Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man I love it when you nominate a successor and give them an electoral position to make it easier except then that person votes against themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Well, I just had my second Crusade and the Pope decided to give Jerusalem to my son and heir.

Thank you?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I just declared a holy war on a Buddhist Nomadic Horde.

They called both the Byzantines (Orthodox) and the Seljuks (Sunni) in as allies. And no, they weren't vassals of the Nomads either.

Also in general, why are Nomads so strong? I had a 10k stack go against a 5k nomad stack (same amount of HA) and the Nomads won.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I just declared a holy war on a Buddhist Nomadic Horde.

They called both the Byzantines (Orthodox) and the Seljuks (Sunni) in as allies. And no, they weren't vassals of the Nomads either.

Also in general, why are Nomads so strong? I had a 10k stack go against a 5k nomad stack (same amount of HA) and the Nomads won.

did you have really high threat? at some point defensive pacts can cross religious lines

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Could be a lot of factors. Light cavalry for example is a good quality troop, a lot better than light infantry for example. Horde armies exclusively consist of light or heavy cavalry, and horse archers. It's not too unusual to beat a bigger number of soldiers with higher quality troops. There are also certain modifiers for tengris, enhancing their cavalry armies, as well as special buildings in the nomad capital, giving cavalry bonuses as well. Also, there are certain battlefield tactics that make all cavalry armies really powerful.

As for why they were able to call in the Byzantines and Seljuks, they perhaps had marriage alliances? Check the character page of the khan, under the ledger "pacts", you can see what alliances and non-aggression pacts they have. If you hover over them, it will also tell you the source of the pact/alliance.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pure ponies get better tactics, Tengrii gives bonus pony damage, commanders tend to be fairly good (and even better now because they go into lodges a lot)

Also you probably suffered under the awful threat mechanic

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

horse archers are gud, plus if you engage in a steppe province (maybe plains as well?) I believe they get some nasty bonuses. If you are like me you will also inevitably forget that the Khagan can call the other clans in as well

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Volkerball posted:

Has anyone toyed around with using a dynamic mercenary company as a varangian guard of sorts? I'd like to dump like 10k into one and then put it on permanent retainer, but I'm not sure it's possible to do it cost effectively even in my rich rear end silk road republic game. And I'd be afraid of it disbanding when a leader dies or through an event or something and my initial investment disappearing. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if those types of mercenaries disband when the leader dies or not either. They're not actually your vassal when you form them though right? Probably the best way would be to give them money until they get enough men to siege a holding, then hire them when you're purposely broke so they attack you, let them win, then vassalize them later, either by just offering it if they're in your de jure lands or using the force vassalization cb. It's been a long time since I've vassalized a mercenary company but I think they'd be basically just like the varangians for the byzantines then. If you try this post the outcome because I'd be interested to see how it works with the dynamic companies. Will they get absolutely huge if they're constantly pulling in income from holdings?

Speaking of vassalizing weird things, any tips on vassalizing holy orders? I probably could've figured out a way but I was dealing with other things in my africa game and it wasn't immediately apparent how I was going to do it with their holy order.

e: I just loaded it up to check and I'm getting a big hit on offering vassalization due to the leader of the spirit guardians being of a foreign culture, but since I wiped out basically every other african culture that shouldn't be a problem much longer and enough bribes / swaying might be able to do it.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 21, 2018

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So it turns out if you hate your wife you get a different response to the message people are trying to kill her.

I loving love this game.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Assassinate my wife, please!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grizzwold posted:

So it turns out if you hate your wife you get a different response to the message people are trying to kill her.

