Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

Spirtr and others on Q4t have been spending $800 + on original copies. That said, he also bought a couple of the Japanese editions which he's now apparently trying to auction on eBay for 400-600 bucks, so maybe he'll break even in this nutty book-fever environment?

I get that the original editions are undeniably cool, that image quality is far better than in the second printing, and contextually it can help by referencing the images in their original size as they were meant to be interpreted... but it's batshit crazy to think that owning an original copy will provide you with access to additional insight not available via the high res scanned images or in the text and other illustrations from the $20 reprint.

What are the dimensions of the original images? What are the dimensions of the original verses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

Someone mentioned that the "subject" of the paintings has something to do with the solves. The ethnicity of the Cleveland solve was that it was in the Greek gardens, and there was a centaur in the image.

I think Charleston obviously shows the lion and the African faerie, so the solve might have something to do with the slave trade in the city. Maybe it was buried near where the slave auctions used to be held?

That's, I think, the second-most explored area for this solve besides White Point Gardens.

For me, it's all a little too organized for a guy flying around digging holes and assembling a large-scale book. Preiss is a genius, but he really got confusing with indicating where the Cleveland dig was, as well as the Chicago dig, and the fact that no other dig site has been found (except New Orleans which I totally believe burnstyle found) shows that Preiss was just not that into precision.

So the notion that he linked up cultural theme with a cultural park feels just too specific for him: I think he just liked these parks because they were easy to dig in and had a lot of art. It's not like cask 12 has to be in a Russian-themed park in New York or the Houston Zoo is Arabian-themed.

For me, I think the biggest revelation this past year, even more than the Japan translation, is that "fence and fixture, central too" was an instruction to triangulate the halo fencepost with a nearby electrical fixture. When I have time I really want to look at some other found image matches to see if maybe people have been digging at the landmarks when they should be relating the landmarks together in some way.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

burnstyle posted:

Though I say that as a dude who spent $300 on a us copy... but it was a special copy.

By special copy, did you mean the Preiss signed copy that you mentioned before?
If so, nice grab. Something like that seems to be a far better way to spend $300.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Drunk Nerds posted:

Preiss is a genius

uh...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Have you brain geniuses solved it yet?

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Drunk Nerds posted:

What are the dimensions of the original images? What are the dimensions of the original verses?

jap= 4 and 1/4 x 6 1/2

us= 6 x 9

the original paintings vary wildly in size.

The japanese books are printed much more clearly though.

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 23, 2018

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

3M TA3 posted:

By special copy, did you mean the Preiss signed copy that you mentioned before?
If so, nice grab. Something like that seems to be a far better way to spend $300.

Nah, one of the old school searchers fell on hard times and really needed some cash, so I bought their book.
Eventually they will buy it back.

I should have said it was special to me, not really to anyone else.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know who owns the original paintings now? Lol, just lol if nobody’s x-rayed the originals and checked the backs for clues

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Have you brain geniuses solved it yet?

It's probably been solved for 5 years, it's just that no one wants to risk a fine digging it up.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Snowy posted:

Anyone know who owns the original paintings now? Lol, just lol if nobody’s x-rayed the originals and checked the backs for clues

Palencar still has
New Orleans, San Francisco, New York, Roanoke, Montreal, Cleveland, Boston

No one is sure where Chicago, St Augustine, Houston, Milwaukee, or Charleston are.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

burnstyle posted:

Nah, one of the old school searchers fell on hard times and really needed some cash, so I bought their book.
Eventually they will buy it back.

I should have said it was special to me, not really to anyone else.

Equally cool.

This hunt has its fair share of nut jobs and really good people as well.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

3M TA3 posted:

Equally cool.

This hunt has its fair share of nut jobs and really good people as well.

Sometimes we are both.

in fact.....

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 27, 2018

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

burnstyle posted:

Sometimes we are both.

in fact.....

You and your crew have done a great job with all of the new ways to consume this foolish treasure hunt. I’d say you guys fall into the really good people category more often than not.

