Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9z5thc/how_dumb_would_it_be_to_do_this/

quote:

How dumb would it be to do this?

I am graduating in December, and starting a good job in mid February. The job is paying well and I'm getting a 10k starting bonus, but won't receive that money until I actually start.

More background, I have a small amount of student loan debt (less than $5k) and that's it. I've never had a credit card. I have a small amount of money in savings but that's only for emergencies.

My idea is to get a credit card and take a trip to Europe. Then use the bonus to pay that credit card off immediately when I get the money. I will never have an opportunity to travel like this again, unless I travel between jobs in a few years. I obviously cannot afford to take this trip without some kind of help, because I'm just a student with very little money. This seems like a decent idea because I know I can pay it off immediately (or when I get the bonus), but just the idea of doing this seems irresponsible so I'm hesitant. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Literally using reddit karma as a credit rating. My sides

quote:

I think I'm done loaning here, only started last week and did all the recommended steps and still got scammed out of $450

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My favorite part out of all of that is that he wants to start training for the NFL, so he can get drafted next season and start his professional football career at 32 or 33.

Brett Favre has inspired a generation.

My cousin married a man who wanted to try out for the Navy Seals. No, he’s not in the military, why do you ask?

They’re not married anymore.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lockback posted:

This dude figured out how to get debt on his debt.

Spiraling into a hole of debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9z88mr/spiraling_into_a_hole_of_debt/

I swear to god if I saw someone lending money to randos like that I'd have them thrown out of the bank. A) it's a loss risk to the bank because someone might gently caress you over and then you might just walk away from a negative account, b) it's a loving money laundering risk because it's real fuckin close to how a hawala would look on our side (presumably with less cash than a hawala).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9z3keh/am_i_making_a_mistake_buying_a_new_used_car/

quote:

Am I making a mistake buying a new used car?

18, no credit, living with parents through CC.

I recently found a car that I’m just in love with. I’ve been needing a new car for over a year now, mine is on its last days. I can’t even get on the interstate with my car.

The car I’m looking at is a 2017 GT Mustang with 3,000 miles on it, certified pre-owned, accident free. $30,000 after taxes.

Currently, I make about $1500 a month and have no bills to pay.

Of course, the smart thing to do is find a car I can pay outright right now. I know that’s the smart thing to do. But I want that car. I won’t try to justify it any further, I just want it.

My dad is completely against me chasing this car. But I know that right now, I can handle the payments. I’ve been moving up fairly quick in the company I work at, so I’d imagine I’d be able to handle future payments down the road when I move out.

Am I making a mistake going after this car? Realistically, what are the long-term strains I could suffer? If I should go for the car, what should I do to budget correctly?

18 year olds and Mustangs are like flies on poo poo.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Lockback posted:

This dude figured out how to get debt on his debt.

Spiraling into a hole of debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9z88mr/spiraling_into_a_hole_of_debt/

this is like when the woman leaves the group in a horror movie to check out the basement of the house they're staying in

e: reading through the comments, and...

quote:

I've been terribly afraid being late will lead to the collapse of our ability to stay here. They've made it clear they can't get by without us, and that a lot of their tenants made it a habit out of not paying/being late, therefore they really don't seem trusting enough to give us an extension. They won't give us the temporary access to a car to get drinking water even, at least without a huge hassle/fight (can't drink the tap, rat-lungworm disease)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 22, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My boss was very excited to tell me about the Hello Fresh membership he's been doing for a few months and how much money they're saving now.

Since they pretty much always ordered out before, I'm wondering if they actually are coming out ahead.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

(can't drink the tap, rat-lungworm disease)

Is there a name for when something makes you so sad and horrified you start laughing uncontrollably?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

brugroffil posted:

My boss was very excited to tell me about the Hello Fresh membership he's been doing for a few months and how much money they're saving now.

Since they pretty much always ordered out before, I'm wondering if they actually are coming out ahead.

