Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Nope. Big companies hire lots of people to do things all the time.

If this was EA or Ubisoft you'd be right, but despite making oodles of cash from this property, Game Freak still chooses to operate at a "Double A" developer level (that is, the whole company consists of under 50 people rather then hundreds like a triple A game developer). They're not about to blow a significant chunk of their budget and resources on a feature that people always found dismissive (they'd rather put it towards a feature that most people would find dismissive later, such as Festival Plaza).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but unfeasible is too strong of a word.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Thanks for the info, I've no idea what the IVs are for or do but it's good to know Gary will still be useful to me.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why the hell would anyone shiny hunt in Lets Go

There isn't even pokebank functionality

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Ignite Memories posted:

Why the hell would anyone shiny hunt in Lets Go

There isn't even pokebank functionality

People want shinies badly and are willing to hunt for them. Even in games that are no way compatible with main series games, like the some of the Mystery Dungeon titles.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also the fact that 4kids no longer handles the dubbing means that a ton of Pokémon will no longer sound like your childhood.

Keep the beeps. I like weird animal sounding Pokémon, like in Origins.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat the route from Lavender to Fuschia is a loving gauntlet.

I finally have my mystery box. So from what I understand I can get one of these a week?

Can my copy of let's go give one a week to multiple Go accounts? Or one period? And does anyone know when that time resets?

I estimate I'll need about 6 boxes to get Malmetal. (If each one summons ten and I use pinap berries, then send them back into the game or to the professor for additional candy).

I want a malmetal in this game and in Pokemon go! So double that. But I also want my friends to be able to get mystery boxes from me

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Also the fact that 4kids no longer handles the dubbing means that a ton of Pokémon will no longer sound like your childhood.

Keep the beeps. I like weird animal sounding Pokémon, like in Origins.

This post reminded me how amazing Origins actually was. The animal cries there fit perfectly.
I think that if Gamefreak wanted to move away from the beeps they could have done so waaay back in Gen III. It's just one of that iconic things that's here to stay. Pikachu gets the special treatment cause it's a goddamn Pikachu. Plus that happened in the 3DS games and no other Pokemon got their cries altered (which was hillarous hearing the Gameboy screeches of Gen 1 stuff next to the Gen 6 cries) so I doubt they'd want to change that.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kikas posted:

This post reminded me how amazing Origins actually was. The animal cries there fit perfectly.
I think that if Gamefreak wanted to move away from the beeps they could have done so waaay back in Gen III. It's just one of that iconic things that's here to stay. Pikachu gets the special treatment cause it's a goddamn Pikachu. Plus that happened in the 3DS games and no other Pokemon got their cries altered (which was hillarous hearing the Gameboy screeches of Gen 1 stuff next to the Gen 6 cries) so I doubt they'd want to change that.

For once, I am glad of Game Freak's extreme laziness.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Pomplamoose posted:

I haven't played Let's Go and I'm on the fence about getting it, is there a good set of self imposed rules to make the game more challenging? I know the usual nuzlocke rules don't translate exactly due to the catching system but is there anything similar that people are doing that at least makes losing possible for people experienced with the series?

Crunch is better for Gyarados since it's a physical attack and Gyarados' attack stat is way higher than it's special.

Catch for fun but not to grind (you'll still do plenty of catching), don't use candy. Maybe don't use your partner pokémon.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pokemon did actually get their cries altered in gen 6. But in a way that reinforced that the old sounds aren't going anywhere.

That is, especially for mons from the early gens, they got updated to sound more like the cries that newer pokemon make, not just literal gameboy boops. So they added more sound channels, some bass, etc. And simultaneously they diversified the cries that had been used for multiple pokemon in gen 1, like psyduck and bellsprout. Now psyduck sounds way more like an actual duck.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I also am Okay with the sounds they have Eevee say as it isn't just the name. I will never stop scratching her little mane while she makes little motor engine sounds and then jumps up in the air. Please tell me there are more ways to pet and or groom these little critters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Pokemon should not be able to move left or right on the catch screen if you're not in handheld mode :colbert: Especially if they go to the left. I cannot get the ball to go anywhere but straight, or super super right by accident. At least let me use the joystick to move the camera left or right.

This is a problem for Pokemon like Magnamite or, even dumber, Magikarp

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can get it to go left and right when I want but only if I don't think about it

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

You know how Golduck is supposed to only be 5 feet tall?

