Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Savage Cracker posted:

Danish politics are a trainwreck all the time

More like trains running on time, figuratively speaking.

Anyway, GHETTOPLANEN just passed with votes from S and SF. Legal apartheid is now a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What's ghettoplanen?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

“Sonderingsuppdraget” would make a good name for a prog rock band

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

What's ghettoplanen?
In short:

- Harsher sentences in certain ("immigrant" heavy) zones
- Way more state control in ghettos
- Reduced welfare for people moving into ghettos
- Various measures to encourage the destruction of public housing

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

what?

Seriously Denmark? I mean, this is crossing the boundary of just being the shittiest in Scandinavia and getting up there as amongst the shittiest in the entire developed world.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 22, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's been a steady race to the bottom for Denmark for a long while now.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Denmark has always been the Florida of Scandinavia. Where's that gif...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Denmark has always been the Florida of Scandinavia. Where's that gif...

Yes. But now they're hurtling towards being the Florida of Europe.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Randarkman posted:

What's ghettoplanen?
I love when I can figure out what something is by cheating through cognates.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In short:

- Harsher sentences in certain ("immigrant" heavy) zones
- Way more state control in ghettos
- Reduced welfare for people moving into ghettos
- Various measures to encourage the destruction of public housing
As an American I am missing some context on what exactly they're trying to do here. The south side of my city is called Little Bosnia. Nobody forced the Bosnian refugees to live there, they just settled a lovely part of town, built their own coffee shops, mosques, restaurants, insurance companies, and so on, and now it's safer to walk the streets there than it used to be as long as you avoid Bosnian Baba Yaga. Is that the sort of thing they consider a ghetto? How does the state not currently control the ghetto?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Her party got 6% of the votes. How would she ever be able to form a government with so little support?

Gobbeldygook posted:

Bosnian Baba Yaga

I'll take two with garlic sauce. Hold the onions.

Katt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 22, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Randarkman posted:

What's ghettoplanen?

- Massive reduction of public housing in ghettos by 2030. There's already a huge shortage. And yes, "ghetto" is the official term used in legislation and since 2017 it legally differs from a "socially disadvantaged area" with an ethnic Danish majority.
- Demolition of public housing paid for with the residents' own renovation funds.
- Doubling of punishments for certain crimes committed in ghettos.
- Forced daycare for 1-year-olds on the threat of losing child benefits, where said 1-year-olds are supposed to learn about democracy and stuff.
- Language tests for kindergarten class students in ghettos.
- Three-month halt to child benefits if your kid misses school 15% of the time or misses a test.
- Prison of up to one year if a teacher or similar shirks their duty to report problem students to the authorities.
- Halving of benefits for people on welfare moving to ghettos and forbidding municipal authorities from assigning housing to them there.
- Students and the employed prioritised for public housing.
- Making it easier to evict people from public housing in general.
- The ability to evict entire families if their children commit crimes in the area.
- Barring criminals from moving to ghettos.
- Minimum requirements for public school performance, harsh sanctions up to and including state takeover and shuttering if results don't improve.

That's just off the top of my head. They rolled into a notorious ghetto with scores of armed police to present their grand plan (none of the residents were allowed to attend the press conference, of course).

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 22, 2018

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

- Massive reduction of public housing in ghettos by 2030. There's already a huge shortage. And yes, "ghetto" is the official term used in legislation and since 2017 it legally differs from a "socially disadvantaged area" with an ethnic Danish majority.
- Demolition of public housing paid for with the residents' own renovation funds.
- Doubling of punishments for certain crimes committed in ghettos.
- Forced daycare for 1-year-olds on the threat of losing child benefits, where said 1-year-olds are supposed to learn about democracy and stuff.
- Language tests for kindergarten class students in ghettos.
- Three-month halt to child benefits if your kid misses school 15% of the time or misses a test.
- Prison of up to one year if a teacher or similar shirks their duty to report problem students to the authorities.
- Halving of benefits for people on welfare moving to ghettos and forbidding municipal authorities from assigning housing to them there.
- Students and the employed prioritised for public housing.
- Making it easier to evict people from public housing in general.
- The ability to evict entire families if their children commit crimes in the area.
- Barring criminals from moving to ghettos.
- Minimum requirements for public school performance, harsh sanctions up to and including state takeover and shuttering if results don't improve.

That's just off the top of my head. They rolled into a notorious ghetto with scores of armed police to present their grand plan (none of the residents were allowed to attend the press conference, of course).

Isn't this in gross violation of every HR-paragraph ever written? How is Denmark not on the same EU shitlist as Poland and Hungary?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

What's ghettoplanen?

