Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I thought the point was they lived in kind of the lovely area of the city, but its been a while so I don't exactly remember. It wasn't crackho avenue or anything, i remember that much.

Even then, try to imagine what an place like that like that would have gone for in the early '00s, and if two guys who did ????? and a girl who did hippie massages could afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I dunno, I think the MTV episode established it was a less than desirable neighborhood, since they were worried about it being on TV and blowing up.
And I think at least it looked like Jim had a pretty well paying job, and he did manage to get Andy hired there. Though yeah, I doubt Posey is paying for much there

Though I'm sure if they updated the show to modern times Mission Hill would almost certainly be a gentrified neighborhood full of Starbucks and shiplap clad organic restaurants.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

To be fair they also didn't have to worry about mobile and internet and some other commodities. That's at least a thousand or two out of the year between the group. Still, an apartment that was like mostly window space sounds like hell in terms of rent and heating.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I recall the commentary for SPACED saying one of the biggest laughs when they first screened it was showing how cheap the lovely little flat they live in cost to rent. Fair play to them for even trying to justify how a comic nerd and a "writer" could afford it, like.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Simpsons’ house is also a total dump, and they live extremely frugally (at least in the canon) and they completely forgo the most basic maintenance. I think in one episode they showed Homer’s paycheck in the early 90s and it was like $470 a week. Then again that was the early 90s and you could probably get a dump house for like $300 a month and then the rest could be spent on food and utilities.

Also, as a former resident of Springfield, Oregon's sister-city, I can tell you that indeed the real life Springfield is indeed a dump and super cheap to live in, except these days it’s full of methheads and MAGA chuds.

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 22, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plan Z posted:

To be fair they also didn't have to worry about mobile and internet and some other commodities. That's at least a thousand or two out of the year between the group. Still, an apartment that was like mostly window space sounds like hell in terms of rent and heating.

Again though, when the factory/warehouse -> loft conversion phenomenon was in full swing (90s-2000s), the whole point of lofts was cheap rent. They were in the lovely part of town; it’s the (former) industrial area. The windows are hardly an amenity, they’re great big factory type ventilation windows and probably papered/painted over or something, and it’s not like they have a great view anyway. I visited artist friends from time to time in LA and the Bay Area who may as well have been plucked straight from the show, filling the floor space with paintings and sculptures and stuff; what it was portraying was a widespread almost cliche urban environment for the time.

Apparently (from what I’m reading) lofts like that barely exist anymore because they skyrocketed in desirability very quickly, and now new buildings get built specifically to mimic cool old lofts except with luxury amenities, as was said upthread. They’re as ridiculously expensive now as you’d expect; but the old style ones were definitely an attractive and realistic choice for a bunch of struggling 20-somethings, and for the time the show was depicting something that was “ripped from the headlines” even if now it seems hardly plausible.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Springfield, Oregon [...] the real life Springfield

I choose to believe it's Springfield, Ohio. Based on the subtle hints I've archived in my trapper-keeper over the years. :tinfoil:

Also Mission Hill was the best show, and it's a shame it had so few episodes.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Hrist posted:

I choose to believe it's Springfield, Ohio. Based on the subtle hints I've archived in my trapper-keeper over the years. :tinfoil:

Also Mission Hill was the best show, and it's a shame it had so few episodes.

nah

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9197180/The-Simpsons-creator-Matt-Groening-reveals-Springfield-Oregon-is-his-inspiration.html

Yeardley Smith actually married a guy from Springfield Oregon even

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 22, 2018

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

isn't this super out of character given the episode "homer's phobia"?

Homer likes gays now since the episode where he broke up with Marge and moved in with two gay roommates.

I’m surprised to see it was only season 14. I remembered it as being way later than that. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Gays_of_the_Condo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i thought they actually mentioned in the 138th episode that springfield was in michigan, but i could be misremembering it since i haven't seen the episode since it aired

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

The Simpsons’ house is also a total dump, and they live extremely frugally (at least in the canon) and they completely forgo the most basic maintenance. I think in one episode they showed Homer’s paycheck in the early 90s and it was like $470 a week. Then again that was the early 90s and you could probably get a dump house for like $300 a month and then the rest could be spent on food and utilities.

