Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Liquid Communism posted:

You've just encountered praxeology in motion, my friend. Do not engage with people who are willing to deny the existence of their own subjective consciousness on pure conjecture assumed as fact.

Yeah, I was getting interested in the debate until I realized he is basically not a sane person. I don't know how someone can in good faith argue that they don't have a train of thought going on in their own head while they debate you. Or that a second body who thinks like you do has essentially no value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phenotype posted:

I don't know how someone can in good faith argue that they don't have a train of thought going on in their own head while they debate you.
I never said anything even close to that.

Phenotype posted:

Or that a second body who thinks like you do has essentially no value.
Or this. Where did "value" come into it?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
could you all please stop Yudding and talk about the fukcing terrible book instead i thank you

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tiggum posted:

I never said anything even close to that.

Or this. Where did "value" come into it?

Sure you didn't.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

:shrek:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Please don't make me have to read and understand this thread in order to end whatever the current slapfight is, just end it yourselves

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 104: The Truth, Pt 1, Riddles and Answers

This chapter begins with a Quidditch game in which Yudkowsky attempts humour. I'll spare you and move right along to the point where Harry gets a mysterious message from himself:

Eliezer Yudkowsky posted:

It was parchment instead of the Muggle paper that Harry would have expected, but the writing on it was his own handwriting, if done with a quill instead of a pen. The parchment said:
    Beware the constellation,
    and help the watcher of stars.

Pass unseen by the life-eaters' confederates,
    and by the wise and the well-meaning.

Six, and seven in a square,
    in the place that is prohibited and bloody stupid.
The meaning's not entirely clear to him (which you'd think would raise his suspicions but doesn't) but he gets the gist - go back in time to 6:49, avoid the aurors, help Quirrel. And he takes someone we're supposed to assume is Cedric Diggory with him for backup - but it's actually Lesath Lestrange, a fifth-year Slytherin. I have no idea what the significance of that is.

'The place that is prohibited' would ordinarily mean the Forbidden Forest; that was probably what someone intercepting the message was meant to think. But the Forbidden Forest was huge, and there was more than one distinguished location inside it. No obvious Schelling Point at which to rendezvous, or find some event that needed intervention.

But when you added the 'bloody stupid' modifier, there was only one prohibited place in Hogwarts that fit.

And so Harry set forth on that outlawed path where, if rumor spoke true, all the first-year Gryffindors had gone before. The third-floor corridor, on the right-hand side. A mysterious door leading to a series of rooms filled with dangerous and potentially lethal traps that nobody could possibly get through, especially if they were only in their first year.
They find Quirrel, who has apparently followed Snape there. It gets a bit confusing, although it might be easier to follow if I remembered the earlier parts of the story more clearly. I think it's meant to be at least a little confusing though.

Harry was frantically trying to work out who was pretending to be what. Since Professor Quirrell wasn't in on Dumbledore's conspiracy, Severus was pretending to be the evil Potions Master of Hogwarts, who'd been sent here by the Headmaster... and might or might not have actually been sent here by Dumbledore... but Professor Quirrell either thought, or was pretending to think, that someone needed to keep an eye on Professor Snape... and Harry himself had been sent here by future-Harry and had no idea why... and why were they all standing outside the Headmaster's forbidden door in the first place?

And then...

From behind where Harry stood...

Came the growing sound of another set of footsteps, rapid and manyfold.
Theodore Nott, Daphne Greengrass, Susan Bones, and Tracey Davis show up, because they think Draco is there and in trouble, and they didn't tell the aurors because of reasons they won't say. But then it turns out that Draco tricked them and was trying to get in there himself, because he thinks Dumbledore is trying to steal the philosopher's stone from Flamel by claiming that he's protecting it from Voldemort. I'm doing my best to make this less confusing but I'm not sure I'm succeeding.

Elizer Yudkkowsky posted:

"We're going to take the whole mirror and send it back to Flamel," said Theodore Nott. "It's not like we want the Stone for ourselves, we just need to stop Dumbledore from stealing it."

Professor Snape nodded, as though confirming something, and turned his head to look at the other students. "Tell me, have any of you noticed one of the others behaving in an unusual fashion? Especially if there is a peculiar object that they have in their possession, or they can use spells a first-year should not know?" Professor Snape's right hand now pointed his wand at Susan Bones. "I see that Miss Greengrass and Miss Davis are trying not to look at you, Miss Bones. If there is a mundane explanation, you would be wise to offer it immediately."

Susan Bones's hair turned bright red, though her face didn't change. "I suppose there's not much point keeping it mum any longer," she said, "since I'm graduating in two days anyway."

"Double witches get to graduate six years early?" said Tracey Davis. "That's not fair!"

"Bones is a double witch?" cried Theodore.

