Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Amppelix posted:

Actually it owns and having to dedicate moveslots/ entire pokemon on your team just for catching blows just as hard as HMs do

Note Block posted:

Having multiple Pokémon get away from dozens of nice-excellent ultra ball throws on yellow/orange rings does not in fact own.

friends, my friends, you're both correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pokemon get easier to catch the more of them you catch so if you’re chaining poo poo it eventually becomes a breeze. Catching is cool and good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

So how do I get a normal Eevee that can actually evolve in this game? I'm finding googling answers to stuff to be surprisingly sparse for Let's Go.

You can find wild Eevees on Route 17 west of Celadon City

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think making the timing matter more would be huge for making the catching feel more smooth. If I could think of a few other ways to tighten it up . . .

A) Make it so each catch attempt makes the next one easier, so it feels more like you're wearing the Pokemon down and less like you're randomly hoping.

B) Maybe add a few simple puzzle-like solutions that could make catching a bit more involved, albeit ones that become trivial and nonobtrusive after being solved once. Maybe save those only for rare, special fights.

C) Give the option to say "screw it" and fight, but make it an opt-in. This way you don't waste time sending your Pokemon out for every trivial encounter, but can try for a traditional catch to make it a sure thing.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Bleck posted:

friends, my friends, you're both correct

In Pokémon, all feelings all possible!

Next question, when can we start to accrue mega stones?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.serebii.net/letsgopikachueevee/
Everyone who has questions about what you can and can't do in LGP/E, go there.

Seriously.

You evolve an eevee to vaporeon by giving it a water stone, same as before.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't played Let's Go and I'm on the fence about getting it, is there a good set of self imposed rules to make the game more challenging? I know the usual nuzlocke rules don't translate exactly due to the catching system but is there anything similar that people are doing that at least makes losing possible for people experienced with the series?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I just have my Gyarados Crunch psychics, though I'm considering teaching him dark pulse instead

Crunch is better for Gyarados since it's a physical attack and Gyarados' attack stat is way higher than it's special.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pomplamoose posted:

I haven't played Let's Go and I'm on the fence about getting it, is there a good set of self imposed rules to make the game more challenging? I know the usual nuzlocke rules don't translate exactly due to the catching system but is there anything similar that people are doing that at least makes losing possible for people experienced with the series?

Only do the bare minimum of catching pokemon

(and if you do catch stuff a lot, just put your team away before doing it)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ultrachrist posted:

So how do I get a normal Eevee that can actually evolve in this game? I'm finding googling answers to stuff to be surprisingly sparse for Let's Go.

you can go into the pokedex and do "check habitat" on almost any pokemon and it'll tell you exactly where to find them

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
is there a way to get Melmetal that isn't ridiculously grindy and won't take me literal months

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I find that doing a Ginyu pose boosts your odds of a successful catch by like 30%

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

My biggest issue with the catching isn’t even mechanical, really

Catching being the primary way of getting experience makes catching less special. There was never a reason to catch a billion of one type, so the one you did catch for your party (or box) felt more special

The change in catching has made the Pokémon feel more disposable overall and I don’t like that :(

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I mean the alternative to prof oak taking them to a farm upstate is just littering the tall grass with poke-corpses so its all perspective

Edit: wild pidgey "fainted". Uh huh. Ive seen david attenborough talk about nature stuff and i don think thats how it works

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 22, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pomplamoose posted:

It's Pokemon, so you can always customize your adventure to whatever you feel fit. Maybe a monotype? Monotypes shouldn't be affected by Let's Go unless you want to use a type that isn't abundant in Kanto like Dragon, or Ghost, or Dark, or Steel, or...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is dumb a catch combo can be broken by the Pokémon fleeing. You have next to no way to control that, berries do jack poo poo to the catch rate it feels like

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Pomplamoose posted:

Don't ever use candy.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Team Rocket's defeat animations make me laugh when I see them

Venomoth is a good friend who took me through the graveyard, Team Rocket's base and the grass gym almost by itself

Eevee's been making happier sounds as I pet it more, one time it's played at high-fiving me. The menu icon for Eevee wiggles when it has a present for me

I've read people are spamming bad reviews for this game, which makes no sense

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Is dumb a catch combo can be broken by the Pokémon fleeing. You have next to no way to control that, berries do jack poo poo to the catch rate it feels like

If you’re chaining for a shiny leave after a single catch attempt and stop trying to catch at all after 31. Only go higher if you’re IV hunting or farming candy.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

deftest posted:

my Nidorina did not learn Toxic Spikes at level 35 as the movelist for Gen VII suggests. But also pokemon learn new moves not from Gen I, so... is there a handy list somewhere of what the moves look like in Let's Go?

Serebii dot net

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know the weird thing? I can successfully throw a ball to the left or right when necessary, but only if I don't think about it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

All of the catching complaints make sense since they're lifted completely from Go, a trash game that encourages endless catching and grinding and no real connection to your Pokemon in any way. It's a shame that's also translated. Also the whole running away thing, which is even worse in that game, since some Pokemon are so rare you can go years without seeing another one, so hopefully you catch it, fucker!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never had a new Mon in Go run from me except Abra.

