Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Spermanent Record posted:

Does anyone have a link to that interview with the Syrian refugee who said something along the lines of 'People think it can't happen in their country'?

I'd like to read the full article.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2012/12/11/the-land-of-topless-minarets-and-headless-little-girls/

quote:

People who are not Syrian ask me the most painful question, “Why do your people kill each other?” I usually give long-winded explanations, gesturing with my hands but without eye contact, offering historical and logical precedents of tyranny and oppression and revolution and freedom. But I don’t tell them what I should, not out of kindness, but out of pity and because it scares me to admit how hardened I’ve become over the last 20 months: Don’t you dare, even for one second, believe that your people and your cities are immune to what happened to my country, my friend. None of you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The trick is redefining "your". We're well on our way.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hot Karl Marx posted:

im really really really sorry for all the trump tweets lately but holy gently caress hahahaha

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065400254151954432

This is a repeat but "They say the ship is sinking, but our end just lifted 200 feet into the air! Wrong again science!"

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
Gavin Mcinnes resigned from the Proud Boys.

Dude really thought he could just be Tyler Durden for funsies and noped out when it turns out that starting a violent gang means you are part of a violent gang.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i'm the founder not a leader - gavin mcinnes

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Orgasm Sanction posted:

Gavin Mcinnes resigned from the Proud Boys.

Dude really thought he could just be Tyler Durden for funsies and noped out when it turns out that starting a violent gang means you are part of a violent gang.
Your honor I think you will find that declaring that I quit means I can't be held accountable for my actions *Inserts butt plug

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

She was forged in the fires of Helldump. There's no other explanation.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
v2 b1tch

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Forgot to share this good joke with ya'll earlier today

https://twitter.com/bIoach/status/1065286852062703621

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

Sad.

You don’t need to tell the little lady anything because yer a man not some beta scrub.

Oooh, oh are we playing youtube comments or not

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

im really really really sorry for all the trump tweets lately but holy gently caress hahahaha

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065400254151954432

I hate this piece of poo poo

e:

LingcodKilla posted:

Gas prices are still above $3 what is he talking about?

He's insanely stupid and his true believers are as well. Gas dipped below $1.80 around here some years back (before the dark times) and the dumb rear end in a top hat yokel manning the counter at the gas station was complaining about Obama making the gas prices so drat high.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 22, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/625727665903898624

There's a tweet for everything.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:lol:

Wish I'd seen that before or right after the election.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Kinda wonder how much of the world's helium reserves are used in the Thanksgiving day parade.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Laranzu posted:

Kinda wonder how much of the world's helium reserves are used in the Thanksgiving day parade.

Due to cost constraints, helium has been replaced with low cost, green-energy Hydrogen.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Isn't hydrogen really really hard to store cause it just wants to gently caress off off the planet?

Edit: I know it's a joke

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't hydrogen really really hard to store cause it just wants to gently caress off off the planet?

Edit: I know it's a joke

Yes, and is so small, it basically loves to find any and all microscopic atomic sized holes and leak out of it's vessel.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, and is so small, it basically loves to find any and all microscopic atomic sized holes and leak out of it's vessel.

Should just use Carbon Monoxide instead IMO.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Ran across this article from last year along with this funny tweet: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/finland/2017-10-09/finnish-model

https://twitter.com/IikkaKorhonen/status/902488375705391104

95% is pretty high approval for anyone's armed forces.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Aren't Finns in general kind of...I don't know how to say it, militaristic but in a good way?

edit: maybe martial is a better word?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 22, 2018

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

my kinda ape posted:

Aren't Finns in general kind of...I don't know how to say it, militaristic but in a good way?

In a way it could be said, perhaps. The FDF is held in relatively high regard, of course we don't really have a Vietnam-war like experience in the past. WW2 was the last war that Finnish troops fought in in any real numbers and since it's national service based it is a common shared experience for men, regardless of your place of birth or economical background. Also, if you want to enroll in the officer academy you have to complete national service first and spend 3 months or so on basic training doing pushups and making GBS threads in the woods with everyone else (the people who get reserve nco or officer training are chosen after 3 months). No private military academies here.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/mickbk/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Einstein whatever

Enrico loving Fermi was way cooler.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nuclear power is just fancy steam powered anyway!

Bah!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Ataxerxes posted:

Also, if you want to enroll in the officer academy you have to complete national service first and spend 3 months or so on basic training doing pushups and making GBS threads in the woods with everyone else (the people who get reserve nco or officer training are chosen after 3 months). No private military academies here.

I think there's some semi-recent research that points towards the rather awkward aspect of how rank-and-file officers in the FDF are kind of poo poo at their jobs, and this whole "you gotta nail your conscription period to even be considered later" deal is deffo a part of why FDF officers suck at their jobs.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
lol he is talking about the catapults again?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m curious to see what’s gonna happen to that officer now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m curious to see what’s gonna happen to that officer now.

Honestly, that was a pretty good answer. He didn't snicker or pause or whatever, and gave the Navy party line answer. "Yes, it's hard, but we're good at doing hard tech stuff, and steam catapults come at a significant cost despite our familiarity with them."

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
otoh having some officer corps loyalty purges would be maximum Trump

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Honestly, that was a pretty good answer. He didn't snicker or pause or whatever, and gave the Navy party line answer. "Yes, it's hard, but we're good at doing hard tech stuff, and steam catapults come at a significant cost despite our familiarity with them."

One thing I really enjoy, that I learned in the military, was how to tell someone to subtly gently caress themselves when the consequences of doing so are severe.

Kinda like this officer. He did good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjUpEbCgp9A

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Kemper Boyd posted:

I think there's some semi-recent research that points towards the rather awkward aspect of how rank-and-file officers in the FDF are kind of poo poo at their jobs, and this whole "you gotta nail your conscription period to even be considered later" deal is deffo a part of why FDF officers suck at their jobs.

Now that is certainly something I haven't come across, but it's been a long time since I was in. Getting to AUK or RUK (nco and officer training) varied a lot between places, in some garrisons it was really hard and it others they had to ask for volunteers. For the international audience the system was so that a certain group would get nco training and the best of each nco group would go on to be reserve officers. To get into the military academy having been in the nco training was enough.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Richard Bong posted:

One thing I really enjoy, that I learned in the military, was how to tell someone to subtly gently caress themselves when the consequences of doing so are severe.

Kinda like this officer. He did good.

I learned a bit of that too, but found it's more therapeutic to just be blunt.

Like when I was offered a job for a company I worked for prior, I could've easily said no thank you, call the next guy on the books. But no, I had to say I'd rather run backwards naked through a corn field than work for them goddamn clowns again. And a week or two later I left that union anyhow. It just felt better to express it off hip, considering how loving sloppy that union was at the time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Unfortunately I'm so cynical most of the time that even trying to be genuine and on my best behavior comes off as being a smartass. So I don't bother anymore.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What the gently caress is it with him and those steam catapults? It's one very specific thing he's brought up multiple times (that he still doesn't understand the first, most basic thing about).

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

What the gently caress is it with him and those steam catapults? It's one very specific thing he's brought up multiple times (that he still doesn't understand the first, most basic thing about).

get this, it's because he think's he's smart when he brings it up

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Are they serving a cooked mini Gritty? That's hosed up or a metaphor or something

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1065583433978531841?s=09

Ok who took the last piece of pie and made Daddy Trump mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I bet someone else at the table also got two scoops.