Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1066053496422756352

jfc shut the gently caress up hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1065993396395880448

i've got a better idea

how about we spray harvard and yale graduates into LEO

Would much be lost if we just fired both campuses into the sun?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

I'll agree with Hillary that having immigration policies on the books that aren't well enforced does push fascist sympathizers like Hillary Clinton into the arms of their natural political allies, fascists.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Poorly-considered geo-engineering projects to stop climate change, instead of actually changing behaviors, are going to to be the global climate version of Olestra and its anal leakage.

Just eat chips in moderation and go to the gym, you lazy lard rear end weirdo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Poorly-considered geo-engineering projects to stop climate change, instead of actually changing behaviors, are going to to be the global climate version of Olestra and its anal leakage.

Just eat chips in moderation and go to the gym, you lazy lard rear end weirdo.

Do I wanna click that link? Seems pretty risky...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

enraged_camel posted:

It's from the website of a book series called "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" which are big thick books that contain all sorts of awesome facts and lists and interesting articles about everything you could think of. There's a fuckton of them. It's a work-safe link. And check out the books. You won't be sorry.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

RuanGacho posted:

Should probably start with Williams and Washington and Lee

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Noted Yale man Monty Burns.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 23, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

enraged_camel posted:

It's nothing.
Basic version: Olestra is an artificial fat that tastes like fat but it doesn't get absorbed by the intestine (and thus it doesn't make you fat).
Side effect: it's also effectively a laxative.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Omobono posted:

It's nothing.
Basic version: Olestra is an artificial fat that tastes like fat but it doesn't get absorbed by the intestine (and thus it doesn't make you fat).
Side effect: it's also effectively a laxative.

And now it's an industrial lubricant!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Condiv posted:

i've got a better idea

Having followed this research for years, no, no one is suggesting doing this as an alternative to mitigation or atmospheric carbon removal, unless they work directly for a fossil fuel company. Neither of the programs at Harvard or Yale are funded by fossil fuels. This article title is of course massively misleading clickbait.

This is envisioned as a supplemental emergency measure, but not doing the research, should stresses become so great, is a greater moral hazard than not. We've left it far too late to have that argument.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 23, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

We must all come together to do what I want.

Nurge posted:

The Piss Tapes aren't real!

Mods.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aurubin posted:

Having followed this research for years, no, no one is suggesting doing this as an alternative to mitigation or atmospheric carbon removal, unless they work directly for a fossil fuel company. Neither of the programs at Harvard or Yale are funded by fossil fuels. This article title is of course massively misleading clickbait.

This is envisioned as a supplement or an emergency measure, but not doing the research, should stresses become so great, is a greater moral hazard than not. We've left it far too late to have that argument.

so what exactly is 'dimming the sun' meant to do that won't have to be done in such a dramatic way it'll have a domino effect?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

sexpig by night posted:

so what exactly is 'dimming the sun' meant to do that won't have to be done in such a dramatic way it'll have a domino effect?

If living in the Pacific Northwest has taught me anything it's that the reduced sunlight is going to make us all very crazy very quickly.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Condiv posted:

i've got a better idea

Hey I remember how this ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFjAkAs_q4

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

We're at the part of the sci-fi novel where human hubris has led to a major global problem and the humans attempt some half-rear end poorly thought out "fix" that sets up our heroes for their arcs in the next part of the story arch.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh yeah atmospheric aerosols have been considered to be an emergency measure for a long time. I've also heard that we've gotten artificial trees up to snuff so we might start seeing those be deployed as well.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

they're just looking to finally create that giant solar lens with which to shoot deadly beams of light down on the nerds that bullied them in high school

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

thegalagakid posted:

We're at the part of the sci-fi novel where human hubris has led to a major global problem and the humans attempt some half-rear end poorly thought out "fix" that sets up our heroes for their arcs in the next part of the story arch.

What if we have several, God doesn't select B plots!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Mount Pintuabo in the 80's put about 8 million tons of sulfur in the stratosphere, with the only real adverse affect being slightly reduced perception. Mount Tambora in the 1800's probably put about 3 times that amount, and that was called the year without a summer. The point is that scale and deployment of the aerosol, as well as the type of aerosol used, can maximize the good effects while minimizing the bad. It's not a panacea, temperatures would still be comparably warmer in the Arctic, but still much colder. In addition percipitation rates would be affected, but the irony is that in many places this would be a reversion to the mean. There's a myriad of other things, but I'm writing a lot here.

