Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bill Maher is an anti-vaxxer who talks about getting high all the time yet he says it's comic books that make people dumb. I mean even if you didn't know about his rampant racism, xenophobia, and other other numerous lovely beliefs those two things right there should be enough to disqualify him on being able to say "X is the thing that makes people dumb" or even start that conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Looks like Dickie's Youtube channel got another copyright strike. One more and he's gone.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1065239289561145344?s=20

"Comics are too political!"

*reads heavy metal comic*

"Why aren't they fighting Islamic terroists?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1065239289561145344?s=20

"Comics are too political!"

*reads heavy metal comic*

"Why aren't they fighting Islamic terroists?"

I like how he keeps saying "Russian Mafia" because you can tell it's the only thing he can think of as a bad guy that is white.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Covok posted:

"B-but I hate Trump. I sued him once! I only shook the devil's hand and helped put out the redcarpet for him with ratings! I only tried to legitimize Nazi beliefs because I know the truth is in the middle. I am the good guy and the fact you hate me means you're stupid and wrong and dumb, like germ theory. I am a progressive! Ignore the fact I used to be a libertarian, which means I was a right wing poo poo head. Also ignore I changed none of my beliefs, just realized liberals like me so I became one!"

You know, only make it more annoying and smarmy with things like "So, I'm an agnostic on stopping Nazis" and "listen, even if they want to kill all non-whites, I'm white so I'm not afraid to give them a platform: we can't keep them from making money; we're capitalists first and humans second."

Liberals have also really moved further right in recent years.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

This probably counts :
https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1065667153632862208

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Still not fully up on all the scumbags, is she referring to EVS?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think it's probably Scott Kurtz. He has an active Kickstarter right now for PvP.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Squidster posted:

I think it's probably Scott Kurtz. He has an active Kickstarter right now for PvP.

Ah, thank you very much!

Dickie in panic mode!

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1065764816290222085

Edit: Knife Hands has deleted 200 videos from his channel as well.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 23, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E: Not worth it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 23, 2018

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Squidster posted:

I knew Kurtz was an rear end in a top hat but I had no idea he sucked that hard. That's extremely disappointing, I enjoy Table Titans quite a bit

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Scott Kurtz has always been an extremely bitter person that his webcomic about video games never became the massive success he clearly expected it to be and he's never been shy about lashing out at perceived slights so it sounds pretty believable to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

mallratcal posted:

Ah, thank you very much!

Dickie in panic mode!

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1065764816290222085

Edit: Knife Hands has deleted 200 videos from his channel as well.

Are these all videos that got taken down or something i don't understand what this picture means

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

site posted:

Are these all videos that got taken down or something i don't understand what this picture means

Yes, deleting videos removes the views of those videos.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Decius posted:

Yes, deleting videos removes the views of those videos.

Wow, he continues loving himself up. First off, they're Clips everywhere on the internet of those videos. So deleting the videos is not going to help his case. But, furthermore, he's deleting evidence. Which is a crime. Even in a civil case, it is a federal criminal offense to delete evidence. And since everything is digital we all know that he's doing it. He's actually getting himself into deeper legal trouble.

I'm just glad it's happening to a shitbird. So that I don't have to feel bad for his stupid rear end.

Be Nazi, Get hosed Up, Get The gently caress Out, gently caress Nazis.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

site posted:

Those views lost are from videos he has removed. He seems to average around 10k views per video so he's probably deleted 45-50 videos since the copyright strike.

Covok posted:

Wow, he continues loving himself up. First off, they're Clips everywhere on the internet of those videos. So deleting the videos is not going to help his case. But, furthermore, he's deleting evidence. Which is a crime. Even in a civil case, it is a federal criminal offense to delete evidence. And since everything is digital we all know that he's doing it. He's actually getting himself into deeper legal trouble.

I'm just glad it's happening to a shitbird. So that I don't have to feel bad for his stupid rear end.

Be Nazi, Get hosed Up, Get The gently caress Out, gently caress Nazis.

He's dumping videos in response to his youtube channel getting 2 copyright strikes. 1 more and his channel gets deleted so he's in full panic mode. He's likely not even thinking about his court case.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 23, 2018

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

E: double post :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Misgendering, dead naming, and spreading fear about protected groups are all now against Twitters rules. So get ready for some huge Twitter purges from CG dudes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Misgendering, dead naming, and spreading fear about protected groups are all now against Twitters rules. So get ready for some huge Twitter purges from CG dudes.

