Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
"Why hello there I would like to be a candidate for The Greens. I submit that I would be an excellent candidate on the grounds that I deactivated my facebook account and nothing else."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

"Why hello there I would like to be a candidate for The Greens. I submit that I would be an excellent candidate on the grounds that I deactivated my facebook account and hate Australian hip hop."

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Anidav posted:

They don't want to piss off the resources industry.

They edited the NEG to exclude coal but include Gas which means the resources lobby won't run ads about Bill Shorten killing country towns ect.

Then they will introduce a climate change policy on top of the NEG which is rumoured to be a ETS.

Basically it's a Frankenstein stitched together to get a emissions trading scheme on the table without pissing off the Gillard/Rudd slaying war machine.

That's how I understand it.

So they're hoping to divide and conquer. I don't think the "resources lobby" will just behave itself though. It's easy to imagine a coal lobby all on it's own running an anti ALP campaign even if the iron or gas sectors are placated. Surely after Rudd -> Gillard the ALP know what they're in for.

One thing about the killing country towns angle though - isn't there increasing automation in the pipeline for mining? Didn't I read that Adani itself is planned as highly automated? The ALP needs to get ahead of that game and save those towns from automation.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

JBP posted:

It was a joke, Ken. It was an election joke.

we in the greens do not possess a sense of humor that i am aware of.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-23/bill-shorten-office-closed-over-school-student-climate-strike/10545456

quote:

A group of school students preparing for a nationwide strike over climate change inaction have prompted the closure of Bill Shorten's electorate office, on the advice of federal police.
Photographs show the extent of the menace, some twelve-year-olds with STOP ADANI signs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sitting at home and anonymously posting during your prime years. Goons would make good candidates if politicians were elected via web poll.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
mum says salt ash is an inside job

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

clusterfuck posted:

So they're hoping to divide and conquer. I don't think the "resources lobby" will just behave itself though. It's easy to imagine a coal lobby all on it's own running an anti ALP campaign even if the iron or gas sectors are placated. Surely after Rudd -> Gillard the ALP know what they're in for.

One thing about the killing country towns angle though - isn't there increasing automation in the pipeline for mining? Didn't I read that Adani itself is planned as highly automated? The ALP needs to get ahead of that game and save those towns from automation.

Nobody in industry or politics ever gave a gently caress about country towns. It's all smoke and mirrors for maintaining subsidies for mining companies and resisting further regulation etc.

The Adani mine is predicted to create about 1000 jobs. Over the lifetime of the entire mine. It's not statistically significant even on the state level, let alone nationally.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

thatbastardken posted:

we in the greens do not possess a sense of humor that i am aware of.

Unless you think sexual assault is funny

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bandaid.friend posted:

Photographs show the extent of the menace, some twelve-year-olds with STOP ADANI signs

The AFP are tasked with protecting federal politicians and it's their job to respond and advise on this. Path of least resistance and highest safety for everyone is to just shut the door. The protest is clearly being led by adults who are trying to access private offices unannounced. These offices require permanent guards for the security of the people that work there and they did their job.

If I entered the office of Sam Ratnam with a stop the rapes sign, would it be reasonable to admit me and entertain a meeting? No, it's a political stunt to get in the paper and they got into the paper.

Nice attempt at a beat up though. Maybe submit to Junkee.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Anidav posted:

I want Guy to win so this thread can explode and me and GSC can eat popcorn.

If Guy wins I will accept that Victoria is an inferior state to Queensland.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

iajanus posted:

Unless you think sexual assault is funny

Well their reporting processes are a laugh

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hidys posted:

If Guy wins I will accept that Victoria is an inferior state to Queensland.

It is written

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My feeling is that the Greens are going to loss seats - the only thing I hear is bad candidate vetting and and the local candidate sending me a text I didn't ask for asking for help.

If the Federal Greens don't get their act together for the next election, I'll probably drop my membership.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Nobody in industry or politics ever gave a gently caress about country towns. It's all smoke and mirrors for maintaining subsidies for mining companies and resisting further regulation etc.

The Adani mine is predicted to create about 1000 jobs. Over the lifetime of the entire mine. It's not statistically significant even on the state level, let alone nationally.

It's one of the PR pillars for the mining industry. It's the theme behind the "This is our story" campaign that rekt Rudd. The ALP can 100% expect more of this from the coal lobby because it worked before.

