Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Entropic posted:

Another ticket came in from this client who kept reporting the same kind of issue for what seems like a year: they have a voicemail module they call in to to set who is on-call for the night, and it supposedly doesn’t work half the time for one of the options. They call in, hear a menu that says “press 1 to put Alice on call, press 2 to set Bob on call, press 3 to set Carol on call” etc with like six options. You press 2, you hear a recording say “Bob is now on call” and then it disconnects, and now when you call the after-hours line it should forward to Bob’s cell phone.

They kept reporting intermittent issues with this system and we’ve double-checked and tested the programming a bunch of times and it always seemed to be set up just fine when we tried it.

I finally figured out the actual problem today and it’s super dumb.

The way it set up in Voicemail Pro, the “X is now on call” recording is actually the prompt on the node that does the variable change.

If you hang up before a prompt is done playing, VMPro doesn’t actually do the associated action.

One of the “x is now on call” recordings had like 4 seconds of silence at the end of it.

I hate phones. I hosed up and one day told like 20 users to come in to see me for help entering their new passwords on their phones so they could access their email. Not that I hadn't instructed them how to do it before; I even made a nice 30 second phone-friendly video and word doc and sent it to everyone to show them how but for whatever reason these people were too inept / lazy to do it themselves. Some have had tickets open for as long as 8-10 weeks.
Anywho, I had free cycles one day that week because I was just working on contract stuff so I knew I'd be glued to my desk.
Almost everyone came in and had their AD passwords reset (surprise they never use computers apparently) and entered on their phone's email client.

Cue 60 days later when I receive 20 voicemails from the same people saying they're coming in to have me 'fix their phone'.

FML what have I done??? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hate phones. I hosed up and one day told like 20 users to come in to see me for help entering their new passwords on their phones so they could access their email. Not that I hadn't instructed them how to do it before; I even made a nice 30 second phone-friendly video and word doc and sent it to everyone to show them how but for whatever reason these people were too inept / lazy to do it themselves. Some have had tickets open for as long as 8-10 weeks.
Anywho, I had free cycles one day that week because I was just working on contract stuff so I knew I'd be glued to my desk.
Almost everyone came in and had their AD passwords reset (surprise they never use computers apparently) and entered on their phone's email client.

Cue 60 days later when I receive 20 voicemails from the same people saying they're coming in to have me 'fix their phone'.

Ha, that sucks. You can at least make it a little better by varying the day their passwords expire on.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

PBS posted:

I thought our change process was bad but it's not even close to that.

What industry?

Banking. It was a nightmare of politics, petty jackassery, and process. Learned a ton though.

Now I support a big construction firm. My boss reports directly to the CFO, which means we have a lot of autonomy as long as we don't blow budget.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

You all have that much data? Jeez, I've had 500MB for years until I got fed up just yesterday and phoned my provider. I now have 2GB data, for less money than my old subscription. Also unlimited texting and 120 minutes, even though I literally never text (last time was 2 months ago to my wife, because I ran out of data) and only use 43 minutes total averaged over the past months, according to phone support lady.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I now have 2GB and that's enough for me. I pay 11 bucks for my sim only subscription. I almost never run out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Watching people outside of Ireland talk about their data allowances is always a trip for me. Here it's pretty much just throw €20 credit onto your account and forget about it for a month or so.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's us. With about 120 users. Because our corporate team won't stagger the expiry's. So every 90 days, for about a week, we get slammed with "MAH PHONE ISN'T GETTING EMAILS".
And we walk them through it again. And reset 1/2 their AD accounts, because they never log onto the computers...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arquinsiel posted:

Watching people outside of Ireland talk about their data allowances is always a trip for me. Here it's pretty much just throw €20 credit onto your account and forget about it for a month or so.

I'm £16 per month with EE for unlimited voice, texts and 30GB. It's good. The 4G can hit 120Mbps.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:drat:

I want those prices here :smith:

In phone-related news, I've apparently sent 260+ texts this month, heh.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

£28 a month, with a Razer Phone on a 2 year contract, no upfront cost, unlimited calls and texts, and 10GB of data.

