Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I am still super excited to see how Ogre Kingdoms will be implemented, a faction that is for the most part Monstrous Infantry is an exciting thought. Like an army full of Minotaurs but some carrying giant shrapnel shotgun cannons. Greasus better be disgusting and be carried by a hundred Gnoblars.

Greasus should have different "Mounts" which are just him in various states of ridiculously comical obesity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Christ, they've patched the Greenskins so much in the campaign that the Thorgrim start is now basically impossible. Karak Kandrin really shouldn't be the easiest and most viable dwarf start.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Christ, they've patched the Greenskins so much in the campaign that the Thorgrim start is now basically impossible. Karak Kandrin really shouldn't be the easiest and most viable dwarf start.

Greenskins were the second most powerful faction in my recent Kemmler ME playthrough. All the dwarfs except the ones starting next to me were dead before I saw them.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
In like 98% of my campaigns greenskins are usually 1 or 2 on the rankings. It's real lovely when you get drawn into a war with them by an ally or an enemy inviting them, because they will 100% send 5+ stacks at you and bog you down in a hell war that lasts way too many turns. The only positive is their armies are fairly easy to beat.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That’s at least pretty well in line with the fluff.

E: the “iconic warhammer” thing I think is missing from the empire campaign is a big orc invasion through the border princes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Orc hellwar is better than dwarf hellwar.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’d still temper your Cathay expectations bc the VSea roster already existed in entirety, as did Norsca. Cathay is on another level.

Yeah, I'll be genuinely shocked of CA announces a Cathay army, but they're the only ones in not-Asia what even have a chance. Nippon's lore is nothing more than "trained Clan Eshin in ninja tactics for some idiotic reason" and Ind's lore begins and ends with "they exist."

Unrelated: VCoast really drives home exactly how loving boring the VCs are to play and it baffles me how they have the most LLs, updates, and overall attention.

Beefeater1980 posted:

That’s at least pretty well in line with the fluff.

E: the “iconic warhammer” thing I think is missing from the empire campaign is a big orc invasion through the border princes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen.

It has happened exactly once but my favorite Empire playthrough was Franz holding the pass against infinity Orcs while Gelt rained steel on turn after turn of undead revolts in the two Sylvania.

Krazyface posted:

Orc hellwar is better than dwarf hellwar.

Orc Hellwar is actually a heavenwar

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 23, 2018

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Nippon actually has units with stats, though they're literally just sengoku units + foo dogs

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Acute Grill posted:

Unrelated: VCoast really drives home exactly how loving boring the VCs are to play and it baffles me how they have the most LLs, updates, and overall attention.

They're laying the groundwork for the Legions of Nagash.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

do any of the new vampire lords buff ghosts at all? i want to run a Vampire Ghost army

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

do any of the new vampire lords buff ghosts at all? i want to run a Vampire Ghost army

Cylostra can get +15% physical resistance for Syreens and one of the researched admirals gets +10% physical resist and some weapon damage. Cylostra and ghosts is certainly thematic but unfortunately there's only one ghost unit on the VSea roster.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

They're laying the groundwork for the Legions of Nagash.

This would make it worth it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
After watching a few videos it seems like people like to put archers in front for some easy shots then pull back when the enemy gets close. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how. I try to move them back, they just get stuck on my infantry and get ruined. I tried to use the formation command to move them and they got stuck, then my archers immediately broke and ran despite not being attacked at all.

What is the key to move troops past other troops without it taking loving forever?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
While i like Vsea and are having a blast with Sartosa ME right now, I actually prefear the style of VC if i where to pick one. :shobon:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

After watching a few videos it seems like people like to put archers in front for some easy shots then pull back when the enemy gets close. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how. I try to move them back, they just get stuck on my infantry and get ruined. I tried to use the formation command to move them and they got stuck, then my archers immediately broke and ran despite not being attacked at all.

What is the key to move troops past other troops without it taking loving forever?

Try leaving gaps in your lines.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Demon_Corsair posted:

I mean, if you want to get really fiddly you can make gaps in your line and pull them back through those while your melee moves forward to engage. Or you can just give yourself enought time for your troops to move past one another, though in that case you might be getting more shots in by just having them behind your frontline or building a classic checkerboard formation.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

it shouldnt take that long to make them go thru, you might just be having them retreat too late, also i would suggest running your infantry line forward at the same time, it will speed up the switch and maybe make more room for everyone to travel

also turning off skirmish mode will help with some of the management, they wont just randomly run around when an enemy gets near

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

one thing i really wish for is being able to save formations for easy hotkeying later, it would help so goddamn much

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zyla posted:

one thing i really wish for is being able to save formations for easy hotkeying later, it would help so goddamn much

This would make my gunpowder campaigns so much easier. I know that dorky pike and shot formations are great but I go insane setting them up each time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Since archers arc their shots, there's no need to do this. I just keep them behind a melee unit. For gunpowder units, there's definitely more finesse involved obviously.

I don't like to leave missile units exposed because you risk them getting slammed by light cavalry or sneaky stealth units.

The AI also tends to shoot at the nearest units it encounters, and aside from dwarf and elf missile units most others will be pretty hurt by missile fire themselves. Ideally you want your shielded, tanky and high leadership units to be absorbing missile fire.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Zyla posted:

Give me a chevrons hot key. The MS Paint formations in the OP look fantastic, but I just can't be bothered.

