boss titan. With certain upgrades he becomes this virtually unstoppable nightmare of thermite abuse with cores every 30 seconds. :allears:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Didn’t they run a titan-only mode where your FD upgrades were in use? I never played it because I wanted to get best Titan papa scorch fully loaded up. I do think he should get two shots with his gun before reloading as normal tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Didn’t they run a titan-only mode where your FD upgrades were in use? I never played it because I wanted to get best Titan papa scorch fully loaded up. I do think he should get two shots with his gun before reloading as normal tho

Dude, thermite with Wildfire already does so much damage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yeah not having FD at launch must have hurt numbers a bit

They didn’t even allude to it, but it was likely coming. It wasn’t until someone data mined a patch and found info, but iirc it still took something like almost 6 months to get it after that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I added some people from the past couple of pages, if you get a request from Nude_Tayne_ on PS4 it’s me. Hello.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yeah not having FD at launch must have hurt numbers a bit

They didn’t even allude to it, but it was likely coming. It wasn’t until someone data mined a patch and found info, but iirc it still took something like almost 6 months to get it after that

That being said, if it was a budget and time constraint that was sacrificed to make that brilliant campaign as spotless as possible...then they made the right choice.

Still, it makes me remember something like Uncharted 2 that was THE COMPLETE PACKAGE at launch in 2009, with brilliant SP, MP, co-op, bonus features, etc.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

FastestGunAlive posted:

I like FD but wish it would have received more maps or more variety. The waves start to feel same ish after awhile. I’d love a pilot-only FD mode also so you could do lots of sick movement stuff
To be fair, you can just dump your titan down with a assault chip by the harvester, and just roam yourself. Granted not every weapon is ideal, but it's still great fun loving with the killfeed by blowing up a titan using handguns, shotguns, etc.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

FD is fun because it allows Papa Scorch to have various upgrades which make him the ultimate boss titan. With certain upgrades he becomes this virtually unstoppable nightmare of thermite abuse with cores every 30 seconds. :allears:

Scorch even wrecks drone waves. Get in front of the lines and let them fly into your thermal shield. Scorch is the king of frontier defense even on the bad levels. Especially the bad levels.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What if.....Titanfall 3 happens and is good 🤔

:pray:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It will die anyways because it's not a battle royale :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That's not really possible IF Electronic Arts has control.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:rip:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yes, my brother, YES!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

At least I got the new black ops to hold me over. poo poo, more than a year at best, assuming we’re even going to get it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RE: Frontier Defence at launch. I think it might have made the game seem like more a full package to people, so it might have sold a few extra copies, but I think between the release date, lack of marketing, and stranglehold COD and BF have on the shooter market it would have been doomed regardless.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

RE: Frontier Defence at launch. I think it might have made the game seem like more a full package to people, so it might have sold a few extra copies, but I think between the release date, lack of marketing, and stranglehold COD and BF have on the shooter market it would have been doomed regardless.

:(

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
N-no! Titanfall just needs a fair start and then the market will validate my purchasing decisions!

Third times the charm right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Who knows. The shooter market is stupid. it seems almost impossible to break through. It seems like the only new shooter to enjoy mainstream success in the last decade is Overwatch, which had Blizzards rabid fanbase already build in. It's dumb because it completely stifles innovation.

I certainly hope TF3 is a thing, and it's good and successful. The genre feels more like Madden than a creative endeavor at this point.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I'm playing black ops 4 for the battle Royale mode and every time I play the basic modes like team death match or domination, I get the feeling I've played it ten years ago on the original modern warfare.

I hope titanfall 3 isn't trying battle Royale. I feel like blackout as as polished as it gets and there's alternatives with fortnite, pubg and soon bf:V.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Senethro posted:

N-no! Titanfall just needs a fair start and then the market will validate my purchasing decisions!

Third times the charm right?

Well, the first game released in March/April of 2014 (it's been >4 years??? :smith:), which isn't exactly prime Bideo James season, and TF2 got c-blocked by CoD releasing the same week or some absurdity...

This series deserves a bigger fanbase, but here we are...

Please be a dev... :ohdear:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm curious, who is that guy?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I'm curious, who is that guy?

The King of Bone

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Reinstalled to play TF2 on my new rig since I haven't completed the singleplayer (Got distracted by MP)

I then immediately went to check MP to see how healthy it was. 1400 players or so peak times on a Saturday so it's still as healthy as it's ever been (:smith:) but holy poo poo the skill level of players is through the roof at this point. Like, if this guy sees you, you're dead. I can't hang anymore. It's still a lot of fun but drat, g50+ is a sight to behold.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Reinstalled to play TF2 on my new rig since I haven't completed the singleplayer (Got distracted by MP)

I then immediately went to check MP to see how healthy it was. 1400 players or so peak times on a Saturday so it's still as healthy as it's ever been (:smith:) but holy poo poo the skill level of players is through the roof at this point. Like, if this guy sees you, you're dead. I can't hang anymore. It's still a lot of fun but drat, g50+ is a sight to behold.

Yeah, I'm g22 and can confirm that I regularly get owned by people better than me during the most competitive hours. But I still manage to get into the top 3 quite a bit. A lot of it is having an optimal titan+pilot loadout that works to your strengths as a player and remembering how important it is to take out minions efficiently.

Often what will happen is less skilled people will throw themselves into the meat grinder and get killed over and over in the early pVp, dying 10 times in a row in rapid succession without contributing anything to the team score. That's 50 points you just netted the other team off of just YOUR deaths when you could've easily grabbed 20 points for your own team by killing 2 or 3 groups of grunts, which gives you your boost and puts your titan meter close to launch. Also noobs spawning their titan alone against a 3 or 4 enemy titans instead of waiting for team back up, or even worse rather than spawning in titan dropping it badly into the middle of a contested zone and getting killed before embarking :suicide:

Sure, there are dudes who regularly do 170-230 pts per match, but even they lose if their team bungles things enough. It's a team effort, and part of that effort is not committing certain basic bitch stupid moves.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Played some more today to get back into things. Had a great first match and then... multiple matches in a row where the lag was bad enough that my electro grenades acted like Halo plasma grenades. Dropping titans on people is still some of the best fun a bideo jame ever gave me though.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 21, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Played some more today to get back into things. Had a great first match and then... multiple matches in a row where the lag was bad enough that my electro grenades acted like Halo plasma grenades. Dropping titans on people is still some of the best fun a bideo jame ever gave me though.

You might try switching servers on the main menu to address the lag.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I completely forgot that was even a thing I could do.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I completely forgot that was even a thing I could do.

If your on ps4 you should also run off ethernet instead of WiFi. PS4 wifi is poo poo, I get mini warping when using it. Not in any other game though, maybe tf2 has a higher update rate than most games.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

Not trying to be dickish but complete single its legit one of the best campaigns in years

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Titanfall 2 is also $5 on origin right now so it's a good time to make everyone you know play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Psion posted:

Titanfall 2 is also $5 on origin right now so it's a good time to make everyone you know play it

:hmmyes: