Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When you got a juice bar and need eight of them or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stringent posted:

Why would professionals pay more for a quieter model though?

So you can use it in a restaurant kitchen without drowning out conversation in the dining room, maybe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stringent posted:

Jamba juice, Starbucks, juice bars, any open kitchen with a blender, any other kitchen with a blender

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

I love my vitamix but it is definitely not the solution to your "loud as hell" problems

I understand a high end blender is going to be loud, but the Blendtec noise is just obnoxious... From what I understand the Vitamix is the quieter of the two options, especially the G-Series line. Personally I don't mind loud equipment, but I live in an apartment so I have to take it into consideration.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Stringent posted:

repeated loud noise exposure can lead to claims / osh compliance issues, so that may factor in

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

How well does the compact model handle bread dough or pizza dough? Other mixers right in that price range appear to be tearing themselves apart and struggling to do bread doughs.

Also that Nutrimill Artiste mixer looks pretty impressive for the money too. Apparently all of the Bosch Universal attachments work with it.

I've mostly moved to stretch and fold for bread so rarely use it for bread doughs, so it's not like I'm putting it under load day after day, but I've never had an issue. At 400W it's not quite as powerful as the "professional" KA models I think, but it's better than most of the consumer level stuff. I think in general though it's the gearboxes that crap out before the motors though when under heavy load, so comparing motor wattage isn't necessarily going to be the most important thing.

If I was making so much bread that I was worried my compact wouldn't keep up, I'm not sure I'd settle for one of those bowl type mixers like the Universal Plus or Artiste, I'd try and find a used entry level commercial mixer of some sort from a restaurant equipment auction.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 30, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

My refurb Vitamix showed up today already. What a difference in sound and build quality compared to the Blendtec. I’m glad I bought when I did, looks like the price jumped back up.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So Thanksgiving is approaching, and I’m looking for a cheap and simple turkey fryer system. Preferably one that doesn’t use gas, but I don’t know if that even exists.

Does that exist?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A big honking gas burner is just about the only way to get and hold that much thermal mass to temp.

Ive certainly never seen an electric fryer with that kind of capacity that wasn’t designed (and priced) for a commercial kitchen.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MrYenko posted:

A big honking gas burner is just about the only way to get and hold that much thermal mass to temp.

Ive certainly never seen an electric fryer with that kind of capacity that wasn’t designed (and priced) for a commercial kitchen.

This is the only electric turkey fryer on Amazon that uses oil.

Is it any good? The reviews look strong.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I own one and it's... Ok. It will cook a turkey but it just doesn't have enough power to crisp up the skin and make it nice. I loved it at first but as time goes by, I notice the oily skin more and more.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I uhh...... don’t suppose it’s possible to put a fryer pot on a charcoal grill and heat the oil that way... is it?

I’m assuming no?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I uhh...... don’t suppose it’s possible to put a fryer pot on a charcoal grill and heat the oil that way... is it?

I’m assuming no?

That’s a perfect recipe for the most dangerous grease fire you’ve ever seen. Don’t do it.

Edit: that being said, smoking/grilling a turkey on a charcoal grill is a very delicious option.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

plester1 posted:

That’s a perfect recipe for the most dangerous grease fire you’ve ever seen. Don’t do it.

Yeah I didn’t think so.

Thanks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

plester1 posted:

Edit: that being said, smoking/grilling a turkey on a charcoal grill is a very delicious option.

I was actually thinking about doing both. Smoke it at a super low non-cooking temp like ~170° or so for a few hours to give it a nice smoke flavor, then inject it with butter and fry it till it’s done.

I love smoked turkey and this seems like a good way of getting the best of both worlds.

So anyway, if the Butterball Electric isn’t a good fryer, what’s a good propane option?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

So anyway, if the Butterball Electric isn’t a good fryer, what’s a good propane option?

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classi...GR9L&ref=plSrch

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah I'd cosign this, Bayou Classic has pretty much become the go-to brand for equipment for turkey frying/crawfish boiling/other outdoor cooking activities that feed dozens.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Turkey fryers basically come in two flavors, defined by which regulator they come with. A 10psi regulator will make roughly 60k BTU. A 20psi regulator about 120k.

You can get great results with a smaller one (mine is a cheap knockoff and works great,) but if you’re using it to do like, a bunch of birds, or multiple batches of crawfish or something, the bigger version will come to temp a whole bunch faster.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They’re too small for a turkey unless you cut it up (maybe chicken fried turkey should be a thing?) but if you need a serious fryer for fish or chicken or whatever these things are amazing:
https://cajunfryer.com/product-category/cajun-fryer/
We fry a gallon of oysters every year at thanksgiving and got one a few years and it changed the world. I fried 5 chickens worth of fried chicken last weekend in like an hour. Heats up fast and stays hot and they sound like a jet engine so you know you’re really cookin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

Turkey fryers basically come in two flavors, defined by which regulator they come with. A 10psi regulator will make roughly 60k BTU. A 20psi regulator about 120k.

You can get great results with a smaller one (mine is a cheap knockoff and works great,) but if you’re using it to do like, a bunch of birds, or multiple batches of crawfish or something, the bigger version will come to temp a whole bunch faster.

