Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'll watch Ralph 2 eventually but my biggest fear is that it's full of "get this reference?" and nothing more. Yes, Ralph 1 had a lot of that with video games but it also had some heart to go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, I’m a huge Wreck-It Ralph fan, but RBtI did nothing for me. Suffers the same issue as most Disney sequels where there isn’t a reason for the movie to exist, no story or idea that someone was dying to tell, just more time with some of the characters we like and reheated ideas that were cut from the first film. I still tear up at the climax of Wreck-It Ralph, but there was no emotional underpinning of this at all. The Disney Princesses steal the show, but they don’t really have anything tying their bit to this story in particular. I’m shocked (third act spoilers) sentient flesh mass Ralph made it into this film, one of the most terrifying, eldritch things I’ve seen on screen in recent memory, let alone in a kids animated movie. The two stingers were the biggest laughs of the movie for me, especially the first, if only because I had turned to my wife not thirty seconds before and lamented that the Bunny Pancake scene from the trailers wasn’t in the actual movie, only to have that little girl and the directors so expertly mock me as the manchild I am. Even more disappointing than Incredibles 2.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I wonder if there was a script kicking around at Disney of “Inside Out, but it’s the internet” and they didn’t feel it was solid enough to hold its own so they slapped on WIR for brand recognition.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dang, not a lot has come out that I've had any interest in so was just kind of considering it to kill time. Sounds like it'll be a bad idea then.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

dirksteadfast posted:

I wonder if there was a script kicking around at Disney of “Inside Out, but it’s the internet” and they didn’t feel it was solid enough to hold its own so they slapped on WIR for brand recognition.

That's more or less what already happened with Emoji Movie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Disney just dropped a Lion King teaser during the football game it looks pretty much like you'd expect: like The Lion King, but with the CG animals from The Jungle Book.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A trailer for The CGIon King just aired during the football game and literally every single shot in it was the same as its traditionally animated counterpart.

[Edit: Found it online:
https://twitter.com/disneylionking/status/1065734854778572800?s=19]

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A CGI shot for shot remake of traditionally animated movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ah good they have reduced the appeal and replaced it with muscle simulations and intricate fur.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's a step-up from a rewatch, but I just rewatched it this year, so I'll probably watch it in 2028

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the animals sure look CGI - and they should sell us on what makes this worth seeing instead of just pulling out the DVD/BD you already have.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just completely artistically bancrupt.

Edit: vvv Yeah I noticed that too. Bleugh

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 23, 2018

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
I appreciate that the last line of the trailer is just "Remember", to drive the point home that this is only a tool to trigger your nostalgia.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The optimist in me says that Favreau realized there was no way he could improve on the beginning so he shot-for-shot remade it, and the rest of the film won't be so slavish. After all, we know they cut some stuff (Be Prepared) so there has to be some changes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But how will Scar be gay-coded lion???!?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks good

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I doubt the whole movie is a shot-for-shot recreation like Circle of Life appears to be, but if it was, it’d at least be way better than the Beauty and the Beast remake

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just want to how what TImone and Pumba are like. I really didn't like them in the original.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I just want to how what TImone and Pumba are like. I really didn't like them in the original.

Spoilers: Exactly the same, but gross looking.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

What didn't you like about them?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The hula is being cut for sure.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The hula is being cut for sure.

…frick, like none of my favorite bits from the original are gonna make it in, are they? No "Be Prepared", most of the great Timon & Puumba moments are gonna get cut because they're too goofy, poo poo they're probably even gonna nix Zaazu singing "It's A Small World After All" after Scar demands he stop singing Nobody Knows.

Ugh. I was actually planning on seeing CGIon King in theatres but the more I think about it the more I realize I'm just better off watching the original again.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 23, 2018

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I hadn't heard they're cutting Be Prepared. That's pretty dumb. I wonder if they'll re-re-re-add Morning Report. Fourth time, surely it'll stick now!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

asecondduck posted:

The optimist in me says that Favreau realized there was no way he could improve on the beginning so he shot-for-shot remade it, and the rest of the film won't be so slavish. After all, we know they cut some stuff (Be Prepared) so there has to be some changes.

Wait, they cut the best song of the movie? Welp.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

gmq posted:

Wait, they cut the best song of the movie? Welp.

yep since apparently Scar's going to be a very different character and Be Prepared no longer fits - least that's the official word.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

asecondduck posted:

What didn't you like about them?

I dunno, their sequence felt out of place with the rest of the film.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
at least it's not the gargoyles

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Christ, even James Earl Jones' delivery of Mufasa's lines is exactly the same as in the original except with a word or two dropped.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did the original Lion King have a bit about Pumbaa not liking being called "pig"? Because when I rewatched it, him suddenly freaking out that the hyenas don't call him "Mr Pig" at the end felt a bit out of nowhere; of course, it's not something I'd have thought about at all when I was little, so it's no big deal.

The way I look at it is that Lion King is basically Hamlet in the first place, but is this going to Mel Gibson's Hamlet, or is it going to be Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet? :v:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Uh, the name is Mr. Pig.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Because when I rewatched it, him suddenly freaking out that the hyenas don't call him "Mr Pig" at the end felt a bit out of nowhere; of course, it's not something I'd have thought about at all when I was little, so it's no big deal.

It’s a reference to the 1970 Sidney Poitier film They Call Me Mister Tibbs!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The way I look at it is that Lion King is basically Hamlet in the first place, but is this going to Mel Gibson's Hamlet, or is it going to be Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet? :v:

It's going to be Arnold Schwarzenegger's Hamlet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

It’s a reference to the 1970 Sidney Poitier film They Call Me Mister Tibbs!

In the pantheon of disappointing sequels to great movies, it's head and shoulders above the rest because it's got a scene where Tibbs finds his son smoking cigarettes and tells him, "If you're going to smoke, do it right," and shares a spliff with him.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

yep since apparently Scar's going to be a very different character

This is for sure going to be some dumb poo poo where they force a theme that wasn't in the original text and which doesn't fit naturally with the story.

I dunno, their sequence felt out of place with the rest of the film.

Well, The Lion King is kind of based on Hamlet. They are very much Shakespearean comic relief characters, but actually with a little more integration into the plot than just being like a random watchman or guard or something.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ccs posted:

Ah good they have reduced the appeal and replaced it with muscle simulations and intricate fur.

I can appreciate high quality muscle and fur but only on

Das Boo posted:

gay-coded lions???!?

So if Be Prepared is cut and Scar changed then this is a hard pass even on free streaming.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

They should have made a souped up version of the broadway show asthetic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moon Atari posted:

This is for sure going to be some dumb poo poo where they force a theme that wasn't in the original text and which doesn't fit naturally with the story.

Well, The Lion King is kind of based on Hamlet. They are very much Shakespearean comic relief characters, but actually with a little more integration into the plot than just being like a random watchman or guard or something.

Funny thing is there's even an equivalent to Rosencrantz And Gildenstern Are Dead, in The Lion King 1 1/2.

Incidentally, I've always pictured R&GAD as a silly musical with the titular characters introducing themselves and that they are dead, and I'm probably never going to seek to remedy that misconception.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm surprised there isn't a series of R&G stories where they travel the Shakespeare Universe taking part in stories and stuff. Or is there?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They made a movie. It's called Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

I mean I get that, but I dunno, like I said, I never really liked them. Maybe it was the over saturation, maybe it was the sequels that did it, but I feel like I never really liked those characters.