Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think that was more because they originally were going to let make shep bang Kaidan in the first game and then didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i enjoy that cullen is in all three dragon ages

Uh, technically it’s “Dragons Age” as there are many dragons but only one age

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HIJK posted:

So out of 20 years of games there’s only 1.5 examples of fanservice affecting romance options?

I always thought Cullen was one of the better written romances since it tied into the plot so well. the scene in the chapel still sticks with me.

That Bioware and their insane fan service for horny fans. :jerkbag:

If people like a character, what's the harm in bringing them back, especially when Cullen fit well into the story of Inquisition?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Tali. As much as I am for Tali + Shep, it's the most obvious one to me. Not able to be romanced in the first game, but then is in the next game due to fans complaining they couldn't romance her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PureRok posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned Tali. As much as I am for Tali + Shep, it's the most obvious one to me. Not able to be romanced in the first game, but then is in the next game due to fans complaining they couldn't romance her.

On the other hand, there's been just as many NPCs in both Mass Effect and Dragon Age who fans have wanted and shouted about wanting to boink, who Bioware didn't make romanceable - Joker, EDI, Varric, and Aveline all come to mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PureRok posted:

Yeah that one is pretty dumb. Tali should have stayed pure and virginal and not had nerds talk about how her sweat would taste

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's especially creepy bc Tali comes across as being basically a teenager

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Tali is a fairly violent adult that shoots people and takes on adult responsibilities like trying to protect her family and spaceship, those don’t scream “teenager” to me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, there's been just as many NPCs in both Mass Effect and Dragon Age who fans have wanted and shouted about wanting to boink, who Bioware didn't make romanceable - Joker, EDI, Varric, and Aveline all come to mind.

And Varric and Aveline turned out to be the least controversial characters in DA2. Still have their haters of course but a fraction of the hatedom hat the four romance options receive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still mad Alistair was straight :mad:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I'm still mad Alistair was straight :mad:

I'm still mad both Miranda and Jack were straight in spite of the fact Jack's backstory involves her sleeping with a man and a woman. Granted, because it's Jack, it wasn't a happy circumstance and they were potentially abusing her so maybe it wasn't voluntary. But ME, compared to DA, is just plagued by a lack of homosexual relationships. Plus I've heard a rumor Miranda was supposed to be a bisexual option but they didn't go through with it. Can't confirm this, though.

But I was happy with Zevran and Leliana. I like Al but not in that way.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

HIJK posted:

Tali is a fairly violent adult that shoots people and takes on adult responsibilities like trying to protect her family and spaceship, those don’t scream “teenager” to me.

Yeah trying to imagine a violent teenager here and it’s just really hard to even think it

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I didn't especially mind Jack being straight (although I think DA2's "playersexual" system is the best for games). But I did mind that she announces your femshep is not worth talking to any more because she's a woman and Jack is straight, even though you did her drat quest and everything. That's just a slap in the face for being female.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Oh dear me posted:

I didn't especially mind Jack being straight (although I think DA2's "playersexual" system is the best for games). But I did mind that she announces your femshep is not worth talking to any more because she's a woman and Jack is straight, even though you did her drat quest and everything. That's just a slap in the face for being female.

Lol the virgin incel but in a game

“But I diddd yourrr quesssstttt!!!”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HIJK posted:

Tali's romance arc in ME2 pretty creepy because it comes off like Anime Senpai Shepard where she's presented as a teenager in whatever Quarian years are and we know Shepard is almost 30 at the time of ME2.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah trying to imagine a violent teenager here and it’s just really hard to even think it

I like how you deliberately ignored the “responsibility” part, but teens can have a hard time with responsibility so I guess I can understand why you did it

exquisite tea posted:

Tali's romance arc in ME2 pretty creepy because it comes off like Anime Senpai Shepard where she's presented as a teenager in whatever Quarian years are and we know Shepard is almost 30 at the time of ME2.

I never romanced Tali so I wouldn’t know, I just can’t imagine her being a teenager when she had such an adult manner and responsibilities weighing on her. She was quite chipper yes, but young adults are often chipper.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol the virgin incel but in a game

“But I diddd yourrr quesssstttt!!!”

