Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I liked the bit where the server stuff was a disaster and you could grab people's IP and dos them and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

ishikabibble posted:

have you seen

anything of FO76, like actually? Because it's a whole host of issues beyond the usual Bethesda broken game stuff.

I saw a few videos of people playing it for about 15 minutes. It seemed and it mostly looks/feels like modern Fallout game we've had before with an extra level of features. I get a strange 'last gen' vibe to it that I can't really nail down. But from what I recall they were showing off a compilation of clips where they seemed to be having fun while also acknowledging, "Yeah, there is some broken stuff in this game and it's not very good."

It does feel like a game that had it come out instead of FO4 a few years ago, the reception would be better in general because back then the push for MP Fallout was probably a lot higher and I think most of the problems would have been excused more easily.

Also, in the time since we've maybe the overall market popularity of Fallout has been eroded in the last few years in the wake of other online games and FO feels like it's grown from being just a game to a larger overall overexposed brand of merchandise that might be souring people to it, in general. I'll admit, a LOT of my continued interest in the FO franchise comes a LOT more from the FO1/2 games than the Post-FO3 stuff.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm always surprised when people day 1 buy Bethesda games. Or buy them at all, really.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm always surprised when people day 1 buy Bethesda games. Or buy them at all, really.

Didn't Bethesda have a fairly good track record of relatively short reveal times and limited non-game footage before their games were set to come out, as well as a bit more of a, "What you see is more or less what you're going to get' attitude?

As opposed to other companies that promote games at trade shows that are set to release 1-4 years later, if at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

I saw a few videos of people playing it for about 15 minutes. It seemed and it mostly looks/feels like modern Fallout game we've had before with an extra level of features.

Extra level of features nobody wanted, for which they removed or severely restricted literally all the other levels of features. Well, that's not fair, they expanded the base building aspect, which was borderline unusable even with mods, and probably still is.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

From everything I see of FO76, it looks like what I'd expect an online Fallout experience to look like and it looks okay.

I'm still thinking a lot of negativity is because there's a desire for established franchises to go online multiplayer, but at the same time a lot of damning criticism of them for NOT being as 'whole' as their non-MP versions because they're trying to juggle all the features they have to include.

Also, I think it's a bit of gradual blowback from FO3 and FO4 where they launch, everyone gave them gushing reviews, then within 6 months all of that turned into, "These games are the most broken pieces of poo poo ever that NEED mods to fix them!" This time, everyone wants to get on top of this.

I imagine it could have been worse. If they'd done FO76 as a 'prequel' to the point that it was a FO1/2 styled game exclusively for mobile, that could have done it.

I've got three friends atm playing it (one is an FO vet) who admit it's janky as hell and kinda bad but are still having a ton of fun with it. I think this opinion pretty much summarizes theirs.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't Bethesda have a fairly good track record of relatively short reveal times and limited non-game footage before their games were set to come out, as well as a bit more of a, "What you see is more or less what you're going to get' attitude?

As opposed to other companies that promote games at trade shows that are set to release 1-4 years later, if at all.

I don't know about any of the marketing, but the games being exactly as revealed (with no surprises or extra frills) is part of the problem.

Their games are only bearable with mods.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

guys what if the terribly broken cash-in game that nobody asked for, you know, the one that you can't uninstall the demo for without paying $60 for the full game....what if it's secretly good and everyone complaining about it is just wrong? i watched 15 minutes of the game on YouTube so im p much an expert here

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

People who say its worth the $60 because they had fun are bad with money

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Fried Watermelon posted:

People who say its worth the $60 because they had fun are bad with money

I agree fully with this. Not that its for us to judge people having fun but cmon. Ive bought plenty games full price and sold them on at a nominal loss. Heck just this week i sold Dragon quest 11 and call of duty for a net loss of 8 quid. Both games i just don't see myself spending time to play.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Now this is a loving hot take considering they made some of the most successful and critically acclaimed games of the past 10 years.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

zapplez posted:

Now this is a loving hot take considering they made some of the most successful and critically acclaimed games of the past 10 years.

