Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oooohhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Shameful snipe.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Blackout Wednesday went well and I'm now enjoying the tradition of eating donuts while being still so drunk/so hungover that standing makes me dizzy. I feel like today is going to be a really good day

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Door Frame posted:

Blackout Wednesday went well and I'm now enjoying the tradition of eating donuts while being still so drunk/so hungover that standing makes me dizzy. I feel like today is going to be a really good day

Sometimes those are the best days. You're in a liminal space and the future is what you make. Take your time and get accustomed to the freedom.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Well somebody stole a fuckload of firewood so there's definitely a paranoia already in place.

What about patio doors? Are there installable locks I can retrofit so the backdoor isn't useless?

the PO may have simply told a neighbor that they were free to take as much firewood as they wanted before closing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

the PO may have simply told a neighbor that they were free to take as much firewood as they wanted before closing

Possibly. But at closing he happily told us how good the wood burning stove was and that there was enough wood for 2 years. Someone came and cleaned up a bunch of fallen branches which we're thinking was a cover for taking the firewood.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Kids are gonna have me drinking before noon

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

spog posted:

If you are going down the route of reasonable paranoia, you could consider anti-shatter glass film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZy4DJHM_fs

I researched that stuff for my current place because the front entryway is completely hidden from the street and it has a 5 foot square window at ground level that enters in to my kitchen. The previous owner had literal jail bars installed that couldn't possibly have been to code because there was no way to escape through them and it made me paranoid. All the other windows are so out in the open that anyone breaking in would immediately get the cops called on them.

I figure if I stay here longer than another couple years I'll replace the windows and put that stuff on them. Long term, I really want a secure place with thick metal door frames and some custom locking thing I invent for myself that can't be casually figured out.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

angryrobots posted:

Kids are gonna have me drinking before noon

I broke into the Bird Dog ten year, but only as a tea additive to aid this upper respiratory infection. (It's great bourbon, incidentally.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aw man, I saw a yellow msp driving down 95 on our way to thanksgiving and I had a wave of sad nostalgia.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Welp. My parents make me want to drink. How about y'all's?

Non. Stop. Talking.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

QuarkMartial posted:

Non. Stop. Talking.

I'm sympathetic. My mom is non-stop about nothing and my dad and brother are the king and prince of stupid questions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

QuarkMartial posted:

Non. Stop. Talking.
Welcome to my world.

I love her dearly, but drat, my mother literally cannot go 30 seconds without saying something. This includes if we're all together watching a movie. I'll literally put the movie on pause, look at her and say "Mom, say what you need to say, and then let's watch the movie OK?" she'll get her nose out of joint, say FINE, we'll start watching the movie.

5 minutes later, starts again. :psyduck:

I cannot understand how someone has to talk about nothing all the time. No, I really don't care about hearing how your neighbors 4 doors down (that I literally don't even know) how their daughter in law is being a bitch to them.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Our mothers should have a convention. Far far away.

Do you guys' ever pull the "you don't ever tell me anything" line? Yeah mom, I can't get a word in edgewise.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My parents are super-tolerable. My in-laws are alright too, when my wife can finally convince them to stop trying to feed me. I mean, I love food, but I am also an adult and can decide when I don't want more on my plate.

Except when the MIL makes thit kho. I can't stop eating that. Goddamn is it good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I live in the land of Thanksgiving in October and for the past three Thanksgivings I've conveniently been on an island away from family.

Meanwhile, in the past three days I've gone from "I miss Vancouver" to "I want to move back" to "My boss is glad I want to move back and excitedly reserved me an office" and now to "I may be about to lock down a place". Holy poo poo life moves fast sometimes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Goober Peas posted:

I'm sympathetic. My mom is non-stop about nothing and my dad and brother are the king and prince of stupid questions.

We were watching the AKC dog show (or whatever it was after the parade). The winner was a whippet. "That's a greyhound. That looks like a greyhound. Are they sure that's not a greyhound? That's a greyhound!" All in one breath.

Yes. The head of the AKC or whatever it is doesn't even know what sort of dog that is.

mewse
May 2, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Non. Stop. Talking.

I just want to drink all the time?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My parents and family are awesome and my fiancee gets along with them great too. So...

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

I just want to drink all the time?

Update: just poured water down my own neck because I apparently don't know how to drink

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Sounds like you have a drinking problem

mewse
May 2, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Sounds like you have a drinking problem

You don't know me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mewse posted:

Update: just poured water down my own neck because I apparently don't know how to drink

Isn't that how drinking is supposed to work?

mewse
May 2, 2006

spog posted:

Isn't that how drinking is supposed to work?

Usually on the inside of the neck

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm bad at shooting video and I ramble a lot.

https://youtu.be/8BjETtliT_c

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That's a nice place.

With brilliant white emulsion and cool white LED lighting throughout, it is going to look really good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

On the list of people who should have access to a turkey fryer, you are high up for sheer terror, Dave.

Hope that was a tasty bird!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Shall we call 911 now, to save time later?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tremec isn't posting because his house is on fire.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I think I still have the walkaround video of our house when we bought it, too. It's been over five years and there's still so much we haven't gotten around to doing.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I heard back from my insurance company today. Adjuster spoke to the appraiser and it's been decided the Forte's repairable and that it'll take about three weeks.

I hate the rental accord, it's literally mediocrity in car form.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Remember my friend's Fiesta that got stolen?

It was found in some farm buildings, apparently next in line to be chopped for parts (good guess, Mr nm) amd the police got there in the nick of time.

I made my friend promise to find out how it was taken as I am very curious.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

A whole-house humidifier?

Is that because it uses a very dry heating system or what? I've never heard of such a thing.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

Holy poo poo, that's hilariously tiny!

I get that a lot :v:

slothrop fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 23, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

spog posted:

Is that because it uses a very dry heating system or what? I've never heard of such a thing.

It's something you use with a forced air furnace, just because the heating process can dry out the air so much if can effect both the house and people in it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

I wouldn't have a house that has gas heat without a humidifier. Natural gas is extremely dry, and makes the house feel a few degrees colder without the extra humidity of a humidifier. With one, the whole house feels warmer and more comfortable.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

spog posted:

Most natural gas furnaces will drop indoor humidity below 40% in regions that go below freezing in the winter. If you can keep the humidity around 40% you can typically set the thermostat back a couple of degrees, remain comfortable, and save energy. Above 50% and people tend to set the thermostat higher to dry the air out. Below 30% you risk damaging furniture, wood floors, etc. Some people (myself included) start experiencing dry eye, sore throats, and skin issues around 30%.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Mine drops it to 19% in the winter when the heat is running. Best way to boost it is to take a hot shower with the bathroom door open. Immediately up to 50%+. I find humidifiers just don't add enough water to the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I feel nasty above 30%

Though my skin is drying out like crazy from, like, not having any testosterone, so I'm probably going to have to change my habits. Woke up one morning to the tips of both middle fingers dry and threatening to bleed. I've tried to keep my living areas at or below 30% for years and this is the first year where it's mattered.

Drinking water and coconut oil lotion helps.

• Locked thread