Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

get the 200gb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Get the 400

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just get a 2TB external hdd imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Spiffster posted:

Also I have 17 bucks to burn on the eshop. Any recommendations with the sales going on?

I've heard Into the Breach is incredibly good, but I haven't played it yet. From the FTL devs, it looks to have the same sort of philosophy as Klei's Invisible Inc, in that it's turn-based strategy where you don't deal with a lot of randomness in your turns; you have most of the information needed, and you base your decision on that.

I love XCom, but missing a shot that had a 90% chance to his loving sucks. I much prefer knowing it'll hit, but trying to make other decisions based on the situation at hand.

Edit: goddamn, I desperately want Invisible Inc on more platforms. It's just so goddamned good! The dude from Giant Bomb was right.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Okay.

bowmore posted:

Get the 400
That's too many!!!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pierson posted:

That's too many!!!

Look, the Switch does have a lot of good indie games...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

How the FUUUUCK do I play Katamari??!

There is a whole moveset.........that they totally don’t explain in the demo lol. You can do things like click both sticks to do a fast 180

These are for PlayStation but should mostly translate

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Katamari_Damacy/Controls

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
The Sega Classics Collection comes out in like 2 weeks and I'm so hyped to be able to have ToeJam & Earl on my Switch. I'm sure I'll play a few other things in there, but I am mostly planning on paying $30 just for that.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Anybody know if Walmart has remedied their Diablo 3 mistake yet?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How do the motion controls work in Katamari? Is it basically just tilting the Joy-cons around like two giant joysticks?

The more ridiculous the motion controls are, the more I want it. I'm going to end up owning it on both platforms eventually, but I'm still not set on where I'm buying it first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Circle Nine posted:

The Sega Classics Collection comes out in like 2 weeks and I'm so hyped to be able to have ToeJam & Earl on my Switch. I'm sure I'll play a few other things in there, but I am mostly planning on paying $30 just for that.

This is an incredibly good post.

TJ&E for life. Yeah! Alright!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How do the motion controls work in Katamari? Is it basically just tilting the Joy-cons around like two giant joysticks?

The more ridiculous the motion controls are, the more I want it. I'm going to end up owning it on both platforms eventually, but I'm still not set on where I'm buying it first.

As mentioned, the demo doesn’t explain the controls, and I didn’t think to try motion. I’m not sure we know the answer to that yet.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Pierson posted:

I'm wavering between a 128GB and 200GB sd card with these deals. On the one hand the 200GB is only £10 extra but on the other hand when am I ever gonna be playing more than like three 'big' games on Switch at any time? Even major Switch games aren't generally THAT big.

Get the 200 and tell yourself it’s fine because it’s as cheap as the 128 is for most of the year. I just did. Also there’s shitloads of good indie stuff on the switch that will quickly add up.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Get the 256, it's the best value

Into the Breach is pure strategy, no random dice rolls. You always know exactly how much damage you'll do and it's so satisfying to plan out a good turn. Don't play it right before bed if you're at all susceptible to the Tetris effect, you'll be awake all night running simulations in your head

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Dragon Ball Fighterz was more then half off at Target (25 bucks)

It’s not terrible is it? I love 3v3 fighters like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and DBZ is always awesome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spiffster posted:

Dragon Ball Fighterz was more then half off at Target (25 bucks)

It’s not terrible is it? I love 3v3 fighters like Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and DBZ is always awesome.

It's very good and I'm not a person that likes fighters that much.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm actually gonna start Diablo today. Is there anything, like, mega-critical that I should do or not do in the very beginning?

Also what the gently caress is a season? :corsair:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm someone who hasn't played a Doom game since Doom II...well, I hosed around on Doom 3 on that Xbox360 bundle game thing but that's about it. How does the new Switch game hold up? Are the controls pretty intuitive? Is it meant to be played in handheld mode or does it work better on the dock?

I don't have a Pro controller but am probably biting the bullet pretty soon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Wow. Warframe is a good game I have missed out on for way too long

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mdemone posted:

I'm actually gonna start Diablo today. Is there anything, like, mega-critical that I should do or not do in the very beginning?