AFAIK a 20lb propane tank doesn’t have enough pressure to feed more than a 50k BTU burner

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Steve Yun posted:

AFAIK a 20lb propane tank doesn’t have enough pressure to feed more than a 50k BTU burner

You’ll dump the tank pretty smartly (particularly if you get lightly-filled exchange tanks,) But tank pressure on a full 20lb bottle is something like 150psi. It’ll run a 20psi regulated burner fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I was actually thinking about doing both. Smoke it at a super low non-cooking temp like ~170° or so for a few hours to give it a nice smoke flavor, then inject it with butter and fry it till it’s done.

I love smoked turkey and this seems like a good way of getting the best of both worlds.

you should have no problem getting a nice crispy skin on a big green egg

it wont be fried turkey grade crispy skin but it will be good and all of it will get eaten

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Instant pot Congee question.

I have, what I consider to be a really good recipe I like to use from the website. It has one of those conversions for serving t text box and it says it serves six. I want to bump it up to eight and I’m not concerned about any of the other ingredients except for the water ratio. Considering it’s an instant pot should I consider the water to be in the same ratio or do I need to be worried about that?

Says: 7 cups of water for 6 servings

9.33 cups of water for 8 servings.

I’ve made the 7 serving quantity a few times before with success. Just curious if the ratio for the rice/water seems
sound.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 3, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would think if it's a recipe that would otherwise be made in a pot that you can get away with a little less water since less will evaporate due to the nature of pressure cooking. I don't think we're talking more than like a 5% difference so I would just make it as per normal and see how it goes.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I own one and it's... Ok. It will cook a turkey but it just doesn't have enough power to crisp up the skin and make it nice. I loved it at first but as time goes by, I notice the oily skin more and more.

Yeah I got one a few years ago and I've used it twice. It's a good option if you need the oven free for other things or need to make more than one turkey. For me the extra expense/hassle of the oil is the main reason I don't use it more.
It's real good for making a whole bunch of fried chicken at once, though.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
spatchcocking is more energy efficient, uses a fraction of the oil, gives you hella crispy skin, and you can roast veg at the same time in the rendered fat

but yeah no otherwise tho big green egg all the way

I. M. Gei posted:

this only might work if you do it in reverse. smoke flavor, like marinade, barely gets past the surface unless yr workin with like tofu

also why are you bothering with “injecting butter” just cook it to a temp where the connective tissues break down in the dark meat (195 F)

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 5, 2018

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is this a good blender/food processor?
Lady wants something for smoothies and to help chop up food quicker.
I'm looking for a quasi juicer(until I grab Breville Juice Fountain for the home bar) and i have no idea if this will help me at all

Edit: Black Friday friendly is a plus

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is this a good blender/food processor?
Lady wants something for smoothies and to help chop up food quicker.
I'm looking for a quasi juicer(until I grab Breville Juice Fountain for the home bar) and i have no idea if this will help me at all

Edit: Black Friday friendly is a plus

I have the slightly older model of this, and love it. It won't completely liquify fruit seeds like a blendtec/vitamix will, but it's pretty close. It's 80% as good, for 30% the price. It's actually better for some really thick stuff like hummus, since the blades going all the way up are much better at keeping a vortex going.

The food processor side works fine, it's just not very big.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Humongous sales (50% and 44% respectively) on the 8qt IP and the 14 cup Cuisinart food processor, 24 hour flash sale for the IP.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Programmable-Pressure-Steamer/dp/B01B1VC13K
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DFP-14BCNY-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01AXM4WV2

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 23, 2018

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Humongous sales (50% and 44% respectively) on the 8qt IP and the 14 cup Cuisinart food processor, 24 hour flash sale for the IP.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DFP-14BCNY-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01AXM4WV2

Looks like the same deal in the uk, thanks I just got myself an instant pot :D

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Are there any guidelines for picking a hot plate, or is 1800w induction good enough for almost anything? My stove is a set of four medium burners.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Costco is currently running a $70 manufacturer coupon special on the Vitamix Explorian 320 blender, which gets you a Vitamix with the 2.2 HP motor that the higher-end ones have for $279.99. That's by far the cheapest I've ever seen a non-refurb Vitamix.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I picked up an Instant Pot in the black friday sales and I have to say it may be the best thing in my kitchen and I've spent a lot of money on kitchen stuff in the past year. I've not even made anything that flashy yet, some lemon herb chicken breasts, a beef stew and a bolognese, but they all tasted amazing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AnonSpore posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUCK WHY DIDN’T I CLICK ON THIS THREAD A WEEK AGO?!?!? :cry:

I’ve been needing a food processor and somebody in another thread recommended that exact one. :(

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a kitchenaid km100ps mixer, what’s a good meat grinder attachment? Should I just get the kitchenaid brand one?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

https://www.smokehousechef.com/the-original-stainless-steel-meat-grinder-food-chopper-attachment-for-kitchenaid-mixer/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Whichever one you get, make sure it’s all metal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DYRLMNE/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 2, 2018

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Shout for Jamba brand juicer from amazon.
Super, super quiet with external cover on, not too terribly loud within the second.
With the second cover on you u can talk to someone in normal voice right next to it while grinding ice.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Any reccomendations for nonstick pans? Ours recently expired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I always suggest going to Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon and getting their Calphalon 10 & 12 inch two pack ($50 MSRP, $40 after coupon). They last me about 5 years