Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

as the article states, his only problem is snoring and using cpap is optional. he took the mask off because it was uncomfortable and he would prefer to use a mask he doesn't have yet. his health insurer, who he pays premiums to for many things including marriage quality, is ratfucking him by making his wife eject him to the couch.

the problem is the loving ridiculous system y'all live under. That's the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

anybody who defends the insurance industry can join the execs against the loving wall when the time comes

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

muckswirler posted:

if your main insurance concern is a cpap machine and not regularly having your limbs reattached and organs replaced, it'd be nice if the insurance company would just support that minimal outlay

the robocop reboot loving sucked

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was a cool creepy scene though

You know the one

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Schadenboner posted:

I'm confused: is the machine loving you in the rear end with a doughnut or do you get rear end hosed for a doughnut, like a sybarite Skinner box?

you get a donut either way and the letter of the agreement is fulfilled soooo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MononcQc posted:

the problem is the loving ridiculous system y'all live under. That's the problem.

it's this

but hey, at least they don't have to wait for non-emergency surgeries

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

i was under the impression the rise in cpap usage was connected to obesity. i suppose cpap machines are cheaper than bariatric surgery, but the latter seems like the better investment long-term.

better diagnosis is a thing; weight affects severity but your tongue being big is independent of weight

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

better diagnosis is a thing; weight affects severity but your tongue being big is independent of weight

tongue lipo for all!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

hobbesmaster posted:

imagine being diagnosed as 'fat tongued'

i'd feel like i'd gone to see a ninteenth century snake oil salesman

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

you get a donut either way and the letter of the agreement is fulfilled soooo

haha this. it's a monkey paw/twilight zone situation

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
big boned

fat tongued

but yeah, bariatric surgery long term success is pretty meh; my wife has to deal with a lot of bariatric patients and they tend to be terrible

who would think that medicalization of a psycho-social issue wouldn't work :thumbsup:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

lancemantis posted:

big boned

fat tongued

but yeah, bariatric surgery long term success is pretty meh; my wife has to deal with a lot of bariatric patients and they tend to be terrible

who would think that medicalization of a psycho-social issue wouldn't work :thumbsup:

It does work, in that insurance companies continue to make money though?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lancemantis posted:

big boned

fat tongued

I'm a server. If I had a dollar for some fatass who managed to eat themselves into reduce mobility come into my work, I'd have a lot of dollars. They always get more food than they really should too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
should i get a cpap machine? apparently everyone in yospos has one and i don't wanna fall behind as the coolest poster

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

iospace posted:

I'm a server. If I had a dollar for some fatass who managed to eat themselves into reduce mobility come into my work, I'd have a lot of dollars. They always get more food than they really should too.

Maybe you could try working at a place on the second floor? Might be harder for them to get to?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they've had bariatric surgery patients fail to even make it out of the hospital before needing to go back into surgery because they immediately violated the dietary rules and about killed themselves

like removing a bucket worth of fried chicken from their blown stomach

their families are total enablers as well

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

iospace posted:

should in the calorie sense, or should in the quarter pounder gets transmogrified into a 1 lb burger sense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

should i get a cpap machine? apparently everyone in yospos has one and i don't wanna fall behind as the coolest poster

everyone in yospos is so fat that even their tongues are fat apparently

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

you're the guy that doesn't want the non rear end loving version

buddy, they won't even let me not get hosed in the rear end

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

they've had bariatric surgery patients fail to even make it out of the hospital before needing to go back into surgery because they immediately violated the dietary rules and about killed themselves

lol how did they manage to eat too much in the hospital tho

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

That was a cool creepy scene though

You know the one

i feel like doom kind of ripped that off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

lol how did they manage to eat too much in the hospital tho

in a hotel once i watched one of those garbage tv shows about gawking at fat people and the 700lb guy was in the hospital for surgery and his family kept bringing him donuts and hamburgers and poo poo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

in a hotel once i watched one of those garbage tv shows about gawking at fat people and the 700lb guy was in the hospital for surgery and his family kept bringing him donuts and hamburgers and poo poo