Play a season character, they convert to a normal character when the season is over and you get more stuff in the season mode than a normal mode game.

Don’t be afraid to start the game on hard mode instead of normal mode, unless you suck at video games, you should do fine. Play single player for your first run through just you can experience the game and more at your own pace, then jump right into multiplayer.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm someone who hasn't played a Doom game since Doom II...well, I hosed around on Doom 3 on that Xbox360 bundle game thing but that's about it. How does the new Switch game hold up? Are the controls pretty intuitive? Is it meant to be played in handheld mode or does it work better on the dock?

It's super sweet. Graphics are a tad blurry but it's not a big deal. When the death metal kicks in after the intro level and then the big DOOM title card slams down, it's a Hell of a moment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

Play it however you want. It looks, runs, and controls great either way.

I would argue Switch Doom is the definitive version for controls at least.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

These are events that last a few months. Basically, you create an all-new character that has no access to anything from the Campaign mode, and go through the Adventures & Bounties mode, getting lootboxes for completing all the missions for each Act.

Not sure where it's located on the Switch, but on the PC there's a leaf icon that clicking on will show objectives that, if completed, will finish Chapters and give you rewards. You'll get Season-specific gear for whatever character you're on when you open the reward bag (make sure you're max level, 70, before opening it), and cosmetics like banners, wings, portrait borders, and pets (they'll run around collecting gold for you).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Beware if you are a PC gamer with the Switch as your side bitch and you decide to buy Skyrim or Doom. Yes the ports are a technical marvel. But the constant 30fps or less may be eye cancer for you. It’s unplayable for me. Yet BotW is fine! I suppose it’s a combination of them being first person perspective and being so used to run them at high frame rates on PC. I wish I had bought more indie games with the money.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

RandomFerret posted:

Get the 256, it's the best value

Not in the uk it ain’t

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don’t have it on the switch but just get it, it’s a lot of fun and easy to pick up. Although I’d say if you have another console and can get it much cheaper for that then do that, unless you’re desperate to play it on the go. But if you’ve just got the switch then go wild, everyone says the gyro controls work well with it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Animal posted:

Beware if you are a PC gamer with the Switch as your side bitch and you decide to buy Skyrim or Doom. Yes the ports are a technical marvel. But the constant 30fps or less may be eye cancer for you. It’s unplayable for me. Yet BotW is fine! I suppose it’s a combination of them being first person perspective and being so used to run them at high frame rates on PC. I wish I had bought more indie games with the money.

It depends on the person. Playing doom in bed is more important to me than playing it at 60fps. Maybe it isn’t for others, it depends what you want

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Play a season character, they convert to a normal character when the season is over and you get more stuff in the season mode than a normal mode game.

Awesome, thanks.

quote:

Don’t be afraid to start the game on hard mode instead of normal mode, unless you suck at video games, you should do fine.

This is what everyone says but I'm fresh off getting halfway through Dark Souls....again, before getting owned mercilessly...again.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Oh and Meijer has Octopath for 40 bucks today for those of you in the Midwest

Edit: crash and donkey Kong are also on sale(20 and 40 respectively) but were sold out where I went

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mdemone posted:

Awesome, thanks.

This is what everyone says but I'm fresh off getting halfway through Dark Souls....again, before getting owned mercilessly...again.

Start on hard mode, you can dial it back to normal on the fly if it’s too much. Better loot drops on hard.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mdemone posted:

Diablo 3 “hard” is the second easiest of seventeen difficulty settings. Especially once you get some gear anything lower than “expert” becomes intolerably easy.

Difficulty in D3 goes Normal/Hard/Expert/Master/Torment 1 through Torment 13.