** NO FELLATIO INTENDED**

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Xie, don't disappear for three years again! Tell us how you shattered your wrist pouring a cup of coffee and can't dig for another two years so you can come back after three more years in 2023 to have still not dug a hole in the ground.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
The two most insane people to ever join this hunt have found each other on the San Francisco Secret Facebook page... and it's glorious.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh that's where this thread went

I was just talking to a guy in SC who works for the SC state archaeologist and might theoretically be able to get permission to dig where-ever in White Point Gardens, if anyone can anyway.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was just talking to a guy in SC who works for the SC state archaeologist and might theoretically be able to get permission to dig where-ever in White Point Gardens, if anyone can anyway.

If your willing to hook me up with him I'd appreciate it. WPG is about the only place I dont have a good contact.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

The two most insane people to ever join this hunt have found each other on the San Francisco Secret Facebook page... and it's glorious.

Ugh... he wants me to dig up a place that was a retention pond in the 80s because people get married under trees

I poo poo you not. That is basically the reason.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

burnstyle posted:

Ugh... he wants me to dig up a place that was a retention pond in the 80s because people get married under trees

I poo poo you not. That is basically the reason.

I just caught up on the nearly 100 posts Josh wrote last night and today on the SF FB page -- he mentioned like three times that he had delegated responsibility for his infallible St. Augustine "solve" to YOU... and as you can see below... you're kinda letting him down:

He gave you the keys to the kingdom, man. Do not disappoint the master, Burnstyle!

But in all seriousness, reading Josh and Dale's back and forth is like witnessing a delusional, grammatically challenged supernova.
I hope it never ends.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 28, 2018

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

But in all seriousness, reading Josh and Dale's back and forth is like witnessing a delusional, grammatically challenged supernova.
I hope it never ends.

Almost the exact words that I would use to describe the ramblings on Q4T the last couple moths. Even POST Josh.
I think there is something seriously wrong with the current batch of hunters in SF.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

3M TA3 posted:

Almost the exact words that I would use to describe the ramblings on Q4T the last couple moths. Even POST Josh.
I think there is something seriously wrong with the current batch of hunters in SF.

The fact that SF is standing out as extra crazy in this sea of batshit is impressive.

Expedition Unknown is usually about aliens and bigfoot chasing, so it primarily drew in the kind of people who don't have the logical capabilities to rule out bigfoots. Yet, somehow SF is currently making the other 11 pages look tame, and one of those 11 pages recently had someone say, "I heard it's buried in a cemetary, somewhere."

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

burnstyle posted:

If your willing to hook me up with him I'd appreciate it. WPG is about the only place I dont have a good contact.

I'd give Burnstyle the info, because he really seems to know how to come off as normal and not abuse the privilege.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018
Boston has its crop of fruit too. Not as apparent on q4t, but they are here too. I had an argument today with a guy who believes that the supports of the Zakim bridge are the “Y” shape depicted in the palm of the woman in image 11.
I explained to him that the bridge was built in the early 2000’s, cost nearly a billion dollars more than expected, took years longer than expected and still has traffic completely hosed up to this day. There is/was no possible way that bridge could be shown in a book published in 1982.

His response was “ believe whatever you want”.

I do admit though, it does look a bit like the bridge support.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

What page is this from? I went the SF page and the podcast page (which is great if you haven't checked out the podcast yet https://www.facebook.com/shhhthesecretpodcast/)

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

3M TA3 posted:

100% agree. Hoping that unlike Josh, they'll tire soon and disappear when their electron scanning microscopes break.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 28, 2018

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

What page is this from? I went the SF page and the podcast page (which is great if you haven't checked out the podcast yet https://www.facebook.com/shhhthesecretpodcast/)

Drunk Nerds: Hoooo are you in for a treat! This SF secret page is separate from the one hosted by the Shhhh guys. Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1285391081604941/

BTW, on q4t last week you mentioned finding plexi and ceramic fragments somewhere that had recently seen significant renovation... I wasn't quite able to figure out what location you were referring to. My best guess was Senior Center?