In let's go if you have a chain going just make sure you run immediately if the first catch doesn't work.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Am I missing something with the Pokeball Plus? I've only got two buttons, so it seems like I just plain can't do some things that want you to hit + or Y, like get info on moves?

Frustrating that I spent money on the premium controller that works with only one game, and even in that one game all the help screens still show the default joycon buttons. :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Phenotype posted:

Am I missing something with the Pokeball Plus? I've only got two buttons, so it seems like I just plain can't do some things that want you to hit + or Y, like get info on moves?

Frustrating that I spent money on the premium controller that works with only one game, and even in that one game all the help screens still show the default joycon buttons. :(

shake it for the Y button

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

You know, now that you mention it, this game's button prompts are really bad. No pokeball support is one thing, but then there's also if you're using the left joycon, where it'll still show ABXY instead of anything that you actually have. Even worse is that nintendo already solved this problem! In their games, the button prompts always display as the entire diamond, with one of them highlighted. No letters necessary, and works no matter which joycon you're holding which way up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I've only played an hour or two so far, but I was really disappointed when even the "how to catch stuff" tutorial didn't show the Pokeball Plus.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Nodosaur posted:

shake it for the Y button

Unfortunately this doesn't work in battle, so you can't check move info.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Will I miss out much if I mostly play handheld mode? My TV's apparently not compatible with the switch. :(

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Pomplamoose posted:

- Don't use candies
- Don't use the starter Eevee/Pikachu or the original three starters
- Limit how much your main party gets experience from random catching (or remove it entirely)

This makes the game significantly more challenging.

quote:

you can go into the pokedex and do "check habitat" on almost any pokemon and it'll tell you exactly where to find them

neat, thanks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Aerofallosov posted:

Will I miss out much if I mostly play handheld mode? My TV's apparently not compatible with the switch. :(

if you're playing with the joycons occasionally pikachu/eevee will show up in the bottom corner and if you shake your joycon they'll give you an item they've found.

That's the only real difference I've found. It's much easier to throw pokeballs in handheld mode.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Andrast posted:

Only do the bare minimum of catching pokemon

(and if you do catch stuff a lot, just put your team away before doing it)

The problem with this is you need 50 different Pokémon caught to get into Koga’s gym.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Aerofallosov posted:

The biggest difference between handheld and console mode is that the catch mechanic works infinitely better in handheld mode.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Aerofallosov posted:

Not really. It's much easier to catch pocket monsters with the A button and minor movement controls vs. tossing balls with the joycons.

What kind of crazy TV do you have that isn't compatible with the Switch? A SD CRT from 1995? :thunk:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Aerofallosov posted:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Not really. It's much easier to catch pocket monsters with the A button and minor movement controls vs. tossing balls with the joycons.

What kind of crazy TV do you have that isn't compatible with the Switch? A SD CRT from 1995? :thunk:

I too wish to know about the TV

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Switches don't like Display Ports, they flat out won't work on a DP/HDMI dongle. Might be that he has all the HDMI ports full, and the last one left is a Display Port.
Or a Mini HDMI, heard Switches dislike these too.

Anyway, you can still catch Pokemon by swinging the Joycons, the only difference is that you'll have to use the Switch as a screen, with the joycons detached.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Kikas posted:

Switches don't like Display Ports, they flat out won't work on a DP/HDMI dongle. Might be that he has all the HDMI ports full, and the last one left is a Display Port.
Or a Mini HDMI, heard Switches dislike these too.

Anyway, you can still catch Pokemon by swinging the Joycons, the only difference is that you'll have to use the Switch as a screen, with the joycons detached.

They said the Switch "doesn't work" with their TV, so I don't think they're just out of ports. Gonna need a photo of OP's setup to be sure.

But yeah, tabletop mode is pretty good in this game. Or just kinda lazily holding the switch on your lap and tossing balls with the one detached joy-con.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Actually, I do have a CRT TV. I let my dad and sister have the good TVs because I mostly use it as background noise. I primarily game on my PC and 3DS. I keep debating a small, nicer TV one day, though. I just find it's not really worth the bother for me at the moment.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I also have only a CRT TV with a European SCART connection as the only option, and I never use it. If I'd buy a Switch or other console I'd have to buy a new TV too I guess...

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

- Don't use the starter Eevee/Pikachu

But not using candy seems easy enough, what else can I do to avoid being overleveled? I don’t want to bench my starter entirely.

RatHat posted:

The problem with this is you need 50 different Pokémon caught to get into Koga’s gym.

What if I only caught one Pokémon per species and avoided/ran from any duplicates? Would that give me too much XP? I’d only use the first one I caught and throw out the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Catch roughly the same amount you would in a normal game if you weren't IV or Shiny Farming and you'd be fine.

I catch enough of each species to trade for all alolan variants and have one of each evolutionary stage, and double for version exclusives so I can trade them multiples, and fight all road trainers, and generally they're using Pokemon about the same level as mine.