At the risk of being a cynic, do you actually expect Twitter, a right wing hate site, to do anything just because they put a fig leaf over their hitler stache?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Considering that I've seen screens of chuds saying Jews should be thrown in ovens and Twitter support says it doesn't break the rules long after hate speech was banned I'll believe it when I see it

CynicalThundercunt
Nov 19, 2018

X-O posted:

Bill Maher is an anti-vaxxer who talks about getting high all the time yet he says it's comic books that make people dumb. I mean even if you didn't know about his rampant racism, xenophobia, and other other numerous lovely beliefs those two things right there should be enough to disqualify him on being able to say "X is the thing that makes people dumb" or even start that conversation.

Now hold on there, what the gently caress? I vehemently disagree with Bill Maher and I honestly feel like punching him in the nuts every time I hear about him (but would never), but no beliefs should be able to "disqualify" anyone from starting any conversation or saying anything. That's hosed up and slowly drifting into fascist territory if we're "disqualifying" people from having a voice because they disagree with us.

Besides the antivaxxer part. He deserves to be punched for that one. Still shouldn't exclude him from having a voice, but...

I don't know. I'm not defending his views, beliefs or statement but even if I hate the man with a passion and hate everything he says I firmly believe in his right to say all those things I hate vehemently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you want to listen to every conspiracy theorist out there out of some misplaced sense of right and wrong you do you but I don’t think that’s workable.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

CynicalThundercunt posted:

Now hold on there, what the gently caress? I vehemently disagree with Bill Maher and I honestly feel like punching him in the nuts every time I hear about him (but would never), but no beliefs should be able to "disqualify" anyone from starting any conversation or saying anything. That's hosed up and slowly drifting into fascist territory if we're "disqualifying" people from having a voice because they disagree with us.

Besides the antivaxxer part. He deserves to be punched for that one. Still shouldn't exclude him from having a voice, but...

I don't know. I'm not defending his views, beliefs or statement but even if I hate the man with a passion and hate everything he says I firmly believe in his right to say all those things I hate vehemently.

Please clarify why the antivaxxer thing is any worse than the explicit bigotry. Or why you feel compelled to draw the particular line you're drawing, particularly where you're drawing it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Listening to conspiracy theories, anti-science, bigotry, etc. is a waste of time, distracts us from what's true, and allows empassioned idiots to spread lies.

A sad reality is truth does NOT win out. It will ALWAYS lose to a comforting lie. This is how we got anti-vaxxing as a movement, the entire American government denying the ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC FACT of climate change, and Donald Trump as President. If you wish to preserve truth you must be willing to accept that some dumbasses don't deserve a platform and don't deserve your time.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Being an anti-vaxxer is effectively advocating the 100% avoidable death of innocent children. It doesn't matter how much you think he needs a voice because of THE DISCOURSE, anything and everything he says is meaningless after that.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think bigots like Bill Maher shouldn’t be given a platform to espouse their views because he has shown how badly he has used it in the past. Like spreading hate and giving nazis a platform.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Covok posted:

A sad reality is truth does NOT win out. It will ALWAYS lose to a comforting lie. This is how we got anti-vaxxing as a movement, the entire American government denying the ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC FACT of climate change, and Donald Trump as President.

I may be more idealistic than a lot of people in similar circles, but I don't know. Anti-vaxxers are a fringe group for a reason-- it's because most people, even if they only vaguely understand how vaccination works (a boat I'm in!) accept that it works for numerous low-key empirical reasons. Trump, I reassure myself every day, lost the popular vote, badly. He doesn't speak for everyone, or even mostly everyone.

I think people can learn and change. I think people will tend towards their best selves if conditions allow it and they're placed amongst healthy and supportive structures. I think that on a whole people are kinder and smarter than they were 30 years ago in large part because the internet allows people much broader access to people from different backgrounds, with different life experiences.