"No, she is Nymphadora Tonks, a Metamorphmagus," Professor Snape said. "Masquerading as another student is extremely against regulation, as you are well aware, Miss Tonks. It is not too late to expel you from Hogwarts two days before your graduation, which would be a dreadful tragedy - from your perspective, that is. From my perspective it would be hilarious. Now tell me what exactly you are doing here."

"That explains it," said Daphne Greengrass. "Um, is there actually a Susan Bones, or is the House dying out so they had you secretly -"

The red-haired form of Susan Bones had a palm to her face. "Yes, Miss Greengrass, there's a real Susan Bones. She only sends me in when you lot are about to get into ridiculous amounts of trouble. Professor Snape, the reason I'm here is because Draco Malfoy was missing, and this lot insisted on trying to find him instead of calling the Aurors. For reasons the real Miss Bones said there was no time to explain to me, which I now realize were stupid. But young students must never go alone, and must be accompanied by a sixth or seventh year at all times. And now we found Draco Malfoy and we can all go back. Please? Before this gets any more ridiculous?"
Then Professor Sprout arrives. Harry works out that all this is a distraction, that someone wanted a chaotic scene here so that the aurors would be called and take everyone out of the way for questioning. Except that Quirrell figures out that Sprout must be under some sort of mind control, which ruins everything and forces her to attack. Everyone (including Lesath, under Harry's invisiblity cloak) joins the fight, while Harry hides. Tonks wins.

"Malfoy..." said the pink-haired form of Susan, still gasping for breath. "Draco Malfoy, where are you? Are you there? Call the Aurors already! Merlin drat it - Homenum Revelio! "

And Harry found himself visible again, staring in his mirror at the form of Draco Malfoy half-visible beneath a shimmering cloak, standing behind not-Susan, pointing his wand at a gap in not-Susan's blue haze.

Harry's mind moved in flashes of insight, too slow and yet too fast; even as Harry's mouth opened and he inhaled in preparation to shout.

beware the constellation
there was a constellation named Draco
if you could control a Professor you could control a student
But Draco doesn't know Harry's there, which gives Harry the opportunity to knock him out. Quirrell then requests that Harry take him to the Mirror of Erised to get the Philosopher's Stone as it's the only thing that can save his life, but Harry's still suspicious of the whole situation. He finally realises that the note supposedly sent from himself in the future wasn't actually from him, and therefore must be from Quirrell, who must be Voldemort. I think he's also figured out that he's a horcrux, but with all that confusing poo poo about how horcruxes work I'm not even sure what that would mean. Especially since anything that Quirrell said about them is obviously suspect, but they presumably still don't work the same way in this as they do in the original.

Slowly, Harry turned around.

Professor Quirrell was standing upright and smiling.

In the Defense Professor's hand was a shape of black metal pointed at Harry's wand arm, held with the sure grip of someone who knew exactly how to use a semiautomatic handgun.

Harry's mouth was dry, even his lips were trembling with adrenaline, but he managed to speak. "Hello, Lord Voldemort."

Professor Quirrell inclined his head in acknowledgement, and said, "Hello, Tom Riddle."

I glossed over a lot of stuff there so if you want to read the whole chapter you might have a better idea of what;s going on. Or you might not. Reading it didn't do me much good. The whole thing (the chapter, the specific plan contained within it and the whole plot as revealed thus far) is overly complicated and presented in a pretty confusing manner, and I'm certainly not going back to reread past chapters to see if I can put the pieces together.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
This chapter is an anti-twist. Some folks were expecting something besides the Quirrel = Voldemort reveal, despite all the very obvious signs. Nope, the obviously evil person was evil, go figure.

The confusion is deliberate, since Quirrelmort is trying to hide his movements of going after the Philosophers Stone.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Added Space posted:

This chapter is an anti-twist. Some folks were expecting something besides the Quirrel = Voldemort reveal, despite all the very obvious signs. Nope, the obviously evil person was evil, go figure.
More to the point, most people expected something like Quirrel > Voldemort.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Added Space posted:

The confusion is deliberate, since Quirrelmort is trying to hide his movements of going after the Philosophers Stone.

I realise that some level of confusion is intended, but I feel like it was more confusing than it was supposed to be. Like, the reader was supposed to understand that it was a confusing situation for the characters, but still be able to follow what was going on. Whereas I was actually going back and rereading bits three times before giving up and going "ok, some confusing stuff happened and it doesn't matter, I don't give a poo poo."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 105: The Truth, Pt 2

So Quirrel/Voldemort has Harry at gunpoint, and makes him drop all his equipment (wand, time turner, bag of holding) and says he's set up a spell that will kill a bunch of students if he doesn't deactivate it - which he can only do once he has the philosopher's stone. There's a bit that presumably relates to the prophecy about Voldemort and Harry not being able to exist in the same world (or whatever it said) but it doesn't reiterate or explain it so it kind of went over my head:

Voldemort posted:

You have already vanquished the Dark Lord, the one and only time that you will ever do so. I have already destroyed all but a remnant of Harry Potter, eliminating the difference between our spirits and enabling us to reside in the same world.
So souls don't exist but spirits do? What's the difference? Anyway, Voldemort wants Harry to get the philosopher's stone for him. Harry points out that he has no reason to trust that Voldemort will keep his end of the bargain. Voldemort says snakes can't lie. Harry tries to lie in Parseltongue and can't.

