Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, no one has cared since 2004. I'm glad I had it a couple of years back for cd source when I sold off my other amps and speakers, just using the PS and telling people to bring their own CDs. I didn't have a working cdrom otherwise and only bought the denon after I sold the last amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

But I thought the point of audiophile woo was playing your mint first pressing record you bought for $$$ off ebay over your snake oil system. Because nothing says audiophile woo more than hundreds of thousands of dollars of high signal quality equipment plus even more in mystical rocks being used to play low-fidelity music sources. For the "warmth".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's a show on shudder called Deadwax about a killer record and there's a handful of scenes featuring dumbass audiophile equipment, I was laughing the whole time.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Audiophiles don't actually ever get around to anything as passe as listening to music. What music could ever be good enough?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Weatherman posted:

Including the need to juggle HIMEM.SYS and interrupts before anything worked correctly.

And not having a mouse because the game needs sound card and joystick and the new mouse drivers are too large, and the game is badly optimized and needs more than 600 kb of memory to boot up.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Imagined posted:

Audiophiles don't actually ever get around to anything as passe as listening to music. What music could ever be good enough?

They're perpetually waiting for the recording and mixing tech catch up to their audiophile tech.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I think I was reading this thread when I got the wild thought, what if DATs had become A THING for home consumers, would we have seen in dash decks? Then looked around and found that Alpine actually made one years and years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjEnKPF-p0

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Man, the only place I really saw DATs was in a video game that came out in 1988, but was set in 1997 (Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders). DATs didn't have a huge role in the game, but the implication was definitely that this was the logical evolution of the cassette tape (to be played in an in-dash deck). They had just been introduced in '87.

One thing the game's futurism got right, though, was debit cards--there was no cash money anywhere to be found. It seemed kind of silly at the time as a player to have to use this "cashcard" doohickey everywhere--even sliding it through the reader on the bus as you boarded. Madness! Oh, and the tight security when traveling internationally (as represented by the anti-piracy measure of having to refer to a feelie to input a specific code to continue). The jury is still out on the whole "low-frequency hum causing widespread public stupidity" thing, though it's getting more and more believable by the day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm fine with classing social media as a low frequency hum.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Do audiophiles only listen to each thing once because it's ruined afterwards?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagined posted:

Yeah, music just gets in the way of achieving perfect audio quality.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

We must use the audiophiles' equipment to play high frequency sound, to gently caress with dogs and counteract the stupidity hum. Here's a link to my kickstarter.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Where's the Turbo button?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Where's the Turbo button?

It's probably a slow piece of poo poo anyway: don't need a turbo button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2q02Bxtqds

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EvilGenius posted:

They're perpetually waiting for the recording and mixing tech catch up to their audiophile tech.

A few of them will probably settle for reel-to-reel tape - though the somewhat arbitrary catalog supports the idea that it's more about the gear than the music.

(The tape format itself is probably great, apart from the inconvenience.)

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Nov 20, 2018

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
15ips reel-to-reel likely sounds as good as home analog playback gets. But $450 for a copy of Heart Like a Wheel that most consumer r2r decks can’t even play natively means the only people who’ll ever hear it are dentists who live too far from open water to spend their money on a big dumb boat.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

:colbert:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

...MTV Music Generator...

...I somehow made my first two (and part of my third) albums...

But all you could do with this was arrange premade samples that were fragments of a track to begin with! How did you squeeze out an entire album out of that, let alone two? :psyduck:

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Nov 20, 2018

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

But all you could do with this was arrange premade samples that were fragments of a track to begin with! How did you squeeze out an entire album out of that, let alone two? :psyduck:

Someone needs to check out Endtroducing...

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Laserjet 4P posted:

A rapper friend of mine back then used the MTV generator to make his own beats. The guy was really talented and made some pretty great songs with it.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Honestly loving around in Music 2000 (I guess that's the european release of mtv music generator) was probably the catalyst that led me to become an audio engineer

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

Someone needs to check out Endtroducing...

I’d quess he was doing a bit more than slapping together poo poo that’s allready synced and tuned.
I don’t know why but those kind of programs/games still make me mad as hell.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Laserjet 4P posted:

Ah hell nah. You could write your own loops, piano-roll/Fruity Loops style, and you could also sample your own sounds. It let you take out the PS disc and put your own in, and sample stuff. Even if you were using their premade beats or whatnot, you could add effects that would totally alter the sound.

If anyone wants a listen, it's the albums Doxology and Fig. 3, here:

http://khate.bandcamp.com

Later albums, I used the PC version, which was far more robust and 753 times faster, plus Cool Edit Pro. I like taking old clunky poo poo and pushing the envelope as far as will go, it inspires me. :shrug:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

W424 posted:

I’d quess he was doing a bit more than slapping together poo poo that’s allready synced and tuned.
I don’t know why but those kind of programs/games still make me mad as hell.

No experience in the software in question, but a lot of these came with basic drum machines, synths, and a multi channel mixer. You could chop the samples right down. There was usually a level of sophistication to these games that went deeper than most people chose to go. Did the PlayStation have a mic or line input? Cos that would have meant you could put just about anything into it.