Blue Apron is 20 bucks per meal for two, so very likely at least a little better if its replacing expensive restaurants.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I've been listening to a podcast called The Dream which delves into the world of pyramid schemes and MLMs and it's pretty great if you're interested in the psychology and strategy behind how these scams rope people in. Also plenty of schadenfreude at how easily fools are parted from their money.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there a name for when something makes you so sad and horrified you start laughing uncontrollably?

'Murica?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AndrewP posted:

Blue Apron is 20 bucks per meal for two, so very likely at least a little better if its replacing expensive restaurants.

Probably mostly mid-range stuff plus feeding two toddlers

I dunno, probably healthier for the kids anyway.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

attaining class consciousness ;)

But really... I checked and Dr. Internet tells me "inappropriate laughter" is a common reaction to stress.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TrueChaos posted:

Apologies, content:

At least they dodged a bullet, though only because they didn't have the downpayment...

I'm the "one thing lead to another, and I'm at their financing office"

I love how so many mopes (:zaurg:) blackout during important life discussions

By the way, in the spirit of the Holiday, I'm so thankful for this thread. It's my favorite on SA and am continually amazed at the volume of new content each day. It's scary.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I swear to god if I saw someone lending money to randos like that I'd have them thrown out of the bank. A) it's a loss risk to the bank because someone might gently caress you over and then you might just walk away from a negative account, b) it's a loving money laundering risk because it's real fuckin close to how a hawala would look on our side (presumably with less cash than a hawala).

And this, folks, is why you don't share any information with your bank unless absolutely required.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mike- posted:

Leon:

As someone who enjoys your posts in this thread, please stop posting in D&D it’s just not worth it!

I am so confused too since you’re a hero in this thread and get probated like a mofo.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

brugroffil posted:

If it blocks one meal out per week plus reduces grocery expenses it's a win for us. Very difficult to spend less than the price of an $80 box on dinner at a restaurant for two. Also the food is pretty healthy.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SlapActionJackson posted:

And this, folks, is why you don't share any information with your bank unless absolutely required.

lol how much money did you lose when your dodgy account got shut down?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Very difficult to spend less than the price of an $80 box on dinner at a restaurant for two.

Please source your quotes, tia

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Youth Decay posted:

I've been listening to a podcast called The Dream which delves into the world of pyramid schemes and MLMs and it's pretty great if you're interested in the psychology and strategy behind how these scams rope people in. Also plenty of schadenfreude at how easily fools are parted from their money.
First episode and I'm already hooked. Four decades later and she still won't say she did something wrong :psyduck:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 22, 2018

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Roll Tide

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AndrewP posted:

The gf is gaming some promo on a local version here so we got six meals out of it for like $40. No way I’d pay full price ($78 for three meals) but if you can grab those starter offer and daisy chain them you can get some cheap grub on the VC’s account.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

I Screwed Up And Modified My leased Truck posted:

Before I start I just want to say I made a stupid decession and modified a leased 2017 Tacoma . I put a lift, rims,Bigger tires and bumpers. My lease is up in a year now and I won't be able to turn the truck back in the way it sits. My current payment is 311$ a month and I have 13 payments lefts. The lease buy-out is 28,000$. I had a dealership offer to purchase the truck for 25,500$ as it sits now . I am looking into getting a used car with a much cheaper payment . My question is, will it be better for me to continue paying the 311$ for a few months and save extra money and eat the loss at 2,500$ negative equity. Or would it be better for me to take out a 28,000$ auto loan and pay it for a few months and then trade the truck in possible breaking even or coming out with a little positive equity in the trade in. My credit score is around 740 so I estimate a loan payment to be about 600$ a month. I make about 1,000 every 2 weeks

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9tddgh/i_screwed_up_and_modified_my_leased_truck/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Very difficult to spend less than the price of an $80 box on dinner at a restaurant for two.

Not sure if facetious or an alcoholic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9z6kp9/car_accident_uninsured_cannot_afford_to_pay/

quote:

Car accident - uninsured, cannot afford to pay

I got into a car accident in Phoenix, Arizona, USA where I was not able to brake hard enough to avoid hitting the person in front of me.