:ssh: That was probably scripted, hth? :ssh:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

so how were those people allowed to do that in an immediate post-surgery setting

a lotta hospitals these days are strict about what you can bring in. were they like smuggling poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here’s the trick: everyone will have some apneas show on a sleep study (less than 5 is normal but it’s manually scored) so just find a doctor that also owns /gets kickbacks from a DME company and help him grift some insurance!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
hospitals aren't max security prisons and they aren't going to be able to strip search family members bringing a "snack" in for their "starving" family member because those mean medical people won't just let them have a "little treat"

can't they see they're suffering, just such heartless doctors!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fishmech posted:

so how were those people allowed to do that in an immediate post-surgery setting

a lotta hospitals these days are strict about what you can bring in. were they like smuggling poo poo

we have been going anti science and anti doctor for decades now, theyre just there to make money giving you unnecessary treatments! deny this dozen of krispy kreme and we'll find some chud lawyer and call Seven On Your Side

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

yes but those tv shows are partially scripted

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

that was certainly how the show portrayed it, yes

Schadenboner posted:

:ssh: That was probably scripted, hth? :ssh:

probably yeah but also we've got that guy a few posts ago talking about patients who immediately blow up their stapled stomach with fried chicken while they're still in recovery so :shrug:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
people do drugs in their recovery room, people gently caress in post-surgical, plenty of people are constantly non-compliant with post-surgical care

and these are adult human beings

the only people that get a pass are the ones that are just so drugged up they're tripping out of their minds

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

hoverwife did a rotation in bariatric clinic in new orleans and said it was one of the most depressing things ever

nola already has a v permissive culture for obesity, but she said every single patient in there had obvious mental issues including like childhood sexual trauma and stuff, said it was almost exactly like working with all addiction patients who also all have zero coping skills, enabling families, etc

one of our family friends switched outta it to trauma surgery because they couldn't take having 100% patients who hated their bodies that much every single day. same thing apparently happens with cosmetic surgeons too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El_Elegante posted:

should in the calorie sense, or should in the quarter pounder gets transmogrified into a 1 lb burger sense

Mostly the former, but the latter does happen from time to time.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

people do drugs in their recovery room, people gently caress in post-surgical, plenty of people are constantly non-compliant with post-surgical care

and these are adult human beings

the only people that get a pass are the ones that are just so drugged up they're tripping out of their minds

in labor and delivery suites people will gently caress to induce labor

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schadenboner posted:

Maybe you could try working at a place on the second floor? Might be harder for them to get to?

Maybe. But if I had a dollar for how many people who were morbidly obese and out of breath by the time they sat down, simply from walking from their car, I'd also have a lot of dollars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

iospace posted:

Maybe. But if I had a dollar for how many people who were morbidly obese and out of breath by the time they sat down, simply from walking from their car, I'd also have a lot of dollars.

i get so mad when people block a parking aisle at king soopers while somebody loads groceries in just so they can GET THAT SPOT

its thirty seconds of walking

also, the farther you park from the store the closer you are to the liquor store. i split the diff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i get so mad when people block a parking aisle at king soopers while somebody loads groceries in just so they can GET THAT SPOT

also, the farther you park from the store the closer you are to the liquor store. i split the diff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3JnxkZxJg

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hoverwife did a rotation in bariatric clinic in new orleans and said it was one of the most depressing things ever

nola already has a v permissive culture for obesity, but she said every single patient in there had obvious mental issues including like childhood sexual trauma and stuff, said it was almost exactly like working with all addiction patients who also all have zero coping skills, enabling families, etc

one of our family friends switched outta it to trauma surgery because they couldn't take having 100% patients who hated their bodies that much every single day. same thing apparently happens with cosmetic surgeons too

Moistwife has said something very similar about anorexic patients because they're only coping mechanism is adjusting their bodyweight and they feel like if they're doing that then everyone around them should take care of everything else. She'd much rather work with heavily abused children or murders or arsonists than eating disorder folk.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jonny 290 posted:

See, here's the fun thing: usually if I'm getting something too big for my bike (usually from Costco), I tend to park well away from the door. I'm "first spot available", and if that means I have to walk 100 feet more, whatever.

If I'm on my bike chances are I'm locked up right next to the door :v:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i want to hear more about people loving post surgery. wouldn’t all the probes and sensors and IVs get in the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

uncurable mlady posted:

i want to hear more about people loving post surgery. wouldn’t all the probes and sensors and IVs get in the way?
some people like a challenge