Here's country towns mixed with opportunity for indigenous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHuV-zFDFjg

Here's country towns mixed with opportunity for women.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgnmwoY5m7Q

The people behind these campaigns are often born country. So there's that.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/business-spectator/news-story/the-man-who-killed-rudds-mining-tax/851da8b4dc89dc8f1d34b236eba50737

And here's whatever the gently caress this is for everyone else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREUOpaVYJQ

Shorten seems to want a bob each way to keep playing the small target but I reckon without a bigger narrative / vision from the ALP they can get wedged on this. Plus, if they get into government and then surprise most of the electorate with a massive agenda they'll be rightly called out. They should start winning that argument now, before the election. Maybe, giving them benefit of the doubt, that is their plan and they'll start ramping up their position over the coming months. But, you know, hope is a lie.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

JBP posted:

The AFP are tasked with protecting federal politicians and it's their job to respond and advise on this. Path of least resistance and highest safety for everyone is to just shut the door. The protest is clearly being led by adults who are trying to access private offices unannounced. These offices require permanent guards for the security of the people that work there and they did their job.

If I entered the office of Sam Ratnam with a stop the rapes sign, would it be reasonable to admit me and entertain a meeting? No, it's a political stunt to get in the paper and they got into the paper.

Nice attempt at a beat up though. Maybe submit to Junkee.

The ABC doesn't say any of this, if it's normal why is there an article, that's no good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So once upon a time there were 3 nerds.

One spent their adolescence on 4chan
One on Reddit
The other on Something Awful

The 4chan one became a white nationalist and joined the Nationals only to be kicked out.
The Reddit one never got a girlfriend and joined the greens only to become a sex pest.
The Something Awful one became a harmless basement dwelling communist who would rather make jokes about the political climate while licking cheeto dust off his fingers and watching every episode of Insiders.

This is the accurate break down of how the internet has affected the politically inclined youths of today.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
jfc why are the Greens so rapey? And / or stupid? Why can't we just have a good leftist movement in Australia?
Fuckwits like that make it easy for the majority to dismiss anything left of Howard.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Are the other parties actually less rapey?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

GotLag posted:

Are the other parties actually less rapey?
I assume a lot goes on with the Liberals but it's harder to speak out about it.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

snoremac posted:

I assume a lot goes on with the Liberals but it's harder to speak out about it.

No women in the liberals to rape

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to get back on the country. at least it's solid beneath my feet. i'm going to live in the valley and eat wheat straight off the stalk. i'm going to gently caress lots of cows, but eventually i will settle down with one

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

incredible flesh posted:

i'm going to get back on the country. at least it's solid beneath my feet. i'm going to live in the valley and eat wheat straight off the stalk. i'm going to gently caress lots of cows, but eventually i will settle down with one

Wrong account, Barnaby

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

The ABC doesn't say any of this, if it's normal why is there an article, that's no good

The article says what happened, it doesn't need to give you a blow by blow procedural breakdown. The story is a curiosity, gone as quickly as it came.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Vic Greens clearly need to get their house in order - Quote by man from Qld

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 23, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ReachTEL demo breakdown

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

ReachTEL demo breakdown

Women are much more likely to vote Coalition than men? I honestly didn't expect that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

ReachTEL demo breakdown

wtf

e: lots of beautiful people in that 18-34 bracket tho

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Yeah reachtel though

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

NTRabbit posted:

ReachTEL demo breakdown

lol at Greens male-female ratio

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1065583468929671168

poll god agrees, it also goes against polls ive seen that breakdown by gender

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1065583193485533184

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Trapezium Dave posted:

Women are much more likely to vote Coalition than men? I honestly didn't expect that.

old people vote tory

women live longer than men

huge numbers of still alive 65+ tory women skew the polls

hire me anthony green im available

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Re Prahran:

Sam Hibbins hasn't done anything to piss people off but there's not really much he can do on an individual level either so other than putting positive pictures of himself on ads before the elections there's not much to say.

I took that split Ladbrokes bet for $150 split between Greens and Liberal.
I don't think Labor will take it - like it's been mentioned, it's hipster/Turnbull-Tory territory here, Labor doesn't have a base. Everyone is either rich and living in a fantastic location, or living in a tiny apartment. It's the most populous district per km^2.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Aren’t reachtel polls notoriously unreliable?

I mean it’s either that or Matthew Guy has inadvertently countered the entire recorded polling history of women voting more progressive than men.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Trapezium Dave posted:

Yeah that seemed weird to me too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

monkeu posted:

How would that slow them down?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
polls are only unreliable when they put labor behind imo

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

monkeu posted:

This sounds awful but I genuinely think this might have a bit to do with it.

Also, lol, my brother very briefly joined the Young Liberals and it was 100% dudes. I think he was a bit disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Okay I concede that would slow them down but in no way would it stop them