As split soul said, it's a legal form of apartheid aimed at immigrants (and the poor more generally, but mainly immigrants). Now, "normal" apartheid laws obviously isn't legal because of annoying human rights conventions and so on, so they had to put some of their top men on it, and make some 'Nuremberg laws' style legal-finagling to make it work. Obviously, the minister behind these laws is from the actual Ayn Rand inspired libertarian party.

Anyway, for the ghettoplan, simplified, it goes like this:

Ghetto areas get defined, inter alia, by whether or not there are a lot immigrants living there. Not by normal social economic measures, but literally how many immigrants live there (it's a little more complex, basically two things out of a list has to be fulfilled in order for it to be a ghetto). This is obviously extremely counter-intuitive unless you really hate immigrants, since any normal person with a tiny bit of reasoning left in their skull, would assume the causality would go the other way, but who cares about logic and reasoning when you just really want to hurt the muslims?

Moving on, it's not enough to just hit the immigrants though, no, it has to be immigrants and descendants of immigrants, race hygiene is very important guys. While you're at it, why stop there? We can be more bigoted. Since it's actually muslims we want to hurt, you got a step further and define 'ghetto' as whether or not immigrants and descendants of immigrants from non-western countries live there. Phew, you dodged a bullet there swedes. Oh, and of course, the government also artificially inflates unemployment % in areas they really want to be designated 'ghetto' because it has a lot of muslims, by calculating unemployment different in this respect, than they do normally.

Once you're there, where you have successfully defined "ghetto areas" as a place where muslims/immigrants live, you can start hurting them in various ways, such as lower the social and unemployment benefits in that areas, you can punish parents economically if their kids misbehave, or play hooky from school (many already at starvation levels, because they get lower than normal social benefits). You can give them mandatory "offers" of 30 hours of day-care per week (which costs money obviously) from the age of ... literally 1 ... and punish them, if they don't, and so on and so on. Obviously you should also bulldoze a lot of those homes and give them a hardy 'good luck' once those families are out on the street without anywhere to go, and no money to pay for anything.

In sum; you're literally punished more severely and have much harsher laws applied to you, if you live in a ghetto area. Those ghetto areas get defined by (among other things) where are a lot of immigrants and descendants of immigrants, from non-western countries.

I cannot describe how gut-wrenchingly awful it feels to have followed the development in Denmark first hand over the last 15-20 years. I mean, it was always kinda the racist uncle of scandinavia, but seeing right-wing extremism take hold to such an extent that something like 80% of danish politicians voted this today. Even with the slight 'nuremberg'-style fig leaf, it is honestly horrifying. I'd run, but there is nowhere to go. I'd fight, but I've already been doing that for a long time, and it clearly hasn't worked. It's cold comfort that this obviously will backfire and create way more problems, as young 'descendants' get further marginalized and radicalized. I mean, who wouldn't be? When they're so obviously shat on by their own country and treated (and legally considered) second class citizens.

e: in case it's not clear, it doesn't technically target immigrants and descendants directly, which is why their are sure it'll pass human right courts and son on, it simply includes them in one of several possible traits that characterize ghettos, and everyone in a ghetto area are treated the same. Curiously, it's mainly immigrants that live in ghetto areas, when you define ghetto areas by whether lots of immigrants live there. It's all pretty blatant.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 22, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

Isn't this in gross violation of every HR-paragraph ever written? How is Denmark not on the same EU shitlist as Poland and Hungary?

Not Eastern European enough

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Revelation 2-13 posted:

As split soul said, it's a legal form of apartheid aimed at immigrants (and the poor more generally, but mainly immigrants). Now, "normal" apartheid laws obviously isn't legal because of annoying human rights conventions and so on, so they had to put some of their top men on it, and make some 'Nuremberg laws' style legal-finagling to make it work. Obviously, the minister behind these laws is from the actual Ayn Rand inspired libertarian party.

Anyway, for the ghettoplan, simplified, it goes like this:

Ghetto areas get defined, inter alia, by whether or not there are a lot immigrants living there. Not by normal social economic measures, but literally how many immigrants live there (it's a little more complex, basically two things out of a list has to be fulfilled in order for it to be a ghetto). This is obviously extremely counter-intuitive unless you really hate immigrants, since any normal person with a tiny bit of reasoning left in their skull, would assume the causality would go the other way, but who cares about logic and reasoning when you just really want to hurt the muslims?