”Blizzard” posted:

Normal: 100% Health, 100% Damage, 0% extra gold bonus, 0% extra XP bonus
Hard: 200% Health, 130% Damage, 75% extra gold bonus, 75% extra XP bonus
Expert: 320% Health, 189% Damage, 100% extra gold bonus, 100% extra XP bonus
Master: 512% Health, 273% Damage, 200% extra gold bonus, 200% extra XP bonus
Torment I: 819% Health, 396% Damage, 300% extra gold bonus, 300% extra XP bonus
Torment II: 1311% Health, 575% Damage, 400% extra gold bonus, 400% extra XP bonus
Torment III: 2097% Health, 833% Damage, 550% extra gold bonus, 550% extra XP bonus
Torment IV: 3355% Health, 1208% Damage, 800% extra gold bonus, 800% extra XP bonus
Torment V: 5369% Health, 1752% Damage, 1150% extra gold bonus, 1150% extra XP bonus
Torment VI: 8590% Health, 2540% Damage, 1600% extra gold bonus, 1600% extra XP bonus
Torment VII: 18985% Health, 3604% Damage, 1850% extra gold bonus, 1900% extra XP bonus
Torment VIII: 41625% Health, 5097% Damage, 2150% extra gold bonus, 2425% extra XP bonus
Torment IX: 91260% Health, 7208% Damage, 2500% extra gold bonus, 3100% extra XP bonus
Torment X: 200082% Health, 10194% Damage, 2900% extra gold bonus, 4000% extra XP bonus
Torment XI: 438669% Health, 14416% Damage, 3350% extra gold bonus, 5000% extra XP bonus
Torment XII: 961759% Health, 20387% Damage, 3900% extra gold bonus, 6400% extra XP bonus
Torment XIII: 2108607% Health, 28832% Damage, 4500% extra gold bonus, 8200% extra XP bonus

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

mdemone posted:

Was in a similar situation a few weeks ago, hard difficulty is really more like normal difficulty, honestly. Normal is very easy.

Play a seasonal character, since there's not much reason to play normal over seasonal for your first character. Once you get to postgame, using your seasonal character from singleplayer will be easier than starting from scratch with a new character.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BGrifter posted:

Diablo 3 “hard” is the second easiest of seventeen difficulty settings. Especially once you get some gear anything lower than “expert” becomes intolerably easy.

Oh wow, okay. That difficulty ladder is a bit much. Hard mode it is then.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

mdemone posted:

Play through Story mode to get a feel for it is my suggestion. It is fun, and hilariously easy even on the highest difficulty. I think the last boss of the expansion required dodging and using potions, which was nearly a first

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It depends on the person. Playing doom in bed is more important to me than playing it at 60fps. Maybe it isn’t for others, it depends what you want

This is me, though normally, I'll sacrifice better graphics for framerate. If I can play Skyrim at 60 fps with the detail turned down (on the laptop I'm currently playing it on), then I'll do it. If the switch is locked at 30 most of the time, and it looks nicer than what I'm used to, that works too.

Being able to play it in bed (I guess I could do that with the laptop, but it's not the same) would be amazing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mdemone posted:

Oh wow, okay. That difficulty ladder is a bit much. Hard mode it is then.

It’s a weird system. The endgame of pushing Greater Rifts actually extends past the equivalent of Torment 13 too. A character at max level with a full set of the appropriate gear for their build can farm Torment 13 fairly comfortably.

Oh and your first character is by far the biggest grind. Once you hit the level cap you can throw together a set of leveling gear for alts and take them from 1-70 in under ten minutes.

On the short term keep an eye open for any helmet with a socket in it and slap your best Ruby in there for a sizeable XP bonus.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sad that there are no Walmarts in NYC so I missed out on Diablo 3. Is the “deal” still going?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero any good?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

BGrifter posted:

T13 or bust.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Animal posted:

Sad that there are no Walmarts in NYC so I missed out on Diablo 3. Is the “deal” still going?

Would also like to know this. Don’t shop Walmart normally but I’ll stick it to them if it’s a price error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Argue posted:

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero any good?

It had charm and chuckles but nothing to write home about.

If you think you'll like it you probably will, but if you're on the fence or on a budget you're not missing too much by skipping it.