Voldemort posted:

When Salazar Slytherin invoked the Parselmouth curse upon himself and all his children, his true plan was to ensure his descendants could trust one another's words, whatever plots they wove against outsiders. Occlumency cannot fool the Parselmouth curse as it can fool Veritaserum, and you may put that to the trial also.
We also learn that the real power of the philosopher's stone is to make transifgurations permanent, because I guess everything in this story has to come back to transfiguration since that's Harry's special super power. Voldemort claims that this will allow him to bring dead people back to life - by transfiguring a dead body into an alive one, I guess?

Anyway, Harry realises that Voldemort wouldn't be offering him all this unless he really desperately needed his help to get the stone, so he decides to try bargaining, and gets Voldemort to further agree to explain everything that's happened and not kill anyone in the school for a week. He agrees and they set off to get the stone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 106: The Truth, Pt 3

Harry and Voldemort encounter the three-headed dog, and Voldemort quizzes Harry on how he would get past it. Harry starts to come up with a possible answer but Voldemort interrupts him by just Avada Kedavra-ing it, and then criticises Harry for not immediately thinking of that. And that's about all that happens in this chapter. It's mostly just Harry psyching himself up to do... something, but he doesn't know what. That and Voldemort being impatient.

The Defense Professor walked over to the three-headed corpse and placed his wand against it. He began a Latin-sounding incantation that was accompanied by a sense of rising apprehension, the Boy-Who-Lived feeling the Dark Lord's power as he always had.

The last word spoken was "Inferius" and it was accompanied by a final surge of STOP, DON'T.

And the three-headed dog rose to a stand, its six eyes dull and blank, turning to watch the door once more.

Harry stared at the huge Inferius with a horrible sinking sensation in his stomach, the third-worst feeling he'd ever felt in his life.

He knew then that he'd seen and sensed this procedure before, only without the spoken Latin.

The centaur who'd confronted him in the Forbidden Forest was dead. The Defense Professor had hit it with a real Avada Kedavra, not a fake one.

He really likes his one-sentence paragraphs, doesn't he?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the prose is appalling

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I might be mistaken, but I think when I first read that chapter it didn't have the realization that the centaur was undead too. I imagine Big Yud must have added it in supercilious disgust when some/most of his readers failed to connect the dots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the prose is appalling
It's from a few years ago, I'm sure he's improved as a writer since then.

Earlier this week Yud posted:

I'd consider this as another known bug in HPMOR that resulted from my vastly underestimating the Transparency Illusion and the salience to other people of explanations I didn't have in mind myself. Just like it never occurred to me that my age-reverted Tom Riddle expy might be taken as an author avatar of some author who was very bad at writing original-flavor Harry Potter, and it definitely never occurred to me that it would be the least bit nontransparent that the Defense Professor was Voldemort (again). So too, it didn't occur to me that so many people would come in with a strong hypothesis that this story was going to be about "Harry Potter is already rational and so discovers amazing scientific explanations for magic!" and not "Harry Potter grows up and discovers the true meaning of rationality which he does not already know at the start of the story".

It did occur to me that some readers might expect too much scientific progress too fast, so I tried explicitly to signal they shouldn't get their hopes up, like by having Harry say to Hermione on the train that it would of course take thirty-five years to solve magic. But I didn't then realize the extent to which passing paragraphs like this one tend to be just plain overlooked, and of course it can be read in other ways too, like establishing a high challenge bar.

Being myself, as I am, it also seemed too "obvious" to me that of course the story couldn't be about finding nanomachines underneath all the magic or some fool midichlorians like that. For I know that unless you have designed a bitstring to be compressible it will almost always not be compressible; and Rowling didn't design her magic to be scientifically explicable, so it almost certainly can't be compressed by any in-story explanation as a matter of information theory. The only way you can get a magic system with a genuinely amazing secret behind it is to start from the secret and generate the magic system. In one or two cases I fiddled with the rules to allow their surface appearances to reflect a hidden secret, and boy did some people complain about those.

The existence of Potterverse magic itself cannot have a genuinely amazing explanation. It can have clever-sounding explanations that make Rowlingverse magic sound more plausible without predicting all the details, but those are not beautiful enough to support the grand arc of a science story. It is perhaps difficult to convey the extent to which that is obvious at a wordless glance if you are simultaneously fluent in fiction-writing and algorithmic complexity. So it was just not very prominent in my mind as a possible misinterpretation that people would think they were reading the story of Harry Potter and the Science of Magic.

