Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

After two years of playing, I finally hit a tie last night that went to final salvo. New edition seems even harder to pull this off now, but 4 v 5 ships last night ended in a 150 tie.

Is there a release date for the newer film/Clone Wars stuff yet? I probably just need to pick up another faction or conversion, but the game is starting to feel a bit stale. It needs more options because I am seeing that same stuff way too much. Not that I didn't see the same meta lists in the previous, but I want more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

I found Predator incentivised me to make bad moves to get the bullseye. The same with Juke to a lesser extent. For me, Outmanoeuvre is the best talent by far. Soontir loves to hang out at range 2 on the flanks, just taking a focus. Soontir is not a knife-fighter, he needs space to work (until he's hunting 1v1 at least). For me, the bullseye is a trap because you don't want to be pointed directly at the enemy; you want to work the angles.

It's funny, because I play him totally differently. Range 1 is safer imo. Much easier to dodge arcs when you're close, easier to get the bullseye, harder for enemies to set up a block without overshooting you, and bonus attack dice for you. Range 2 is the scariest to me, no bonus defense, and you often can't get out of arcs as easily.

Personally, I prefer Juke to Predator because bullseye is limiting, but the points are a concern if you're pushing for a certain bid.

Also just as an aside, this edition Soontir is totally grand with bumping one target to deny it shots. Fly in, bump, get your bullseye focus, and shoot someone else/have some defense. People get surprised by it thinking he'll be helpless.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Slandible posted:

After two years of playing, I finally hit a tie last night that went to final salvo. New edition seems even harder to pull this off now, but 4 v 5 ships last night ended in a 150 tie.

Is there a release date for the newer film/Clone Wars stuff yet? I probably just need to pick up another faction or conversion, but the game is starting to feel a bit stale. It needs more options because I am seeing that same stuff way too much. Not that I didn't see the same meta lists in the previous, but I want more options.

FFG doesn't do release dates until things are like two weeks out, other than that it's just whatever quarter they claim stuff will be available in preview articles, and guestimating how far out a product is based by where it is in the "Upcoming Products" queue.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just painted a Phantom in royal guard red. Should I attempt to cloak effect or leave as is?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just painted a Phantom in royal guard red. Should I attempt to cloak effect or leave as is?

If you don't, how will anyone remember that it cloaks.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eh im just nervous after screwing up a Sabine themed attack shuttle. Gradients without an airbrush are just the worst

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Gonna paint a phantom with Black 2.0

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Devlan Mud posted:

FFG doesn't do release dates until things are like two weeks out, other than that it's just whatever quarter they claim stuff will be available in preview articles, and guestimating how far out a product is based by where it is in the "Upcoming Products" queue.

Which hasn't been updated in months; wave 2 is probably out before the end of November.

Most likely release date for Wave 3 is Feb/March.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Which hasn't been updated in months; wave 2 is probably out before the end of November.

Most likely release date for Wave 3 is Feb/March.

You’re being terribly optimistic if you think they just haven’t updated the website and believe wave two is going to be on shelves before Christmas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Devlan Mud posted:

You’re being terribly optimistic if you think they just haven’t updated the website and believe wave two is going to be on shelves before Christmas.

They're doing previews now and Malaysia already has stock holding for a street date.

I'd be surprised not to see it before end of Nov, they were aiming for an aggressive release schedule.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A little bird told me that one of the big xwing podcasts is pulling in $20k/yr in patreon bucks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

canyoneer posted:

A little bird told me that one of the big xwing podcasts is pulling in $20k/yr in patreon bucks.

poo poo, I make more than that at my retail job

In Canadian dollars

Maybe I should start a podcast

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

How many regular hosts do they have, do they pay their guests, do they have to maintain a website? 20k is basically nothing, especially if you're putting in a ton of time to do it. Nice to have if you just really enjoy the work though.

