Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Didn't that goon have some fast fingers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I was one of the goons freaking out when it happened. Not because I gave a poo poo about what was grabbed but I was worried that some @handle that no one recognised had gotten into the fleet and promoted to looting privileges. Once I knew what actually happened I thought it was hilarious though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Ludikrous posted:

We already had someone go off the deep end after a goon’s kid rinsed the fleet bank. Was pretty funny.

Something something cold storage lol

It was the one person who got angry while everyone else thought it was the best/funniest thing ever.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
On a whim I upgraded some of my antiproton cannons to MK15 on my Bajoran pew pew that is ... I guess my main? drat. I didn’t realize it was that big of a difference.

Which I feel a bit silly about since I’ve played on and off since beta. I guess the numbers just never made any sense to me and the game was easy enough without doing any crunching.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I love how an 8 year old successfully robbed us while all the pubbie spies couldn’t pull it off. That kid was a hero.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
New TFO is literally nothing but shooting at things, press F for a little bit (un-interruptable for some reason so feel free to keep shooting while doing so) followed by more shooting things. I don't know how they managed to make a dumbed down version of Mirror Invasion but this is apparently it. Currently unknown if it is 100% AFK-able or not.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

ambassadorkael posted:

Hey folks,

We've been looking into the lag and rubber banding issues in the game, and determined the cause. Unfortunately, the cause was a fix we'd put in place to fix an entirely different bug - that Captains were getting their skills invalidated by claiming Tier 6 reputations. Because the lag is a larger issue throughout the game, we've decided to remove the previous fix as of a few minutes ago. This means that until our next update, where we'll be instituting a fix that should solve both problems, you should avoid claiming a Tier 6 Reputation. We apologize for the inconvenience - the fact that these two things are even related is mind boggling, but that's coding for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/9xgd2v/on_lag_and_tier_6_reputations/

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

MREBoy posted:

New TFO is literally nothing but shooting at things, press F for a little bit (un-interruptable for some reason so feel free to keep shooting while doing so) followed by more shooting things. I don't know how they managed to make a dumbed down version of Mirror Invasion but this is apparently it. Currently unknown if it is 100% AFK-able or not.

It's 100% AFK-able. You can die at the very beginning and sit in the defeated state for the rest.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cryptic devs applying a patch:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Someone remind me to bookmark this so I have it handy the next time I point out that the STO is a perilously stacked jenga tower of coding kludges atop a different game's engine that has no business running at all but somehow does regardless.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

this is hilarious on so many levels

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-COxzRtOEU&t=3s

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

nice endeavour today: complete a foundry mission - while the foundry has been deactivated for over a month now

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://mobile.twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1063591417295982592

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This is all going terribly well.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Asimo posted:

Someone remind me to bookmark this so I have it handy the next time I point out that the STO is a perilously stacked jenga tower of coding kludges atop a different game's engine that has no business running at all but somehow does regardless.

See also the time they lagged Risa trying to implement a script to remove cover shields.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Coq au Nandos posted:

This is all going terribly? well!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

See also the time they lagged Risa trying to implement a script to remove cover shields.

Or the time they accidentally reverted a fix from years before when implementing some dumb new thing, which allowed certain nameless disreputable sorts to trigger particular emotes up to their fps, bringing the instance to its knees.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Preechr posted:

Or the time they accidentally reverted a fix from years before when implementing some dumb new thing, which allowed certain nameless disreputable sorts to trigger particular emotes up to their fps, bringing the instance to its knees.

And a good thing, too. It was the only defense against certain nameless gms abusing their power to further personal vendettas.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds

Looks like someone doesn't want others in their treehouse.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

timjin posted:

That is the most goddamn amazing thing I've seen in quite some time :shrek:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

It kinda reminds me of the time the first public service channel imploded - the founders did some initial good groundwork to set up a useful community resource, which attracted interest and users from across the playerbase, not realising that after a while it grew beyond them into a shared community resource, and completely failing to understand the backlash when they try to reassert control.

There is something special about the sheer lack of social awareness on the part of these kind of players. There is literally no possibility these people are going to get what they want - Cryptic don't give a poo poo about player disputes, and most folks will just move onto a new site.

They don't even explain what the problem is, beyond incoherent whining about unspecified bugs.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Tigey posted:

There is literally no possibility these people are going to get what they want - Cryptic don't give a poo poo about player disputes, and most folks will just move onto a new site.

Already sort of happened: https://www.reddit.com/r/stoshipyards

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

timjin posted:

lol no it’s way better - the moderators closed it down in protest because Cryptic weren’t responding to bug reports. And it worked. Kael reached out.

