Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

“There’s plenty more! Why won’t people try my dish?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carnival of Shrews posted:

'Javanese Dinner', eh? Takes more than a bit of tinned pineapple to scare me off, let's see what google turns up.

"Be sure to take some of every item (even if you don't like the item) as it is necessary to produce the final taste."

I should call my mother and grandmother for knowing how to cook and teaching me how, 'cause wtf.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Is this a joke? I honestly can't tell if this is a joke.

http://www.honeycomboasis.com/single-post/How-to-Do-a-Javanese-Dinner

It's like the mingled vomit you see in the gutter outside a row of take-aways and off-licenses on saturday mornings.

edit: Jesus gently caress - the 'gravy' is soup.

SOUP.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's real, and it's real weird. We have scrambled eggs, pecan pie granola, and prune-cranberry jelly to add to our Javanese brunch today. Hooray.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I know every country has its own extremely weird and nasty foods so I'm not going to get all high-horsey about the actual ingredients, but I do think it's a bit thick to call it 'Havanese'.

I mean, I could mix marmalade, sour cream, tealeaves, chocolate syrup and lime juice up with some cold pudding rice but I'm not going to call it a 'thai bowl' to try to trick people into eating it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
No you're right, it's definitely not cool. It's probably racist af as it was mostly a trend in Southern families in the 70's and 80s. Behold the wonders of Southern racism.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Up to the cheese I'm like okay I can imagine this being tasty and then it goes out of its loving mind.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m going to submit my own AFP. I braised some deer shanks on the bone for Thanksgiving. It’s my favorite thing how it basically turns into meat aspic.

It’s good as gently caress though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I saw the Thanksgiving episode of Friends yesterday where two pages of Rachel's cookbook stick together and she winds up making English shepherd's pie trifle for dessert. It's kind of amazing to see something so similar being made on purpose.

eta: the "Javanese" thing, that is

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I saw the Thanksgiving episode of Friends yesterday where two pages of Rachel's cookbook stick together and she winds up making English shepherd's pie trifle for dessert. It's kind of amazing to see something so similar being made on purpose.

eta: the "Javanese" thing, that is

A bunch of people made them for lols this year for whatever reason. Maybe people do it every year and I've never noticed, but it seemed to be a bit of a thing on a small part of the internet this year.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, the American South, famous for its affinity for ... Indonesian culture and cuisine (what).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bike tory posted:

A bunch of people made them for lols this year for whatever reason. Maybe people do it every year and I've never noticed, but it seemed to be a bit of a thing on a small part of the internet this year.
I have it on good authority that it tastes like feet.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

bike tory posted:

The reason is that YouTube’s favorite chef made it, and life imitates art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4BxOhJOmUw

Actually a lot of the stuff on his channel is pretty afp worthy. At least the first half of them when he goes solely by description.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Ah yes, the American South, famous for its affinity for ... Indonesian culture and cuisine (what).

Eh, we're a military family that has lived in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. It might be a weird military family thing, if I think about it. Possibly not Southern, still racist as goddamn.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

This is violence

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh like you never tried to cop a nicotine buzz off a half-butt you found in your aunt's ashtray. This is just the same thing, but with ambition.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why does this remind me of my childhood

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carnival of Shrews posted:

'Javanese Dinner', eh? Takes more than a bit of tinned pineapple to scare me off, let's see what google turns up.

"Be sure to take some of every item (even if you don't like the item) as it is necessary to produce the final taste."

I’ve never read a more desperate recipe. Lady your food is disgusting and no amount of dolling it up with designs and hail marying a bible quote is gonna change that you’re just forcing people to eat a garbage dump to make yourself feel better

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, looks like all of my aunts are cooking dinner again

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The "Javanese Dinner" seems like some bizarre corruption of rijsttafel, which is actually loving amazing and do not miss it if you're ever in Curaçao or Suriname (or of course Java, I just haven't been there).

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Null of Undefined posted:

The reason is that YouTube’s favorite chef made it, and life imitates art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4BxOhJOmUw

Actually a lot of the stuff on his channel is pretty afp worthy. At least the first half of them when he goes solely by description.

Aw man, don't poo poo on my man Babish. He's pretty decent and one of the few food personalities I can stand.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Zipperelli. posted:

Aw man, don't poo poo on my man Babish. He's pretty decent and one of the few food personalities I can stand.

I’m not making GBS threads on him. I’m saying that the food he makes in the first part of his videos, where he recreates the something based solely on the descriptions and ingredients in whatever work of fiction he’s referencing, is usually gross and inedible,as per his own admission. When he makes his own version it’s usually good and cool.

I subbed to that fools channel way before he was an internet billionaire. (As most people on SA probably did)

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Null of Undefined posted:

I’m not making GBS threads on him. I’m saying that the food he makes in the first part of his videos, where he recreates the something based solely on the descriptions and ingredients in whatever work of fiction he’s referencing, is usually gross and inedible,as per his own admission. When he makes his own version it’s usually good and cool.

I subbed to that fools channel way before he was an internet billionaire. (As most people on SA probably did)

Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant his food in general was AFP. I was gonna say...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Some people say this was some kind of joke thing, like a goon meet or something.

If that's true, it's still very depressing, just in a completely different way

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think it was an parody thing

You forgot the shot of the cornucopia of dry pasta and other poo poo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Close, it's an art project.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

AlbieQuirky posted:

The "Javanese Dinner" seems like some bizarre corruption of rijsttafel, which is actually loving amazing and do not miss it if you're ever in Curaçao or Suriname (or of course Java, I just haven't been there).

Sound a bit like Tumpeng. They make a cone shape mountain of rice and surround it with meat, egg, veg and salad dishes. I'd love a buffet with rendang curry, coconut , chicken satay skewers, gado gado etc with some warm fish, egg and veg salads

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

We... well, they, always called it Hawaiian Haystacks here. I called it "I'm not that hungry, but thanks anyways" and raided the fridge when I got home.

There was also the Mexican Pile-On, but that was just deluxe nachos.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Fallout Stimpak Shot | How to Drink

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

AlbieQuirky posted:

Surinamese food rules

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I mean I guess the open scab wound and gross rear end fingers in the cup kind of add to the fallout vibe

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean I guess the open scab wound and gross rear end fingers in the cup kind of add to the fallout vibe

I'm not sure if shot glasses full of semen really fit, though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Still would.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The worlds worst demon tries to trick people into summoning itself

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

So is this a dolphin gleefully bathing in its own blood, or...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dixville posted:

So is this a dolphin gleefully bathing in its own blood, or...

Nah it just killed a shark for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fizzymercy posted:

Eh, we're a military family that has lived in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. It might be a weird military family thing, if I think about it. Possibly not Southern, still racist as goddamn.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I can see it being a mix of the two, where a military chef has to turn Thanksgiving leftovers into a meal for 1000 hungry troops, knows about rijsttafel, and scales up the recipe and makes it a layered dish so it can be served cafeteria style with a giant spoon. At some point "It's like a dinner in Java called rijsttafel" became "Javanese Dinner" and all the GIs coming back from the war talk about it.