Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Does anyone remember one of these that was a Daggerfall demo? It took up the whole CD and wasn't downloadable anywhere, but it was pretty much a standalone game set on a large island that wasn't on the full game's map. I think I had more fun with that than the full game, it was a smaller, denser world.

To clarify, it was the island of Betony, which IS in Daggerfall proper, but the demo had the capital city of Betony and a few other cities/towns, which aren't included in the full game.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Betony_Demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Man, I hate when I fail to keep up with the thread. :sigh:

Anyway, here's something interesting bit of information that came across that I don't think is widely known (at least in full). Remember how there was a lot of speculation over how Super Noah's Ark 3D got ahold of the Wolfenstein 3D? Well, I found a (further) explanation to it.

In LGR's review of Super Noah's Ark 3D, he brings up how the company (Wisdom Tree) they did approach iD for the license to use the Wolf3D engine, and that they used to be known Color Dreams. However, I don't think he brings up this point in the video.

Originally, Color Dreams had planned on making a game based off of Clive Barker's Hellraiser, and while it never came to be, they were going to do so using the Wolfenstein 3D Engine.

From a Hellraiser fansite where the communicated with one of the devs:

http://www.cenobite.com/collect/vg.htm posted:

"Color Dreams had purchased the Wolfenstein 3D engine. With this engine, they had made Noah's Ark 3D for the Super Nintendo and they planned to make a Hellraiser game for the PC. The game had turned out nicely, but the Hellraiser licensed was about to expire and Doom was released, so Color Dreams really couldn't justify releasing the PC game."

I know that's not a huge revelation, andI'm not the first person to come across this factoid, though. This video talks about it (as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0bC7ZkHmic) I just thought it was sort of amusing.

However, from that same fansite, I read about another FPS-type game based on Hellraiser called Hellraiser: Virtual Hell. It also was never finished. In it, though, there was mention that the engine they worked with was going to be used for a Warhammer game that also got canned.

http://www.cenobite.com/collect/vg.htm posted:

Publishers liked the game and the license, but they didn't think the engine would ever work. They were right of course. In a small bit of justice however, the company that made the engine had a better working copy they were using for a warhammer game and their publisher decided to kill it with only 3 or 4 bugs left on the list."

I did a search and I think that canned Warhammer game was Warhammer: Dark Crusaders, though the screenshots look like they're taken from Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels.

Again, not really anything mind-blowing, just some interesting stuff I stumbled across. :vomarine::cenobite:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
LOL of course Super 3D Noah’s Ark is related to Hellraiser

which one of the sequels had cyber pinhead

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

david_a posted:

which one of the sequels had cyber pinhead

I've only seen 1-3 and 9, but I do believe it's 8, Hellworld.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Lambert posted:

I want a filter that simulates the two thin horizontal lines Trinitron monitors had.

Being annoyed by noticing aperture grille lines for me has since been replaced by being annoyed by dead pixels and backlight leaking.

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 23, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like the more subtle CRT filters in Retroarch, they gonna long way to improving 8- and 16-bit games on modern displays. Sonic Mania also has a good one.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Convex posted:

I like the more subtle CRT filters in Retroarch, they gonna long way to improving 8- and 16-bit games on modern displays. Sonic Mania also has a good one.

Are they good enough to accurately reproduce the fake extended colors and transparency some games used to do yet?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

That second screenshot is - IMO - typical of the people that fetishise CRT filters - they weren't around at the time and so don't realise that computer games, in particular, didn't look like that.

:agreed:
I still use a PC that has a Samsung 19" CRT (from 2000 or something) and looks really nice without the lovely lines. I mean, CRT's are still around and they aren't THAT old so people think they're the screens from the first Alien film...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there a filter that makes games look like how they did when being previewed by Nintendo Power? You know, extremely saturated and blurry?

Swear to god, I have no idea why NP always had the worst looking pics of games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite growing up in the 16-bit era I have no nostalgia for scanlines and don't understand the people who want old CRT filters on everything. When progressive scan first started becoming widespread in the early 2000s it was a freaking revelation and I'd never want to go back to interpolated.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Despite growing up in the 16-bit era I have no nostalgia for scanlines and don't understand the people who want old CRT filters on everything. When progressive scan first started becoming widespread in the early 2000s it was a freaking revelation and I'd never want to go back to interpolated.

You're confusing totally different things.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Flannelette posted:

Are they good enough to accurately reproduce the fake extended colors and transparency some games used to do yet?

Yeah, even stuff like CGA artifact colors work. MAME has pretty good CRT simulation with a ton of settings to play around with and I think RetroArch has a few different NTSC filters.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a filter that makes games look like how they did when being previewed by Nintendo Power? You know, extremely saturated and blurry?

OpenEmu for Mac has something called blargg NTSC that is basically this and I loving love it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want, and I am not joking, a degaussing simulator. Complete with audio effects.
I'm surprised nobody's done this yet.

Most old magazines got their console game screenshots back in the day by way of Rube Goldbergian setups for taking photos of a TV screen, so there's a lot of variables for why things looked like the way they did.

Going on one of my occasional news dumps...

BloodGDX updated the other day with a wide array of bugfixes, as well as a Vanilla Mode that restores several bugs from the original DOS code. If that's a thing you want. Weirdo.

QZDoom is back and being used as a testing ground for some "ASMJIT" system that basically means mod code will run a bit faster on x86/x64 systems. I haven't used it myself yet, but someone told me that Reelism got a big FPS increase on their system as a result, which is cool because that mod's not exactly sleek or well-made.