STOBuilds Moderator posted:

Hello everyone,

As you know, there was a closure of r/stobuilds today. We could and should have made a better effort to communicate why we decided on this course of action as it is impossible to do so in the 500 characters we were allotted by reddit. It was never meant to be permanent, and it was not our intent to hold the community’s contributions hostage. It was not the whim decision of a “rogue” moderator, but a reasoned decision made and agreed to by the entire moderator team as a final attempt to get better resources for players as a whole after all prior communication attempts went silent. We understand that many members of the community are angry, and though this response was not wholly unexpected, we have nonetheless been deeply humbled by the immediate responses this action has provoked. It was never our intent to harm the community itself, and we sincerely apologize that our decision had that effect.

Now that Kael has decided to reach out, it is clear that our closing did have the desired impact, and far swifter than we anticipated. We have already resumed discussions with Cryptic - some of which we’ll describe briefly below - and are in the process of re-opening the subreddit to the public, as we never wanted to keep it closed any longer than was absolutely necessary.

We have been trying to raise awareness of and achieve a demonstrated improvement in Cryptic’s response to and management of player’s bug reports and other gameplay issues. We don’t expect immediate fixes, but as many of you know, there are long-standing issues, including some that have been unresolved for years, which looks bad for the developers and hurts players. Additionally, we have been seeking more transparency on known bugs, and pushing for a better way of reporting than the dreadful non-responsive interface interior to the game, including feedback on submitted reports. We have been long overdue for such feedback; for far too long players have spent time and effort finding and reporting bugs with no acknowledgment that such reports have been received, let alone worked on. We strongly believe that a better system for reporting bugs, acknowledging these reports, and transparency in addressing these reports would lead to a better experience for everyone, players and developers alike.

We seek only to try and better the community and player experience, and while we regret that we had to close, it seemed to be the only option left to us in order to elicit a reply, given all other attempts to address these issues privately had been answered with silent indifference. These attempts had long been behind closed doors, away from the public, precisely so we would not impede the community experience, nor interfere with stobuilds’ daily functions. Unfortunately, these methods proved futile. We wish to stress that we have not done anything to any of the information stored within; all posts and materials have remained intact, and untouched. We recognize we cannot claim any ownership of the works within, as they are the writings and contributions of the individuals and, as such, belong to the community first and foremost.

In short, we are truly sorry for the unrest and the confusion, and we apologize that we did not make our intent more transparent to the community, or to engage the community before making this decision. We failed to account for how overwhelming the player base feels about us, and could not have imagined this many people would become upset, so quickly.

We are happy to say we have reopened the subreddit. We want to thank all of you for sharing your feelings; we know you, the community, have trusted us with a great responsibility, one that not a single member of the past or present moderator team has ever taken lightly. Your responses have only re-affirmed how important it is that we ALL continue to work together to improve all of our experiences with this game.

It’s a bit overwrought and they should have posted something similar to the above at the same time they shut down the sub, but nobody’s perfect and I just love that it actually worked.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
Some random comments from this thread regarding the closing of the subreddit.
http://archive.is/gWB45

redditor posted:

'cause shooting the wider community's foot is really going to get Cryptic to sit up and take notice. Well played. 😔

another redditor posted:

Well, at least one person has just flushed down the toilet any expectation of credibility or trust from others not just in this game, but in any other game community they join going forward.
Someone with the immaturity and poor judgment to sabotage their own community by throwing a malicious, self-centered temper tantrum like this doesn't deserve to be trusted with any moderation or community management position ever again.

a redditor too posted:

What's most comical about this otherwise disgraceful display of petulant butthurt by a segment of the STO community is that they think they're the only game in town; that there aren't other sites that offer builds or that someone else couldn't come along and form another sub for builds that will put the players first rather than exploit them in favor of some grandiose statement to Cryptic.
I get it, guys: the game has a lot of bugs and imbalances. It's frustrating as all hell. But what r/STOBuilds did doesn't punish Cryptic. It's not like Cryptic's going to see that and say, "Holy poo poo, guys; look at that! Man, what fools we've been! We haven't been taking this seriously AT ALL! Everyone to their stations and let's miraculously fix every single bug in the game because clearly, we've just been incredibly lazy and not trying to do that all this time!" What r/STOBuilds did hurts the community it was created for and paints a picture of a bunch of elitists throwing a temper tantrum.
They're essentially holding the service they provided the STO community at ransom, and the only ones suffering for that is that community, not Cryptic. The fans will find another source of build information, they'll become an unfortunate footnote in STO history, and their infantile display will be for naught.

another redditor probbably, but not the previous one posted:

This is a damned temper tantrum, pure and simple, and I'm seriously disappointed that they would be willing to hurt players and try to damage the game in order to get what they want. Taking the sub hostage is a dick move, I don't care what reasoning you have.
Every mod over there who agreed with this course of action has completely lost my respect.

some random redditor posted:

As a brand new STO player (just downloaded two days ago), I've got a message for those who choose to hijack player resources to prove how mad at the devs they are: gently caress You.

last redditor posted:

What a bunch of crybabies lol.