In real life I do expect people I've previously hung out with and been kind to to talk to me, and they seem to expect it right back.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Did Tali ever act particularly naive or childish in the first game? Aside from the "rite of passage" being so commonly coded as an allegory for coming of age in media, I never got that sense from her. If anything, Liara and Garrus seemed like the youngest ones on the crew.

I always interpreted the Pilgrimage less as a "now you are legally an adult" than something more akin to... like, buying your own house for the first time or getting married (moving to a new ship and getting your new name, respectively), where you "become an adult" by establishing a more permanent identity for yourself.

e: of course, she does have some anxiety in 2, but given that it only ever comes up when flirting (at least from what I remember), I chalk that up more to a clumsy/lazy attempt at them writing her as a stereotype of the shy nerdy girl. :shrug:

Generic American fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 22, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Generic American posted:

Did Tali ever act particularly naive or childish in the first game? Aside from the "rite of passage" being so commonly coded as an allegory for coming of age in media, I never got that sense from her. If anything, Liara and Garrus seemed like the youngest ones on the crew.

I always interpreted the Pilgrimage less as a "now you are legally an adult" than something more akin to... like, buying your own house for the first time or getting married (moving to a new ship and getting your new name, respectively), where you "become an adult" by establishing a more permanent identity for yourself.

e: of course, she does have some anxiety in 2, but given that it only ever comes up when flirting (at least from what I remember), I chalk that up more to a clumsy/lazy attempt at them writing her as a stereotype of the shy nerdy girl. :shrug:

One argument for her being in her early twenties is the quarians probably are smart enough to not let teenagers run around across the galaxy on their own in the hopes they might bring something useful back and not die.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I only really played through all the Mass Effects once, with a manshep, and never hosed anyone, because this is a military ship goddamnit, get off my dick. Though I believe the Asari may have gotten psychic babies with me at the end of 3.

Dawgstar posted:

One argument for her being in her early twenties is the quarians probably are smart enough to not let teenagers run around across the galaxy on their own in the hopes they might bring something useful back and not die.

The Quarians are worthless fools.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
According to the Mass Effect Wiki she was 22 in ME1.

"In 2183, she is on her Pilgrimage..." and "Tali was born in 2161 aboard the Rayya."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tali was only naive in the “gets set up for an obvious ambush” way, I think Liara got some “barely an adult by asari standards” as reasoning for why none takes her research seriously.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Only Javik was worthy of being hosed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Joker, EDI,

Well...

Although I can’t imagine even the horniest fan asking for that

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tali is the Mission Vao/Imoen/Nahlia/of the Mass Effect games. She’s technically adult and does “adult things” sure but her demeanor is meant to remind you of someone whose out to learn about the world with the player characters help and has child like tendencies. There’s a lot more than that but BioWare stick to the same few archetypes for every game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

chaosapiant posted:

Tali is the Mission Vao/Imoen/Nahlia/of the Mass Effect games. She’s technically adult and does “adult things” sure but her demeanor is meant to remind you of someone whose out to learn about the world with the player characters help and has child like tendencies. There’s a lot more than that but BioWare stick to the same few archetypes for every game.

in what way is mission vao not like 12

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you

Sidda
Oct 14, 2012

Shugojin posted:

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You dumb loving rear end in a top hat.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
loving incel breakdown.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Awful lot of creepy Talifuckers in here itt

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Generic American posted:

That’s how I saw the whole pilgrimage stuff too

Liara in the first game came off more like the young, shy nerd girl, like tripping over herself in your first ship conversation with her or her telling the whole crew “I’m 112, considered young by my people.”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

All I'm gonna say is that there's a reason why the Tali sweat guy chose Tali.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They should have had Tali take her helmet off and be revealed as a tentacle monster.

Although knowing the internet that would still turn some people on.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If you dig deep enough, you’ll probably find all sorts of weird biology headcanon/fantasies for the aliens

But this is the Dragon Age thread, so here’s David Gaider talking about how he wrote Shael

https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1065423558916984832?s=20

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I like Cassandra, she has abs for days.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beefstew posted:

She’s the proto kassandra from asscreed

And the romance novel scene does own

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Beefstew posted:

It’s too bad she has the same body model as every other female human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

She’s the proto kassandra from asscreed

Now that is a fanfic waiting to happen.