Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

pretty sure that clicking on your top level shield/herald/title will also bring up the holder demense window as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Got someone you don't want to have kids?
Just give them this:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Do artifacts pass to heirs on death or get buried with you?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

China isn't actually playable, the closest you can get is playing the Western Protectorate.

This is as far as the map goes:

The Western Protectorate actually explicitly isn't playable. You can I think play as a feudal vassal, but not the Governor himself.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Do artifacts pass to heirs on death or get buried with you?

They'll usually get passed down but there's a small chance that they'll be lost on succession.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jfood posted:

pretty sure that clicking on your top level shield/herald/title will also bring up the holder demense window as well.

That's how I do it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

GHOST_BUTT posted:

They'll usually get passed down but there's a small chance that they'll be lost on succession.

Equipped items can't be lost, thankfully.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
If you don’t give your equipment to your rival, ambitious son so you can commit suicide by dueling, I don’t know what to say.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tehan posted:

Equipped items can't be lost, thankfully.

Yeah it's usually religious artifacts or books that wind up missing. That sucks real bad sometimes though: my persistent fear is that my idiot ruler loses a few magna opera that he was too dumb to use in life and too dumb to secure in death.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Mongols are starting to look a bit threatening

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

Mongols are starting to look a bit threatening

Imagine bordering both your HRE and the Mongols.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Imagine bordering both your HRE and the Mongols.
Alfred von Schlieffen might have some helpful ideas.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

evenworse username posted:

Well, I just had my second Crusade and the Pope decided to give Jerusalem to my son and heir.

Thank you?

I should have known it - after this gift from the video game Pope the son in question died of an infected wound, meaning that a) Jerusalem is now in the hands of his tiny daughter and b) not only will all these holdings not get united when my current king dies, but now the stuff I had used to land my son with have been sliced off my kingdom.

There's one easy way to fix this, which means I am now contemplating the murder of a 9 year old child.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 22, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

There's one easy way to fix this, which means I am now contemplating the murder of a 9 year old child.

Yesterday I ordered 5 kids killed in less than I year so I could trade a county outside of my duchy for an adjacent one inside it.

Pretty Borders are important

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Yesterday I ordered 5 kids killed in less than I year so I could trade a county outside of my duchy for an adjacent one inside it.

you should look up the tyrannical bloodline my dude

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Broken Cog posted:

Got someone you don't want to have kids?
Just give them this:

Nah, that one's useful for bootstrapping hermetic artifacts into activity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Torrannor posted:

Did you read my overview of the DLCs in the OP? If you did, you would know that after Conclave and Old Gods, Way of Life is the third must have DLC :mad:

Why would I read the op? its better just kramer into threads with a question. :derp:

Anyways, I did grab it, and reapers due, why not?

I'll probably have to start a new game, which is probably for the better, because My petty kings kept dying at really young ages from stubbed toes and being talked to to loud.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Can you get the murder bloodline through assassinations, or does it have to be executions?

Also, I played around a bit with the Assassins society, and there doesn't seem to be that much new stuff there, unfortunately.

I think it’s any kill at all. Even ones that aren’t known to the world at large like successful assassinations or satanic sacrifices will still count towards your body count. Winning duels and killing commanders on the battlefield should also count.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure people dying of natural causes in prison count too

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Fat Samurai posted:

It's really the risk of the Familial Kinslayer malus that is giving me second thoughts and I know this does not say anything good about my post-CK2 ethics

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

dynamic insults own

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man, the warrior lodge adventure can be nasty if you don't have absolutely insane combat ability starting it. Unlike normal duels, you appear to be guaranteed an injury of some sort every single time, which can rapidly drop your combat skill. And it's currently bugged so if you ever don't fight, the chain drops out entirely.

It's really the risk of the Familial Kinslayer malus that is giving me second thoughts and I know this does not say anything good about my post-CK2 ethics
You know, there's a forged bloodline from murder you can get that will clear that up for you.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Hey thread, this game is on sale right now. I enjoy EU4 a lot. Like, really a lot, it's because my second most played game ever on Steam in a matter of months. So I think I'm going to purchase this game along with most of all to the DLC. And yes, I know how expensive that is.

My main question is, are there any tutorials or recommended let's plays to learn the game with all the DLCs added? I know Holy Fury just came out, I can probably learn that one separately, but there is a ton of DLCs, all with separate mechanics that work together in various ways I'm sure. A lot of tutorials I see work with the base game, and after all the DLC the game changes like crazy. Any advice?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

trapped mouse posted:

My main question is, are there any tutorials or recommended let's plays to learn the game with all the DLCs added? I know Holy Fury just came out, I can probably learn that one separately, but there is a ton of DLCs, all with separate mechanics that work together in various ways I'm sure. A lot of tutorials I see work with the base game, and after all the DLC the game changes like crazy. Any advice?