My first bit of music software was Magix Music Maker 5(?). It was an extension of those Dance eJay packages, but marketed somewhere between toy and pro user. Iwas already making music on a Yamaha PSR keyboard, but was getting frustrated that I couldn't use samples and that I had to arrange using a number pad and a 3 digit LCD, so the idea was to arrange in Music Maker instead. I had no way of trimming my recordings, so I had to make sure I hit play on the keyboard at the most exact fraction of a second after hitting record on the PC. Once everything was in and arranged, you couldn't just hit play and listen to it back - it took about 5 minutes to do 'something' before it would play it back. My assumption is that I had more audio than would fit in my PC's RAM so it fell back on the hard disk. It was incredibly tedious, but I got some good results.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Nov 22, 2018

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Geoj posted:

Give it time. Eventually insufferable hipsters will decide compact cassettes have "warm" sound or some such bullshit and the medium will see a resurgence.
Cassette tapes are being pushed as an ironic gift item this season. You can find them in places like Target shelved next to super cheap walkmen (because nobody under 30 already owns a tape deck to play it on and most of the people older than that wouldn't be able to find theirs in their garage). I know when I was shopping I saw some modern but retro stuff like the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack along with a few cheesy old releases like the first Britney Spears album (which came out well into the CD era anyway).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The first Britney album was around 99, which was firmly during the transition.

It was near the end, sure, but tapes were still readily available for new releases before the turn of the millennium, and even a little after.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I remember albums in the early nineties being released on both CD, LP and MC.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

mehall posted:

The first Britney album was around 99, which was firmly during the transition.

It was near the end, sure, but tapes were still readily available for new releases before the turn of the millennium, and even a little after.

I think cars prolonged the existence of tapes quite a bit. I had a '99 reg that came with a cassette player and a friend an '02.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It took me years to understand what "albums" were because I got all my music knowledge from early 2000's era piracy. I just thought they were, like, weird playlists people made.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mehall posted:

Ages ago, I was in The Warehouse shopping for the new Poe album with a buddy when we found the corner of half a wall relegated for cassettes.

"Who the gently caress needs Sugar Ray's 14:59 on Cassette?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Somebody who needs to blast that out of their cassette deck in their car.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Ages ago, I was in The Warehouse shopping for the new Poe album with a buddy when we found the corner of half a wall relegated for cassettes.

"Who the gently caress needs Sugar Ray's 14:59 on Cassette?"

drat I haven't thought about Poe in a long time.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

T-man posted:

It took me years to understand what "albums" were because I got all my music knowledge from early 2000's era piracy. I just thought they were, like, weird playlists people made.

When I started reading your post I thought you were going to bring up how the term originally referred to buying literal albums of records (as in binders containing multiple records) back when 78s (which only held 3-5 minutes per side) were the norm. I didn't even think anyone could be unfamiliar with the modern meaning of the word. :corsair:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

When I started reading your post I thought you were going to bring up how the term originally referred to buying literal albums of records (as in binders containing multiple records) back when 78s (which only held 3-5 minutes per side) were the norm. I didn't even think anyone could be unfamiliar with the modern meaning of the word. :corsair:

I feel so very old.

It’ll be interesting to see how well an obsolete format sells just because it’s ironic. Vinyl has some features that make it preferable to digital or CD’s, but there’s nothing better about cassette tape.

I guess you can more easily record off that other obsolete technology -radio.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ah hell nah. You could write your own loops, piano-roll/Fruity Loops style, and you could also sample your own sounds. It let you take out the PS disc and put your own in, and sample stuff. Even if you were using their premade beats or whatnot, you could add effects that would totally alter the sound.

I’m legit surprised. I did my first mashups with Fasttracker II, jumping to Windows to timestretch and edit waveforms to size, then back to DOS to sequence the sounds with FTII. I acquired Sony ACID which allowed me to do all of that in Windows, and it had built-in realtime timestretching. I even used SoundForge, Burial-style, to make a remix which I should still have somewhere.

Anyway - all those Music Maker variants had a similar interface like ACID, but seemed more limited and more importantly, locked to the original content that came with it. Cool to hear that you got so much mileage out of it.

Lots of people still nostalgic for Cool Edit Pro, too, and trackers are also still in use. There are people who unironically perform with Ataris and Amigas playing back crunchy samples, too.

I’ll listen to your work as soon as I’m on a real computer again :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

, but there’s nothing better about cassette tape.

Real reel to reel tape and multitrack stuff that costs a fortune per meter makes things sound better, but there is a whole class of devices that are loved for making stuff sound worse. Overdriven cassette that is scrunched up properly can add some really cool chaos to clean sounds. Plus, of course, variable speed playback of your own material.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

T-man posted:

I adopted Spotify as my music getter of choice when i realised I was buying CDs and immediately ripping them as MP3. I have a whole selection of CDs that have never seen an audio CD player.

After a while you do find yourself wondering if albums really exist anymore, as the concept is entirely abstract in the context of the interwebs. In a lot of these apps you can ignore the album grouping entirely and just go for artist, which I suspect is how 'the youth' listen to music.

I do miss physical albums, but Spotify was a complete game changer for me because I want to be able to listen all of the music whenever I want without having to spend a fortune.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/1065530983699476480

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Because IoT is a horrible beast is why. Expect your washer to be on a Russian botnet by the end of the month.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

Because IoT is a horrible beast is why. Expect your washer to be on a Russian botnet by the end of the month.

Troy Hunt's washing machine probably won't be part of the botnet. It's the other billion people with "smart" appliances we need to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Lover to have a citrix vp suck Elon's dick in my mentions