Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Amppelix posted:

Dark infusion offers the best possible damage for minmaxing purposes. Other than that it could be worth it depending on your stats. Some weapons respond better to infusions than others so you can experiment with that and see if the numbers go high enough for your liking. For example the Astora Greatsword gets an A or S scaling in any element you give it which is pretty drat good.

Which weapons are best for elemental infusion? I remembered vaguely that the Astora Greatsword has excellent elemental scaling, but are there any other notables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does a riposte that you get from parrying do the same damage as a riposte you get from a shield break.

Yes.

Zeerust posted:

Which weapons are best for elemental infusion? I remembered vaguely that the Astora Greatsword has excellent elemental scaling, but are there any other notables?

Saint Bident and the standard Longsword are great for infusions. Use this calculator for all your needs.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 16, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The curved greatswords tend to be really good for infusions across the board. Lothric Knight gs is good too.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Seconding LKGS, but it's good with blessed, too. The charged 2hr2 poke often knocks chufty boys like silver knights on their asess, and the weapon art flips those annoying casters in DLC2

Every time I try to make a faith build I just end up being a paladin, but that's DS3 for you. If only sunlight spear (which doesn't have the melee range restriction) was earlier than soul of cinder, and cost less FP

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The general rule for 'is this infusion good for my build' in DS3 is "don't gently caress up your scaling too bad." Anything that gets to double dip into a stat for damage off an infusion like Bident, LKGS, Dragonslayer Axe, etc, is usually a great choice.

Non-scaling infusions are better this time around then previous too, so you can actual get decent mileage out of a Fire Dagger for (literally) explosive crits even without any stat investment.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 17, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It has been months and months since I've played DS3, so I could very well be in the wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Sunlight Spear still has the extra melee range damage.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
was there ever released an ultimate edition with all the dlc or is fresh dlc still being made or what

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Addamere posted:

was there ever released an ultimate edition with all the dlc or is fresh dlc still being made or what

Yep, there is now a complete edition as the dlc is all done. It has a different name between the physical and digital releases and I can remember neither

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yep, there is now a complete edition as the dlc is all done. It has a different name between the physical and digital releases and I can remember neither

cool, will give it a look next time there is a steam sale - thanks!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I am having a good chuckle by mad spirit invading in Lothric Castle with the Millwood Greatbow and just sniping the host and/or their phantoms with exploding lances.

Anyone dying gets me my shackle, and if they get too close I just apply the Borthammer

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Archenteron posted:

I am having a good chuckle by mad spirit invading in Lothric Castle with the Millwood Greatbow and just sniping the host and/or their phantoms with exploding lances.

Anyone dying gets me my shackle, and if they get too close I just apply the Borthammer

Grand Archives are next I take it? Of you can get into the rafters as an invader with a great bow, it's a fiesta.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Cuchulain posted:

Grand Archives are next I take it? Of you can get into the rafters as an invader with a great bow, it's a fiesta.

Unfortunately not because From decided to railroad me into killing Yhorm before I can get in there!

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Addamere posted:

The Fire Fades Edition is the complete version with both DLCs.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How much does the carthus flamesword pyromancy benefit from upgraded flames and stats? I picked it up as basically a freebie for the knight start but I’m not entirely sure if I should invest in the flame.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It adds 81% of your spell buff stat, which is based on your flame level, intelligence, and faith. There's no reason to not upgrade the flame at the very least.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

You should have enough regular/large titanite shards to easily get the flame to at least +6 without sacrificing anything, so why not.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BioThermo posted:

The Fire Fades Edition is the complete version with both DLCs.

Thanks!

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Fister Roboto posted:

It adds 81% of your spell buff stat, which is based on your flame level, intelligence, and faith. There's no reason to not upgrade the flame at the very least.

To add to this, pyromancy has weird scaling to the point where investing in faith doesn't really do anything unless you are over a certain INT breakpoint (22 withat an unupgraded pyro flame)
I'm actually not sure if this applies to carthus flame arc, but if you're gonna be using pyromancies it's something to keep in mind.

Some reddit post posted:

Pyromancy Flame+0 int floor 22

Pyromancy Flame+3 int floor 20

Pyromancy Flame+10 int floor 18

White Hair Talisman+5 int floor > 25 < 30

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I misread you, the Fire Fades is the physical copy for PS4 and XbOne, and is running at ~$20. Steam complete edition is "Deluxe Edition," and is basically the original cost of DS3 and both DLC minus $5, so ~$85.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BioThermo posted:

I misread you, the Fire Fades is the physical copy for PS4 and XbOne, and is running at ~$20. Steam complete edition is "Deluxe Edition," and is basically the original cost of DS3 and both DLC minus $5, so ~$85.

whoa that sucks

deffo waiting for a steam sale, cripes

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've still got a steam copy of DS3 and the first DLC from a humble monthly wayyy back that I don't need. Want it?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I'm going to start playing this, are sstb still godly? I played 1h/shield dark souls, magic dark souls 2 - will probably go pyro/sstb this version.

What's a good alternative to Demon's Scar (since I don't have that dlc).

