Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it is an injustice the terribly optimized :nah: is an actual sa emoticon and that one isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol if you data mine in order to deny the genderqueer status of a video game character

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Residual Toast posted:

minor ending spoiler/question/theory

So is Chara-Kris the one drinking the milk in the alley after eating pies at night?

The milk was drank by someone who doesn't think three glasses of milk for a meal is strange.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

notoriousman posted:

The milk was drank by someone who doesn't think three glasses of milk for a meal is strange.

Please don’t doxx me.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, gently caress, this just hit me:

Frisk, Chara, and Kris can all be safely assumed to be nonbinary, right? But it's been pointed out, and I think correctly, that Kris's sprite reads as older and much less androgynous than Frisk or Chara's sprites. Indeed, Kris's name even tends to get people thinking "masculine" (although it is not a strictly male name in real life).

Now... doesn't that just fit perfectly into Kris's entire existence? :smith: In contrast to the lighter, more fantasy-focused Undertale story, Kris's life is full of very real and very awful psychological issues. Gender dysphoria caused by puberty would fit right in with their other problems.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

21 Muns posted:

Frisk, Chara, and Kris can all be safely assumed to be nonbinary, right? But it's been pointed out, and I think correctly, that Kris's sprite reads as older and much less androgynous than Frisk or Chara's sprites. Indeed, Kris's name even tends to get people thinking "masculine" (although it is not a strictly male name in real life).

Now... doesn't that just fit perfectly into Kris's entire existence? :smith: In contrast to the lighter, more fantasy-focused Undertale story, Kris's life is full of very real and very awful psychological issues. Gender dysphoria caused by puberty would fit right in with their other problems.

That would be interesting but I really doubt we're going to get gender issues in Deltarune. It's too divisive.
(also, seriously, you're supposed to be able to think of them as any gender, IIRC toby outright stated Frisk is whatever gender the player wants them to be and that should apply to Frisk and Chara too)
(though I guess that would throw a wrench in the theory of Ralsei being Kris's fursona)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah honestly assuming Frisk or Chara are explicitly nonbinary is actively missing the point of what Toby was going for

They can be NB, but they can also be male, or they can also be female, it's all 150% up to the player's brain

Kris is a little more up in the air simply because we don't have all of Deltarune available yet

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah honestly assuming Frisk or Chara are explicitly nonbinary is actively missing the point of what Toby was going for

They can be NB, but they can also be male, or they can also be female, it's all 150% up to the player's brain

Kris is a little more up in the air simply because we don't have all of Deltarune available yet

That's not true, because the point of them is that they aren't you. They're their own characters. The games make a pretty big deal of that, so they pretty much are NB.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Come to think of it "You don't get to choose who you are in this world" could also refer to Kris having a canon gender this time around... The exclusive use of "they" could just be because Kris decided not to tell anyone their gender because they think it's funny.

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's not true, because the point of them is that they aren't you. They're their own characters. The games make a pretty big deal of that, so they pretty much are NB.

Through 90% of Undertale you're made to think that Frisk's name is the name you chose for the Fallen Child. You are supposed to identify with them as if they are a player avatar, until the reveal. And then Chara actually has the name you picked, and represents your urge to powergame and/or complete everything in a game, so they ARE you in a way.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 23, 2018

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

:rolleyes:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Might be a bit silly but in the back of my mind I wonder how the net would react if Deltarune was played straight in its plot

Undertale was the story of a young lad or lass trying to get home without hurting anyone, and helping their new buddies along the way.
Deltarune is about saving the planet from ripping itself to shreds and stopping BIG HEAVEN FALL KILL or whatever it's called. What if he wanted to tell a more classic video game story and it's not some abstract metaphor, story about self harm, or whatever the fandom thinks currently.

I don't doubt the characters will have some growth or whatever but taking Ralsei's story at face value I feel that whole "world exploding" part gets overlooked in all the relationship and shipping talk :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 23, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Might be a bit silly but in the back of my mind I wonder how the net would react if Deltarune was played straight in its plot

Undertale was the story of a young lad or lass trying to get home without hurting anyone, and helping their new buddies along the way.
Deltarune is about saving the planet from ripping itself to shreds and stopping BIG HEAVEN FALL KILL or whatever it's called. What if he wanted to tell a more classic video game story and it's not some abstract metaphor, story about self harm, or whatever the fandom thinks currently.