It would even be find of cool if the formations available expanded through Blue line skills for your general.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Noir89 posted:

While i like Vsea and are having a blast with Sartosa ME right now, I actually prefear the style of VC if i where to pick one. :shobon:

Given the changes of Vampire Counts, part of me is waffling on getting the game(They're both too damm huge for my drive), getting a faction unlocker of some sort, and doing a 'Strygos will rise again' playthrough(One of the rebel/minor factions is Strygos, the first true Undead Kingdom, that was wiped out mainly due to machinations. They deserve better).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

also for people who dont know since this was kind of mindblowing for me, the order you ctrl click your unit cards is the order they'll appear when you right click and drag. so if you want spears on the wings, just like, ctrl click spear spear sword sword sword sword spear spear, no matter how their unit cards are, and when you drag em out they'll be lined up like that. it owns.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it would be very strange to me if they did a nagash army because his end times army was just tomb kings + vampire counts smooshed together, with like 2 new guys total.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it would be very strange to me if they did a nagash army because his end times army was just tomb kings + vampire counts smooshed together, with like 2 new guys total.

I think that the reason that the undead are getting so much attention is just because they are going to have a big presence in the game 3 grand campaign and having a wider pool of units to choose from would make something like a Nagash faction less boring.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alternately it's because Warhams undead always had a lot of personality and their factions tended to be based around lots of big characters who make easy Legendary Lords to design.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The bloodlines were also a huge and very popular part of the 6th edition VC—I remember the internet exploding when it was announced they were getting cut in favour of more Von Carsteins. It kinda makes sense that this game—which is all about getting back the poo poo that players loved and ignoring the stuff they didn't—would work to add them back in.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

queeb posted:

also for people who dont know since this was kind of mindblowing for me, the order you ctrl click your unit cards is the order they'll appear when you right click and drag. so if you want spears on the wings, just like, ctrl click spear spear sword sword sword sword spear spear, no matter how their unit cards are, and when you drag em out they'll be lined up like that. it owns.

Gamechanger

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

queeb posted:

Sometimes this doesnt work for me for like artillery, when I was playing Harkon i wanted Mortar/Queen Bess/Mortar and it kept putting bess at the end of the line :argh: otherwise yeah it works great.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

so i was researching nagash to do a post on him and i really dont like where the end times stuff takes his character. originally he was just a classic style omnicidal maniac, he invented necromancy and wanted to use it to turn the world undead so he could control it.

but they added a bunch of stuff about him being a weird petty sociopathic rapist also. they tried to character assassinate arkhan too, by saying his nickname 'the black' is from him getting rotten teeth from being a greedy treat-monger, but they couldn't keep him down and he ended up being a true pimp to the end and macking on neferata before giving his life to let her get to safety.

anyway i made this diagram that shows how i feel about nagash's treatment by gw

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Since archers arc their shots, there's no need to do this. I just keep them behind a melee unit. For gunpowder units, there's definitely more finesse involved obviously.

I don't like to leave missile units exposed because you risk them getting slammed by light cavalry or sneaky stealth units.

The AI also tends to shoot at the nearest units it encounters, and aside from dwarf and elf missile units most others will be pretty hurt by missile fire themselves. Ideally you want your shielded, tanky and high leadership units to be absorbing missile fire.

Agaisnt the AI it isn't really necessary, but against other players it can be. Putting you archers in front of your line lets you get a few volleys off against an enemy that isn't doing it and be a game changer in an otherwise tight game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

End times, the poisoned fruit that keeps on spoiling things.

My dream is that GW will just be like End Times was a weird rear end fever dream, we're rolling back the lore to post Storm of Chaos, and go from there. Or really anything loving pre End Times.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Any tips for dealing with wood elves as Barrow Legion? Cos I'm taking athel loren, and its some WWI poo poo right here

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Eimi posted:

My dream is that GW will just be like End Times was a weird rear end fever dream, we're rolling back the lore to post Storm of Chaos, and go from there. Or really anything loving pre End Times.

If Wizards loving up Faerun is any indication, I think companies prefer trying to get the rollback without actually admitting they hosed up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
One of the red skills for Vampire Coast gives Bloated Corpses +10 charge bonus. How the hell does that work? It just gets applied to the explosion? Even weirder is they have a melee attack value. It would have been neat if it was able to actually fight a bit before exploding, since it would help infantry clump around it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If it gets hit it'll fight. I think. poo poo man I don't even know these things always blow up by the first engagement.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
At least that skill also gives them a speed bonus, which is pretty important. Bloated Corpses are so goddamn useful, especially the way that enemy cavalry will just charge them head-on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I always just see them fall over age pop as soon as they make contact. It sucks when it's one enemy cavalry that does it.

Cylostra can end up with upkeep free bloaties which makes it tempting to rush an enemy with 19 of them to see the fireworks.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Salted_Pork posted:

Any tips for dealing with wood elves as Barrow Legion? Cos I'm taking athel loren, and its some WWI poo poo right here

have twice as many units as the wood elves have. you will still lose half your units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I know the writers got pissy over the community loving up their perfect Storm of Chaos plotline, but they could have taken it interesting places if they'd bothered to even try. Archaon could have been disgraced with multiple champions vying to replace him, for example. He could have even been lurking in the background trying to take back his rightful place and playing these champions against each other. Or he could have been loving dead because he's a dumb loser idiot.