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

I've still got a steam copy of DS3 and the first DLC from a humble monthly wayyy back that I don't need. Want it?

Sure! Shoot me a PM. :)

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

JadaX posted:

I'm going to start playing this, are sstb still godly? I played 1h/shield dark souls, magic dark souls 2 - will probably go pyro/sstb this version.

What's a good alternative to Demon's Scar (since I don't have that dlc).

Sharp infused Sellswords is good for pve.

Alternative in what way, as a Pyro catalyst or curved sword? I don't think there are any other pyro catalysts outside of Ashes of Ariandel, but the Pontiff Knight curved sword is the usual meta for curved swords.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Btw after having played all all this game I can safely (and randomly) say I dont mind the multi-stage bosses at all and Friede is probably my favorite too.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
The fake-out in that fight melted my face. Then melted my guy.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Laminator posted:

Sharp infused Sellswords is good for pve.

Alternative in what way, as a Pyro catalyst or curved sword? I don't think there are any other pyro catalysts outside of Ashes of Ariandel, but the Pontiff Knight curved sword is the usual meta for curved swords.

Tbh I don't even know what the build is, I assume it's built around Demon's Scar - which I can't get.

I just wanted to run a strong build this game since the first two I've run my own, and at times have been frustrated at how squishy/slow it has been.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, here's a strong build in DS3: pick Knight. Level vigor, vitality and endurance to start with. Make your longsword raw at the earliest convenience and continue leveling end and vig until you feel comfortable with them (which should be somewhere around 40 both). Now (which should be more than halfway through the game) you can actually start looking at other weapons you've acquired, and leveling your combat stats to use some of the stronger weapons and make use of scaling.

There's ds3 easy mode.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I'm heading into Ashes of Ariandel on this pyromancer build, and I'm still early enough in the game I can't get Chaos or Dark infusions - is Fire going to be the better choice out of Fire and Deep? Ariandel reads as a 'fire bad' situation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Fire and Deep are both non-scaling infusions and are going to be badly inadequate in Ariandel unless you like chipping at enemies' health bars all day.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If youre jumping to ariandel straight away when you can its a bit too advanced for you. The entrance has a message that suggests you do the place way later, like end game. I mean you can do it, but your weapon upgrades arent meant for it. Though if you know what youre doing you can just run through it and pick up some weapons there. The place contains a pretty decent pyromancer weapon but you have to be cheesy to get it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zeerust posted:

I'm heading into Ashes of Ariandel on this pyromancer build, and I'm still early enough in the game I can't get Chaos or Dark infusions - is Fire going to be the better choice out of Fire and Deep? Ariandel reads as a 'fire bad' situation.

If you can't get those infusions, you are doing Ariandel too early.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I mean, some people enjoy doing SL1 runs and so on.

If that's the kind of thing you're going for, it looks like Millwood Knights (who are easily the most obnoxious health piles in the Ariandel DLC) are weak to poison, dark, and frost. Friede herself is weak to dark, as are the Corvian Knights.

Some of the more basic enemy types are weak to fire (the tree women and Followers) but they're also not as tough to begin with, so if you're just going to use one weapon, and it can ONLY be either Fire or Deep, Deep would be the way to go.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I tried SL1 runs on DS3 but with the faster combat and higher damage taken overall is a bitch compared to SL1 runs on DS1. It also helped that in DS1 pyro was really strong without any stat involved so fights like 4 kings weren't as hard.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Sl1 is barely a challenge run in DS1 because stacking spell buffs and casting pyromancies is one of the most optimal ways to beat almost every boss

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

If you can't get those infusions, you are doing Ariandel too early.

I compulsively try to complete content the second it becomes available. I went into Ariandel the first time round with a +3 Claymore and clawed my way all the way to Friede. I'm actually kind of struggling with this INT/FTH build though so I'm going to leave it until my combat options aren't cobbled together from whatever I can make work at the moment. I'm tempted to sack it off entirely and go back to the comforting familiarity of a solid Strength or Quality build.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 23, 2018

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what other games have the same “world is dying” dystopian malaise aesthetic as DS3?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

what other games have the same “world is dying” dystopian malaise aesthetic as DS3?

Hollow Knight, although it's obviously and directly inspired by the Dark Souls aesthetic.

Hyper Light Drifter for something a little further afield.

The Void, for something that plays absolutely nothing alike. You play a disembodied spirit that has to grow and harvest color in order to avoid starving to death, but every drop of color you extract brings the whole world that much closer to dying. (There's lots of other stuff going on too, but you really want to go into this one unspoiled.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Void rules, 100% play The Void.

You're not disembodied though, just translucent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

The Void rules, 100% play The Void.

You're not disembodied though, just translucent

Well, let me take a moment to justify that word choice.

The Void posits the existence of a hierarchical chain of existences, each suspended from the next one up. As the lowest one dies, the next one becomes the lowest on the chain, perhaps with something from the previous existence escaping and uniting with the world above, or perhaps not. The protagonist in The Void is implied to be the player's (literally you, at the PC) spirit or conscience, engaging with the game world and taking some insight or aesthetic / moral lesson from it, but ultimately moving on with your life because it's just a game.