So I'm sorry about the way I signaled the wrong expectations about the story. I was learning a lot about writing as I went. But by the time I got to the end of the story, there was only one set of closing parentheses that corresponded to all the opening parentheses I had carefully laid down, and they involved "Beneath the moonlight glints a tiny fragment of silver, a fraction of a line", even though if I'd been replanning from scratch I would have been able to construct a better final battle than that.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

quote:

it didn't occur to me that so many people would come in with a strong hypothesis that this story was going to be about "Harry Potter is already rational and so discovers amazing scientific explanations for magic!"

THIS WAS LITERALLY YOUR loving PUBLICITY HOOK YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I'm just too rational to write stories for regular people, condemned as they are to process events and descriptions without my carefully honed mind.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quote:

It is perhaps difficult to convey the extent to which that is obvious at a wordless glance if you are simultaneously fluent in fiction-writing and algorithmic complexity. 

I wish that this sentence could be engraved as his epitaph.

It sums up the man like nothing else I have ever seen, except perhaps his OkCupid profile, and that wouldn't fit.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 29, 2018

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I’m sorry my writing was too high-brow for the proles. :smug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

divabot posted:

THIS WAS LITERALLY YOUR loving PUBLICITY HOOK YOU

Yud is not a clever man.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
That's a whole shitload of words to basically just say "you can't retcon in explanations for a not-logically-planned system without either adding entirely arbitrary rulekeeping or making the entire canon history of existing characters look super dumb", even though he did both of those anyway with the partial transfiguration stuff.

Malah
May 18, 2015

He's trying way too hard to have his fanfic cake while rationally eating it, and gently caress every attempt to adapt that makes it sound even worse. There's nothing wrong with being new to this and screwing up the first attempt, but that's lot of words covering his rear end.

I've seen thunderdome losers eat poo poo more gracefully than Yud. I guess that's an improvement from his earlier responses to critique, at least?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 107: The Truth, Pt 4

Remember how Harry travelled back in time to this point? I'd forgotten but it's suddenly relevant again as he now realises that anything that happens can't possibly get the attention of anyone at the quidditch match since that already didn't happen in the future. It's in line with how time travel apparently works in Prisoner of Azakaban, but in this case Harry's tried loving around with time travel in the past and believes that it could cause terrible things to happen if he isn't careful. It's entirely possible that he's wrong about that though and has nothing to worry about.

Either way, he's got to try to come up with a plan that won't result in the alarm being raised and the quidditch being interrupted, at least until after the time he originally departed from.

Voldemort/Yudkowsky tries to come up with a plausible reason as to why the challenges on the way to the Mirror of Erised are so obviously set up to be beatable by children and settles on the idea that Dumbledore wanted to make it look like he wanted Voldemort to trick a child into attempting them for him in the hope that Voldemort would see through that and not send a child. But he qualifies that by saying that Dumbledore is crazy and unpredictable so it might be a totally different reason.

In the room with all the flying keys, rather than using the provided broomstick to catch the right key or simply summoning it to him, Voldemort summons some kind of evil death phoenix to smash through the door. It takes out the giant chess pieces as well. I feel like it's a reference to something but I don't know what, so I'm guessing anime.

The Defense Professor raised that wand, and traced in the air a flaming rune that was all jagged edges and malevolence; Harry took another instinctive step back. Then Professor Quirrell spoke. "Az-reth. Az-reth. Az-reth."

The flaming rune began pouring out fire that was... twisted, as though the jagged edges of the rune had become the nature of the fire itself. The fire was blazing crimson, shaded further red than blood, glowing as searingly intense as an arc-welder. That brilliance in that shade seemed wrong in its own right, like nothing shaded so far red should give off that much light; and the searing crimson was shot through with veins of black that seemed to suck the light from the fire. Within the blackened fire, outlined in the interplay of crimson and darkness, animal shapes twisted wildly from one predator to another, cobra to hyena to scorpion.

"Az-reth. Az-reth. Az-reth." When Professor Quirrell had repeated the word six times, as much black-crimson fire had poured out as the volume of a small bush.

The cursed fire slowed in its changes as Professor Quirrell locked eyes upon it, taking on a single form, the form of a blackened blood-burning phoenix.

And something told Harry with a terrible certainty that if that black burning phoenix met Fawkes, the true phoenix would die and never be reborn.

Then Voldemort kills the boggart in the next room, because killing things unnecessarily shows how eeeevil he is. They pause at Snape's room because Voldemort thinks Snape may be trying some kind of double, triple or quadruple bluff since the apparent solution isn't difficult, just tedious and time-consuming. They also have a brief chat about how Voldemort is able to fly, which is by having the same enchantment that makes broomsticks work cast on his own bones (because the enchanted object must be long and thin like a broom). I don't remember if wizards not being able to fly under their own power was a thing from the books, but it is here and Harry is the first person to ever figure out how he did it, obviously.

