Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a dark day when Ann Coulter is owning you.

You see the number of people who see immigration as the most important issue briefly went up: Gallup: Immigration Up Sharply as Most Important U.S. Problem

So clearly fearmongering about it is the only rational choice left to ~sensible centrists~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sanguinia posted:

I jut can't get over the hilarity of the fact that goons were literally salivating over the possibility of Pelosi getting ousted by a flank from the left, but she ended up being suckerpunched from the right and now all the new left-wing reps are rallying to her defense. Life is a funny old thing.

i think it's more hilarious that the right wing dems pelosi rigged primaries to help immediately swung around and tried to knife her in the back

i think there's a lesson in there about how worthwhile blue dogs are

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1065994398859694080

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sanguinia posted:

I jut can't get over the hilarity of the fact that goons were literally salivating over the possibility of Pelosi getting ousted by a flank from the left, but she ended up being suckerpunched from the right and now all the new left-wing reps are rallying to her defense. Life is a funny old thing.

Maybe if congress people had to live as AOC in vows of economic equivalence to their constituents we'd only have 99% of congress be rich assholes.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've seen a couple people saying that Beto isn't for M4A at this point. Is that correct? I know he's not "to the left" of Sanders but would be curious to know how progressive he is or isn't. His obvious cool dad charisma is appealing but not if he's a blue dog.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've seen a couple people saying that Beto isn't for M4A at this point. Is that correct? I know he's not "to the left" of Sanders but would be curious to know how progressive he is or isn't. His obvious cool dad charisma is appealing but not if he's a blue dog.

according to his facebook, he supports medicare for all but disagrees about how the one major M4A bill in the house, HR 676, accomplishes it

policy disagreements about how we should do UHC is like insanely far away from being a blue dog.

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 23, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

according to his facebook, he supports medicare for all but disagrees about how the one major M4A bill in the house, HR 676, accomplishes it

policy disagreements about how we should do UHC is like insanely far away from being a blue dog.

he didn't call o'rourke a blue dog, just said that he's not worth it if he is (and stated that he really isn't sure where o'rourke falls on the issue)

that being said, while i'm not the biggest fan of him, national nurses united did endorse him, and they are super-pro medicare for all and singlepayer, so i'm willing to believe that he's genuine on wanting single payer / medicare for all of some form

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
How bad will Pelosi caving to the Blue Dogs affect any potential health care reforms realistically? I'm not under any illusions about M4A becoming reality tomorrow, but a lot of these reps are owned by insurance and pharma correct?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Beto is slightly left leaning of the average Dem, putting him solidly in the centrist category.

He was running in freaking TEXAS though, so pretty liberal by lone star standards.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

thegalagakid posted:

How bad will Pelosi caving to the Blue Dogs affect any potential health care reforms realistically? I'm not under any illusions about M4A becoming reality tomorrow, but a lot of these reps are owned by insurance and pharma correct?

She's not going to cave to these idiots at worst she's going to give them a weasel-rear end assurance then ignore them once they've done what she wanted, same as she'd do to progressives trying to hold her up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

thegalagakid posted:

Uh, the Dems don't control the Senate or Presidency so the chance of them passing any health care reform is already zero. Everything the Dem House passes will just be a showcase of what they might do if they hold all three branches following the 2020 election.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

eke out posted:

Thanks. I've just seen a lot of people in the 2020 thread saying he's backed off from his M4A support so I was wondering what that was about.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Pellisworth posted:

Uh, the Dems don't control the Senate or Presidency so the chance of them passing any health care reform is already zero. Everything the Dem House passes will just be a showcase of what they might do if they hold all three branches following the 2020 election.

They should really pull the same poo poo the GOP did trying to repeal Obamacare, except with actually good policy.

Pass a $15 min wage 25 times in the house, and watch Republicans in the Senate smother it in its crib over and over.

Repeat for green energy initiatives, a public option, and whatever else could easily pass because it polls at 60+% nationwide, and usually 80+% of Democrats.

Watching Republicans repeatedly kill very popular legislation will fire up the Dem base even more for 2020. And it has the bonus effect of making Republican voters see their politicians gently caress them over again and again.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1066062617670754305

This kind of thing makes me think we’re heading for something like indentured servitude based on educational requirements.

Hey 18 year olds! Want a job? We’re hiring Sanitation Engineers. Bachelors degree required. Can’t afford school? We’ll cover your tuition if you work for us to pay off your debt*, starting during your first semester.

