Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

White people shouldn't rap says guy whose brains decorated a ceiling 5 years before Eminems first record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

K. Waste posted:

What's a good "bad" movie to watch on Turkey day?

Poultrygeist

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

He used to be famous for writing and performing a song called Cop Killer, now he's most famous for playing a cop on tv for like 15 years.

He played a cop the same year he recorded that song.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Chuggo Would

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

White people shouldn't rap says guy whose brains decorated a ceiling 5 years before Eminems first record.
Can you honestly look at Eminem's discography and say that he was wrong?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't think Kurt Cobain would have liked Eminem's first record very much, beyond the race thing.

That same interview posted:

I’m a fan of rap music, but most of it is so misogynist that I can’t even deal with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

He used to be famous for writing and performing a song called Cop Killer, now he's most famous for playing a cop on tv for like 15 years.

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1005134710266257409

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Alhazred posted:

Infinite is better than most albums though

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
New Jack City owns and is one of the best 80s NY movies, one of the best cop movies, and one of the best Wesley Snipes movies.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Coffee And Pie posted:

New Jack City owns and is one of the best 80s NY movies, one of the best cop movies, and one of the best Wesley Snipes movies.

"I wanna shoot you so bad my dick's hard."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Cobain should have listened to more Beastie Boys

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Franchescanado posted:

Cobain should have listened to more Beastie Boys

Cobain should've listened to people who warned him about Courtney Love.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
i cant wait for eminem to release a cobain diss track

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Uh yes. His worst poo poo is still miles ahead of almost everyone else.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Have you actually listened to rear end Like That (Whoa) lately?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Kurt Cobain would have liked Eminem's first record very much, beyond the race thing.

..this has been deep thoughts with kurt cobain

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’d argue it’s more the first part about white folks using an art form pioneered by black people. But then, Cobain was a rock musician. Maybe it just gets more acceptable as time goes on.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

a-wax is the best white rapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgcW8PRq5oQ

eminem makes rap for elliott rodgers types

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I Before E posted:

Way to go at the worst album. He had 4 straight fire albums, then went full pillhead for a time. But half of relapse and then recovery and mmlp2 more than made up for that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nirvana was overrated trash and eminem is more relevant than kurt ever was

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
C'mon, I'm kind of lukewarm on Nirvana but Nirvana at their most relevant was WAY more relevant than Eminem will ever be.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Time for the annual Addams Family Values Turkey Day song scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVQqQuOO9yQ

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

What equals relevance? Eminem was the biggest thing on the planet for a bit music wise, especially in terms of record sales. His music videos also came at the right time when TRL was in full swing, which pushed him into acting in movies. And 2 oscars.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

he's "so i can sit next to carson daly and fred durst" relevant

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Friends Are Evil posted:

Shoutout to the new MST3K for finally giving me the chance to experience the deep horror of Mac and Me. New season is probably more solid than the last one.

That's not hard, s11 was awful.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I Before E posted:

The song where he can’t jack off about Hillary Duff’s rear end because she’s not 18 yet?

bushisms.txt posted:

What equals relevance? Eminem was the biggest thing on the planet for a bit music wise, especially in terms of record sales. His music videos also came at the right time when TRL was in full swing, which pushed him into acting in movies. And 2 oscars.

Kurt Cobain singlehandedly upturned rock music for the whole 90s. Don’t know how how to compare the two, but Nirvana had a monster impact too.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Search Stan on Twitter

Also Eminem is eminem. He was a whole new look for hip hop which is why he gets such push back. He even talked about his Elvis like trajectory.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bushisms.txt posted:

Whatever your opinion on the music, Nirvana was a bigger deal at the time. They were close to Beatles popular at their height. They were probably the last big rock group. They knocked Michael Jackson out of the top spot on Billboard.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

At the time yeah, Eminem wasn't signed yet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Get the gently caress out of here, S11 is worth it for Cry Wilderness and the Kaiju Rap alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJylMyfu9I

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like I'm not saying Eminem isn't relevant but you are comparing him to one of the most influential names in Rock history. There was a time when literally no one was more relevant than them in music . Whether they deserved to be that influential is another topic but they pretty much determined the trends in music and style for a good part of the 90s.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ok i'll agree that when Eminem is putting in full effort and not doing anything especially :yikes: he's legit fantastic. everything up to Relapse (but not including) is a drat solid run of albums, and there's even flashes of greatness on Recovery (Not Afraid is a good song).

but holy poo poo, his worst stuff is loving Limp Bizkit tier.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

he's "so i can sit next to carson daly and fred durst" relevant

Got it. Memo to all artists. Never mention anything. Ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My overall impression of Eminem is he definitely had his ups and downs- he got big off of being controversial and shocking so every so often he had to do something stupid and edgy just to keep up appearances

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Strong disagree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

At the time yeah, Eminem wasn't signed yet.

I meant Nirvana was more relevant in their time than Eminem was in his. Eminem probably wasn't even the most influential rapper of his era.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Strong disagree.

Yeah, i loving loved season 11. I was really pleased how it turned out and the movie selection was great

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

axelblaze posted:

Like I'm not saying Eminem isn't relevant but you are comparing him to one of the most influential names in Rock history. There was a time when literally no one was more relevant than them in music . Whether they deserved to be that influential is another topic but they pretty much determined the trends in music and style for a good part of the 90s.

I just think you're underselling Eminem. Dude was absolutely a cultural monster in his own right. Dude had Congress coming at him publicly. Got to duet with Sir Elton John. Don't even need talk about his influence, because he busted open hip hop to white audiences. Vanilla ice was a joke while Eminem was repped by one of the godfather's of gangster rap. Where is Kurt's 8mile?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Obligitory WKRP in Cincinnatti: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6uegv8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The point is, it was an ignorant thing for Kurt Cobain to say, regardless of your opinion about Eminem. Rap was invented by a white woman, for crying out loud.