Aerosol injection models suggest about 400,000 tons yearly to deal with ~a degree of warming. There's also marine cloud brightening, but that's less studied.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

RuanGacho posted:

We're probably closer to having the ability to do that than what they're suggesting, too.

quote:

Despite the technology being undeveloped and with no existing aircraft suitable for adaptation, the researchers say that "developing a new, purpose-built tanker with substantial payload capabilities would neither be technologically difficult nor prohibitively expensive."
They estimate the total cost of launching a hypothetical system in 15 years' time at around $3.5 billion, with running costs of $2.25 billion a year over a 15-year period.

I feel like "developing a new, purpose-built tanker with substantial payload capabilities would neither be technologically difficult nor prohibitively expensive." may be optimistic seeing as how the capabilities they're talking about include deploying the stuff 12 miles up.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

This sounds like the backstory that would play during the opening credits of one of those post-apocalyptic movies that explains why everything is a barren wasteland and most of the people are dead.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Your Taint posted:

This sounds like the backstory that would play during the opening credits of one of those post-apocalyptic movies that explains why everything is a barren wasteland and most of the people are dead.

This is basically the opening deposition dump of Snow piercer.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen more references to it on Twitter.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ummel posted:

kids r dum

This one time not at Bonnaroo, some kids where imprisoned and desperate, so they did the most effective thing they could to escape, and caused no permanent harm.

Kids seem pretty smart to me buddy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Condiv posted:

i've got a better idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Qdx3Vy6vc

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

RasperFat posted:

This is basically the opening deposition dump of Snow piercer.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen more references to it on Twitter.

It wouldn't actually be hard to bring the earth back to the Palezoic snowball state, you basically need an 8 fold decrease of radiative forcing, that's the energy absorbed as opposed to reflected back to space, to do it.

That said, it would take an insane amount of stratospheric aerosol injection to do that. So no, even if we do this, it wouldn't be at the scale necessary to pull a Snowpiercer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Blue Wave went sploosh.

Trump poo poo his pants.

Leftists continue to win hearts and minds.

Only a couple of years till the long darkness ends.

We will all live to see the last consetvative die of old age, alone and afraid, as a new beautiful age of left wing politics dawn.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This is my hope for the future, more than most things.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90255654/co2-sucking-factories-could-anchor-a-new-clean-economy

I'm particularly hopeful the company this article briefly mentions, C2CNT, works out. Replacing steel and aluminum with cheap, atmospheric co2 derived carbon fiber could change the world like the bessemer process did for industrial steel production.

Direct air capture of co2 into buildable materials and other products, biochar for soil restoration and carbon sequestration, and of course the switch to zero emission power sources. That's what I want from a Green New Deal.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

loving hell, this is Trump doctrine laundered through decorum.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am so happy she is getting poo poo on for this poo poo.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

actually i hope hillary keeps saying stupid poo poo like this, because it lowers the chances of her winning the primary in 2020

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Grapplejack posted:

Oh yeah atmospheric aerosols have been considered to be an emergency measure for a long time. I've also heard that we've gotten artificial trees up to snuff so we might start seeing those be deployed as well.

Pretty sure non-artificial trees have also been shown to be viable, perhaps more of them too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1066116263649382400

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

100% the Mnuch is gone by sun-up Tuesday.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Easy Diff posted:

100% the Mnuch is gone by sun-up Tuesday.

i bet it takes like two weeks but this is def a traditional signal he actually hates the guy and wants him fired

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Aurubin posted:

This is my hope for the future, more than most things.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90255654/co2-sucking-factories-could-anchor-a-new-clean-economy

I'm particularly hopeful the company this article briefly mentions, C2CNT, works out. Replacing steel and aluminum with cheap, atmospheric co2 derived carbon fiber could change the world like the bessemer process did for industrial steel production.

Direct air capture of co2 into buildable materials and other products, biochar for soil restoration and carbon sequestration, and of course the switch to zero emission power sources. That's what I want from a Green New Deal.

Yeah the emergence of a wildly profitable carbon-negative technology would probably be our best bet to avoid the apocalypse at this point.

e: and the best part is, when we inevitably gently caress it up and cause an ice age by pulling too much co2 out, we can just start burning coal again!!!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

eke out posted:

i bet it takes like two weeks but this is def a traditional signal he actually hates the guy and wants him fired

It's super weird that any national news show can get any senior administration official fired just by running a fluff piece about Trump wanting to fire him, followed by a piece saying people like that official more than Trump.

It's so so so easy to play our toddler president like a fiddle.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

I remember thinking how Hillary’s burning hatred of the Republicans would prevent poo poo like this :sigh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm fairly sure Trump is the actual source behind the stories, or at least approves them getting out via his sycophants. He reliably responds to them even if the story is just a minor side thing in the news.

He's probably trying to change the attention back to himself because Fox and Friends is talking about AOC too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
Dimming the sun would be extremely bad because that whole photosynthesis thing kinda needs sunlight