What consoles me is that the totally berserk fringes of reactionary thought-- Proud Boys, MRAs, *gaters, etc.-- are a) widely recognized as both dangerous and laughable, vile shitheads all around b) fundamentally articulating positions that a few decades would have been MUCH more broadly mainstream, especially concerning "proper" gender and race roles. A large part of their violence is just a dying ideological body thrashing around in its death spasms, and as urgent as the need to proactively and assertively resist such ideologies is, it's also important to note for our own collective sanity that mass culture, as traumatically imperfect as it is, has taken already taken huge strides forward.

If you remember what comic book forums, for example, were like 10-15 years ago, it would be impossible to imagine a thread like this having the general consensus that it does. I think that's progress, minor and incremental as it is, and a tiny, tiny but personally significant sign that often when confronted with a challenging truth or a comforting lie, people can and will choose truth.

That being said, Bill Maher should be cold-cocked in the street for so much as opening his mouth to order a Jamba Juice. He's never said a worth worth saying or hearing. gently caress him and gently caress his unearned and pathetically utilized platform.

CynicalThundercunt
Nov 19, 2018

Archyduchess posted:

Please clarify why the antivaxxer thing is any worse than the explicit bigotry. Or why you feel compelled to draw the particular line you're drawing, particularly where you're drawing it.

I draw a line at anti-vaxxing because it's advocating for the death of children, explicitly, and the death of other children, not only yours. There's a line between being a total dumbass and having blood on your hands.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I draw a line at anti-vaxxing because it's advocating for the death of children, explicitly, and the death of other children, not only yours. There's a line between being a total dumbass and having blood on your hands.

Anti-vaccination rhetoric inarguably kills children needlessly and selfishly, but if you think that racism, sexism and homophobia don't have just as much blood on their hands, if not oceans more, you're being super naive.

CynicalThundercunt
Nov 19, 2018

Covok posted:

Listening to conspiracy theories, anti-science, bigotry, etc. is a waste of time, distracts us from what's true, and allows empassioned idiots to spread lies.

A sad reality is truth does NOT win out. It will ALWAYS lose to a comforting lie. This is how we got anti-vaxxing as a movement, the entire American government denying the ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC FACT of climate change, and Donald Trump as President. If you wish to preserve truth you must be willing to accept that some dumbasses don't deserve a platform and don't deserve your time.

Sorry for believing that every single person on this planet deserves to be able to speak their mind, regardless of their ideals, unless it's truly harmful (anti vax, extremely dangerous "alternative medicine", crossing the line from being a racist oval office to advocating for murder, etc). If you don't give them a platform, you not only prove the conspiracy theorists right (edit for clarification: in their minds and the minds of the readers), you also give more fuel to the fire. "Look! They don't want us spreading the truth! REEE CENSORSHIP!!!!"

I'd also say listening to conspiracy theories isn't always a waste of time; a lot of the stuff we know today about the Trump administration would have been brushed off as a "conspiracy theory" at one point. Usually you can tell instantly when one is bullshit, and when one is reasonably plausible. If anything, you don't have to listen to them, but people should be able to say them.

What do you contend is the best way to stop these harmful crimes of thought?

CynicalThundercunt fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 24, 2018

CynicalThundercunt
Nov 19, 2018

Archyduchess posted:

Anti-vaccination rhetoric inarguably kills children needlessly and selfishly, but if you think that racism, sexism and homophobia don't have just as much blood on their hands, if not oceans more, you're being super naive.

Homophobia, racism, sexism have more blood on it's hands as movements overall, but a racist rear end in a top hat saying "yeah man gently caress the blacks amiright" isn't necessarily* killing anyone. One rear end in a top hat not vaccinating their children against preventable, lethal diseases is directly putting their kids as well as all the kids they meet in harms way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

no beliefs should be able to "disqualify" anyone from starting any conversation or saying anything. That's hosed up and slowly drifting into fascist territory if we're "disqualifying" people from having a voice because they disagree with us.

gently caress off Nazi

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

So does racism, bigotry, and war advocacy which is the loving problem with the guy. Clearly you are rather, soft, on those issues.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Homophobia, racism, sexism have more blood on it's hands as movements overall, but a racist rear end in a top hat saying "yeah man gently caress the blacks amiright" isn't killing anyone. One rear end in a top hat not vaccinating their children against preventable, lethal diseases is directly putting their kids as well as all the kids they meet in harms way.

