Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

El Mero Mero posted:

^^^hooray!

In other gently caress you news:

Just lol. Can't wait to die in a toxic chemical fire

ha ha ha the fed is trying to kill us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

New PPP out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqJbE1bvdgo

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Water is currently falling from the sky in Northern California. Hallelujah.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I can breath clearly now the rain has come

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I forgot what it was like to go outside for more than 10 min without going into coughing fits.:unsmith:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

rain, or, as i like to call it, nature's rake

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot what it was like to go outside for more than 10 min without going into coughing fits.:unsmith:

I can't wait to wake up without a headache!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I can open my windows again!

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

CopperHound posted:

Wait... What? Are they suggesting DoT 1.1 cargo is currently shipped with just one driver?

Yup, and let this Québécois tell you, that situation sucks and then it blows: Lac-Mégantic rail disaster. Poor driver was hosed from the start.

Some of my workmates lost family in that. Single-driver with hazardous is goddamn lunacy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"One silver lining for California Republicans in 2020: there aren’t many competitive congressional districts left for them to lose."

https://twitter.com/kkondik/status/1065647724832403456

:yeshaha:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FMguru posted:

"One silver lining for California Republicans in 2020: there aren’t many competitive congressional districts left for them to lose."

https://twitter.com/kkondik/status/1065647724832403456

:yeshaha:

hopefully we can turf ling ling chang in 2020 after that recall bullshit, among other seats in the state senate up in 2020

and there's a few state assembly seats which suddenly look ripe for the picking (the one around little saigon/huntington beach and another one in san diego county are within 3 points of flipping at the moment)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did Jerry Brown really admit Trump was right about logging restrictions being responsible for the fires? That doesn't sound right.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Panfilo posted:

Did Jerry Brown really admit Trump was right about logging restrictions being responsible for the fires? That doesn't sound right.

Brown did suggest some lifting of logging restrictions this summer:

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2018/08/23/gov-jerry-brown-proposes-easing-logging-rules-to-thin-forests/

quote:

Under Brown’s proposal, private landowners would be able to cut trees up to 36 inches in diameter — up from the current 26 inches — on property 300 acres or less without getting a timber harvest permit from the state, as long as their purpose was to thin forests to reduce fire risk. They also would be able to build roads of up to 600 feet long without getting a permit, as long as they repaired and replanted them.

As far as I know the proposed changes to logging never actually made it into a bill. And I haven't heard Brown praising Finnish raking practices or whatever Trump was rambling about.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Happy Thanksgiving (Pardons and Commutations) 🦃

https://twitter.com/davidminpdx/status/1065664908186988544

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Pardons-and-CommutationsNov-21-2018.pdf

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Theoretically, what are the implications if every county and seat in a state turned blue?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Theoretically, what are the implications if every county and seat in a state turned blue?

I believe that's the cue for total loss of highway funding and federal disaster relief aid.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Telsa Cola posted:

A different party starting up at the state level. Prior to the civil war you had several regional parties because republicans weren't on the ballots there, being completely outside of slaveowners ideas of acceptable

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there was a race in napa for like, state assembly seat or something that was centrist democrat vs bernie democrat that had millions in outside money coming in, so probably more of that where everyone is nominally a democrat but there's really 2+ parties

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ugh, elections are so much more complicated when I can't just vote not Republican. It is so much simpler when people willingly label themselves a piece of poo poo.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Maybe Bakersfield can find a way to fall out of love with Kevin McCarthy.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah what’s the deal there, Bakersfield’s a fairly large city, so I would have thought it would have some defense against people like him just due to the nature of urban areas. Is it just CHUDopolis?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Maybe California will be the place where the Democrats become the conservative party and a new progressive party rises to its left!

A man can dream.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

themrguy posted:

Yeah what’s the deal there, Bakersfield’s a fairly large city, so I would have thought it would have some defense against people like him just due to the nature of urban areas. Is it just CHUDopolis?

its a relatively cheap city in the central valley, aka right-wing whitey land, so yeah there's a lot of dudebro chuds. sucks for the large non-white portion of the population lol :911:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Ugh, elections are so much more complicated when I can't just vote not Republican. It is so much simpler when people willingly label themselves a piece of poo poo.

But just imagine a world where we have a genuine left-leaning party and the neo-liberal Dems serve as the new conservative faction. If that fever dream were to ever come true, California seems like the most likely place for it to start.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Maybe California will be the place where the Democrats become the conservative party and a new progressive party rises to its left!

A man can dream.

some kind of reverse Dixiecrat Switch?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It happens sometimes that local races in the Bay Area are between the Progressive and the Moderate. All it would take is a little more formal organization behind the candidates when that happens.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

themrguy posted:

fun fact, kern county was one of the counties where obama won less than 20% of the white vote in 2012

and mccarthy's district is the white side of bakersfield, oildale (which has a reputation as klansville from what i gather), and overall is majority-white, so.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

themrguy posted:

Oil and big ag, mostly white. Decades of unsustainable resource extraction is catching up to the San Joaquin Valley and they’ve decided to blame REGULATORS instead of taking responsibility.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

quote:

An August 2005 article in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer listed Bakersfield as the eighth-most-conservative city in the United States and the most conservative city in California.[105] In the 2008 Presidential election, Republican John McCain received 55.6% of the city's votes to Democrat Barack Obama's 42.9%.[106] The same year, Bakersfield cast 75.2% of its votes in favor of Proposition 8, which amended the California Constitution to ban same-sex marriage.[107] In the 2016 presidential election, Donald Trump received 50.4% of the vote to Hillary Clinton's 44.0%[108]

Almost there.

Edit: Bakersfield still looks a gerrymandered despite the redistricting.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 23, 2018

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Oil and big ag, mostly white. Decades of unsustainable resource extraction is catching up to the San Joaquin Valley and they’ve decided to blame REGULATORS instead of taking responsibility.

Congress
created
DUSTBOWL

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

CopperHound posted:

Thankfully those kinds of people still leave plenty of tell-tale signs in their bios. Just look for key phrases like "fiscally responsible" or "tough on crime" - those are usually dead giveaways.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
https://twitter.com/beecourts/status/1067233513777246208

Cox ahead of Valadao in one of the last contested House seats

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Highbrow Slick posted:

Thought this was gov race for a second

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

understandable, from what i have read of cox's website he is maybe even more of an empty suit as gavin

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's not the worst necessarily (support for free community college and stuff is good, iffy statements about "access to affordable healthcare" less so, particularly from a guy who apparently has a lot of money in healthcare stuff), but not the best either. At the least I don't think he's a blue dog.

Either way, it would be satisfying to see Valadao booted out on his rear end.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
More LOLs from OC

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1067222293649141760

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thought this was statewide for a second

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Highbrow Slick posted:

Oh god, please. I lived at NAS Lemoore for four years and I came to hate Valadao. Typical slimy Central Valley conservative.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao that repeal of the state taxes deduction really hosed the republicans bigly in their last holdouts in the blue states

(watch the dems re enact the deduction and then instantly lose all those areas back to the republicans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shear Modulus posted:

understandable, from what i have read of cox's website he is maybe even more of an empty suit as gavin

rock em sock em robots