Moving on, it's not enough to just hit the immigrants though, no, it has to be immigrants and descendants of immigrants, race hygiene is very important guys. While you're at it, why stop there? We can be more bigoted. Since it's actually muslims we want to hurt, you got a step further and define 'ghetto' as whether or not immigrants and descendants of immigrants from non-western countries live there. Phew, you dodged a bullet there swedes. Oh, and of course, the government also artificially inflates unemployment % in areas they really want to be designated 'ghetto' because it has a lot of muslims, by calculating unemployment different in this respect, than they do normally.

Once you're there, where you have successfully defined "ghetto areas" as a place where muslims/immigrants live, you can start hurting them in various ways, such as lower the social and unemployment benefits in that areas, you can punish parents economically if their kids misbehave, or play hooky from school (many already at starvation levels, because they get lower than normal social benefits). You can give them mandatory "offers" of 30 hours of day-care per week (which costs money obviously) from the age of ... literally 1 ... and punish them, if they don't, and so on and so on. Obviously you should also bulldoze a lot of those homes and give them a hardy 'good luck' once those families are out on the street without anywhere to go, and no money to pay for anything.

In sum; you're literally punished more severely and have much harsher laws applied to you, if you live in a ghetto area. Those ghetto areas get defined by (among other things) where are a lot of immigrants and descendants of immigrants, from non-western countries.

I cannot describe how gut-wrenchingly awful it feels to have followed the development in Denmark first hand over the last 15-20 years. I mean, it was always kinda the racist uncle of scandinavia, but seeing right-wing extremism take hold to such an extent that something like 80% of danish politicians voted this today. Even with the slight 'nuremberg'-style fig leaf, it is honestly horrifying. I'd run, but there is nowhere to go. I'd fight, but I've already been doing that for a long time, and it clearly hasn't worked. It's cold comfort that this obviously will backfire and create way more problems, as young 'descendants' get further marginalized and radicalized. I mean, who wouldn't be? When they're so obviously shat on by their own country and treated (and legally considered) second class citizens.

e: in case it's not clear, it doesn't technically target immigrants and descendants directly, which is why their are sure it'll pass human right courts and son on, it simply includes them in one of several possible traits that characterize ghettos, and everyone in a ghetto area are treated the same. Curiously, it's mainly immigrants that live in ghetto areas, when you define ghetto areas by whether lots of immigrants live there. It's all pretty blatant.

I'm not so sure this would pass a human rights challenge. There is a lot of poo poo in this plan that after just cursory reading doesn't pass my immediate smell test. Looking forward to see this litigated which I actually honestly think it should be.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

How does the state not currently control the ghetto?
I meant state control in the actual lives of people living there, curtailing their freedoms based on their area of residence.

Potrzebie posted:

We're a racial democracy, not some lovely Eastern European semi-autocracy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

What exactly is the long term plan here? So they're impoverishing these people and make them homeless, now you have a lot of hungry, angry people without homes, then what? Do they think these people will just vanish? They're just expanding the recruitment pool of organised crime and radical organisations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

McCloud posted:

What exactly is the long term plan here? So they're impoverishing these people and make them homeless, now you have a lot of hungry, angry people without homes, then what? Do they think these people will just vanish? They're just expanding the recruitment pool of organised crime and radical organisations.

The plan is racism

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I meant state control in the actual lives of people living there, curtailing their freedoms based on their area of residence.
That makes more sense. A couple years ago a big thing for conservatives here was complaints about sharia law in the US with the occasional story about how Muslims had setup sharia courts in Europe and that soon we would be forced to live under sharia law unless we did something about it. A dozen states passed laws or amended their constitutions to "ban sharia law", but because of our strict protections on religious freedom usually phrased it as the courts not being allowed to consult any foreign or religious law. I figured it was a similar idea - "the Muslims have their own laws in the ghettos and we must put a stop to it".

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

McCloud posted:

The end goal is hurting immigrants, that's the long term plan. That's the main purpose, and it's literally what their voters want. I know it seems weird if you've had an interest in society and politics, because it's completely absurd from that perspective, but that's what it is. It's good for that plan if more immigrant/descendant youths are radicalized and recruited into criminal organizations, because it allows them to hurt immigrants/descendants more in the future.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm just really struggling to come to grips with such willful negligence where you enact laws that will hurt pretty much everyone in the end. It's beyond spiteful, and the only ones who actually benefit from this are the quisling politicians that vote for it because they think they can ride the xenophobic wave to reelection, so you would think the people would be in an uproar over this poo poo.

When's the next election in denmark? Why aren't the politicians being raked across the coals by the journalists?