Also, as a former resident of Springfield, Oregon's sister-city, I can tell you that indeed the real life Springfield is indeed a dump and super cheap to live in, except these days it’s full of methheads and MAGA chuds.

the Simpson's house is actually pretty huge, and it never really made sense how Homer could afford it, but it still was a cartoon. Grimey said it best "this place is a palace". also, Homer is a NUCLEAR SAFETY INSPECTOR, why were they always harping about money? at the same time they are supposed to be poor but that's not the worst job in the world at all.

also lol grandpa would have never been able to stay in that retirement home

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah I dunno if it was part of the joke or what that he had a very non-blue collar job yet was still poor. My friend's dad had that job and they were definitely not hurting for cash.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Grampa sold his house and gave Homer the money to buy his own. Homer put him in a home about three weeks later.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

i thought they actually mentioned in the 138th episode that springfield was in michigan, but i could be misremembering it since i haven't seen the episode since it aired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DHyimmSCY

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

the Simpson's house is actually pretty huge, and it never really made sense how Homer could afford it, but it still was a cartoon. Grimey said it best "this place is a palace". also, Homer is a NUCLEAR SAFETY INSPECTOR, why were they always harping about money? at the same time they are supposed to be poor but that's not the worst job in the world at all.

also lol grandpa would have never been able to stay in that retirement home

In various episode commentaries, the writers mention that the family struggles with money, but the severity of their poverty fluctuates depending on the specific episode's needs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It makes more sense if you remember that Marge isn't employed. So between the mortgage on a huge house and the stupid poo poo Homer canonically tends to waste his disposable income on, I guess I can see it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also Homer's propensity to take huge vacations from work constantly, and also they have 3 kids with expensive hobbies like playing an instrument

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Simpsons are (were?) written to be relatable regardless of your economic status.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 22, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I think Frank Grimes called it out perfectly. The show constantly craps on them for being destitute but if you really add it all up on paper, their lives are pretty great.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In any other country in the world you’d have starved long ago

He’s got you there dad

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Laslow posted:

I think Frank Grimes called it out perfectly. The show constantly craps on them for being destitute but if you really add it all up on paper, their lives are pretty great.

I was old enough to finally start releasing that when that episode aired so I immediately loved it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

YeahTubaMike posted:

q
IIRC the 138th had a couple different versions of that line that line and each had a different state.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it’s a state with a tire fire , a desert gorge , a snowy mountain , sometimes the ocean is really close and sometimes Canada , nothing matters

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
It’s just a regular coastal frontier town, like countless others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure one of the teen seasons canonized that Springfield was located in the state of North Tacoma.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Improbable Lobster posted:

q
IIRC the 138th had a couple different versions of that line that line and each had a different state.

It was the behind the laughter episode. I've only seen the version that says northern Kentucky

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 23, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s in the state of Ohimaude

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bust Rodd posted:

Also Homer's propensity to take huge vacations from work constantly, and also they have 3 kids with expensive hobbies like playing an instrument

Bart scores $TWELVE BUCKS$ for donating plasma, that's a lot of Squishees... which... I assume are still sold in Springfield?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a later episode where Homer throw a Mardi Gras party at great expense and it's revealed they're in crazy debt and that's how their lifestyle is funded.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, it's a show, so the Simpson family has exactly as much money as they need to advance the plot, but I always thought they were basically supposed to be living on a middle class income, but Homer is so terrible with money that they basically have to scrape by. I think at some point they say that Flanders only earns like $20 more a week than Homer does, but he's not saddled with debt and doesn't blow it all on beer or whatever other impulses Homer does, so he can live better.

As they describe themselves, an upper-lower-middle class family indeed :v:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Improbable Lobster posted:

q

huh, that's smart of them

and of course now that i see a post that says northern kentucky, northern kentucky seems kind of familiar

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
that was Behind The Laughter so it means the actors who play The Simpsons are from Kentucky, not that The Simpsons the characters are from Kentucky

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

womb with a view posted:

Yeah I dunno if it was part of the joke or what that he had a very non-blue collar job yet was still poor. My friend's dad had that job and they were definitely not hurting for cash.

But was his boss Mr. Burns?

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdX5UDgQ8x0

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

THE BAR posted:

It’s KURNS, stupid!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

:V

I'm just saying that he might not be paid as well as his job warranted.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

the entire joke is that burns is a penny-pinching scrooge that cuts corners constantly and doesn't give a gently caress about worker safety, so he hires someone completely unqualified and pays him a pittance

they've been telling this joke for 30 years

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but Homer has prevented at least 2 meltdowns in the first twelve seasons, so he's at least doing his job

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

But caused three and one china syndrome.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I still don't get why the power plant has an elevator stop that lets you get out halfway up the smokestack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just want to say the episode with the whale is loving awful