*repayment period is approximately 720 months. Early payment not permitted. Failure to complete service will constitute theft by deception.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RasperFat posted:

They should really pull the same poo poo the GOP did trying to repeal Obamacare, except with actually good policy.

Pass a $15 min wage 25 times in the house, and watch Republicans in the Senate smother it in its crib over and over.

Repeat for green energy initiatives, a public option, and whatever else could easily pass because it polls at 60+% nationwide, and usually 80+% of Democrats.

Watching Republicans repeatedly kill very popular legislation will fire up the Dem base even more for 2020. And it has the bonus effect of making Republican voters see their politicians gently caress them over again and again.

afaik that's exactly the plan, pass a bunch of good legislation that Dems can run on in 2020 and have their opponents on record voting against it

Plus, once the Dems are in power in 2020 (hopefully), they'll already have a bunch of legislation written, hashed out in committee, and voted on so it should be quicker to pass for real.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 23, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hellblazer187 posted:

Thanks. I've just seen a lot of people in the 2020 thread saying he's backed off from his M4A support so I was wondering what that was about.

He stopped using the words "M4A" during the Cruz debates but otherwise he's been fairly consistent on supporting some form of single payer.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
What a loving prick

https://twitter.com/joshjonsmith/status/1065875395256311808

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Lead By A Fearless American President (not pictured)"

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Piss Tapes aren't real!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1066062617670754305

This kind of thing makes me think we’re heading for something like indentured servitude based on educational requirements.

Hey 18 year olds! Want a job? We’re hiring Sanitation Engineers. Bachelors degree required. Can’t afford school? We’ll cover your tuition if you work for us to pay off your debt*, starting during your first semester.

*repayment period is approximately 720 months. Early payment not permitted. Failure to complete service will constitute theft by deception.

I'm not going to lie, but if there was an option to do guaranteed work in a field I was educated for but I was basically indentured for a five-to-ten year period to clear my student loans, I would jump at the chance.

That Worry Free bit in Sorry To Bother You hit pretty close to home. :smith:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Y'all have that medal wrong. It's not saying "Led," but rather "Lead." It's about all the lead Trump is fearlessly ingesting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Y'all have that medal wrong. It's not saying "Led," but rather "Lead." It's about all the lead Trump is fearlessly ingesting.

Holy poo poo, you're right. :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So the leftist stronghold is weakened because...there's a bunch of power further on the left? Bernie actively likes the youth getting engaged in politics, he's likely gonna try to weld his powerbase to theirs and support them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KillHour posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right. :allears:

Maybe that's what the medals are made of. Trump is personally ingesting the lead, then making GBS threads out said lead into a mold. "Lead, by a fearless American president."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Alkydere posted:

So the leftist stronghold is weakened because...there's a bunch of power further on the left? Bernie actively likes the youth getting engaged in politics, he's likely gonna try to weld his powerbase to theirs and support them.

there can only be one leftist leader apparently and as aoc rises bernie's power withers into nothingness

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alkydere posted:

Nothing can ever be reported on as an unqualified good thing for progressives.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

i think it's more hilarious that the right wing dems pelosi rigged primaries to help immediately swung around and tried to knife her in the back

i think there's a lesson in there about how worthwhile blue dogs are

Whose primaries did she rig?

Shifty Pony posted:

Editorial bullshit on twitter shares is always like this.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 23, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nevvy Z posted:

If I had to guess it’s probably how she dared endorse incumbent Dems in their primaries which in Condiv’s mind is tantamount to rigging.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 23, 2018

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

And of course centrists always jump over every opportunity to poo poo on leftists.

https://twitter.com/hoarsewisperer/status/1066016383706808320?s=21

Look at this BS. There’s a whole line of people waiting to shout “Bernie is an NRA whore millionaire!” every single time any opinion piece says anything about him.

It would be amusing if it didn’t help fascists so much by contributing to the propaganda smearing of the few good politicians we have.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Condiv posted:

there can only be one leftist leader apparently and as aoc rises bernie's power withers into nothingness

It's like the Highlander, AOC is going to decapitate Bernie and gain his power.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

"Lead By A Fearless American President (not pictured)"

He must be super pissed his name and picture aren’t on that coin. ...unless you flip it around and it’s his fleshy rectangular profile smugly smirking like he’s Caesar on the back of the Denarius.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nine-gear crow posted:

He must be super pissed his name and picture aren’t on that coin. ...unless you flip it around and it’s his fleshy rectangular profile smugly smirking like he’s Caesar on the back of the Denarius.