Eventually they decide to just make the potion as instructed.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tiggum posted:

I feel like it's a reference to something but I don't know what, so I'm guessing anime.

mods, new thread subtitle

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

I don't remember if wizards not being able to fly under their own power was a thing from the books, but it is here and Harry is the first person to ever figure out how he did it, obviously.
It is. In the book 7 Voldemort is more or less the first wizard to ever demonstrate the ability to fly by himself.

In the movies it's a bit muddier since apparition is sometimes treated as a kind of flying.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

They also have a brief chat about how Voldemort is able to fly, which is by having the same enchantment that makes broomsticks work cast on his own bones (because the enchanted object must be long and thin like a broom). I don't remember if wizards not being able to fly under their own power was a thing from the books, but it is here and Harry is the first person to ever figure out how he did it, obviously.
This bit annoyed me when I read it but I couldn't immediately identify the reason. But I've thought about it some more and now I know.

Turning your bones into brooms (or rather, having someone else do it since apparently wizards can't ride on a broom they've enchanted themself) is a moderately clever solution, but not nearly clever enough. It's a great example of why Yudkowsky's approach is all wrong. He's seen something he perceives as a problem with the source material - Voldemort's inexplicable ability to fly - and he's tried to fix it, but he's more interested in pointing out any perceived deficiencies in the source material than actually improving it.

See, if flying were that easy to do, it would have been done before. The idea that Voldemort is not merely the first but the only person to ever think of this solution is wildly implausible. To Yudkowsky this means that every other character is stupid. A far more reasonable answer is that such simple solutions have, in fact, been tried and don't actually work. If no one can figure out how to do something it doesn't mean everyone is dumb, it means that it's very difficult to figure out how to do it.

So if you want to answer the question of how Voldemort flies then you need to come up with a solution that is entirely logical and yet so counter-intuitive that the audience can believe that no one would ever have tried it before. This isn't that. It passes the first test, but not the second.

It also fails in another important way: it's not possible for the audience to figure it out. We were never given enough information about how brooms work to put this together. Rather than making it a puzzle for readers to figure out (or for readers to feel impressed by when they fail to figure it out) we're just given a solution and told that it's so clever no one solved it. It just makes it seem more obvious, which makes it stand out as even more of a problem because now it feels like everyone who knew how brooms worked should have known how to do this. Which they probably should have.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
There's actually a pretty neat fan theory about this. Having the flying be based on studying the properties of a body part of a nearly extinct magical creature (especially since it might require the actually extinct European subspecies) would explain why no one else managed it.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Underwear made of cut-up flying carpets. Nobody else considers doing it because the idea of getting jerked around by the nethers and armpits sounds really uncomfortable compared to a broomstick. But maybe Voldemort is a eunuch (he's already lost fleshy bits on his face) and most wizards wear magically armoured underclothes instead - that's why they can survive getting thrown into walls and nearby explosions.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I always appreciated Voldemort flying because man what a fantastic way to demonstrate how skilled the character is, without needing to shoehorn in some ridiculously lethal spell that kills a billion people or whatever. Unaided flight! Now that's really something remarkable, that neither Dumbledore or Grindewald ever did.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The Iron Rose posted:

I always appreciated Voldemort flying because man what a fantastic way to demonstrate how skilled the character is, without needing to shoehorn in some ridiculously lethal spell that kills a billion people or whatever. Unaided flight! Now that's really something remarkable, that neither Dumbledore or Grindewald ever did.

Doesn't he teach Snape how to do it and it's a big spooky moment confirming Snape is definitely 100% bad guy because otherwise Voldemort wouldn't trust him with the secret?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cavelcade posted:

Doesn't he teach Snape how to do it and it's a big spooky moment confirming Snape is definitely 100% bad guy because otherwise Voldemort wouldn't trust him with the secret?

Nope, not as far as I'm aware. Even other death eaters had to use brooms - see the whole chase scene with seven Harrys back in book 7.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The Iron Rose posted:

Nope, not as far as I'm aware. Even other death eaters had to use brooms - see the whole chase scene with seven Harrys back in book 7.

You made me research this I hope you're happy:

quote:

“Unlike Dumbledore, he was still carrying a wand...and he seems to have learned a few tricks from his master.”
With a tingle of horror, Harry saw in the distance a huge, batlike shape flying through the darkness toward the perimeter wall.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 108: The Truth, Pt 5, Answers and Riddles

They're still making the potion and it's going to take a while, so Voldemort agrees to answer some questions. Harry asks him what actually happened when he [Voldemort] originally tried to kill him [Harry]. Voldemort says that he invented a spell that grants him true immortality. You may have noticed that this doesn't actually answer Harry's question at all. Harry doesn't seem to.