There is no :psyduck: big enough for this post.

Edit - Interesting that a "fresh" account goes straight to this thread to start arguing about how racists deserve a voice.

Roth fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 24, 2018

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

but a racist rear end in a top hat saying "yeah man gently caress the blacks amiright" isn't killing anyone.

Pardon?

CynicalThundercunt
Nov 19, 2018

hadji murad posted:

So does racism, bigotry, and war advocacy which is the loving problem with the guy. Clearly you are rather, soft, on those issues.

Racism/bigotry have blood on their hands as movements, but I doubt that some irrelevant comedian being a racist rear end in a top hat is really killing anyone, and I don't think some irrelevant comedian advocating war is really a factor in starting wars. I see issues like racism as a spectrum, not a black and white (no pun intended) view of "racist" and "not racist", and there's a big difference between genuine advocacy for nailing black people to crosses and lighting them on fire and making casual hosed up comments. Clearly you didn't read my post very well because it seems like you think I don't see a problem with the guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sorry for believing that every single person on this planet deserves to be able to speak their mind, regardless of their ideals, unless it's truly harmful (anti vax, extremely dangerous "alternative medicine", crossing the line from being a racist oval office to advocating for murder, etc). If you don't give them a platform, you not only prove the conspiracy theorists right (edit for clarification: in their minds and the minds of the readers), you also give more fuel to the fire. "Look! They don't want us spreading the truth! REEE CENSORSHIP!!!!"

I'd also say listening to conspiracy theories isn't always a waste of time; a lot of the stuff we know today about the Trump administration would have been brushed off as a "conspiracy theory" at one point. Usually you can tell instantly when one is bullshit, and when one is reasonably plausible. If anything, you don't have to listen to them, but people should be able to say them.

What do you contend is the best way to stop these harmful crimes of thought?

CynicalThundercunt
Nov 19, 2018

Roth posted:

There is no :psyduck: big enough for this post.

Edit - Interesting that a "fresh" account goes straight to this thread to start arguing about how racists deserve a voice.

Yeah, it's a new account, I'm new around here, but if you really think I'm an older member and I dumped out $10 to make an alt to voice my views you're honestly loving joking, I don't care if this gets me probated or poo poo because
A. I don't post often anyways
B. I'd prefer to voice my opinions and have people think it's some alt and get probated by a mod than sit down and not say poo poo

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Racism/bigotry have blood on their hands as movements, but I doubt that some irrelevant comedian being a racist rear end in a top hat is really killing anyone, and I don't think some irrelevant comedian advocating war is really a factor in starting wars. I see issues like racism as a spectrum, not a black and white (no pun intended) view of "racist" and "not racist", and there's a big difference between genuine advocacy for nailing black people to crosses and lighting them on fire and making casual hosed up comments. Clearly you didn't read my post very well because it seems like you think I don't see a problem with the guy.

You clearly don’t give a poo poo about things that don’t affect you which is why you support someone advocating those views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

a racist rear end in a top hat saying "yeah man gently caress the blacks amiright" isn't killing anyone

If this isn't disingenuous, it's like, Kaspar Houser levels of oblivious to the world of things and events.

Racism/bigotry have blood on their hands as movements, but I doubt that some irrelevant comedian being a racist rear end in a top hat is really killing anyone, and I don't think some irrelevant comedian advocating war is really a factor in starting wars.

Wars don't happen because armies spontaneously decide to huddle up and start fighting. In the 20th and 21st century in countries like the US they live or die off of popular mandate. Not unanimous mandate, of course, but enough. That mandate-- the belief that even if ugly or unpleasant a war is worth entering and worth remaining in-- is absolutely predicated on media messaging. In the early 2000s the war in the Middle East was absolutely and relentlessly marketed by news, pop culture, pedagogy, everything, and to say that "some irrelevant comedian" isn't, well, relevant, is staggering in the context of what the war drums during that period were like.

quote:

I see issues like racism as a spectrum, not a black and white (no pun intended) view of "racist" and "not racist", and there's a big difference between genuine advocacy for nailing black people to crosses and lighting them on fire and making casual hosed up comments.

Why? What's the difference? Again, I think education and change is possible for almost everyone, but why should any kind of racism be hand-waved away as inconsequential?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 24, 2018