Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Imagine actually playing one of the hot stinking trash mobile offerings over pirating an actual game from the wealth of titles NES, Snes, Genesis, GBA etc have to offer.

Oh jeez, gotta take 12 hours off again unless I open my wallet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Replacing one kind of trash with another isn't that much of an improvement.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Replacing one kind of trash with another isn't that much of an improvement.

Never had a girlfriend that plays mobile?

The rabbit hole is deep, friend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

Chivalry does first person melee well

Riddick, too. Also that weirdo source game with the freaky people in it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Never had a girlfriend that plays mobile?

The rabbit hole is deep, friend.

Telling somebody who is hooked on behavioral microtransaction machines to replace them with NES games is like telling a crack addict that they could easily switch their habit to knitting. It makes no sense

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Telling somebody who is hooked on behavioral microtransaction machines to replace them with NES games is like telling a crack addict that they could easily switch their habit to knitting. It makes no sense

they could play this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IyimnW6xtc

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Lol yeah, blowing actual money, sometimes insane amounts, on lovely mobile games is the same as getting addicted to beating an nes level/game.

Also are save states a foreign concept to you? If you're frustrated, guess what, you have control, for free!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lol yeah, blowing actual money, sometimes insane amounts, on lovely mobile games is the same as getting addicted to beating an nes level/game.

Also are save states a foreign concept to you? If you're frustrated, guess what, you have control, for free!

I guess you have a reading comprehension issue?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

He's saying that mobile games have deliberately addictive mechanics and that "just switch to this older free game" isn't a viable offer to someone in the deep throes of addiction

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i feel like my mother is going to keep playing her ipad games and that no, i am not going to be able to tempt her to instead play 20 year old emulated japanese pixel games

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I guess you have a reading comprehension issue?

I guess you have a straight up comprehension issue if you can't understand the difference between free and not free, control and no control.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mobile games and NES games share no appeal. They might as well be completely different forms of media. There is a strong dichotomy between them, and no complementarity. In other words,

QuarkJets posted:

He's saying that mobile games have deliberately addictive mechanics and that "just switch to this older free game" isn't a viable offer to someone in the deep throes of addiction

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 24, 2018

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Considering a bunch of mobile games are straight rips of previously released puzzle games for those platforms, I don't see how that would be the case.

Score the winning dunk on the next post I won't read, you're being willfully obtuse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
ok, buddy

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Considering a bunch of mobile games are straight rips of previously released puzzle games for those platforms, I don't see how that would be the case.

Score the winning dunk on the next post I won't read, you're being willfully obtuse.

Comparing games with addictive gambling elements (read: almost all mobile games) to poo poo like NES games is genius, truly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this guy is a loving moron who should take some basic literacy tests before posting again

e: sorry, not an unpopular opinion

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Hey old lady, why do you waste all that money on that slot machine when you could buy a sandwich instead?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

the purpose of a dungeon is to torture people. by this criteria Daggerfall had the best dungeons in the elder scrolls series

Squeak squeak SQUEAK, squeakysqueak

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Instead of playing mobile games just open a mutual fund. That's a much better financial decision

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I seriously can't get over how smug that guy was over being an oblivious imbecile

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I think Skyrim succeeds where Witcher 3 fails when it comes to character progression more than the emergent gameplay. In Skyrim you have many weapon types, lots of weapons and armor with meaningful enchantments, a pretty big skill tree and a fairly decent suite of spells from various schools with both combat and utility focuses. You can build your character the way you want and play the way you want. Maybe you want to be a stealth archer who uses destruction spells, you might want to be a stealth archer who summons demons , you might want to be a stealth archer who uses mind control spells or you might want to mix and match everything. The weapons don’t all feel great to use, the enchantments are frequently boring, a lot of the spells are pretty lovely and the skill tree can be downright bad sometimes, but it succeeds often enough to give you a really engaging feeling of progression. In comparison, Witcher 3 seems to put far more emphasis on your raw level in terms of how effective you are against the various creatures and the skill points and equipment seem to have fairly minimal impact on your play style.

Witcher 3 has better story content, the minute to minute gamplay is a lot better and it is a lot more polished, but the comparatively minimal character progression ends up making the game feel kinda flat for me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Elder Scrolls and the Witcher are both really boring games to talk about.

Lunar Apocalypse was the best DN3D chapter

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unpopular Videogame Opinions: Skyrim succeeds where Witcher 3 fails

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

It's basically like telling a smoker who likes menthols to chew doublemint instead

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lucid Dream posted:

You can build your character the way you want and play the way you want.

