Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think you already know her gang. I mean, we've been following their shenanigans all along. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
that was an awful sudden duststorm just now

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the balance between comedy and feels is amazing in this show

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did anyone else notice the dance animation this episode was not 3DCG? It looked great.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
holy poo poo

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I'm not crying! YOU'RE crying damnit!

Also, that is one helluva episode title next week.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
it's not an episode title, it's an epic saga

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Can the mods please clean this thread? All this dust is really effecting my eyes. I absolutely love this show and am glad it exists. I imagine the next episode is also going to be self contained, so that leaves the last three to deal with Sakura’s memories I’m guessing

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We still have Yugiri and Tae. I'm thinking Yugiri is next after Saki, then a saga propaganda episode, a Sakura episode and then finally Tae.

Although the show has done incredibly well and having Tae snap out of her feral state would hinder the probability of a second season. I want the show to branch out to not just Saga, but the rest of japan. Show me cool tourist locations through japan with zombie girls Mappa

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We still have Yugiri and Tae. I'm thinking Yugiri is next after Saki, then a saga propaganda episode, a Sakura episode and then finally Tae.

Although the show has done incredibly well and having Tae snap out of her feral state would hinder the probability of a second season. I want the show to branch out to not just Saga, but the rest of japan. Show me cool tourist locations through japan with zombie girls Mappa

I feel like there's good odds Yugiri doesn't get an episode - maybe just a few short scenes. We know her general deal, and she's too well-adjusted to have many lingering issues to be addressed.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I could watch a whole episode of Yuugiri just fiddling around with modern tools and concepts, but the way things are going, there doesn’t seem to be much place for that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And a new producer guy, too! Since Kotaro is visually based on (and voiced by) Mamoru Miyano, maybe the next producer should look like / be voiced by... I dunno, Kissho Taniyama or Showtaro Morikubo?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only real friction we got was at the start of the series and with Ai/Junko. Lily didn't seem to have any issues unless you were looking very hard (the hot springs episode has her freeze up when Kotaro mentions they were going there)

And yeah I'd love to see an episode devoted to Yugiri either getting to know how the more modern japan flourishes or how her old japan is dying. Oiran are a dying breed

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I don't want a Tae focused episode. Just have her be wacky. I think explaining her background will take away part of what makes her charming.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Another great episode. I'm really liking the characters in this even when its not a comedy-heavy episode.

Guess this confirms the theory about the characters deaths matching their current traits. Lily's heart goes crazy all the time because she died from a heart attack. The only one now where we don't know how they died is Tae (Yugiri pretty obviously got decapitated) and from all the bandages she must have gotten pretty hosed up from what it was. Probably why she hasn't woken up yet, whatever it was. Though shes definitely getting more aware every ep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

And a new producer guy, too! Since Kotaro is visually based on (and voiced by) Mamoru Miyano, maybe the next producer should look like / be voiced by... I dunno, Kissho Taniyama or Showtaro Morikubo?

Norio Wakamoto, who seems to be taking roles again occasionally.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wait unless I'm misunderstanding things Lily was trans right?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

She's trans, yeah.

Nice that it wasn't treated like she's a 'trap' or anything. Props to the show for being respectful.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm glad for Lily

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Yeah, it was surprisingly unambiguous and positive to a degree that I'm not used to seeing in anime depictions of trans people. I'm really amazed.

But that of course hasn't stopped people from declaring "trap" all over the place... why are people like this?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cause people are poo poo

But yeah I was just surprised how nonchalant the whole thing was

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
I appreciate that Saki didn’t really care what Lily was, she was just excited that she found a new way of messing with Lily besides just calling her shrimpy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/1065711550365908993?s=19

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

esselfortium posted:

Yeah, it was surprisingly unambiguous and positive to a degree that I'm not used to seeing in anime depictions of trans people. I'm really amazed.

But that of course hasn't stopped people from declaring "trap" all over the place... why are people like this?

Yeah I think it's partially just people continuing to use a term from the past and not realizing what connotations it has. I know I personally had to realize that at some point. Also some of them are just garbage and use it out of spite, so gently caress them.

I'm glad the show was able to deal with these themes in a poignant and respectful way, I definitely got a little bit of dust in my eyes during it. It's cool that the dance sequence got the 2D treatment too, I feel like they're saving that for times when it really matters.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm gonna admit 100% that I shed tears during this episode, even if the plot was hilariously dumb.

...Also that the cental plot point completely flew past me, probably to a degree because I have internalized that anime couldn't in million years handle the thing as this show did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's plenty of other anime that handle this material well. Wandering Son is an entire show about it and while I don't think it's an amazing show, the material's handled with nothing but respect. There's plenty of other anime with decently executed trans characters too. And if you want to extend it into manga there's hundreds. Internalizing stuff like that is mostly just a combination of reductive 'critique' from people who have only ever seen three shonen anime, and well-poisoning by bigots.

Not that this episode wasn't both cool and fairly well done, but the narrative that it is the one good thing ever is already one I'm seeing around and it's frustrating. It's much more meaningful as part of a larger conversation of trans acceptance in Japan, not just one random thing in the void.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat Kotaro is a true ally despite the bullying.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/sattou0/status/1065629856879149056

Inevitable

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Now I have to resume convincing everyone I know to watch this show.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Now I have to resume convincing everyone I know to watch this show.

Lily is great, but she will always be an eternal #6 if she doesn’t learn to overthrow Zombies #1-5

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/dog_banchou/status/1065713592073244672

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It's weird that they didn't even consider letting Lilly's dad in on the secret. Probably the right decision, but still, no-one ever brought it up.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Dzhay posted:

It's weird that they didn't even consider letting Lilly's dad in on the secret. Probably the right decision, but still, no-one ever brought it up.

I mean I’m not sure what good it would have done? Being Zombie’s is already complicated enough, trying to explain to your dad that you are now an undead living corpse that was brought to life by a madman seems like the worst thing to tell your grieving dad

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Dealing with my own gender dysphoria regularly, Lily dying from it was surprisingly relatable and funny.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I hope they avoid dead-naming her in the future. I feel confident that they won't do that, though.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

They could end the series with revitalizing Saga earning everyone a resurrection and Koutarou earning his wings and returning to heaven.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Captain Cappy posted:

They could end the series with revitalizing Saga earning everyone a resurrection and Koutarou earning his wings and returning to heaven.

Sure, all that, and Estradiol for Lily.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I hope they avoid dead-naming her in the future. I feel confident that they won't do that, though.

Everyone seemed pretty clear that Lily is Lily and that’s all that matters.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That was a hard one to get through at points.

Fuckin' been there, Lily. Fuckin' been there. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that was an amazing episode and the ending song had me crying at the end. Show now has probably comedy episode of the season locked up and is in good running for drama episode of the season with Bloom.