For reference, the One Shot podcast network pulls in just over $90k a year. I can't imagine what the McElroy's would pull with a Patreon. They support 4 people at least on TAZ and MBMBAM; their dad was able to retire from his radio job to be a podcaster full time and I think he only does one.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 20, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only ones I'm aware of that pull in anything above like, extra beer money, are mynocks and Gold squadron. Mynocks apparently have contracts where they split everything 3 ways and gold squad only has 1 guy making money. Neither of them pay any of their guests. I'm not sure what their costs are though. I know paul la rue used to gouge them on alt arts they commissioned but i think they all universally told him to take a hike at those prices the last couple years.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'd bet it's Gold Squadron. The guy who does it, Dion, is super good at it. He goes to all the major events and streams them, and gives really good commentary while it's going. Very professional, which isn't something you see much in any streaming, let alone X-Wing.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I mean, you can just go to their Patreon page and see the number of patrons and the minimum pledge to get a rough idea of the minimum they are making. Mynocks have less patrons than Gold Squadron (371 vs 501), but their lowest tier is $4, whereas Gold Squadron has a $1 tier. Mynocks reinvest most if not all of their Patreon money into swag, prizes, acrylic and travelling to events, all their tiers has bimonthly rewards etc. Both are probably over $20k per year at this point.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I would guess Dion is making much more than that in Twitch Prime subscriptions.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyonero posted:

He said on one stream that there is a possibility with enough subs he will be able to do it as a fulltime job.

5 Days till my first Nats (Aussie) Wooooo

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many regular hosts do they have, do they pay their guests, do they have to maintain a website? 20k is basically nothing, especially if you're putting in a ton of time to do it. Nice to have if you just really enjoy the work though.

For reference, the One Shot podcast network pulls in just over $90k a month. I can't imagine what the McElroy's would pull with a Patreon. They support 4 people at least on TAZ and MBMBAM; their dad was able to retire from his radio job to be a podcaster full time and I think he only does one.

What? I'm in that network, I think I'd know if James was that wealthy. His patreon just hit $7,600 per month this afternoon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

5 Days till my first Nats (Aussie) Wooooo

Whatcha flying?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

canyonero posted:

Probably true also. I know he's been saying on stream that he's using the money to start going to international locations to meet the groups out there and stream events with them/do interviews so I'm sure he's getting a pretty big chunk if that's viable.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm having some friends over for our traditional holiday activity.

Getting riproaring drunk and watching the Star Wars Holiday Special. So, I devised two lists so we can play x-wang.

1 is two green squad vets, two red squad vets, cause green and red.

The other is Boba, and three sycks with HLCS, cause like the Holiday Special, Boba is the only good part of this.

(Thinking, maybe I should a rebel list with a b-wing, e-wing and a-wing for Bea Arthur)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Whatcha flying?

“Whisper” (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (28)
Barrage Rockets (6)

Barrage Rockets (6)

Total: 194

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I have been flying this since 2.0 started and I know it inside out. I have a really good record against Sloane Lists, Boba Lists and of course the Redline version of the list. Also, I'm not stressed out if I lose the bid. I do have real trouble against smart players with 5 bomber lists. Less practised players who start information are pretty easy. I'll be ecstatic if I make day 2.

Aussie X-wing is pretty funny right now. Most tournaments stream, but over the last few weeks, everyone is streaming middle to bottom tables and not putting their lists up on TTT. From what I have seen personally I would not be shocked to see 15+ point bids.

Edit: If I had started flying Duchess earlier I would have definitely swapped Soontir out with her.

Raged fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 20, 2018

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Raged posted:

“Whisper” (52)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

Barrage Rockets (6)

Barrage Rockets (6)

Total: 194

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I have been flying this since 2.0 started and I know it inside out. I have a really good record against Sloane Lists, Boba Lists and of course the Redline version of the list. Also, I'm not stressed out if I lose the bid. I do have real trouble against smart players with 5 bomber lists. Less practised players who start information are pretty easy. I'll be ecstatic if I make day 2.

Aussie X-wing is pretty funny right now. Most tournaments stream, but over the last few weeks, everyone is streaming middle to bottom tables and not putting their lists up on TTT. From what I have seen personally I would not be shocked to see 15+ point bids.

Edit: If I had started flying Duchess earlier I would have definitely swapped Soontir out with her.