The tutorials linked in the OP still work pretty well for explaining how the bones of the game work, as long as you're playing a Catholic feudal like it is. The only DLC that will really throw that off is Conclave, which I would recommend turning off for a first-time player. Every other DLC either makes a new, different type of ruler playable (the Republic, Old Gods, Sword of Islam, etc.) or just adds a couple more plates to spin on top of the tutorial game (Way of Life, Reaper's Due, Monks & Mystics).

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Fat Samurai posted:

A vassal killed my favorite son and chosen heir, so I imprisoned him, killed all of his children and siblings, then revoked his title and threw him in the oubliette where he died five years later.

Do NOT mess up my succession plans, fool.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

big dyke energy posted:

A vassal killed my favorite son and chosen heir, so I imprisoned him, killed all of his children and siblings, then revoked his title and threw him in the oubliette where he died five years later.

Do NOT mess up my succession plans, fool.

Wow, vindictive much?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I have a pile of the testes and eyes of those who wronged me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
On the topic of LPs, there are three CK2 LPs currently ongoing that I can see, which I've just added to the OP.

The first LP, done by PoorWeather, is of the alternative start from the mod Winter King, taking place in 476, during the migration period. The LP was started a little bit before Holy Fury came out, so it doesn't have all the newest features.

Then there's one LP by Crisis Now, showing off the new Shattered World feature. It's also in the fine SA Paradox LP tradition a Crete playthrough!

Last, but certainly not least, tunapirate has a Shia Muslim LP, which hasn't been done as far as I can see. It's also pre-Holy Fury, but interesting nonetheless. Muslims were imho the playable faction least impacted by Holy Fury, this should be for the most parts even in the current state of the game.

So I hope you guys check out the LP and perhaps participate in the threads if you find them interesting enough :)

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 22, 2018

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Are there general rule of thumbs on how to set the vassal obligation laws? Is there some “correct” mixture of each vassal types.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How do you win holy wars if your allies are too stupid to keep their armies together.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The liberate coreligionists CB is excellent for hugely spreading a reformed faith - managed to capture the caliph so now we have a full on African reformed empire spanning from Spain to India.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Captain Beans posted:

Are there general rule of thumbs on how to set the vassal obligation laws? Is there some “correct” mixture of each vassal types.

Max troops from feudal, max tax from cities, temples in between. City troops suck and feudal holdings don't generate much money.

edit: your vassals know this, and will fight against it, trying to get the opposite.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TaurusTorus posted:

Max troops from feudal, max tax from cities, temples in between.

I tend to leave nobles in the middle as well, because I like cash, and don't actually need their troops; and if I'm playing a villainous dynasty I go for max troops from clerics, because they seldom pay me. But max gold from burghers is essential.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One caveat to the “max gold from cities” thing is that troop requirements affect ships as well and if you have a vassal merchant republic they can supply a shitload of ships which you won’t get on 100% gold.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One caveat to the “max gold from cities” thing is that troop requirements affect ships as well and if you have a vassal merchant republic they can supply a shitload of ships which you won’t get on 100% gold.

I've found this usually isn't a huge deal. If you have a lot of coastal feudal vassals they will generally give you more ships than you need, and if you have an overseas province you can hire mercenary ships at a pretty reasonable cost.

Stairmaster posted:

How do you win holy wars if your allies are too stupid to keep their armies together.

If you're the war leader you can actually boss around your allies. In the military tab you can tell them to either focus on sieging enemy counties or hunt down enemy armies, or you can click on one of your armies and tell your allies to follow them around.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-39-as-you-wish.997186/

Huh, apparently you can actually tell them to capture specific counties too. Almost 1,000 hours in and I'm still learning new stuff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What kind of holdings should I fill my spare slots in my demesne with?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I fill my capitol with castles (and hold them). Everything else in my demense is 50/50 baronies and castles.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you are feudal and have the demense space to personally hold them: Castles

If you're a merchant republic, you're Feudal but don't have the demense to hold the slot yourself, or the county is very rich because it's on a trade route: Cities

Churches are situationally useful for non-Catholic characters, particularly if you're allowed to personally hold them. For Catholics they're pretty useless and you'd get more of what you want (taxes or troops) from other holding types.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Prioritize in this order

1. Castles in your capital county
2. Castles in your capital duchy that aren't in your capital county
3. Castles anywhere else in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Asehujiko posted:

What kind of holdings should I fill my spare slots in my demesne with?

We had this conversation a few posts back but since everyone is telling you castles I'll just repeat my suggestion: castles in counties you'll keep forever, cities everywhere else.