(Shame the 4G is poo poo in the city centre)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm £16 per month with EE for unlimited voice, texts and 30GB. It's good. The 4G can hit 120Mbps.
My girlfriend moved to the UK almost a year back to study, and her conclusion is that it was cheaper to just stick with her Irish network. We're a generation of 30-somethings who use phones as if we were still 15.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

My girlfriend moved to the UK almost a year back to study, and her conclusion is that it was cheaper to just stick with her Irish network. We're a generation of 30-somethings who use phones as if we were still 15.

When I was 15 I would use a (land line) phone to call a friend so we could meet up somewhere.

Current phones have ways of communicating that would have blown my mind in 1993. Hell a smartphone with Doom on it would have blown my mind.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jonny Nox posted:

When I was 15 I would use a (land line) phone to call a friend so we could meet up somewhere.

Current phones have ways of communicating that would have blown my mind in 1993. Hell a smartphone with Doom on it would have blown my mind.
Ireland was very much into early adoption of phones for kids. I got my first one at 15 back in 1999, and my younger brother had one not long after at 12 years old.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Ireland was very much into early adoption of phones for kids. I got my first one at 15 back in 1999, and my younger brother had one not long after at 12 years old.

That's interesting. I got my first mobile phone at 27 and only because i started working for Blackberry and they gave me one. And after i left Blackberry the world was changed so much that is essentially expected to have a mobile phone. If there would be one thing I'd happily give away of the new technological advancements would be mobile smart devices. Smartphones, smart watches, smart pads, smart whatever: i'd burn them all.
But, they'll never go away, and if anything, they'll become even more embedded in our lives.

When I wasn't at home or at my work desk I was unreachable. That feeling will never come back. Now If im unreachable i have to apologize.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I got my first cell phone in 1987 (Carpack from Motorola) because I was in the Army and had more cash than sense.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I got my first cell phone in 1987 (Carpack from Motorola) because I was in the Army and had more cash than sense.

God drat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Texting on a 2x14 character LCD was an interesting one for sure.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oof. Don't remind me.

I started out with an old Motorola in '99, then a Nokia 3210...

I remember the old Ericsson phone too... Ugh.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm jealous of you all. I pay ~$150 a month for my wife and myself for 10GB of data, and it would be ~$200 if I din't work for my service provider.

Canadian telecom prices are a loving scam.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My parents worked at what was then Dancall which produced mobile phones for the NMT network (on 450MHz), and as a result I was one of the first kids in the entire school to have a phone (mind you, this was in a rural town with about 500 students in the school, at that time).
I'm not even sure the NMT network supported text messages back then, so it wasn't like the phone was much use outside of bragging rights.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It's been a long year.

---------

:v: I need to make my PowerPoint presentation loop indefinitely!
:reject: OK, give each slide a timer, tick this box, etc., etc...
:v: whoa whoa whoa wait what? "Slides"? I don't have any "slides".
:reject: uhhhh OK. Can I remote your computer real quick?
:reject: Ah yes, I think I see the problem. This isn't a PowerPoint presentation, it's a video file. And if you want to repeat, you don't need to make 50+ copies of it on this USB stick. Just click the repeat button before you click play.

---------

:reject: If we've missed any software off your new laptop, please let us know and we'll install it ASAP
:v: please install Microsoft

---------

:reject: Hi, I understand you're having trouble with your computer. Can you tell me whether you've managed to get into Windows?
:v: The jargon you computer people use is ridiculous!

---------

A department receives lots of business-related images via e-mail. Rather than saving the images directly to our content management system using an Outlook extension, they print out these e-mails, send them via internal post to our scanning room, who scan them back in... to the content management system. When asked to stop doing this and use the extension:
:v: That's too complicated!!!

---------

:v: My laptop keeps typing spaces!! Weirdly it's fine when I remove it from the docking station.
:reject: Have you tried moving the USB keyboard wedged between your docking station and the wall?

Wachter fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 23, 2018

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Man it must be nice to have real wireless service and prices. Canada likes to have neither of those.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did anyone else experience the boost in popularity of consumer pagers around 99/2000?

