Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

I bought a house today so uh, not yet.

HELOC your deposit out of it!

(Don't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rhyno posted:

I bought a house today so uh, not yet.

Tell the bank to give you a double mortgage, problem solved. The rates might be better to boot.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Welp, the turbo blew out on my '18 Civic Si - usually pulling 17-20psi of boost pressure, now the boost gauge keeps fluttering and wont go over 11psi. I pulled on to the highway, floored it in 6th as a test and my rpm's actually dropped and it struggled to go over 67mph. Car is bone stock. Sucks because I need to drive about 500 miles this weekend. Oh well if it fully explodes its under warranty I guess. I wonder what the hell happened... I only have about 6k miles on it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Check all your pipes before blaming it on the turbo, could be a pipe pop off. It could be a much easier fix than turbo replacement.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yeah hopefully just some plumbing, going to bring it to the dealer as soon as I can.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe I still have PTSD from United, but flying Delta domestic as Platinum gets me upgraded 99% of the time and they treat me great.

I've even been upgraded to first on flights to Mexico and stuff where you get real food on real plates with metal silverware. I nearly cried.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Maybe I still have PTSD from United, but flying Delta domestic as Platinum gets me upgraded 99% of the time and they treat me great.

I've even been upgraded to first on flights to Mexico and stuff where you get real food on real plates with metal silverware. I nearly cried.

Wrong tab mang, that goes to the business travel thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oooh where is that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

oooh where is that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516448

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks pal

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

Wrong tab mang, that goes to the business travel thread.

Ah poo poo. Not sure how I did that since I posted from the app?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Voltage posted:

Welp, the turbo blew out on my '18 Civic Si - usually pulling 17-20psi of boost pressure, now the boost gauge keeps fluttering and wont go over 11psi. I pulled on to the highway, floored it in 6th as a test and my rpm's actually dropped and it struggled to go over 67mph. Car is bone stock. Sucks because I need to drive about 500 miles this weekend. Oh well if it fully explodes its under warranty I guess. I wonder what the hell happened... I only have about 6k miles on it.

you're supposed to be in the correct gear for that kinda poo poo dude

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Voltage posted:

turbo blew out on my '18 Civic Si... floored it in 6th

:thunk:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I got up to 6th at highway speeds and just hit the gas going about 55 and it struggled to get even to 70. It usually pulls very strong even in 6th. Must be something loose or the ecu is doing something funny in the cold. I guess this only started happening once it got very cold out, but i would imagine id feel MORE power in the cold...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The "joke" is that doing that in a turbo car is BAD for your engine.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, always be downshifting when you want to power on like that. Google engine lugging for a better explanation than I could give.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 22, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it completely stock?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yup bone stock, haven't touched a thing, and I won't until the warranty is up - I would be making GBS threads myself if this happened and I had done mods. This is basically my 'brand new always will work don't gently caress with it' car.

How could doing a 6th gear pull at 55mph possibly be even remotely, 1% bad for a brand new car? It just builds the boost a bit slower and I would normally downshift if I really needed to get on it. My last 2 cars were turbos and I had absolutely zero issues with power.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's fine, it's not like you mashed it at 10mph in 3rd, the civic is geared short so 6th at 55 isn't like 1.5k building full boost

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 22, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Even then, it's got an electronic throttle, boost control, and a contemporary ECU. No combination of throttle input, engine rpm, and external load should ever result in engine damage. It's all in control by the ECU which should be assessing the current conditions and driver input and modulating the throttle to ensure the engine operates within a safe operating envelope.

This is speculation but a modem car should be capable of handling a complete moron at the controls without damaging itself, barring things that aren't under its control (i.e. Clutch operation on a manual)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bajaha posted:

Even then, it's got an electronic throttle, boost control, and a contemporary ECU. No combination of throttle input, engine rpm, and external load should ever result in engine damage. It's all in control by the ECU which should be assessing the current conditions and driver input and modulating the throttle to ensure the engine operates within a safe operating envelope.

This is speculation but a modem car should be capable of handling a complete moron at the controls without damaging itself, barring things that aren't under its control (i.e. Clutch operation on a manual)

Tell that to Focus ST owners. People are blowing motors from LSPI even stock.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Is Ford at least covering those under warranty?

LSPI should be something that the ecu can protect against as it has control of the throttle, my guess is it's not programmed to prevent LSPI.

All I'm really saying is that the capability is there although likely not implemented. An engine speed limiter / red line would be a good comparison for this, prior to their widespread implementing if you pegged the throttle full open while the engine was decoupled from the drivetrain you'd likely over rev the engine and internals would become externals. It's technically the operators fault for putting the engine in that situation but a rev limiter means you can do the same improper control inputs without destroying your engine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not that simple. LSPI isn't 100% predictable because it depends on how fast you actually accelerate. The only way to totally remove the possibility in most manual turbo cars is for the engine to not build boost pressure under 2k RPM. Cars that know what gear you're in and could potentially say "whoa there, no power for you until you downshift," but how many manual cars have the sensors to do that when the clutch is in? My RS doesn't. What would be fine in second at 1500 could cause your engine to turn inside out in sixth at 1500.