I loving love this game.

can you join the plot

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, you can refuse a strong claim duel? So how do I get the Kingdom of my idiot brother?
Who is the idiot now?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hah. Okay, here's a silly error. You may remember they mentioned, in the dev diary on the return of Hellenism, they mentioned that if a Greek-cultured character reforms the Hellenic faith, the gods return to their Greek names instead of the Roman equivalents. But someone submitted a bug report saying that this wasn't happening, and indeed I found the same in my greek amazon game - not only did they keep the Roman names, but I didn't divest the male gods despite using the enatic clans. It's quite odd, as they have this whole section of code written in scripted_effects to change gods around - not just for Hellenism, but for all the pagan faiths. You're supposed to be able to keep just the male or female gods by using agnatic or enatic clans, or have a single high god and nothing else if you take Dogmatic nature. Plus Hellenism potentially switching to Poseidon/Neptune as their high god if they take seafaring.

The problem? The line that actually calls that code has been commented out. That's it. I took out the #, and it works. (Not totally perfectly, admittedly; they switched the english and french localisation for GOD_GREEK_JUPITER, so it says Zeús instead of Zeus, and for some reason I can't immediately figure out the extra copy of Zeus that appears in the "gods" column instead of "high god" is just blank. But still, mostly working.) Bit of an oversight there.

edit: Oh, I forgot to mention one of the best bits in the commented-out code: If you take Holy Family, the reformer's family (self, spouse, one child, one sibling) all become gods of the religion. If you take holy family with temporal head, the reformer becomes the High God of the religion.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Speaking of vassalizing weird things, any tips on vassalizing holy orders? I probably could've figured out a way but I was dealing with other things in my africa game and it wasn't immediately apparent how I was going to do it with their holy order.

e: I just loaded it up to check and I'm getting a big hit on offering vassalization due to the leader of the spirit guardians being of a foreign culture, but since I wiped out basically every other african culture that shouldn't be a problem much longer and enough bribes / swaying might be able to do it.

Relative size and power matters as well. In a past Zoroastrian game, Charlemagne start instead of Old Gods, I started as a Sogdian vassal of the Abbasid tributaries up in Transoxiana; when I reformed the Persian Empire, the Immortals took issue to my not being Persian and refused to accept being my vassals despite, you know, them continuing the legacy of the royal army of the Persian emperor, i.e. Me, and since their military might was comparable to my own they seemed to feel like they'd rather do their own thing. It was annoying.

Conveniently, however, the moabadan-moabad had declared a great holy war for Syria or something around that same time. So I called on the Immortals, which they readily accepted of course, and marched them into the enemy. Then I directed them to places other than my own army and had them storm every holding they encountered for a while; their massive numbers made it so they took over them all quickly, but they also suffered massive casualties. Once I had reduced them to about a quarter of their original size, maybe less, I asked them again if they would accept vassalage. They were much more compliant then.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

There is sooo much burning to get that raider bloodline. Fastest i've reformed Germanic though :v: Got it done in 7-8 years. My bloodline has those thre lines from Saga, my sister Matrilinially married Ragnarr Lodbrok, and Sigudr's wife ended up hero of the lodge and went plundering with me, founding her own line, so my sister's kids have a line form her and Ragnarr, while my kids got those three. if we incest right, looking at 5 blood lines from 3 family members.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
When it comes to holy order vassalization, just wait until some dudes of your culture and preferrably your dynasty get elected to lead then vassalize?

Like, this scenario is exactly what that event is for. Dynastic prestige and size will eventually solve the problem, but tbh vassalizing holy orders is very meh for pagans because it means that you're weakened your faith as a whole for your benefit.

I really wish, btw, that I could shame fuckers into joining my holy wars like I assume the pope can. Not joining my great holy wars is loving rear end and while I can usually take them on alone it's dumb as hell.

winterwerefox posted:

There is sooo much burning to get that raider bloodline. Fastest i've reformed Germanic though :v: Got it done in 7-8 years. My bloodline has those thre lines from Saga, my sister Matrilinially married Ragnarr Lodbrok, and Sigudr's wife ended up hero of the lodge and went plundering with me, founding her own line, so my sister's kids have a line form her and Ragnarr, while my kids got those three. if we incest right, looking at 5 blood lines from 3 family members.
Why not raid down an irish/welshman to get you their dynasties? Take them as consorts, then set them aside and matrimarry them to kinswomen/daughters. Or join the Hel society and kidnap some dudes of theirs that aren't heirs. You don't even have to use the old induct/release/invite trick anymore because you can force them via consorts into your court