Kael@Cryptic posted:

I'm reaching out to the STO builds moderation team. I'll see what I can do - ultimately, this is a player run resource, and if they decide they want to take it away, it's their perogative.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
perogative

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Remember, kids: your labour has value, and taking it away is a legitimate means to complain. :anarchists:

This really makes me want to see an episode written intelligently about industrial action on a spaceship.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

Remember, kids: your labour has value, and taking it away is a legitimate means to complain. :anarchists:

This really makes me want to see an episode written intelligently about industrial action on a spaceship.

I want to see the below decks Star Trek's take on why people are taking jobs where they get annihilated by the monster of the week/patently unsafe exploding consoles in a post-scarcity economy.

Maslow's hierarchy on cleaning space toilets and taking orders when you don't have to.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Coq au Nandos posted:

https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bar_Association_(episode)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

Maslow's hierarchy on cleaning space toilets and taking orders when you don't have to.

That's one of those things that drifted over time: at the start of TNG everyone was an officer and the ship cleaned itself and the operational crew of the ship was like 20 people, but the writers didn't keep it up and they introduced enlisted and punishments and waste reclamation duty and scrubbing plasma conduits and poo poo like that, I suspect more out of lack of creativity than narrative need.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

I want to see the below decks Star Trek's take on why people are taking jobs where they get annihilated by the monster of the week/patently unsafe exploding consoles in a post-scarcity economy.

when you have free access to holodecks people are willing to do anything

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

That's one of those things that drifted over time: at the start of TNG everyone was an officer and the ship cleaned itself and the operational crew of the ship was like 20 people, but the writers didn't keep it up and they introduced enlisted and punishments and waste reclamation duty and scrubbing plasma conduits and poo poo like that, I suspect more out of lack of creativity than narrative need.

It was a floating city / slum by the time they were done with it.

I mean sure the officer quarters looked nice but you can bet the ratings were packed in twenty to a room in stacked bunks dimly lit with emergency lighting 24/7 because they'd all be working in shifts while Officer Fuckwad lounges in his bath reading Klingon poetry and playing the alien saxophone.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

if someone cares, the "scottish kilt" and TNG skant uniform are available for free in the C-Store
unfortunately the kilt is fed only, would have loved to see a Gorn wearing one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
With the Black Friday sale, I was able to pick up the t6 cross-faction science bundle, and besides being the final word in admiralty science and the tactical version being a genuinely good boat, I decided to try my hand at kitbashing each.

Federation

Doesn't look bad from the top, the dorsal glowy thing is kind of odd and I'm not sure whether it's the secondary deflector (probably) or the hangar bay, but it hits a certain "Nebula and Intrepid had a drunk one night stand and this popped out nine months later" aesthetic. From the bottom, however...

Romulan

Not terrible, proportions are oddly chunky for a Romulan ship. Hard to see in the second shot, but there's a neat black hole distortion thing in the central ring, like it's the ship's singularity core. Didn't seem to change in combat.

Klingon

I actually quite like this one. The Gorn have a very distinctive aesthetic, and this is a fine flying brick.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

More fun and games from the whole STObuilds fiasco:

https://youtu.be/nhuEqW0mfRE

At just after 49 mins or so in, Odenknight (who spends most of the video trying to justify the whole business) makes a comparison between the STObuilds mods and the Civil Rights movement...

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I actually quite like this one. The Gorn have a very distinctive aesthetic, and this is a fine flying brick.

I also really enjoy the Gorn aesthetic and it's a shame we will never, ever see more of it ever again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhjamiz posted:

I also really enjoy the Gorn aesthetic and it's a shame we will never, ever see more of it ever again.

Gorn are apparently going to be in Discovery S2. Given what the discoklanks and their ships look like, though, I don't have high hopes for the Gorn.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Gorn are apparently going to be in Discovery S2. Given what the discoklanks and their ships look like, though, I don't have high hopes for the Gorn.

I think that was my biggest disappointment with Disco.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Calling it now, they’re going to be scaly titty lizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Spikes everywhere.