He's probably more pissed he isn't making any money from it.

"The White House Gift Shop" is basically a grift operation run out of some warehouse in a flyover state iirc.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Sanguinia posted:

I think that in nearly all of these cases it was just because they didn't understand what was happening, but people like AOC have a strong enough capacity to message a better understanding of the situation that in the span of 48 hours that "pelosi bad/is a waste" narratives realized to some extent what was up, and tuned it way down.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Remember when people kept trying to sell Obamacare, food stamps, and the idea of a robust social safety net to Republicans by talking about the economic stimulus it provided? But dammit, helping the undeserving is against our principles, so it’s not worth it.

It’s amazing, though, not surprising, that siding with Saudi Arabia for the economic benefits after they murder a journalist doesn’t provoke this reaction.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Young Freud posted:

I'm not going to lie, but if there was an option to do guaranteed work in a field I was educated for but I was basically indentured for a five-to-ten year period to clear my student loans, I would jump at the chance.

Reminds me of Medieval style apprenticeships

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColinKahl/status/1065756721405059072

Trump’s going to give the Saudis nuclear weapons lol

Yep, sell nukes to the country from which 15 of the 19 of the 9/11 attackers came.

What can possibly go wrong?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Shifty Pony posted:

He's probably more pissed he isn't making any money from it.

"The White House Gift Shop" is basically a grift operation run out of some warehouse in a flyover state iirc.

I was in the white house gift shop last year. Didn't like the idea of giving Trump money, but on the other hand the stuff in there didn't have his name on it (at the time) and looked nice. Ended up buying a few fidget spinners with the presidential seal for $5 each. Gave most of them away but kept one for myself.

Total garbage. Within a few days of intermittent spinning, the bearings were audibly grinding. Now even a full force spin only makes the thing rotate for about ten seconds.

Anyway, that's my white house gift shop story, tyvm.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Unponderable posted:

I was in the white house gift shop last year. Didn't like the idea of giving Trump money, but on the other hand the stuff in there didn't have his name on it (at the time) and looked nice. Ended up buying a few fidget spinners with the presidential seal for $5 each. Gave most of them away but kept one for myself.

Total garbage. Within a few days of intermittent spinning, the bearings were audibly grinding. Now even a full force spin only makes the thing rotate for about ten seconds.

Anyway, that's my white house gift shop story, tyvm.

There's a difference between the gift shop at the actual White House and "The White House Gift Shop" online. The first is most likely run by the Park Service because the WH is technically a National Park, the latter is owned by Giannini Strategic Enterprises, LLC located in an office on 301 Front St in Lititz, PA (I remembered wrong about the flyover state) and has zero current affiliation with the Federal Government.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/26/steny-hoyer-audio-levi-tillemann/

pelosi's subordinate hoyer was caught interfering in the tillerman/crow primary

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/26/nancy-pelosi-steny-hoyer-recordings-555935

quote:

“I don’t see anything inappropriate in what Mr. Hoyer was engaged in conversation about,” Pelosi told reporters at her weekly news conference. “If the realities of life is that some candidates can do better in the general than others, then that’s a clear-eyed conversation that we should be having.”

In audio obtained by The Intercept, Hoyer is heard telling liberal Democrat Levi Tillemann to drop out of the race in order to clear the field for establishment-backed Jason Crow, an Army veteran.

“I am for Crow because a judgment was made very early on. I didn’t know Crow. I didn’t participate in the decision. But a decision was made early on by the Colorado delegation,” Hoyer told Tillemann in the secretly recorded December meeting.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/415569-nancy-pelosis-math-problem-in-a-speaker-vote

quote:

Rep.-elects Jason Crow (Colo.) and Abigail Spanberger (Va.), as well as Rep. Conor Lamb (D-Pa.), who won a full two-year term, have said they won’t vote for Pelosi on the House floor.

happy to help

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I had to guess it's probably how she dared endorse incumbent Dems in their primaries which in Condiv's mind is tantamount to rigging.

yes, stepping into primaries is lovely, even when an incumbent dem is running. crow was not an incumbent though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1065993396395880448

i've got a better idea

how about we spray harvard and yale graduates into LEO