Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

JBP posted:

I find this amazing that they can't get candidates. They've got so many female councillors.

Also the Vic ratio makes sense to me now, I thought they were running more candidates so the % is actually good. Still surprised that more women aren't candidates tho

Local government is significantly less dirty politics.

This election has been dirty and will make everyone who isn't a lawyer, born rich with parents who kept them in line to protect their future, or just lucky enough to have been extremely boring think thrice before putting their name down. The good thing might be proper disclosure from those who are keen, the bad thing will be cutting a lot of voices out of participation due to fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I want Guy to win so this thread can explode and me and GSC can eat popcorn.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

They have no money, they’re being infiltrated by Mormons and ultra conservative christians who are odious to the electorate, and they have absolutely zero talent left.

Remember that we all once thought that Tony Abbott would be odious to the electorate.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ABC are quoting different polling, which suggests DAndrews will win.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/23/business-council-excoriates-coalitions-ad-hoc-and-extreme-energy-policies

Even the Coalition's biggest flag wavers, the Business Council of Australia, are now against Morrison and his energy policies

Anidav posted:

I want Guy to win so this thread can explode and me and GSC can eat popcorn.

I want Dandrews to win to continue Victoria as the best state in this racist drought ridden poo poo hole of a country

Recoome posted:

I think the head line is supposed to say "It is Dan's election to lose". Kinda trying the John Hewson "Losing the unloseable election" hoodoo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

You Am I posted:

I think the head line is supposed to say "It is Dan's election to lose". Kinda trying the John Hewson "Losing the unloseable election" hoodoo

It says Dan is to lose.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What are the newspaper endorsements?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doesn't "the editor" usually write a screaming puff piece on who to vote for by now?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Anidav posted:

Doesn't "the editor" usually write a screaming puff piece on who to vote for by now?

Can’t you just ask him in the next cubicle over?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Anidav posted:

What are the newspaper endorsements?
Herald Sun: Vote Coalition.
The Age: Return Dan Andrews for a second term.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

AgentF posted:

Remember that we all once thought that Tony Abbott would be odious to the electorate.

He was and is, he won despite his popular appeal not because of it. If Labor didn’t utterly poo poo their pants on multiple occasions they probably could have won despite the massive mining industry and media attacks

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I think that usually happens on the Saturday? By then people have well and truly made up their minds, or already been to the ballot box

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Isn't Rupert's Rant the day before election day? At least that's what I thought the usual situation was.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

HUN two page editorial ends with:

"Tomorrow's vote will decide this state's direction and prosperity. On the balance the Herald Sun advocates for a vote in favour of Matthew Guy and the Liberals, to ensure Victoria makes the most of the challenges and opportunities ahead."

This is after a bunch of poo poo about radical greens and the usual junk.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

This is after a bunch of poo poo about radical greens and the usual junk.

I didn't know you ghost-wrote for the HUN editorial.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anyone have a good suggestion for a webcrawler to download content (including setting how many links deep to go)? It would be really handy for me to be able to automatically grab all the election commitments off the parties websites before they get nuked

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

clusterfuck posted:

I didn't know you ghost-wrote for the HUN editorial.

Greens have good policy, the only thing radical about them is the lack of internal discipline.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/edmundtadros/status/1065729308008710144?s=21

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
dont buy too much stupid poo poo today

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Man I'm really looking forward to that Lobster

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So the stuff about Labor supporting the NEG isn't 100% right because I remember the NEG being a piece of garbage because it locked in coal emissions but Shorten's saying he's ruling out support for coal? So this isn't the original unedited NEG? What exactly is going on here?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sounds like some good old fashion politicking to me.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

I want Guy to win so this thread can explode and me and GSC can eat lobstet.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

Greens have good policy, the only thing radical about them is the lack of internal discipline.

Painfully fair comment.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

AgentF posted:

So the stuff about Labor supporting the NEG isn't 100% right because I remember the NEG being a piece of garbage because it locked in coal emissions but Shorten's saying he's ruling out support for coal? So this isn't the original unedited NEG? What exactly is going on here?

They don't want to piss off the resources industry.

They edited the NEG to exclude coal but include Gas which means the resources lobby won't run ads about Bill Shorten killing country towns ect.

Then they will introduce a climate change policy on top of the NEG which is rumoured to be a ETS.

Basically it's a Frankenstein stitched together to get a emissions trading scheme on the table without pissing off the Gillard/Rudd slaying war machine.

That's how I understand it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And now the ALP has the industry on side robbing the LNP of an ally come election time.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
DEATH IS SHORTEN

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Tally Room's podcast has an interesting round up of the state of play in the Victorian election here

As others have said, vote below the line this election, you only have to name 5 preferences and that will take care of 99% of the problem. Interesting things from the podcast:

* Andrews says he won't work with the Greens but what if there ends up a significant number in either house? ALP are much happier dealing with a rag-tag bunch of minor righties than a block of Greens.