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I never thought about that. i likely killed and ransomed off a bunch when i was earning my raider line. Future goals then!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm not sure if those types of mercenaries disband when the leader dies or not either. They're not actually your vassal when you form them though right? Probably the best way would be to give them money until they get enough men to siege a holding, then hire them when you're purposely broke so they attack you, let them win, then vassalize them later, either by just offering it if they're in your de jure lands or using the force vassalization cb. It's been a long time since I've vassalized a mercenary company but I think they'd be basically just like the varangians for the byzantines then. If you try this post the outcome because I'd be interested to see how it works with the dynamic companies. Will they get absolutely huge if they're constantly pulling in income from holdings?

Nah, they're not technically vassals. What I do know is that they don't invest money in themselves. It all just goes into the pocket of the grand master. The only person who can make them bigger is the head of the realm that created them, but the initial costs are dirt cheap. 50 gold for 100 cav or 100 LI, and you can upgrade the LI to pikemen or w/e, and light cav to heavy cav with another 50 gold. You get I think 15 percent of what they make. There is a use for early game characters as you can make a mercenary company, invest a bit into it until it's in the 100 gold initial hiring range, and it will bring in a bunch of money for you. I'm not sure how it would work with a vassalized dynamic mercenary company or one on permanent hire. I'll probably tinker around with it in the console a bit to see what my options are when I get to that point.

On a related note, China just entered a golden age and I just set a personal record for income by thousands.

I still have like 30+ silk road trade posts to conquer. :stare: Imagine a late game Chinese golden age with my dynasty on the Chinese throne, and a doubling of the silk road value on top of these boosts from the grace decision. loving hell. Maybe a few hundred a month upkeep on a dynamic mercenary company filled to the brim with heavy cav is an option after all. I'm hype to find out.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 22, 2018

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Deceitful Penguin posted:

When it comes to holy order vassalization, just wait until some dudes of your culture and preferrably your dynasty get elected to lead then vassalize?

Leaders of holy orders automatically change culture when they get elected. If you have Rajas of India, you could have your heir educated Persian, vassalize the order, then switch back to your capitol's culture.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So the cool crusade prep mechanic is catholic only? Cause I just had my reformed germanic religious head shout we're going to france now without any fanfare.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the fat, gay, white goonlord who identifies as black is the richest man in the world. goty

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Stairmaster posted:

So the cool crusade prep mechanic is catholic only? Cause I just had my reformed germanic religious head shout we're going to france now without any fanfare.

Yes, it's Catholic only, everybody else's stayed the same.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

Erm ... she stopped because she died.

exactly

the goal was to gently caress op over and then die

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. Okay, here's a silly error. You may remember they mentioned, in the dev diary on the return of Hellenism, they mentioned that if a Greek-cultured character reforms the Hellenic faith, the gods return to their Greek names instead of the Roman equivalents. But someone submitted a bug report saying that this wasn't happening, and indeed I found the same in my greek amazon game - not only did they keep the Roman names, but I didn't divest the male gods despite using the enatic clans. It's quite odd, as they have this whole section of code written in scripted_effects to change gods around - not just for Hellenism, but for all the pagan faiths. You're supposed to be able to keep just the male or female gods by using agnatic or enatic clans, or have a single high god and nothing else if you take Dogmatic nature. Plus Hellenism potentially switching to Poseidon/Neptune as their high god if they take seafaring.