I'm in awe at the size of this lad, the absolute unit:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm new to the whole chain catch thing, if you're chaining another mon for a while, does a different mon you catch still keep the VI stuff or whatever even if breaks the chain? Or do I just need to start chaining charmanders?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So if you're going shiny hunting pre-endgame, is it best to get to a 31 and then just run into everything and run and hope a shiny spawns instead of continuing to try and raise the chain? It caps out at 31 anyway right

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

God drat the route from Lavender to Fuschia is a loving gauntlet.

It's funny bc if you take the route from celadon to fuschia you can skip all the trainers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

So if you're going shiny hunting pre-endgame, is it best to get to a 31 and then just run into everything and run and hope a shiny spawns instead of continuing to try and raise the chain? It caps out at 31 anyway right

Correct. Only reason to keep the chain is for candy or more 4IV+ Pokémon’s

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Did i just spend $60 on Pokemon Lets Go to find out I can’t use the pro controller or two joycons?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah its fuckin dumb

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

one handed let's go pokemon owns

anyhow

is the only way to get melmetal to evolve it in go and then transfer it over or does meltan evolve naturally at a certain level?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Am I missing something like the other half of the gameplay by not missing the second joy-con? It’s not like there’s extra buttons awaiting assignment. I will admit that the other joy-con gets no button presses, but I’m not sure it needs to just because it’s *there*

e: also as a left hander I will hear nothing of handedness arguments, as I have mastered the Crooked Arm Snook Hook technique and can catch a Lugia now in the wind.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 23, 2018

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How do I keep my Vulpix from telling me to go gently caress myself whenever I tell it to do something?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

How do I keep my Vulpix from telling me to go gently caress myself whenever I tell it to do something?

Your Pokemon will stop listening to you after a certain level unless you have the required gym badge

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I thought that was only traded pokermon?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Well, the ones you gamble away will probably resent the trainers more given the frivolity.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Anyone know if there's anywhere to catch lickitung OTHER than cerulean cave in let's go? I don't wanna have to wait that long ideally

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Maybe it's an Alolan Vulpix.
Otherwise Pokemon would be taking hints from the Reborn game. And that's no good.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oh, that seems to be what's happening. My Graveler is doing the same thing, both of which I traded for the Alolan forms. They ignored five straight commands between the two of them in a single fight. Goddamn useless :/

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

Try rematching the Elite Four and then checking back.

That actually did it. Serebii (and thus most of the websites with Pokemon info) doesn't have that information just yet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Really digging this portable shade

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

one handed let's go pokemon owns
You know what would own even harder

if you had this thing called options where you could decide exactly how you want to control the game based on what's comfortable to you

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Amppelix posted:

if you had this thing called options where you could decide exactly how you want to control the game based on what's comfortable to you

Lol yeah and then GF will port over QoL features from one gen to the next

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

You're playing pokemon wrong

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Peacoffee posted:

Lol yeah and then GF will port over QoL features from one gen to the next

Too far, friend.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
You'll play pokemon how Masuda wants you to, and you'll like it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Too far, friend.

Only in paradise will we have all the tools of our salvation at hand. This is what my twenty years a trainer has taught me.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Peacoffee posted:

Am I missing something like the other half of the gameplay by not missing the second joy-con? It’s not like there’s extra buttons awaiting assignment. I will admit that the other joy-con gets no button presses, but I’m not sure it needs to just because it’s *there*

e: also as a left hander I will hear nothing of handedness arguments, as I have mastered the Crooked Arm Snook Hook technique and can catch a Lugia now in the wind.

You could assign all the directional controls to one side and the confirm, cancel, and menu buttons to the other side??

Like every video game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Grump posted:

You could assign all the directional controls to one side and the confirm, cancel, and menu buttons to the other side??

Like every video game ever

Look this is white castle drive thru not burger king and it’s been Have it Our Way since before 9/11

e: also, I found the accidentally buying something and being mad at it far more amusing than the reasonable desire for custom controls. I mean I figured I was going to buy it when I held it at the store but I still actually eyeballed the box.

In other news I’m noticing that items respawn each day? Like you can harvest evolution stones that way, etc? Is that new? Because I don’t remember it. Also buying pokeballs and getting the bonus premiere ball doesn’t require you to do ten, just counts how many stacks of ten you bought and gives you the bonuses accordingly. These are changes that I’m hoping haven’t been true for the last two gens lol otherwise I wasted lots of time

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 23, 2018