I don't doubt the characters will have some growth or whatever but taking Ralsei's story at face value I feel that whole "world exploding" part gets overlooked in all the relationship and shipping talk :v:

even by the end of the demo it's shown that Ralsei doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does (albeit in a pretty benign way, the little squirt's just too nice for his own good) so it throws his prophecy into serious question

my guess is there is some actual Bad Stuff brewing even in the "real world" between Ralsei's prophecy and Jevil's ominous proclamation that "hell's roar bubbles from the depths" but it's tied somehow into the growing tensions within Hometown and in Kris' life especially

so, basically Persona

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

even by the end of the demo it's shown that Ralsei doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does (albeit in a pretty benign way, the little squirt's just too nice for his own good) so it throws his prophecy into serious question

my guess is there is some actual Bad Stuff brewing even in the "real world" between Ralsei's prophecy and Jevil's ominous proclamation that "hell's roar bubbles from the depths" but it's tied somehow into the growing tensions within Hometown and in Kris' life especially

so, basically Persona

Undertale But Actually Persona would be a pretty cool game imo

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The battle music also has an extremely Persona sound to it so I can totally believe it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Undertale But Actually Persona would be a pretty cool game imo

Noelle and Berdly were definitely given enough passing focus in Chapter 1 to seemingly qualify as future party members in subsequent chapters. I can easily see the beginnings of a Persona 4 style Scoobie Gang in Kris’s immediate circle of friends people they know. Noelle’s Dark World arc is already clearly laid out in coming to grips with her father dying and confessing her feelings for Susie, and I’m practically salivating at the possibility of seeing Berdly get knocked down a few billion pegs and coming out the other side a better person for it like Susie did.

Now to wait 7 years and see if my creative outpaces Toby’s...

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nine-gear crow posted:

Noelle and Berdly were definitely given enough passing focus in Chapter 1 to seemingly qualify as future party members in subsequent chapters. I can easily see the beginnings of a Persona 4 style Scoobie Gang in Kris’s immediate circle of friends people they know. Noelle’s Dark World arc is already clearly laid out in coming to grips with her father dying and confessing her feelings for Susie, and I’m practically salivating at the possibility of seeing Berdly get knocked down a few billion pegs and coming out the other side a better person for it like Susie did.

Now to wait 7 years and see if my creative outpaces Toby’s...

I think Catti and Jockington will show up too. Otherwise it's kind of nonsensical that they'd get a dialogue portrait before noted returning character Monster Teen does. However, I highly doubt a group so codependent and comparatively minor will go in separately. I'm betting on them joining the party as a group character, maybe with Mario and Luigi style team attacks for their spells.

To explain why they share a health bar, Jockington is the only one who takes damage. Once he's KO'd, Catti sighs and takes out her phone, tuning out of the fight.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
So i am thinking about the balance of light and dark (fountain). What quantify the light side? Probably Angel’s Heaven (fountain) in the prophecy that we suppose to take down.

Another serious dilemma from the balance: If there can only be one of each fountain, that means we have to choose between the Lonely Kingdom of Raisel or Card Kingdom of Lancer. A choice we might have to make in the end. Lancer’s dad said they will be banish back into the shadow realm.

It’s likely we can’t have multiple fountain because Angel’s Heaven itself will wipe the land into desert or something catastrophic according to the prophecy.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 23, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nyaa posted:

So i am thinking about the balance of light and dark (fountain). What quantify the light side? Probably Angel’s Heaven (fountain) in the prophecy that we suppose to take down.

Another serious dilemma from the balance: If there can only be one of each fountain, that means we have to choose between the Lonely Kingdom of Raisel or Card Kingdom of Lancer. A choice we might have to make in the end. Lancer’s dad said they will be banish back into the shadow realm.

It’s likely we can’t have multiple fountain because Angel’s Heaven itself will wipe the land into desert or something catastrophic according to the prophecy.

The solution is clear, Delta Rune goes full JRPG and we kill God/Angel's Heaven.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ijyt posted:

The battle music also has an extremely Persona sound to it so I can totally believe it.

