Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Elephant Parade posted:

We also have what looks to be another edgelord magical girl show
Magical Girl Special Forces is supremely edgelord. I read a bit of the manga back when it was announced and part of the protagonist's backstory is that when the cutesy mascot-like invaders learned her real identity they immediately kidnapped her parents and mailed them back to her in pieces. She has PTSD flashbacks when she sees people in mascot costumes on the street.

It struck me as the magical girl equivalent of superhero comics where a guy with super strength punches someone and they explode into bloody chunks.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The upcoming season mostly looks dire, but I'll definitely watch Promised Neverland and Mob Psycho.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Every time there's a plane girls anime I always assume it's the anime they were making in Shirobako.

Mob Psycho will be good but nothing else immediately stands out. Like every season though there will be something that ends up being unexpectedly good and worth watching.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Davincie posted:

do not disrespect the one good upcoming show
I already said id watch mob psycho

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

happy sugar life was at least portraying things as kind of hosed up, not in some massive 'own on manga trends!' way just, it seemed aware it was dealing with heavy topics on some level.

unlike this and maid show which seem to just think its cute and charming and not massively hosed up
Yeah, I've actually come around on the anime, whose ending had the merit of actually making me feel sorry for a couple of characters' fates. Also, the OP for that gave me some shaft-y vibes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
probably wont read anyone's 2019 AOTY list if they didn't watch mob psycho tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
does that mean you'll read their lists even if they don't put mob psycho on them as long as they watched it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Personally I’m putting all my support behind the big underdog, the show that won aoty last year.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

Every time there's a plane girls anime I always assume it's the anime they were making in Shirobako.

Mob Psycho will be good but nothing else immediately stands out. Like every season though there will be something that ends up being unexpectedly good and worth watching.

well one of them is

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Starsnostars posted:

That's actually getting a movie! :dance:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

does that mean you'll read their lists even if they don't put mob psycho on them as long as they watched it
Yeah if they watched it and but it wasnt their favs thats fine

no watch no respect

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Strange Quark posted:

Personally I’m putting all my support behind the big underdog, the show that won aoty last year.
Land of the Lustrous season 2 isnt this year

But I wish it was

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The antagonist of the Youjo Senki movie is named Mary Sioux.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Wark Say posted:

That's actually getting a movie! :dance:

I had no idea! That's exciting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nipponophile posted:

I hope this is real

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

smh if she's not native American or extremely goth

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope this is real

It's been real for a while.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm super hyped for next season-probably gonna watch nearly as much anime that season as I did this whole year. :magical:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
K A G U Y A

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sindai posted:

Magical Girl Special Forces is supremely edgelord. I read a bit of the manga back when it was announced and part of the protagonist's backstory is that when the cutesy mascot-like invaders learned her real identity they immediately kidnapped her parents and mailed them back to her in pieces. She has PTSD flashbacks when she sees people in mascot costumes on the street.

It struck me as the magical girl equivalent of superhero comics where a guy with super strength punches someone and they explode into bloody chunks.
yeahhhhhh that's a skip

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

Still sounds less tryhard than Magical Girl Site.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Sindai posted:

It is extremely this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's about ultra-gore and girls going through extreme emotional stress. so, super trashy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

It is extremely this.

i'd probably enjoy this without the ptsd about the mutilation of her parents

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Magical Girl Raising Project already exists... I don't think there's much more to plumb from the well of the Edgy Magical Girl genre. I liked MGRP at first but now that I'm starting to enjoy traditional mahou shoujo stuff it comes off as extremely mean spirited. An even more extreme form of it just seems unwarranted

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there were a few bright spots in mgrp but by and large the genre is way too focused on just inflicting suffering on young girls because ???

regular magical girl shows already do the same but in a fashion that is more measured and will actually make sense in a character arc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Besides, Symphogear already did the gore and edge with a broadly happy, positive tone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
MGRP at least has the decency to be :black101: and not just depressing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it also decided to zoom out on a lesbian magical girl to show that she pissed herself after committing suicide

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it also decided to zoom out on a lesbian magical girl to show that she pissed herself after committing suicide
sounds extremely :black101: to me op

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
<with the explicit knowledge that this is more cause of the stuff I read/watch than any real trend in anime/manga/visual novels> why does everything gotta end in motherfuckers fighting ISIS

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Between that and several other moments (one magical girl being revealed as third-trimester pregnant after her death, for example), MGRP crosses the line from "explores dark themes" to "edgy for the sake of edge". It's no Mahou Shoujo Site, but it's not Madoka 2.0, either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

klapman posted:

<with the explicit knowledge that this is more cause of the stuff I read/watch than any real trend in anime/manga/visual novels> why does everything gotta end in motherfuckers fighting ISIS
i too watched madoka

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i too watched madoka

And Charlotte. Ye gods, that show went places.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Endorph posted:

i too watched madoka

MGRP ends the same way, same with Rewrite and Charlotte (though both are KEY titles and honestly it's more a criticism of their stuff than anyone else). It seems like it's becoming the typical trend for shows that want to show What Your Ideals Must Encompass If They're Realistic, which is fine in theory but in practice c'mon man, drat. At least give me, like, alternate universe Russia. Just a different setting/condition than fighting ISIS lol

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Looking at the next season now and it looks like it's going to be pretty good? Quality over quantity and, I mean, off the bat is Kaguya and Mob Psycho 100 II. The Promised Neverland is coming too. I usually end up watching 3 - 4 a season anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i personally just can't watch most dark magical girl stuff at all because it feels like almost all of it crosses a line with how it portrays extremely dark subject matter that displays no real respect or meaning to it, and it does it while wearing the face of a genre that's personally meaningful and encouraging while stripping that genre of anything that makes it have a purpose beyond riffing on its aesthetic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the fact that, while a lot of traditional magical girl series are from guys and I dunno the staffs of some of the darker ones, it feels like a very DUDE'S TAKE on what is a traditionally feminine genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New season seems fine. I'm at least curious about the mermaid show, Bandori S2, Boogiepop, Promised Neverland, Endro. 5 shows is usually a healthy season as far as I care.