Harry guesses that Voldemort's immortality spell requires some kind of physical anchor (like a horcrux but better, obviously), and Voldemort confirms it (in Parseltongue so he supposedly can't be lying). Harry's not immediately ready to discount the possibility of tracking down these super-horcruxes but Voldemort reveals that he's made well over a hundred of them -each one linked to a different murder and hidden somewhere even Voldemort couldn't find it.

Voldemort also reveals that he is now essentially a disembodied spirit merely posessing the body of Quirrell. Which should raise the question of why he went to such lengths to keep this body alive if he could, as he claims (in Parseltongue) "return swiftly, if this body is killed". Harry doesn't ask this though or even wonder about it to himself. He does go back to the question of what happened when Voldemort tried to kill him though.

"Trelawney's prophecy," Professor Quirrell said. His hand tapped a bellflower with a strip of copper before dropping it in. "I spent long days pondering it, after Snape brought the prophecy to me. Prophecies are never trivial things. And how shall I put this in a way that does not make you think stupid things... well, I shall say it, and if you are stupid I shall be annoyed. I was fascinated by the prophecy's assertion that someone would be my equal, because it might mean that person could hold up the other end of an intelligent conversation. After fifty years of being surrounded by gibbering stupidity, I no longer cared whether my reaction might be considered a literary cliche. I was not about to pass up on that opportunity without thinking about it first. And then, you see, I had a clever idea." Professor Quirrell sighed. "It occurred to me how I might fulfill the Prophecy my own way, to my own benefit. I would mark the baby as my equal by casting the old horcrux spell in such fashion as to imprint my own spirit onto the baby's blank slate; it would be a purer copy of myself, since there would be no old self to mix with the new. In some years, when I had become bored with ruling Britain and moved on to other things, I would arrange with the other Tom Riddle that he should appear to vanquish me, and he would rule over the Britain he had saved. We would play the game against each other forever, keeping our lives interesting amid a world of fools. I knew a dramatist would predict that the two of us would end by destroying each other; but I pondered long upon it, and decided that both of us would simply decline to play out the drama. That was my decision and I was confident that it would remain so; both Tom Riddles, I thought, would be too intelligent to truly go down that road. The prophecy seemed to hint that if I destroyed all but a remnant of Harry Potter, then our spirits would not be so different, and we could exist in the same world."

But his plan backfired and instead of him destroying "all but a remnant" of Harry, the opposite happened and he found himself disembodied and stuck inside his super-horcruxes. All of them at once, apparently. He'd thought he'd be able to wander at will as a spirit but it turned out that he needed someone to touch one of the super-horcruxes in order to possess them.

"My remaining hope was the horcruxes I had hidden in the hopeless idiocy of my youth. Imbuing them into ancient lockets, instead of anonymous pebbles; guarding them beneath wells of poison in the center of a lake of Inferi, instead of portkeying them into the sea. If someone found one of those, and penetrated their ridiculous protections... but that seemed like a distant hope. I was not sure I would ever be embodied again. Yet at least I was immortal. The worst of all fates had been averted, my great creation had done that much. I had little left to hope for, and little left to fear. I decided that I would not go insane, since there seemed to be no advantage in it.

Yeah, insanity is a choice, I guess. And we're not even half way through this chapter yet. Voldemort then claims that he has now overcome the limitation of needing someone to touch his super-horcrux to possess them, and says it's Harry's fault

You, boy, you brought that about, you freed my spirit to fly where it pleases and seduce the most opportune victim, by being too casual with your secrets. It is a catastrophe for any who oppose me, and you wrought it with one finger drawing wetness on a tea-saucer.

I can't remember what that's about. I'm not going to go back and try to find it, but if anyone remembers what Harry drew then please remind me.

Harry then asks about the Philosopher's Stone - if it doesn't anything beside making transfigurations permanent and why it's apparently so hard to duplicate. Voldemort then goes into the story of how Flamel got the Stone from Baba Yaga - and it's loving dumb. I'm not even going to summarise it. He does confirm that permanent transfiguration is its only power but doesn't seem to know why it's so hard to reproduce. The way he tells it it doesn't seem like anyone's ever tried, other than by attempting the fake recipe that Flamel made up.

Harry asks why Voldemort killed Hermione and the answer is complicated and dumb. Harry actually does call him out on this but Voldemort excuses that by saying he was basically doing it for funsies and didn't actually care about the outcome that much. It makes sense, I guess, but it's not exactly narratively satisfying. Then Voldemort asks Harry a question:

"What gave me away at the last, in the corridor outside these chambers?"