Vodafone had their own branded devices in the UK, complete with software that would use your dial-up modem to send messages.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
when i was 7 i found a pager on the side of the road. it worked but i couldnt figure out what it was supposed to do. it's probably out there on the side of some other road somewhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wachter posted:

It's been a long year.

---------

:v: I need to make my PowerPoint presentation loop indefinitely!
:reject: OK, give each slide a timer, tick this box, etc., etc...
:v: whoa whoa whoa wait what? "Slides"? I don't have any "slides".
:reject: uhhhh OK. Can I remote your computer real quick?
:reject: Ah yes, I think I see the problem. This isn't a PowerPoint presentation, it's a video file. And if you want to repeat, you don't need to make 50+ copies of it on this USB stick. Just click the repeat button before you click play.

---------

:reject: If we've missed any software off your new laptop, please let us know and we'll install it ASAP
:v: please install Microsoft

---------

:reject: Hi, I understand you're having trouble with your computer. Can you tell me whether you've managed to get into Windows?
:v: The jargon you computer people use is ridiculous!

---------

A department receives lots of business-related images via e-mail. Rather than saving the images directly to our content management system using an Outlook extension, they print out these e-mails, send them via internal post to our scanning room, who scan them back in... to the content management system. When asked to stop doing this and use the extension:
:v: That's too complicated!!!

---------

:v: My laptop keeps typing spaces!! Weirdly it's fine when I remove it from the docking station.
:reject: Have you tried moving the USB keyboard wedged between your docking station and the wall?

Jesus, these sound like they're from about 20 years ago.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Volguus posted:

When I wasn't at home or at my work desk I was unreachable. That feeling will never come back. Now If im unreachable i have to apologize.

Nah, gently caress that. Unless I'm specifically on call, I'm not reliably reachable. I mean, most of the time my boss could get me through personal channels, though we've not had a need for that yet, but if I'm not paid to work, I ain't at work. Remote or not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Today is a good day to reboot servers for VMware tools updates.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Did anyone else experience the boost in popularity of consumer pagers around 99/2000?

Vodafone had their own branded devices in the UK, complete with software that would use your dial-up modem to send messages.

I was just on the cusp of this where I was too young for a pager, and by the time I had any real need I was on hand-me-down phones (with credit-card–sized SIMs). So I never had the experience, sadly.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mehall posted:

Nah, gently caress that. Unless I'm specifically on call, I'm not reliably reachable. I mean, most of the time my boss could get me through personal channels, though we've not had a need for that yet, but if I'm not paid to work, I ain't at work. Remote or not.

My work phone goes on silent at 4:30 pm, and no one at work have my personal cell number. It's not listed anywhere either, so best of luck trying to get it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Nuuuutaaaaniiiiiix!

They're behind on the version, so we're still stuck with the even-shittier web interface.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wibla posted:

My work phone goes on silent at 4:30 pm, and no one at work have my personal cell number. It's not listed anywhere either, so best of luck trying to get it.

Keeping my personal number out of the hands of employers and clients has been a heroic struggle, but so far I’m holding out.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

GreenNight posted:

An even better day for upgrading production firewalls outside of normal maintenance windows

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jaded Burnout posted:

Keeping my personal number out of the hands of employers and clients has been a heroic struggle, but so far I’m holding out.

Google voice number yo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devmd01 posted:

Google voice number yo

This so much.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Google voice is great. I just have mine go directly to voicemail and I receive a transcript I can read before I decide if they even get a call back. They generally don't.

Being able to text from a real keyboard is also a tremendous boon.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Google voice number yo

Not available outside the US. These days I bought a cheap Android on the company and use that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Personally, I find it tremendously freeing to dump my number and get a new one every 5 years.

These days, with all the other methods of communication, most people don't know your phone number itself: it's all via some variations of friends lists.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Javid posted:

Google voice is great. I just have mine go directly to voicemail and I receive a transcript I can read before I decide if they even get a call back. They generally don't.

Being able to text from a real keyboard is also a tremendous boon.

I used to have that, but for some reason it stopped working with iOS?

It was so useful :(

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I use it on iOS to this very day so I don't know what issue you're having

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Volguus posted:

Don't blame tech for lovely human behavior. Your job is treating you poorly and that's what you need to fix /change.