Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

93 yard playoff hole repeated until somebody wins, nice.

And it's night golf!

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

This has been fun as hell to watch. I’ve been at a bar for the last 4 hours and the entire bar has loved it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Tiger 12 yards long on a 93 yard shot and they're blaming the grass when he was hitting off a tee and hitting ball first....

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
this is fun and all but why does it sound like eraserhead

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The announcing is terrible. Just mic up tiger and phil. Please, mention the purse again.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

torgeaux posted:

The announcing is terrible. Just mic up tiger and phil. Please, mention the purse again.

9 mil to bang it in!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Haha Phil sucks

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Suprfli6 posted:

Wow I would have made Phil try that birdie putt on 18. Playoff here we come!

paid off, Phil just gave him a 6 foot gimme

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Tiger tees that ball up so high for a lob/sand wedge, goddamn.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
why do they keep teeing up a 90 yard shot

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
goddamn those shots

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

why do they keep teeing up a 90 yard shot

They played 18 over one time and now it's the same 93 yard shot until somebody wins the hole.

Birdie-Birdie this time around would be sweet. Phil's is basically a gimme.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zoom out...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
they should have both given it and teed off again lol

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Suprfli6 posted:

They played 18 over one time and now it's the same 93 yard shot until somebody wins the hole.

Birdie-Birdie this time around would be sweet. Phil's is basically a gimme.

i get it. i mean the tee.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat, if he's smart, Phil will put that money directly into Iraqi dinars and sit tight for the RV

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

i get it. i mean the tee.

The vast majority of pros tee up all their par three shots. Prevents any grass/dirt from affecting contact and messing with your spin or distance control.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The belt being tiger sized is hilarious.

Suprfli6 posted:

The vast majority of pros tee up all their par three shots. Prevents any grass/dirt from affecting contact and messing with your spin or distance control.

I play with guys who are decent golfers (12-16 handicap or so) who won't tee it up. "I hit shots into the green from 125 yards, and it's never on a tee!"

Yeah, and I use a tee, about 1/8 of an inch off the turf so I have a perfect lie for every single shot into that short par 3. But, I always play with strangers, so it's not something you can mention, since that's rude as hell.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 24, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I play with guys who are decent golfers (12-16 handicap or so) who won't tee it up. "I hit shots into the green from 125 yards, and it's never on a tee!"

Jack Nicklaus has said that you only get 18 perfect lies in a round.

That was fun to watch, I think the production value left a lot to be desired. The camera work wasn't very good and they needed to do a lot better on the mics. People were constantly talking over each other. We also needed a lot more of the Chuck and Pat, and sometimes Sam show, those guys were great.

Definitely should have been a prop bet involving Chuck having to hit a shot and I think it should have been automatic $200k or whatever closest to the pin on all the par 3s.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don’t tee up on par 3s bc you’re used to hitting an iron off the turf. It’s less about having a “perfect” lie and more about knowing where you’re going to contact the ball on the clubface and how’s it’s going to react.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'll tee it up if it's an 8 iron or longer but every time I've teed up a wedge it always feels odd and the shot usually doesnt turn out as good as I want it to.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yes, this is the reasoning I see all the time, yet the best golfers in the world use tees on short par 3s. You dont have to raise the height of the ball in any significant way to guarantee the perfect lie.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Anybody ever compare their spin numbers on grass vs a mat with a launch monitor? I’ve seen a few articles that say hitting off a mat can produce weird spin numbers and launch angles. I was hitting some 7 irons on a GC2 and got this:

Ball speed, launch angle, and peak height all look great but those spin numbers are just ludicrously low, and I think that inflated the distance a bit and also dropped the descent angle. Normally my 7i will bounce once and stop quickly on a green but with these numbers that wouldn’t happen which really makes me question them. My 3 hybrid was spinning at around 3000 and I could get wedge shots over 10000 so it really only seemed like my regular irons were out of whack.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Maybe the monitor's settings were off? That seems really odd that a surface that you should ideally hit after the ball would impact spin rate.

In other random news, my buddy just had his first kid so I bought him one of those blue Mizuno wedges in a crazy Rock Bottom sale (had a son, lost a wedge on the course but hasn't replaced it so it's kind of fortuitous) and I'm not sure I want to give it to him lol. They're fantastic looking.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I changed the club settings to the proper ones and I know I was hitting down on the ball and making solid contact so I’m really not sure.

I do like those blue wedges, I just wish it wasn’t a finish since I don’t like the way they look after a bit of wear. I do hear those Mizunos have a more durable finish than some of the black Cleveland’s and other brands at least.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Maybe the monitor's settings were off? That seems really odd that a surface that you should ideally hit after the ball would impact spin rate.

In other random news, my buddy just had his first kid so I bought him one of those blue Mizuno wedges in a crazy Rock Bottom sale (had a son, lost a wedge on the course but hasn't replaced it so it's kind of fortuitous) and I'm not sure I want to give it to him lol. They're fantastic looking.

Wow they do look cool. I need new wedges at the moment. RIP my bank account.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Wow they do look cool. I need new wedges at the moment. RIP my bank account.

Apparently no one bought them because they have every loft and bounce available on Rock Bottom for $70 + the deals they're running. They really look incredible in person, it's not just a flat blue, it's like that weird paint Ford/DuPont put on Mustangs in the 90s.