Harry put aside other emotions to weigh up the cost and benefit of answering honestly, came to the conclusion that the Defense Professor was giving away far more information than he was getting (why?) and that it was best not to give the appearance of reticence. "The main thing," Harry said, "was that it was too improbable that everyone had arrived in Dumbledore's corridor at the same time. I tried running with the hypothesis that everyone who arrived had to be coordinated, including you."

"But I had said that I was following Snape," the Defense Professor said. "Was that not plausible?"

"It was, but..." Harry said. "Um. The laws governing what constitutes a good explanation don't talk about plausible excuses you hear afterward. They talk about the probabilities we assign in advance. That's why science makes people do advance predictions, instead of trusting explanations people come up with afterward. And I wouldn't have predicted in advance for you to follow Snape and show up like that. Even if I'd known in advance that you could put a trace on Snape's wand, I wouldn't have expected you to do it and follow him just then. Since your explanation didn't make me feel like I would have predicted the outcome in advance, it remained an improbability. I started to wonder if Sprout's mastermind might have arranged for you to show up, too. And then I realised the note to myself hadn't really come from future-me, and that gave it away completely."

Blah blah blah, more exposition, more pointless backstory for events we've long since forgotten about anyway (or at least I have). God this is a long chapter. Severus Snape was made head of Slytherin by Dumbledore in order to undermine and eventually disband the house. Bellatrix was always a psychopath. The Voldemort persona was supposed to be a trial run for his real plan, but people are just so dumb and so goddamn crazy that he ended up being ridiculously successful and had to move his plans forward. And Voldemort kept winning because of how dumb everyone else is.

Voldemort, he says, learned that people didn't respect his "good" persona (David Munroe) or Dumbledore, but did respect the bad guys (Voldemort, Lucius Malfoy) because they found the good guys nonthreatening and undemanding. Fear = respect, basically. Apparently the fact that Dumbledore can basically do whatever he likes whenever he likes and anyone who tries to stop him will automatically be opposed by almost everyone is completely undermined by the way people sometimes talk disrespectfully about him behind his back and go unpunished.

This next bit's a little odd. Harry suggests that Voldemort should have tested his true immortality spell by getting someone else to cast it, then killing them to see if it worked. Voldemort agrees. Harry says that the reason Voldemort didn't do that is because he never thinks of doing anything nice for anyone else, because it goes against his image of himself as mean and nasty. Voldemort agrees. Where this falls down for me is, forcing someone to risk their life in order to test out your immortality spell isn't nice. The two suggestions are fine individually, but this supposed link between them just doesn't hold up.

Then Harry asks Voldemort if he's ever tried being nice and it turns out he has and it brought him no joy. So Harry asks him if being Voldemort made him happy and he says no, but then immediately contradicts himself by saying that actually killing people he perceives to be idiots does make him happy - and it's the only thing that ever has. And then - finally - he finishes the potion and the Q&A session and the chapter are over.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Tiggum posted:

I can't remember what that's about. I'm not going to go back and try to find it, but if anyone remembers what Harry drew then please remind me.

I don't remember exactly, but I think Harry gave away how to recognize the ressurection stone. This let Voldemort realize that he had it the whole time (something he never figured out in the books), and could thus use it to project thought-forms of himself from beyond.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tiggum posted:

The Voldemort persona was supposed to be a trial run for his real plan, but people are just so dumb and so goddamn crazy that he ended up being ridiculously successful and had to move his plans forward. And Voldemort kept winning because of how dumb everyone else is.
In a very minor defense of Big Yud, this part right here makes complete sense.

Voldemort is dumb as gently caress and should not have had half the success he had, etc.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Tiggum posted:

The Trump persona was supposed to be a trial run for the cthonic reptile empire’s true plan, but people are just so dumb and so goddamn crazy that Trump ended up being ridiculously successful and so our reptilian overlords had to move their plans forward. Trump kept winning! because of how dumb everyone else is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chapter 109: Reflections

They arrive at the Mirror of Erised. Voldemort makes Harry go in first, in the invisibility cloak, to test if there are any more traps, concluding that there aren't. His plan is to have Harry try a bunch of stuff to get the Philosopher's Stone out of the mirror while he stays out of sight since he prefers not to look into the mirror himself. Harry suggests Fiendfyre, so Voldemort has his evil phoenix ram the mirror, which seems to just destroy the phoenix, but also reveals "a sequence of runes in no known alphabet" (although I'm not sure how Harry knows that).

"How old is this Mirror?" Harry said in almost a whisper.

"Nobody knows, Mr. Potter." The Defense Professor reached out his fingers toward the runes, a look of something like reverence on his face; but his fingers did not touch the gold. "But my guess is the same as yours, I think. It is said, in certain legends that may or may not be fabrications, that this Mirror reflects itself perfectly and therefore its existence is absolutely stable. So stable that the Mirror was able to survive when every other effect of Atlantis was undone, all its consequences severed from Time. You can see why I was amused when you suggested Fiendfyre." The Defense Professor let his hand fall.
The runes are apparently known as the "Words of False Comprehension" because when you look at them you feel like you can understand them but you can't. Voldemort claims that the mirror actually creates tiny worlds containing just what is apparently reflected in it, and some claim phoenixes actually came from one of these worlds.