McCloud fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 22, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

McCloud posted:

The long term plan is to get rid all the muslims and brown people. The government is aggressively suppressing immigration and wants to deport any non-citizen who's convicted of a crime. Forcing people into crime by starving and ostracizing them is a feature, not a bug. They recently passed a law that effectively outlawed homelessness, and a spokesperson for the nativist party was baffled to learn that the law also targeted the ethnically Danish homeless and candidly stated that it was only supposed to get rid of scary foreigners.

It's papered over with a thin veneer of tough-on-crime bootstraps neoliberalism, but even the social democrats have been openly racist since they lost the 2015 election (arguably longer, but that's when they made Mette Frederiksen their leader, which is pretty incontrovertible). If it weren't for EU conventions and the Danish constitution explicitly outlawing discrimination, I doubt anyone would bother with the whole song and dance.

E:

McCloud posted:

When's the next election in denmark? Why aren't the politicians being raked across the coals by the journalists?

It's in June, but even the leftists have jumped on the racism bandwagon and it hasn't particularly harmed their numbers. Nobody's going to reverse the flow, since the two parties that are actually calling anyone out will be lucky to end up sharing 15% of the seats.

E2: Oh, and decorum. Denmark has always had the latent racism of a nation that has never had a significant minority population, and most people don't believe you're really a racist if you aren't literally dressed up as a KKK/SS member. It's extremely impolite to imply that a person might be racist.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 22, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

I'm just really struggling to come to grips with such willful negligence where you enact laws that will hurt pretty much everyone in the end. It's beyond spiteful, and the only ones who actually benefit from this are the quisling politicians that vote for it because they think they can ride the xenophobic wave to reelection, so you would think the people would be in an uproar over this poo poo.

You don't need everyone to like you in a democracy, just the majority. With a majority of political parties now telling everyone it's okay to be racist and hate foreigners the decline has just accelerated rapidly.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 22, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McCloud posted:

The plan has always been "beatings will continue until morale improves".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I genuinely believe that we will see another attempt at genocide in Europe before the next decade is over if something drastic doesn't change. It's pretty clear what the logical conclusion of countries like Denmark's steadily declining views on human rights is.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Obviously, the minister behind these laws is from the actual Ayn Rand inspired libertarian party.

Don't forget Pinochet fan.

McCloud posted:

Why aren't the politicians being raked across the coals by the journalists?

You need access for that, an established press that doesn't depend entirely on state funding to survive, and competent journalists. Good luck.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They recently passed a law that effectively outlawed homelessness, and a spokesperson for the nativist party was baffled to learn that the law also targeted the ethnically Danish homeless and candidly stated that it was only supposed to get rid of scary foreigners.

Mette Frederiksen said precisely the same thing, but maybe you meant the other nativist party.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 23, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was referring to Peter Skaarup, but I can't say I'm surprised she did.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I feel all kinds of awful, that we're being taken down by a loving sentient ham.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

I feel all kinds of awful, that we're being taken down by a loving sentient ham.

You have to be way more specific.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh look

https://expo.se/2018/11/sd-ordf%C3%B6rande-i-staffanstorp-s%C3%B6kte-sig-till-h%C3%B6gerextremt-medborgargarde

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

You have to be way more specific.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
So how high above sea level is Denmark? Wanna know if they'll get the same karmic retribution as the PVV in the Netherlands when they end up as climate refugees in the next few decades

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Catboy Autonomist posted:

So how high above sea level is Denmark? Wanna know if they'll get the same karmic retribution as the PVV in the Netherlands when they end up as climate refugees in the next few decades

Oh boy, you are not going to see any whining about a lack of space and resources from the Swedish pundits when the refugees coming in are European.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Retarded Goatee posted:

Oh boy, you are not going to see any whining about a lack of space and resources from the Swedish pundits when the refugees coming in are European.

Western European you mean

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Retarded Goatee posted:

We do have space yes, but still, they ARE danes. We didn't march over the belts and ransom them for half their kingdom just to give it all back a few centuries after.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Catboy Autonomist posted:

Even if all the ice melts, 40% of Denmark will still be above sea level. That's plenty room if you don't insist on countryside/exurban living, so Denmark would only be improved by it. Just a nice dense city-state on a subtropical archipelago, unencumbered by the past.

Sweden is the baby brother.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is the nurse being Swiss part of the joke? Because Swiss German is essentially the German version of Danish in that it is just noise masquerading as language and sounds ridiculous.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Is the nurse being Swiss part of the joke? Because Swiss German is essentially the German version of Danish in that it is just noise masquerading as language and sounds ridiculous.

Overwatch reference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Red Cross is literally a Swiss invention.