I got a real Breath of Fire vibe from it, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vO4oOmVazQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRVuXYmB1M

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The breath of fire 3 theme was absolutely the first thing it reminded me of, yeah.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

21 Muns posted:

Originally I had considered Kris to be male, because of the theory that Ralsei is their idealised self, and Ralsei is a Prince. But on reflection, that was a total assumption on my part. Their idealised self could be of a different gender/sex then they are.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

‘They’ also uses to refer to more than one people.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

Samovar posted:

Originally I had considered Kris to be male, because of the theory that Ralsei is their idealised self, and Ralsei is a Prince. But on reflection, that was a total assumption on my part. Their idealised self could be of a different gender/sex then they are.

Yeah, could be that Kris' unhealthy idealization and desire to be Totally Like Asriel included/overlapped with complicated gender feelings, especially since the horn thing happened when they were pretty young and still sorting out a lot of stuff. Ralsei clearly isn't purely Kris but sweeter and a monster, too, just as the various playing card monsters have attributes beyond "is a playing card". Ralsei being a boy and Kris not being a boy doesn't rule out the theory.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/doreenchartroos/status/1066018504644722688

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You know, just had a thought based off the Japanese script making it sound like Gaster vs Chara *is* actually a thing (the intro and all)

What if Kris just kind of... fucks off? Like he's gone. The body you made in the intro is thrown onto the floor and becomes a literal vessel for you, the players SOUL to enter and you kind of take Kris's place. Kris possessed becoming a villain of sorts.

Few extra thoughts hit about how folks want Noelle to be a party member and was thinking about how Kris's swords are just pencils in the real world. (A Halloween Pencil is the Spooky Sword) so what if you bring Noelle in and well, she does have 2 pencils that she can offer to give you (a christmas one!) So you're all good on that front. Hell it could be the first flat out example of "No your choices matter" because you get to pick which one you want- even if its cosmetic.

Just a couple things I thought might be interesting, though I know a small handful of people don't like the whole Gaster vs Chara angle (I'm not *that* crazy about it either)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 23, 2018

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You could say the same for Frisk who trip and died from the long fall, and chara possesses the body with Frisk’s soul inside.

Noelle offered to go with Suzie to get the chulk, and would had become a party character. I am betting plot twist with her representating angel light side.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm going to laugh if the full version comes out and Chara doesn't come into play at all. Not even once. It just so happens that Kris likes acting really creepy and spooky without any sort of extradimensional evil making them do it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haifisch posted:

I'm going to laugh if the full version comes out and Chara doesn't come into play at all. Not even once. It just so happens that Kris likes acting really creepy and spooky without any sort of extradimensional evil making them do it.

This would also own.

Also Kris becoming a antagonist would explain why Toby had drafted talking portraits with the glow eye thing. Could just say it's a character design thing but makes u think
for a few minutes maybe

E: Thinking of a TTYD situation where Susie and Ralsei go on team Kris because they have no idea who the hell you are while you're with Team Noelle and uh... the snake

Snake is allowed

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 23, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Haifisch posted:

pretty much everything involving Chara was by far my least favorite part of Undertale and the discourse thereof, so :same:

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 23, 2018

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Nyaa posted:

Noelle offered to go with Suzie to get the chulk, and would had become a party character. I am betting plot twist with her representating angel light side.

Chapter 2 comes out, Kris and Susie end up in the dark world, and a princess with reindeer horns needs saving. Cue Kris and Susie racing to see who saves her first.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Haifisch posted:

I mean Kris hides under people's beds to scare them and squirts ketchup all over themselves and say its blood. Also they dump bathbombs in the toilet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

skaianDestiny posted:

I mean Kris hides under people's beds to scare them and squirts ketchup all over themselves and say its blood. Also they dump bathbombs in the toilet.
And that knife at the end is because they are going to eat all the pie, but wanted to freak out the player too.

Pie theory is real.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Haifisch posted:

And that knife at the end is because they are going to eat all the pie, but wanted to freak out the player too.

Pie theory is real.
It won't go down without a fight though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I want the teen temmie in my party

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Was it only me who thought Roulx Kaard's 'it controls any disc shaped lifeform' description was oddly specific?

pie theory is real

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

There’s a very good reason why kris/chara is super pissed in the end: i would too if i am forced to eat moss

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nyaa posted:

There’s a very good reason why kris/chara is super pissed in the end: i would too if i am forced to eat moss

Look it's not my fault the text was weirdly worded and had no idea what I was agreeing to.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pie theory save me from this "Gaster vs. Chara epic battle" hell

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Haifisch posted:

That bit at the end with Kris and throwing their heart into the cage? Why, that's just chuuni mode activating

Also I love/hate your avatar