My Scratch wedges (RIP) are probably good for another year or two since they're cast not forged but I wouldn't mind having a set of the Mizuno blue wedges. I haven't hit a shot with the club I bought my buddy but the weighting feels so good on it. The club came with a Golf Pride MultiCompound grip on it too which is nice.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I’m still using my Cleveland CBX wedges, although it’s probably time to replace my 58. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to blade wedges. I’ve felt shots that I hit way out on the toe and ended up with a draw that lost almost no distance and stayed a hell of a lot straighter than the same strike would’ve been with a Vokey. They still do great when I open them up or out of a bunker so there really isn’t a downside in my experience.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I absolutely need to play a more forgiving wedge but my wedges look so drat cool lol.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I had a Scratch gap wedge for a while too, they did make some gorgeous clubs. If there was any justice PXG would’ve gone bankrupt and Scratch would have tour players using their clubs now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I had a Scratch gap wedge for a while too, they did make some gorgeous clubs. If there was any justice PXG would’ve gone bankrupt and Scratch would have tour players using their clubs now.

I bought a Scratch gap wedge from someone here. I can't remember who but it was. I feel like it was either you or DoctaFun.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I still have mine. I almost never sell clubs, they end up being gifted to friends who want to try them or just sitting around. Seeing all the eBay/golfwrx horror stories about PayPal siding with buyers in scam cases or having to deal with returns really makes it seem not worth it trying to sell them nowadays.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Apparently no one bought them because they have every loft and bounce available on Rock Bottom for $70 + the deals they're running. They really look incredible in person, it's not just a flat blue, it's like that weird paint Ford/DuPont put on Mustangs in the 90s.

My Scratch wedges (RIP) are probably good for another year or two since they're cast not forged but I wouldn't mind having a set of the Mizuno blue wedges. I haven't hit a shot with the club I bought my buddy but the weighting feels so good on it. The club came with a Golf Pride MultiCompound grip on it too which is nice.

Yeah I've had my expensive Taylor Made TP EF Wedges a few years now and I find there's not as much check on my shots. Really not impressed with the look of most brands these days. I have Mizuno MP25 Irons which I love so this would be a nice match.

In other golf equipment recommendations I bought a few of these Puma shirts on special recently and they're great:

https://www.golfbox.com.au/apparel/puma-essential-heather-polo-peacoat/

Stretchy material, colours/designs and a good fit for me in XL.

Thanks Ricky Fowler :)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Speef says $20 polos,

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/apparel/shirts-tops/under-armour-golf-performance-polo/

That Mizuno wedge is the same price in Satin as well.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Even with exchange rate and $50 delivery I bought both the 52 & 56 degree wedges for less than my local online stores. Thanks again.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've sold a million golf clubs on Ebay since 2000 and never been boned. :colbert:

Ebay also handles the international shipping part now, so it's now much easier for Aussie's to get them, which is not surprisingly where my old Scotty Cameron and Ping putters all ended up.

Golf bags I just throw on Craigslist and meet someone at the driving range for exchange. :eek:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Well we pay a flat 10 percent tax on all overseas eBay purchases now ever since a billionaire retail & real estate mogul successfully lobbied the government. Apparently it costs more to administer than the money it collects. Sigh.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
First real "winter round" today reminded me why I love winter golf.

One, first tee time, two ball, so the round was 3 hours.
Two, my slightly limited swing due to clothing is more than made up for by the increased total distance off the tee from hard fairways.
Three, my game management is in full swing since the bunkers are mostly closed, and where not closed, hard and unraked. I am at great pains to avoid any bunkers to keep my score more honest.

I love the empty course.

edit:

Second winter round reminds me why I hate winter golf. I knew it had a chance for frost, but checking the forecast showed cloudy, with some wind, and maybe some rain early, so I figured I was ok. Then, freezing fog swept in.

The parking lot upon arrival, showing the upside:

Golf Parking by B. B., on Flickr

The practice green, fully exposed to sun, never shaded:

Putting Green by B. B., on Flickr

The driving range, also brightly sunlit almost all day:

Practice Range by B. B., on Flickr

And, finally, the tee boxes for 10 on the left, 1 on the right, along with the first part of the fairway for #1 (middle, behind the tee box for 10 is the fairway for 18)(the smoke you see past the fairway for 18 is the Coors Plant):

Tee Boxes 10 and 1 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 30, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'd love to play courses with those kind of backgrounds but living on the East Coast kinda prevents that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Sweet photos of wintry Fossil Trace. Seems like there's always wildlife on the range there. I've only played it once in a scramble. The dramatic looking elevation change makes for some goofy holes but it's a fun track. What hole's the signature par 5 out there will all the rocks near the green?

I always lose track of a course's actual routing when it's a shotgun start. I'm in Denver and play out at CommonGround mostly...it's a well designed Doak course for what it is. Not quite as pretty as Fossil but you still get some surprisingly good mountain / downtown views.

Sadly I'm 4 months into a golf hiatus because of a wrist injury. Getting an MRI next week and hoping for some sort of answer. I was supposed to play a tournament at the new TPC Colorado back in September and was bummed to miss it.