She was on her phone with earbuds in, not going the speed of traffic, and has a suspended license. However, the police still cited me with "failure to control speed", so I assume that I am going to be partially if not wholly liable.

My car looks pretty bad. I took it to 2 collision centers and got quotes of ~$9300 to repair. One of the repair guys suggested I don't repair it at all due to the cost and the fact that the Honda Accord has a "unibody frame", so it'll never be the same

The problem is that I still owe ~$13000 on the car (and it's co-signed so I hope I haven't screwed over my cosigner), and I did not have comprehensive collision coverage on it (I am dumb, early 20s, and poor), so I thought it was great to save $150/month to have just liability. I did get Gap insurance through Honda but I am not sure it covers liability only.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I love "I was not able to brake hard enough to avoid hitting the person in front of me" rather than "I rear-ended somebody".

edit: OMG you left out some of the best stuff:

quote:

What is going to happen to me?

Can I go to collections jail? Will I get arrested or sued by Honda?

Do I declare bankruptcy? If so, how do I do that?

Is my cosigner liable if she has never made a payment on it?

Do I take out a ~9000-dollar loan to get it fixed? Where would I even get such a loan?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So the car is drivable and just looks bad? Just don't fix it if you can't afford it.

I also love that one stupid reckless uninsured driver managed to hit another stupid inattentive driver with a suspended license. Though there's a good chance it's made up to do a "See but they are bad too!"

Jan 11, 2004

Sit-down restaurant that isn't Chinese or Mexican or barbecue in a styrofoam box, with two dinner entrees and one drink each, plus tip? Can't remember last time I spent less than the $78 that the box cost *shrug* YMMV

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 22, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

brugroffil posted:

My fiancee just did some reviews of these companies and the conclusion we came to is that they are definitely aimed at people that eat out all the time and are not for people that normally cook at home.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sit-down restaurant that isn't Chinese or Mexican or barbecue in a styrofoam box, with two dinner entrees and one drink each, plus tip? Can't remember last time I spent less than the $78 that the box cost *shrug* YMMV
Where do you live? That's really high compared to my low COL area.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Only eating at bougie restaurants is BWM

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Let me introduce you to Applebees.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CitizenKain posted:

I may be giving away where I live, but styrofoam BBQ tray and gas station chicken >> Applebee's.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Our grocery store has started putting together meal boxes at jacked up prices for the people too dumb or lazy to make a shopping list. They seem to sell like crazy.

Jan 11, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

I choose death *marches self to guillotine*

Jan 11, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Mid Atlantic medium COL town that much fancies itself for a food scene, IMO it is deserved but restaurants have gotten noticeably more expensive in the last few years

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It seems to me that the main benefit of those meal kit services is having someone decide for you what to cook. Might as well just get the list of recipes and buy the ingredients your drat self.

*googles it* Apparently this type of service also exists, go figure

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BMan posted:

*googles it* Apparently this type of service also exists, go figure

I've seen people talk about sites that give you an entire week's shopping list and meal plan for like $10/month, it sounds like it aggregates the shopping list so you just go buy what it says all at once and then make the meals.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dik Hz posted:

It's pretty high compared to Seattle.

You could definitely do it, but you'd need to keep on top of the trendy restaurant lists, filter out anything that looks too divey or "ethnic," and never, ever consider drinking water.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Droo posted:

I've seen people talk about sites that give you an entire week's shopping list and meal plan for like $10/month, it sounds like it aggregates the shopping list so you just go buy what it says all at once and then make the meals.

That’s actually not a bad idea, if you pair it with nutritional advice and grocery flyers / coupons it could be GWM / GWL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Droo posted:

whoa, I need this. The whole reason we did Blue Apron is because I am horrible at knowing what to buy at the store and then deciding what to cook with it so I'll end up with a whole bottle of some dumb poo poo I don't need ever again