Voldemort also just casually mentions that before now no one knew the mirror could show a person "an illusion of a world in which one of their desires has been fulfilled", implying that its previously known function was something else entirely. I don't know if that's been mentioned before or if it's coming up for the first time here, but it's obviously a pretty sharp deviation from canon. I guess its main function, as far as HPMoR is concerned, is creating pocket universes? Except that Voldemort also refers to it as a "wish-granting creation", so I don't know. I'm a bit lost.

Then Yudkowsky insults his audience:

Harry was still concentrating. "Do you think Dumbledore suspects that I am, in his terms, a horcrux of Lord Voldemort, or more generally, that some aspects of my personality were copied off Lord Voldemort?" Even as Harry asked this aloud, he realized what a dumb question it was, and how much completely blatant evidence he'd already seen that -

"Dumbledore cannot possibly have missed it," said Professor Quirrell. "It is not exactly subtle. What else is Dumbledore to think, that you are an actor in a play whose stupid author has never met a real eleven-year-old? Only a gibbering dullard would believe that - ah, never mind."
He seems to be responding to critics who said that Harry was poorly written by accusing them of being too stupid to understand that he wrote Harry implausibly on purpose. At least, that's my reading of it.

Anyway, the upshot of this is that Harry suspects that any trap placed on the mirror intended to catch Voldemort - and Voldemort is certain there is one - will also catch him, since he kind of is Voldemort. Voldemort agrees. Then they kind of just stand around trying to come up with potential solutions to the unknown puzzle they assume has been placed before them. Harry suggests the actual solution from the original books as too easy because Yudkowsky can't let an opportunity go by to brag about how much smarter he is than a book for children.

They come up with some other ideas, but it's not clear what parameters they're basing their strategies on because neither of them actually knows how the mirror works. Harry's basically never heard anything about it other than what Voldemort's told him, and Voldemort has, by his own admission, only read implausible and contradictory accounts. The plan they eventually decide on is a bit hard to summarise so Ill just quote it.

"Arguendo," Harry said. "We're not sure what's necessary to retrieve the Stone. But a sufficient condition should involve Albus Dumbledore, or maybe someone else, in a state of mind where they believe that the Dark Lord has been defeated, that the threat is over, and that it is time to take out the Stone and give it back to Nicholas Flamel. We aren't sure which part of that person's state of mind, let's say Dumbledore's, will be the necessary part that he thinks Lord Voldemort can't understand or duplicate; but under those conditions Dumbledore's entire state of mind will be sufficient."

"Reasonable," said Professor Quirrell. "So?"

"The corresponding strategy," Harry said carefully, "is to mimic Dumbledore's state of mind under those conditions, in as much detail as possible, while standing in front of the mirror. And this state of mind must have been produced by internal forces, not external ones."

"But how are we to get that without Legilimency or the Confundus Charm, both of which would certainly be external - ha. I see." Professor Quirrell's ice-pale eyes were suddenly piercing. "You suggest that I Confund myself, as you cast that hex upon yourself during your first day in Battle Magic. So that it is an internal force and not an external one, a state of mind that comes about through only my own choices.
Basically the plan is to mind control himself into thinking he's Dumbledore, which he does (after putting Harry in a magic circle so he can't escape or interfere). Harry thinks his impersonation of Dumbledore is inaccurate, but it seems to be working anyway. He gets the stone (or something that appears to be the stone?), gets briefly delayed, then snaps out of it and becomes himself again - just as Dumbledore appears in the mirror. As in the original book, Harry couldn't see what Voldemort saw in the mirror - but he can see Dumbledore. So I guess Dumbledore is in one of those pocket dimensions the mirror makes? The trap was him hiding inside the mirror? I guess we'll find out next time because the chapter ends on that cliffhanger.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I like how his definition of a 'rational' sufficient reason is based on wild-rear end guessing while the sensible answer would be "the stone was never here at all, because who baits a villain with the actual prize he's hunting."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In a very minor defense of Big Yud, this part right here makes complete sense.

Voldemort is dumb as gently caress and should not have had half the success he had, etc.

Much like current day British (and US) politics, all it took was one dumb, crazy fucker whose only lust is for power and loving people over therewith and a ton of monied aristocrats eager to line up behind anyone who would keep their dwindling inbred houses at the top of the social order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Much like current day British (and US) politics, all it took was one dumb, crazy fucker whose only lust is for power and loving people over therewith and a ton of monied aristocrats eager to line up behind anyone who would keep their dwindling inbred houses at the top of the social order.

Yeah that part at least was goddamn prescient.