Hieronymous Alloy: I second Drunk Nerd's request that you put Burnstyle together with your contact -- he's in the right region and he's just an all around good dude.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 28, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds: Hoooo are you in for a treat! This SF secret page is separate from the ones hosted by the Shhhh guys. Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1285391081604941/

BTW, on q4t last week you mentioned finding plexi and ceramic fragments somewhere that had recently seen significant renovation... I wasn't quite able to figure out what location you were referring to. My best guess was Senior Center?

Hieronymous Alloy: I second Drunk Nerd's request that you put Burnstyle together with your contact -- he's in the right region and he's just an all around good dude.

Right I went there and looked at all the posts from the last month, I must be doing something dumb, I'll figure it out soon enough.

Yes, senior center. Let me get off my rear end and share 3 photos that I've been sitting on for months.

They painted the flagpole base an ugly brown that's thick enough to distort (my perceived) match between the "tongue" base and ripple above it and the window in the painting & wavy rocks above it.
(here's what I saw pre-paint job)

It's particularly the column at the top of the tongue and the ridges on the left I see... here's my lovely attempt to highlight it:

Also, while we're on the subject of lack of new media resources when the book came out... why did anyone ever think copies would sell in Japan? The only answer I've received is "they could point out where it is using the clause in the book that says if you say where it is but can't get there it's okay." But how would they be able to find any kind of photo or depiction of the exact location. This still baffles me.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 29, 2018

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

Right I went there and looked at all the posts from the last month, I must be doing something dumb, I'll figure it out soon enough.

Yes, senior center. Let me get off my rear end and share 3 photos that I've been sitting on for months.

They painted the flagpole base an ugly brown that's thick enough to distort (my perceived) match between the "tongue" base and ripple above it and the window in the painting & wavy rocks above it.
(here's what I saw pre-paint job)

Also, while we're on the subject of lack of new media resources when the book came out... why did anyone ever think copies would sell in Japan? The only answer I've received is "they could point out where it is using the clause in the book that says if you say where it is but can't get there it's okay." But how would they be able to find any kind of photo or depiction of the exact location. This still baffles me.

That's interesting about the ceramic -- if you haven't already, have you thought of talking to Burnstyle about comparing fragments? Or you could ask Josh... in his spectacular FB tirade last night he claims either Rob (Chicago) or Brian (Cleveland) gave him a fragment of their casques (which I have a very hard time believing... shocker!)

My theory on the Japanese release: it was likely a publishing clause. The imprint may have been contractually required to publish a certain number of Japanese translations a year and as a trade paperback this would have been a great candidate. Also the translator at some point mentioned that he had worked with BP before. It probably had nothing to do with the idea that anyone in Japan would take a real crack at it... which is possibly why BP felt a little more loosey goosey with expanding on his hints. I could be totally wrong about that -- just my two cents.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 29, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Interesting. I bet you're right. Preiss had decent sense for book sales, he had to have wondered why Japanese would buy it, iirc Masquerade ddn't even sell great in Asia and it infected Europe.

Yes, we went to the nearest bar after finding all that plexi and clay and started talking to burnstyle. I mailed some to him, he said it's not the same, oh well. However, he said the pieces I sent him were from different types of clay, so I encourage anyone local to go to the center and kick around in the dirt. Only took us a minute or two to find ~5 one-inch pieces

Also, can't believe I haven't shared this with SA yet:

:siren:Someone has made a new The Secret treasure hunt:siren:

JM, who does the podcast with Burnstyle, did it. Check out this effort:

- He contacted the original sculptor, who still had the original casque, and obtained it.Had her paint the whole thing, too (the 12 buried casques each had just one figure painted)

- He contacted the original artist's son, who is also an artist, and commissioned a painting.

- He made a super-stout box, hoping to avoid the issues with the original 12 (bulldozers pulverize them, they kinda lose their shape with years of water exposure, etc.)

- He tours the nation as a sound guy for some major bands, so it could be anywhere.

- The prize is a pink tourmaline, which I'd never heard of but is a gem worth ~$1,500. Other Secret fans have chipped in some silver bars and some gold stuff worth a few hundo

As soon as the painting's done, he's gonna drop the details. Originally said February 14, but recently stated the artist may be done sooner.