* Can the Greens keep Prahan? Has anyone got any scuttlebutt about shenanigans there? Can the Greens in fact improve their showing in Melbourne metro seats and give Andrews a scare?

* Bentleigh, Mordialloc, Carrum and Frankston are seats that are usually won by the winning party in Victorian elections going back some years. ALP seem to be polling well there, but can LNP take one or two?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC1qW-X29IU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

ewe2 posted:

* Can the Greens keep Prahan? Has anyone got any scuttlebutt about shenanigans there? Can the Greens in fact improve their showing in Melbourne metro seats and give Andrews a scare?

The Greens have run a really strong field campaign in Prahran.

My guts tell me that the state-wide unpopularity of the Liberals and Prime Minister ScoMo will work against the Liberals in this electorate. They're Turnbull Tories here.

Labor are of course popular across the state but I'm not sure how that will translate in Prahran. In terms of local campaigning Labor appear to be less visible and active than the Greens and Liberals.

It was super marginal last time, so who knows?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think the liberals might win Prahran. Not basing this on anything. Gut feeling.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Greens candidate stood down over rape allegations just two days before Saturday's state election has been identified as Dominic Phillips.
Mr Phillips, who is standing for the seat of Sandringham and whose name will still appear on ballot papers, was stood down on Thursday after a woman wrote to Greens leader Samantha Ratnam by email accusing the candidate of raping her.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

JBP posted:

It says Dan is to lose.

that's a possessive apostrophe. The election is (belongs to) Dan's (unless he chooses) to lose.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

I'm extremely pro death panels for tech-bros.

I look forward to someday being a Greens Candidate, having my shitposting splashed on the front page of the hun and saying proudly "I loving stand by everything. Death to capitalism"

You're gonna have to do a lot more raping.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Eight days earlier

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Election prediction time!

ewe2 posted:

* Andrews says he won't work with the Greens but what if there ends up a significant number in either house? ALP are much happier dealing with a rag-tag bunch of minor righties than a block of Greens.
If the choice is literally between "Constitutional crisis" or "minority government", I predict the ALP will work with the Greens, and promptly lose the next few elections for it. That said, my hot(test?) take prediction is ALP outright government.

ewe2 posted:

Can they keep Prahran? Yes. Will they? I'm slightly leaning towards "they won't", but mainly on the basis of it being a three-horse race, and them being one horse. As for improving their showing generally and in the metro, I don't think they will this time around. My guess is the Greens will lose seats - my hot three picks to watch would be Upper Western Metro (Huong Truong), Prahran, and wildcard Melbourne. There'll be a lot of finger-pointing if any of them go (preferences, internal party culture, non-shite government), but I don't think it'll amount to knifing Sam Ratnam. I also think Labor will hold Richmond this time, lose it when Richard Wynne goes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

that's a possessive apostrophe. The election is (belongs to) Dan's (unless he chooses) to lose.

It was a joke, Ken. It was an election joke.

Also in why we won't have a revolution and conservatism is still popular news:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-23/australia-tops-median-wealth-per-adult-list/10518082

Chart of the day: Australia nudges Switzerland off top of global median wealth list
Story Lab By Cristen Tilley
Updated 53 minutes ago

It might not feel like it to a lot of Australians, but we have just overtaken Switzerland as the wealthiest people in the world.

In its Global Wealth Report 2018, Credit Suisse puts the median adult wealth of Australians at $US191,453 ($264,903).

That means half of Australians are wealthier than that, and half are not.

Credit Suisse says the typical Australian's position is thanks to high average wealth — courtesy of our compulsory superannuation system and high property prices — combined with relatively low wealth inequality.

The report also notes that Australia's reliance on property prices (60 per cent of our assets are "non-financial") is higher than a lot of other places.

Globally, the median wealth per adult is $US4,210 ($5,820).

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Lid posted:

Eight days earlier

I have so many questions

Why would you, as an adult, like these pages?

Why would you, as a public figure, like these pages?

Why would you, as a public figure, not immediately nuke your facebook page on getting put on the ballot?

How did the Greens not find this poo poo during vetting if Mark 'dumb movie reviews' Fennell can hunt them down during his lunchbreak?

Was that honestly the best photo they have of him cos holy gently caress even I photograph better than that goomba

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*looks at photo, content*

Can a child stand as a candidate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Even if they don’t have a majority, Labor will form government without a partnership with the Greens. There is no way the greens would cause a constitutional crisis resulting in turfing a labor government in Victoria. It would end them for a generation in their strongest state.