No poo poo, in The Witcher you play as Geralt

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

signalnoise posted:

No poo poo, in The Witcher you play as Geralt

I wish I could be Geralt

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would rather every RPG ever give me a defined character i can play as than give me a character creator and force me to craft a personality from a game-full of "Evil, Good, Neutral" responses. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice could easily be my favorite From Soft game for making this one single change.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I would rather every RPG ever give me a defined character i can play as than give me a character creator and force me to craft a personality from a game-full of "Evil, Good, Neutral" responses. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice could easily be my favorite From Soft game for making this one single change.

Exactly this. People seem to think that doing a blank slate custom character helps with the immersion because the character is a representation of you in the game world. But the problem is the game doesn't know who you are, so it forces the writing to treat you as generically as possible. Then you end up with stupid poo poo like NPCs coming up to you and saying "I have no idea who you are but there's this dragon nearby and maybe you could go kill it? Apparently I just give this spiel to every rando who wanders through here."

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

i don't think you "get" rpgs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Mass effect isn't an RPG cause you have to choose from like 3 distinct options as your characters foundational backstory and can't just play a space janitor or a space hobo :colbert:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

My unpopular opinion is that people are allowed to play whatever they like and it's still legitimate gaming, even addictive microtransaction games.

The world is going to end soon anyway so who cares if you like green rotting trash or grey rotting trash? It's all splitting hairs which are already growing all funky due to being ingrown anyway.

Also you can't read but everyone's on board with that one so it doesn't count.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

i don't think you "get" rpgs

computer "rpgs" were never really rpgs to begin with. Gary Gygax adapted miniature wargame rules into a storytelling game, and created the first P&P RPG. but you can't really play make believe with a computer (you can, but the computer isnt impressed). computer rpgs are all about the stats and the combat!

what we now consider and "computer rpg" (character states, experience points, turn based combat, etc) is really just the tactical wargame parts

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I have no problem with a premade character, but whether the character is premade or custom I prefer RPGs that have character progression that lets your play style significantly evolve over the course of the game. Divinity: Original Sin 2 has a handful of premade characters with great gimmicks and interesting backstories that tie into the main story in fun ways, but you also find gloves that let you teleport and you can take a skill that lets you talk to animals for information, summon totems from the ground to attack enemies or make it rain blood.

I think Geralt is a great character, but I kinda got bored of the combat after awhile because there was relatively minimal progression of your skills and abilities. CD Projekt probably made the best Witcher game that anyone could ask for, but it felt like they were a bit boxed in by the lore when it came to what they could do for character progression.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Assassins Creed is terrible every single version, there is not one single redeeming quality about these games what so ever. If you have played this game or any of its subsequent releases for more than 40 minutes you need to re-evaluate everything.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lucid Dream posted:

I have no problem with a premade character, but whether the character is premade or custom I prefer RPGs that have character progression that lets your play style significantly evolve over the course of the game. Divinity: Original Sin 2 has a handful of premade characters with great gimmicks and interesting backstories that tie into the main story in fun ways, but you also find gloves that let you teleport and you can take a skill that lets you talk to animals for information, summon totems from the ground to attack enemies or make it rain blood.

I think Geralt is a great character, but I kinda got bored of the combat after awhile because there was relatively minimal progression of your skills and abilities. CD Projekt probably made the best Witcher game that anyone could ask for, but it felt like they were a bit boxed in by the lore when it came to what they could do for character progression.

That's cool and all but they're fundamentally different styles and if Witcher 3 had Skyrim's character progression it would have been a worse game for it because it's entirely wrong for the character

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hako posted:

Assassins Creed is terrible every single version, there is not one single redeeming quality about these games what so ever. If you have played this game or any of its subsequent releases for more than 40 minutes you need to re-evaluate everything.

they're actually mostly ok if a little generic, but everyone's opionion is valid even the dumb retardeed ones so blessings on you friend

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Actually AC4 black flag is really loving good and AC whiners who havent played since ac2 or 3 really have no idea. The series immediately went vack to being mediocre afterwards but ac4 is the best video game pirate simulator that's ever been put on the market.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

Actually AC4 black flag is really loving good and AC whiners who havent played since ac2 or 3 really have no idea. The series immediately went vack to being mediocre afterwards but ac4 is the best video game pirate simulator that's ever been put on the market.

syndicate is solid, and origins is good. I've heard good things about odyssey. The only truly wildly terrible ones are 3 and maybe 1 and unity, idk.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Assassin's Creed isn't so much terrible as it is the video game equivalent of buying a book of word search puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

basic hitler posted:

It sounds like they should have just stuck to making pirate games rather than assassin games.