The problem? The line that actually calls that code has been commented out. That's it. I took out the #, and it works. (Not totally perfectly, admittedly; they switched the english and french localisation for GOD_GREEK_JUPITER, so it says Zeús instead of Zeus, and for some reason I can't immediately figure out the extra copy of Zeus that appears in the "gods" column instead of "high god" is just blank. But still, mostly working.) Bit of an oversight there.

edit: Oh, I forgot to mention one of the best bits in the commented-out code: If you take Holy Family, the reformer's family (self, spouse, one child, one sibling) all become gods of the religion. If you take holy family with temporal head, the reformer becomes the High God of the religion.

poo poo, for real? That rules. @paradox fix/re-implement this asap for my Immersion

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Well it doesn't matter now cause my reformed germanic king got succeeded by an orthodox one whose now a member of the warriors of perun and working on spreading the slavic faith throughout denmark

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm trying to change to primogeniture but don't understand what the condition "Any Held Title is a Viceroyalty" means. I've looked up that a viceroyalty is a title that returns to the crown on a vassal's death, but don't know how I go about getting one. I'm the King of Pictland with two duchies controlled directly and a few others handed to vassals.

edit: nevermind, I just fulfilled another condition and now I can pass the law? I'm assuming the conditions are just presented poorly and the "one of these must be true" part refers to having a viceroyalty or being late/imperial.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 22, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

I'm trying to change to primogeniture but don't understand what the condition "Any Held Title is a Viceroyalty" means. I've looked up that a viceroyalty is a title that returns to the crown on a vassal's death, but don't know how I go about getting one. I'm the King of Pictland with two duchies controlled directly and a few others handed to vassals.

That condition would be disqualifying, you don't want to fulfill it. Viceroyalties don't let you change the inheritance method because they use that to give the title back to the owner's lord on death.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So grabbed Conclave and the Old Gods. I'm thinking about Jade Dragon, because ancient china would be neat to play, but does that also give my Khmer and other SEA civs to be available? Curious about Reapers Due as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

China isn't actually playable, the closest you can get is playing the Western Protectorate.

This is as far as the map goes:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Galaga Galaxian posted:

China isn't actually playable, the closest you can get is playing the Western Protectorate.

Ah crummy, I figured it would be like EU where it was just the middle of Asia and Africa that wasn't accessable.

Oh I was wondering where you got Retinues, and its part of the Legacy of Rome DLC. I should get that and Chalemange, they seem to add the most neat stuff.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 22, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

twistedmentat posted:

Ah crummy, I figured it would be like EU where it was just the middle of Asia and Africa that wasn't accessable.

Oh I was wondering where you got Retinues, and its part of the Legacy of Rome DLC. I should get that and Chalemange, they seem to add the most neat stuff.

Did you read my overview of the DLCs in the OP? If you did, you would know that after Conclave and Old Gods, Way of Life is the third must have DLC :mad:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

After a thousand hours I never knew this screen existed. How do you get there?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Captain Mediocre posted:

After a thousand hours I never knew this screen existed. How do you get there?

press F1

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Britain is NOT a small country!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Specifically, that's the bottom half of the Title screen, which you can get to by pressing F1, or by clicking the shield next to your character's portrait, or the shield next to somebody else's portrait if you're feeling curious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JosefStalinator posted:

Britain is NOT a small country!

Did you know that Iceland is about half as big as the Iberian Peninsula???

(And Greenland about as big as Africa!)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stupid Saxony converting as soon as I reform so I cannot Holy War the poo poo out of them :argh:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

darthbob88 posted:

Specifically, that's the bottom half of the Title screen, which you can get to by pressing F1, or by clicking the shield next to your character's portrait, or the shield next to somebody else's portrait if you're feeling curious.

No. No you just put that there. No way has that been there every time I've looked at the drat title screen for years.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That condition would be disqualifying, you don't want to fulfill it. Viceroyalties don't let you change the inheritance method because they use that to give the title back to the owner's lord on death.
Oh right, of course. I swear the condition info is written to suggest the opposite. Off the top of my head it appeared like this:

(*)One of these must be true:
(X)Any held title:
(X)Is a Viceroyalty

I guess the X signifies “you must not have a viceroyalty” instead of “you haven’t met this condition”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you get the murder bloodline through assassinations, or does it have to be executions?

Also, I played around a bit with the Assassins society, and there doesn't seem to be that much new stuff there, unfortunately.