Yeah but that is 100% because of mods. Between waiting for the mods that make the games fun and the general bugginess, waiting a couple of weeks for bethesda games to work themselves out seems like a much smarter step that buying Day 1 and inevitably getting boned ona subquest because your quest item fell through the floor.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I will buy every single bethesda game day 1 and have a much better time than some nerd who waits 6 months to get realistic trees and slightly better water lol

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

I will buy every single bethesda game day 1 and have a much better time than some nerd who waits 6 months to get realistic trees and slightly better water lol

Nah, it's bigger stuff than that. I don't really care about the graphics or "realistic water" like the uber nerds, I care about stuff like the combat being bearable (Oblivion/Skyrim), or getting rid of dumb poo poo like instant kill animations (Skyrim).

Bethesda games are saved completely by their mods. The Fallout games require this to a less degree than the TES series, but they make up for this by doing stuff like making the big radioactive zone in FO4 completely inconsequential outside of one NPC. And it's the coolest area in the game.

Buy what you want obviously, but it's super frustrating that they release what is effectively a "mostly finished" experience that depends on modders to fill in the gaps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zapplez posted:

Which speaks of the quality of critics, not Bethesda games.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but that is 100% because of mods. Between waiting for the mods that make the games fun and the general bugginess, waiting a couple of weeks for bethesda games to work themselves out seems like a much smarter step that buying Day 1 and inevitably getting boned ona subquest because your quest item fell through the floor.

No, the average dummy who plays Skyrim on console in 2018 probably barely knows mods exist. He's just easily pleased.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Average dummy here, fully enjoyed unmodded Skyrim and FO4

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

a bone to pick posted:

the new spider-man game is an absolute disappointment although the story is actually quite good

Said it earlier, but Sunset Overdrive is way better.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I just don't know how somebody can play Skyrim, wander up to a dragon to initiate combat, and get instantly murked by an insta-kill animation and think "now this is gameplay."

This is the same company that released the horse armor DLC we're talking about here.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
How about instead of installing mods you just played one of the thousand other videogames out there?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just don't know how somebody can play Skyrim, wander up to a dragon to initiate combat, and get instantly murked by an insta-kill animation and think "now this is gameplay."

This is the same company that released the horse armor DLC we're talking about here.

mad cause bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SpazmasterX posted:

This is a troll free zone, friend.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

man imagine what this thread would smell like if it were a room irl

Pope Affidavit IX
Oct 23, 2017
Auto Assault was fun

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Don't the insta kill animations only play if you were to die in one hit by an attack anyways?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

Don't the insta kill animations only play if you were to die in one hit by an attack anyways?

From what I remember it happens if the enemy has the potential to kill you in one hit, or performs an attack that could do it. Like you might be able to dodge or block the blow, but the game sees that the attack *could* kill you and wrests control away and makes you die. You do this as the player too sometimes.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

I also did these things

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Bethesda gets a pass from tons of people on their lack of QA and not fixing bugs for years in official patches despite having already been patched by fans, while From got heavily criticized for the same poo poo regarding the PC version of Dark Souls and the persistence of bugs fixed in fan patches that were still present in the remastered version. My apparently unpopular opinion is that that's hugely bullshit and Bethesda's QA should not be defended by anyone

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Bethesda gets a pass from tons of people on their lack of QA and not fixing bugs for years in official patches despite having already been patched by fans, while From got heavily criticized for the same poo poo regarding the PC version of Dark Souls and the persistence of bugs fixed in fan patches that were still present in the remastered version. My apparently unpopular opinion is that that's hugely bullshit and Bethesda's QA should not be defended by anyone

this isn't an unpopular opinion, at all

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bethesda has managed to convince people that their cheaping out on QA and other bullshit is in fact "QuIrKy".

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fallout is bad.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

This has never happened to me :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

steinrokkan posted:

Bethesda has managed to convince people that their cheaping out on QA and other bullshit is in fact "QuIrKy".

which is why FO:76 bombing so insanely bad is awesome, Bethesda is going to get shuttered and we'll never have to listen to people pretend that the 3D fall out games were good ever again.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Fallout is dead, long live wasteland.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Dennis System posted:

Steam autumn sale is on!

Who gives a poo poo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Who gives a poo poo

That's why he posted it here.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FoolyCharged posted:

That's why he posted it here.

sorry I tend to treat this thread as general video game chat but he's correct, carry on

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

CrRoMa posted:

How about instead of installing mods you just played one of the thousand other videogames out there?

Because no other games do what the Elder Scrolls games do but tell me about some

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Which should I get, metal Gear survive or Fallout 4 tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Sid Vicious posted:

Which should I get, metal Gear survive or Fallout 4 tia

Red Dead Redemption 2