Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i mean, not to defend nosql in general and in particular not in the popular specifics, but replacing b-trees with flat vectors (column databases) or hashmaps (most popular nosql things) has different tradeoffs which are often useful. notably if your range scans are the most important bit you may be better served by column databases (though you do lose out on the insertion order being something that can be controlled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i work for an enterprise nosql company and have debated starting a nosql thread for either here or the grey forums because so many people still have no clue what it is just like the posters here are doing now

all nosql ultimately means is that it’s not sql, ie: it’s not storing data in tables rows and columns. beyond that they all work differently and the particular nosql tech you choose should be driven by your specific need

the four big ones are:

key-value stores, which are basically very fancy hash maps

column-base store, which is sort of like an upside down row-based db that takes a bit to explain but has advantages sometimes

document-based, this is mongodb and what a lot of people think of when they hear nosql. it basically stores data as entire xml/json documents instead of a series of rows across many tables

graph, basically all data is a giant graph of nodes connected to other nodes via ‘relationships’ or ‘predicates’. this one is the most rare because the use cases where it’s actually helpful are narrow and the tech is genuinely pretty difficult to work with. it’s crazy powerful for those few niche cases though and if you can sling sparql you can make fat $$$ stacks

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

why do you need DBs when you have multiplayer excel now?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Charun posted:

save millions in oracle licenses with this one weird trick larry hates him!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

i work for an enterprise nosql company and have debated starting a nosql thread for either here or the grey forums because so many people still have no clue what it is just like the posters here are doing now

Do it, you dirty bitch. Talk nosql to me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Charun posted:

i hate you

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

all nosql ultimately means is that it’s not sql, ie: it’s not storing data in tables rows and columns. beyond that they all work differently and the particular nosql tech you choose should be driven by your specific need

the four big ones are:

column-base store, which is sort of like an upside down row-based db that takes a bit to explain but has advantages sometimes

document-based, this is mongodb and what a lot of people think of when they hear nosql. it basically stores data as entire xml/json documents instead of a series of rows across many tables

graph, basically all data is a giant graph of nodes connected to other nodes via ‘relationships’ or ‘predicates’. this one is the most rare because the use cases where it’s actually helpful are narrow and the tech is genuinely pretty difficult to work with. it’s crazy powerful for those few niche cases though and if you can sling sparql you can make fat $$$ stacks

u talking triple store then? is there one I can load 100 billion triples in and get, idk , 10-100 million traversals per second out of

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

u talking triple store then? is there one I can load 100 billion triples in and get, idk , 10-100 million traversals per second out of

yeah triple store and i have no clue what kind of numbers dedicated graph dbs are capable of i’ve never worked with any of them

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah triple store and i have no clue what kind of numbers dedicated graph dbs are capable of i’ve never worked with any of them

if anyone knows, they’re not telling. cynical shoulder demon says it’s because a 3-column postgres table has better numbers

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

does mongodb still have no password by default? can't stop thinking bout all those public instances listening on 0.0.0.0 with no password :allears:

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 22, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Don't column based stores use SQL?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Charun posted:

all_customer_data(1)_final(1)_backup.xlsx

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pile Of Garbage posted:

does mongodb still have no password by default? can't stop thinking bout all those public instances listening on 0.0.0.0 with no password :allears:

afaik this is still default behavior, yeah

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

Don't column based stores use SQL?

i dont understand their uses in practice but ive had them thrown at me often enough that i ended up reading the docs and no, best i saw was failure to get even to sql:2003

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Speaking of databases does mssql have anything like redis to store non tabular data. Like a key and value

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Speaking of databases does mssql have anything like redis to store non tabular data. Like a key and value

do you mean like a column name and then subsequent values underneath?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

do you mean like a column name and then subsequent values underneath?

can you use it with a distributed map reduce function in erlang?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

I think they recommend cosmosdb or redis for that kind of thing. if it’s important data you code it properly in regular tables in mssql

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah I mean that’s what I do now, it’s a table with a constrained and unique column so there can never be more than one row. It’s just lovely and hacky when you want to store 2-3 single values

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
never go on redis

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

yeah I mean that’s what I do now, it’s a table with a constrained and unique column so there can never be more than one row. It’s just lovely and hacky when you want to store 2-3 single values

its fine.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

nekko make the db thunderdome thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
your database is a piece of poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

never go on redis

why not?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Rex-Goliath posted:

the four big ones are:

note that microsoft sql server supports all four of those, and does so using t-sql.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

I think they recommend cosmosdb or redis for that kind of thing. if it’s important data you code it properly in regular tables in mssql

cosmodb: for when all the money in the world just isn’t enough

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

because redis sounds like reddit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

20 minutes, I have had windows installed for 20 minutes on this spare hard drive entirely so I can play battlefield 5

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1065901845246353408

WHAT

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

20 minutes, I have had windows installed for 20 minutes on this spare hard drive entirely so I can play battlefield 5

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1065901845246353408

WHAT

people complain when the error messages are vague and they complain when theyre specific but a really dumb reason WHICH DO YOU WANT?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Guess the army didn't want you.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

why does MS even bother offering mssql when access and excel are the perfect database solution/???

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fiedler posted:

note that microsoft sql server supports all four of those, and does so using t-sql.

The graph support is a little limited but yeah sql server is incredible

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Most "big data" solutions got be implemented far more cheaply by just buying a bigger server and sticking sql server on it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"buying a bigger server and sticking sql server on it" isn't very buzzwordy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Fiedler posted:

i’m aware but the fact i’ve never even run into a client threatening to switch to it or even any sales material on how to address it if they come up during a sale tells me
it probably isn’t that performant. idk though i’ve never worked with it. their documentation comes up a lot any time i’m googling xquery stuff

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

"buying a bigger server and sticking sql server on it" isn't very buzzwordy

what if cloud?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fairly certain that you could spin stored procs as being "serverless" somehow (you just define your function and a schedule in ssms and bam! done. No nasty deployment or anything)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Chris Knight posted:

what if cloud?

okay, i'm opening my wallet a little

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m aware but the fact i’ve never even run into a client threatening to switch to it or even any sales material on how to address it if they come up during a sale tells me
it probably isn’t that performant. idk though i’ve never worked with it. their documentation comes up a lot any time i’m googling xquery stuff

yes i'm sure your customers make lots of bad decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

The graph support is a little limited but yeah sql server is incredible

never support graph imo