I think he plans to release it for free. If he does, I hope he has a charity picked out I can donate to show appreciation.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 29, 2018

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

As soon as the painting's done, he's gonna drop the details. Originally said February 14, but recently stated the artist may be done sooner.

Oof -- I hate to break it to you but Dale and Josh formed a super group and already found the 13th... AND 14th casques!

I mean... *technically* they didn't dig up anything so they don't actually"have" any casques "per se"

... but do such minor details really matter when genius is at play?

(But for realz, it's a very cool tribute to the hunt -- looking forward to Kit's painting and the verse)

Here are a few pics of the 13th casque:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Please don't encourage the delusional inmates in this thread.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Please don't encourage the delusional inmates in this thread.

We're probably delusional, but what's amazing is we're literally the only part of the public Internet not overrun by people 10x as crazy as we are. This hunt is as much about the mental illness tourism as it is about finding 40-year-old casque coffins.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I'm still not seeing this on the SF page, I think it's all been deleted? For instance, when I search by "new replies" I see a bunch of people responding mentioning Josh Cornell, but no posts by Cornell.

Hmmm... maybe I've blocked him and Dale... That fits, but it's so unlike me

Edit: Yup, had Cornell blocked. WTF, drunknerds, harden up... but now I can't see any posts from Dale huh

Edit edit: THERE IT IS... ahhh, shooting it into my veins rn

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 29, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

What's so aggravating, and the reason I hide out here and don't venture into FB or Q4T much anymore, is that these people miss step 1: Is this how you actually solve a puzzle?

No popular puzzle in history is solved in such an abstract manner. No one does crossword puzzles, or clue-by-clue trasure hunts, or Sam Loyd's genius-but-unfortunately-racist Cyclopedia like this. No sudoku is solved by saying "oh, there's a 2... and 2 is one plus one. Two ones together is 11, which rhymes with 7... A seven goes next to the 2!"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

3M TA3 posted:

His response was “ believe whatever you want”.

I can't decide whether it's insanity or newness to the Internet that prompts all these "comebacks" I saw in 1998, like "haha I was just being an idiot to show how you guys are bad," "all these old people are in a clique to drive out our new theories," and the classic, "well, that's just, like, your opinion, man!"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Change thread title to "Let's solve a 36 year old unsolved treasure hunt!"

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit: Yup, had Cornell blocked. WTF, drunknerds, harden up... but now I can't see any posts from Dale huh

Edit edit: THERE IT IS... ahhh, shooting it into my veins rn

Dale and Josh are each wildly delusional, yet at the same time they represent two completely different kinds of loco drugs:

-- Josh is straight up street corner speed-- let him ramble on long enough you'll notice he pissed his pants out of excitement over his brilliance.

-- Ol' Dale on the other hand, is pure grade uncut heroin, straight to the vein -- his kind of crazy would kill most humans, but Dale IS the dragon.

For example: while Josh literally posted sixty times in that thread, while arguing entirely with himself, Dale posted TWICE... yet he managed to convey the same stunning disconnect from reality -- that man has the skilz:

It's funny -- I remain a firm believer that Josh's relentless flood of posts would kill Q4T, yet I derive joy from watching his meltdowns on FB (I think because I know the FB moderator is on the ball -- I've seen him delete swaths of 100s of Cornell's posts after a rant)

"is your area in the painting with triple reinforcement? no? wrong spot then bro" -- Josh "Anus 905" Cornell

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 29, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This is all so loving fascinating for me to watch from the outside.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

The fact that SF is standing out as extra crazy in this sea of batshit is impressive.

Expedition Unknown is usually about aliens and bigfoot chasing, so it primarily drew in the kind of people who don't have the logical capabilities to rule out bigfoots. Yet, somehow SF is currently making the other 11 pages look tame, and one of those 11 pages recently had someone say, "I heard it's buried in a cemetary, somewhere."

This will not end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
IIRC, Dale literally "solved" all the puzzles while on severe painkillers from a broken back. So your personification is super accurate