Edit: read this https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/resolving-low-speed-pre-ignition/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 23, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Your RS doesn't have boost by gear? Even the FiST did.

e: What I am getting at is that the thing knows what gear you are in, requests a certain amount of torque, then varies boost/ignition/fueling based on how it is responding.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 23, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Your RS doesn't have boost by gear? Even the FiST did.

e: What I am getting at is that the thing knows what gear you are in, requests a certain amount of torque, then varies boost/ignition/fueling based on how it is responding.

It knows what gear you're in by comparing the speed of the input and output shafts. It doesn't have a sensor that monitors the position of the shifter (if it did, it would know you were in neutral without pressing the clutch, and it does not). But in any case, it will let you lug the engine in 6th if you put your foot down, which means that LSPI is 100% possible. Manufacturers still don't know exactly what causes it except lots of torque down low and that what oil and gas you use affects it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 23, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think we're in agreement here now, getting an engine to operate at high torque below 2000rpm is when LSPI occurs, and the simple solution is to simply severely limiting the available torque during that operation (and as pointed out modern cars can figure out which gear they're in without much trouble).

But the simple solution is not really a solution since sacrificing performance in that region defeats one of the main reasons for going to smaller turbocharged engines in the first place. Leaving only the more complicated approaches of solving this issue by looking at engine design, oil formulation, and fuel formulation as the article you linked stated.

So yeah... Planting your foot down in a high gear at low rpm in a turbo car is bad juju.

Civic guy - :rip: your engine (it's probably just a popped off hose though, no CEL is odd if that were the case, does the engine sound noticeably different now?)

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The FiST gets around being a dick in 6th quite elegantly with really short gears. I'm spinning around 2700 while going 60.

Would I stomp it from there? God no. Could I safely? Possibly? Maybe? I'm not dumb enough to try?

It feels like a problem to be solved with materials, since the vast majority of people aren't going to educate themselves or change.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Torque curves before and after a tune make it look like they actually are reducing output at lower rpm intentionally on the FiST. I dunno if it’s to prevent LSPI but seems plausible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I noticed that on the RS, too. Most aftermarket tunes I've seen don't increase the top-end HP all that much, but add a poo poo ton of torque down low. Ford pretty obviously left quite a bit of performance on the table and I don't think it's because they thought it was already fast enough. Then again, I don't think I've heard of an RS blowing up on a stage 1 tune. They're pretty overbuilt.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I doubt it's LSPI since the engine itself sounds fine, there's no CEL, and it drives fine up until full throttle in any gear. If I drive like a grandma you wouldn't notice anything is wrong, but once you go WOT in any gear it bogs down super hard and even drops revs. Very uncomfortable feeling especially when merging onto the highway. Butt dyno feels like a ~50hp loss or so.

Either way I have a service appointment on Monday, hopefully just a loose hose...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Voltage posted:

I doubt it's LSPI since the engine itself sounds fine, there's no CEL, and it drives fine up until full throttle in any gear. If I drive like a grandma you wouldn't notice anything is wrong, but once you go WOT in any gear it bogs down super hard and even drops revs. Very uncomfortable feeling especially when merging onto the highway. Butt dyno feels like a ~50hp loss or so.

Either way I have a service appointment on Monday, hopefully just a loose hose...

Does it build boost at all?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting it was LSPI causing your issue. I was saying that it's a bad idea to do high gear pulls in general, even to test.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
It builds boost but once it hits max boost (about 11psi, normally 17+) the meter flutters and it drops revs a bit, significant reduction in power, same thing in every gear.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Voltage posted:

It builds boost but once it hits max boost (about 11psi, normally 17+) the meter flutters and it drops revs a bit, significant reduction in power, same thing in every gear.

Sounds like it could be running on just wastegate spring, maybe the actuator/gate is bad.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
agreed with the above

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sat in a 2019 Veloster today. The interior feels great, but god drat the rear window is small as hell. Feels like I would have to heavily lean on the rear camera due to poor visibility.

*edit*
Hell, almost every hatchback aside from the 500 Abarth and the Fiesta ST/ST Line had that poor rear viz issue.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 24, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bentai posted:

Sat in a 2019 Veloster today. The interior feels great, but god drat the rear window is small as hell. Feels like I would have to heavily lean on the rear camera due to poor visibility.

*edit*
Hell, almost every hatchback aside from the 500 Abarth and the Fiesta ST/ST Line had that poor rear viz issue.

Assuming you didn't forget the word "hot" in here, the Fit isn't bad for rear vis.

Though I've read about people swapping turbo'd engines into Fits and it sounds like a hoot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can buy a turn-key K24 Fit from TCS

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

You can buy a turn-key K24 Fit from TCS

gonna need a link for this.

Adbot