I've seen this style list a few times and it seems pretty drat good. I think right now Soontir is a better call tbh. You don't care about the bid so much with Soontir, where Duchess definitely does care. Whisper obviously likes the bid, but Phantoms are more durable than people recognize and the decloak movement makes them so hard to outmaneuver and keep lined up it doesn't matter as much either. As long as you survive the initial engage, it's not so important.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Question about Fifth Brother. Can I use his ability to turn a Focus result to a Crit, then spend a focus token to turn the rest of my focus results to hits?

Also, hull upgrade on Soontir, yes or no? I'm tempted to skip it and take the much larger bid.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Funzo posted:

Question about Fifth Brother. Can I use his ability to turn a Focus result to a Crit, then spend a focus token to turn the rest of my focus results to hits?
Yes, that's exactly how it works.

quote:

Also, hull upgrade on Soontir, yes or no? I'm tempted to skip it and take the much larger bid.
I wouldn't bother. If you really want him to be more survivable, put a stealth device on him, but if you fly him correctly, he's hard to hit; he gets to double-reposition, so concentrate more about getting him out of arc than in position to shoot. Once he's flanking or behind somebody, he's laughing.

Went three and one in a local tournament, and I'm a bit salty about losing the one. Saw some interesting lists, including two aggressors, two barrage bombers and a redline.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

What? I'm in that network, I think I'd know if James was that wealthy. His patreon just hit $7,600 per month this afternoon.

You know, I was thinking to myself as I made that post, "$90k per year, don't put $90k a month or you'll look stupid in the X-wing thread."

And yet, here we are.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sorry to drop in with a totally noob question, but I haven't played since 2.0 came out, but the prequel ships coming out next year (March?) has made me want to start again. I need to get the 2.0 like, Starter Pack right? Do I need the core and both conversions?

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 21, 2018

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Sorry to drop in with a totally noob question, but I haven't played since 2.0 came out, but the prequel ships coming out next year (March?) has made me want to start again. I need to get the 2.0 like, Starter Pack right? Do I need the core and both conversions?

Just the core if you only want to play with new prequel ships. The conversations are just if you want to continue using your old models.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Any Aussies coming to Nats tomorrow? I know Kong is trying to get up but tons of flights have been cancelled.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, I'm meant to be flying in 3 hours but I'm not hopeful at this stage. Maybe I'll be able to change flights to Canberra and find someone with a spare seat in their car on their way in that morning but that's a long shot.

Playing day 1 with no sleep sounds like a bad time too.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Raged posted:

Any Aussies coming to Nats tomorrow? I know Kong is trying to get up but tons of flights have been cancelled.

Longtime thread lurker hear.

I'll be the guy flying the named B-wings tomorrow

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Say hey if you guys run into me. I’ll be the American sounding guy in the grey orange team shirt with the Burger Tokens.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Raged posted:

Say hey if you guys run into me. I’ll be the American sounding guy in the grey orange team shirt with the Burger Tokens.

I will. I managed to get through the inclement weather and I've arrived in Sydney so I'll see you in the morning. I'll probably be wearing a bit of a weird floral shirt and I'll be flying a custom painted lambda and a tie fighter, both with the imperial logo painted on them alongside some bombers. If you see me say hi!

What team shirt is it? Not the Mercs from the ANZTC?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Just as a heads-up, a lot of first edition is 50-66% off on amazon today, if you want plastic spaceships to conversion kit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I picked up Imp Aces for about $12, which is pretty nice.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some of the 2e stuff has a slight discount, too. Think I saw the new Y-Wing going for $13.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Ceebees posted:

Just as a heads-up, a lot of first edition is 50-66% off on amazon today, if you want plastic spaceships to conversion kit.

Bad sadly, not Amazon Canada.

On the other hand, I finally got around to pickup up Star Wars BF2, because hey, for $13 CDN on the PSN store, why not?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Some of the 2e stuff has a slight discount, too. Think I saw the new Y-Wing going for $13.

I ordered four of em so now I can run five new ywings.

I like ywings okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Devlan Mud posted:

I ordered four of em so now I can run five new ywings.

I like ywings okay

Why not 6? Can your opponent kill 48 HP in 75 minutes? Time to find out!