Reminder: The Tribes community are putting on a big event next Friday + weekend to mark the 20th anniversary of the series. RSVP up, jump on their Discord, grab one of their pre-configured installs of Tribes 1, and let the exploding frisbees loose!

Trenchbroom 2.1.0 is in RC3. New features in 2.1.0 include scale and shear tools, CSG hollowing, Quake 2 surface flags and, uh, Daikatana support. Make nice things with brushes, and tell Kristian what's hosed so he can un-gently caress it.

The recent anniversary of Half-Life led to people releasing things. A designer at Sucker Punch has put out an updated version of 2012's Year Long Alarm mapset for HL2 via Steam, and a remake for Black Mesa of the popular Azure Sheep mod has just released its demo.

Thief 1 is 20 years old this month too (lotta stuff turning 20 lately...), but it's kinda gotten lost on the crowd due to the Half-Life thing. It's really cheap on GOG and Steam and probably other online stores this weekend, too, due to the whole Black Friday thing. Probably better than some other recent options. Definitely cheaper, at any rate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I suspect that had more to do with cheaping out on the magazine printing...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Kins posted:

Bwooooooooooownnngggggggggg......tick

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

With proper thermodynamics simulation so if you keep trying to do it the effect gets weaker.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

PC Gamer posted:

There’s no way to sugarcoat this. Underworld Ascendant is phenomenally bad, a catastrophic mess of poor design ideas, woeful execution, and bugs the size of buildings.

:stare:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TOOT BOOT posted:

You're confusing totally different things.

It's obviously a mistype of "interlaced".

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Lambert posted:

It's obviously a mistype of "interlaced".
That's still a different thing :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Duke 3d World Tour is about £2.61 at Voidu using code BLACKFRIDAY.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Llamadeus posted:

That's still a different thing :v:

Progressive scan is literally noninterlaced scanning, it's not "a different thing".

But progressive scan was pretty much always the standard for computer monitors, way before the 2000s. It was only a new and pretty short lived thing for CRT TVs

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Lambert posted:

Progressive scan is literally noninterlaced scanning, it's not "a different thing".
It's a different thing from the subject being discussed, which was scanlines. Progressive scan on a CRT still has scanlines.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Llamadeus posted:

It's a different thing from the subject being discussed, which was scanlines. Progressive scan on a CRT still has scanlines.

Ah, you're right about that one. The higher resolution of computer monitors meant they were pretty much invisible, had nothing to do with them being progressive scan.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bwooooooooooownnngggggggggg......tick

This Username/avatar/post combo is killing me :haw:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I found that, so you can degauss your cellphone now:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fhconsulting.degausser&hl=en_US
I'm not going to vouch for it or install it on my phone, though. It's just what StartPage found for "degaussing simulator".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Worst part of that Underworld Ascendant review:

quote:

I’m genuinely interested to know what happened with this project, why it’s gone so horribly wrong. Not only because I’m a fan of Looking Glass’ work, but also because OtherSide are currently developing System Shock 3. If it’s anything like this, well, let's not think about that too much. Underworld Ascendant is simply terrible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wanna say the System Shock 3 team is a separate team in another state, headed up by Warren Spector... but given some of Spector's more recent work you should probably still be both alert and alarmed.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
As far as I'm aware SS3 also has an actual budget from investors, unlike Underworld Ascendant which had 600,000k to spread out over 4 years.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yeah Starbreeze invested in SS3

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Kins posted:

I wanna say the System Shock 3 team is a separate team in another state, headed up by Warren Spector... but given some of Spector's more recent work you should probably still be both alert and alarmed.

It's Ion Storm all over again.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ookiimarukochan posted:

That second screenshot is - IMO - typical of the people that fetishise CRT filters - they weren't around at the time and so don't realise that computer games, in particular, didn't look like that.
That's a photo of an actual CRT.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I hope Underworld Ascendant shapes up with a couple patches, I missed the Kickstarter but I've been interested in it since. Still have high hopes for SS3.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I played a bit of it but managed to crash it about 45 minutes in when I tried to interact with that flower or whatever it was and haven't picked it back up yet. Didn't seem horrible, yet.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Shadow Hog posted:

That's a photo of an actual CRT.

I wonder how did it took so long

Cat Mattress posted:

I found that, so you can degauss your cellphone now:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fhconsulting.degausser&hl=en_US
I'm not going to vouch for it or install it on my phone, though. It's just what StartPage found for "degaussing simulator".

Yeah I just tested it and to save everyone's time: it's crap

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 23, 2018

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Underworld Ascendant is pretty solid for a pre-alpha release. To say I'm disappointed in it is a heck of an understatement :/ You're better off replaying the original UW1/UW2 . Or for something more modern, Arx Fatalis, which nailed the Underworld stuff really well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Arx Fatalis is cool in concept, but is itself a buggy shitshow that took years of unofficial patchwork by fans to get to the relatively playable state it is in.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I really loved the feel of Arx Fatalis, but in my dedicated playthrough of it, i aggro’d the Sisters by exploring their area too early and probably destroyed the timeline. That, and I remember this one Akbaa priest praying in his looping animation and slowly sinking into the cave floor.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I bought Arx Fatalis on steam a while after it released and don't remember running into any issues. I was either lucky, or it was long enough for its major problems to be patched out. I loved it, and it had a lot of satisfying secrets to discover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just couldn't run Arx Fatalis both vanilla and with unofficial patch on my PC like 3 months ago (win10 x64). I could launch it but as soon as I started a game a black screen is the only thing I got with steam release.