Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is all very silly and I am in favor of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
And now the stunning conclusion of the dad chronicles

He's still a dick. :colbert: Though I can at least relate to his shame if I would've hit someone like Furuhashi

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hmm, maybe Fumino and Yuiga actually would make a good couple.

Dad is still a dick though. Just a tiny bit less of one now.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The reveal of Fumino's mom felt a little bit cheap, because it's like the perfect wake up call for her idiot husband. But eh. The part between her and Fumino made up for that.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The whole furniture thing was supposed to be horrifying but I kept remembering a crazy fetishist from an F Plus episode who wanted to roleplay that exact thing, so I couldn't stop laughing.

Mashima almost certainly inserted it into the story for fetish reasons, so you're not far off. He's basically the guy from the piss forest comic.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

The reveal of Fumino's mom felt a little bit cheap, because it's like the perfect wake up call for her idiot husband. But eh. The part between her and Fumino made up for that.
Yeah, the video having the exact answers needed to support Fumino and wake up the dad was a bit on-the-nose and convenient, but it was cute and the name of the star moment really hit me so I'm willing to forgive it.

I liked the dad's issues too. Obviously shame isn't a good enough reason to ignore or harass your daughter about her dreams, but I like that they didn't just brush it over or pretend it didn't happen. They can just start moving forward now.

That bit with Nariyuki and Fumino on the bench though, woof. He's had plenty of dense moments up until now, but if he managed to get through that without figuring out or feeling anything at all, then he is truly beyond help. Fumino is best, wake up sheeple

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Brought To You By posted:

Soft Metal Vampire. Going off the only description I've found and the raws; the story is about a girl who gets inadvertently pulled into a war between pure blooded vampires, a PMC headed by a group of Dhampirs, and werewolves. And all the vampires/Dhampires are periodic table elemental benders like in Seikon no Qwaser, but are just blood suckers not breast milk suckers. The main Heroine may have some significance due to her family, but overall the story focuses on the Dhampir group that takes her in after her classroom is attacked.

i wonder if this series will be full of suffering like eden

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well uh

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-23/all-rounder-meguru-hiroki-endo-ends-soft-metal-vampire-manga-in-december/.139870

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wait whoa Eden and All-Rounder Meguru are by the same dude? :psyduck:

e: I'm not sure if I'd still like Eden in 2018 as an adult, but that manga was loving crazy awesome when I was in high school

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eden is the one literally about a dick and balls cannon shooting info jizz into a wormhole vagina isn't it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Fumino is best, wake up sheeple

Among the options, she is absolutely the best, just because most of the others are either boring (Rizu and swimmer) or not serious options (teacher, short senpai).

She's also just generally pretty atypical as far as harem archetype characters go. She doesn't really fit any of the tropes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Fumino is best, wake up sheeple

As a hardcore Rizu stan I want to argue with you.

But I can't :negative: She's too strong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

Eden is the one literally about a dick and balls cannon shooting info jizz into a wormhole vagina isn't it

it's also about quantum physics

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's also about bringing characters back for the sole purpose of horrifically murdering them for basically no reason besides just because the author can

I hate eden, it's such a disappointing series, it has so much cool stuff theoretically but just flubs the landing on almost everything. and this is the series with the cyborg dog with sword-arms coming out of its back, and somehow still fucks it up. like it was so utterly despondent I knew what characters would eat it because they were too goddamn happy or life wasn't making GBS threads on them hard enough

the idea of a series set in a post-apocalypse where a large chunk of humanity got wiped out through a crystalline plague but life goes on and being set after that is a fascinating idea but man it just was not an enjoyable series all around

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 24, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Why is there a manga about a perverted Michaelangelo's David as a Japanese high schooler trying to hook up with Botticeli's The Birth of Venus

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Japan

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Angry Grimace posted:

Why is there a manga about a perverted Michaelangelo's David as a Japanese high schooler trying to hook up with Botticeli's The Birth of Venus

Why wouldn't there be?

I wonder if these sorts of mangas result from bar bets. Like one author bets another they couldn't get a manga about various anthropomorphized pasta dishes fighting cavemen in the Old West accepted for publication.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Don't worry, it's not doing very well so it won't be there very long.

Also that businessman from the future jump start got axed. I had completely forgotten about it.

Canned series from this year:
Bozebeats
Noah's Notes
Ziga
Momiji no Kisetsu (The shougi one)
Kimi wo Shinrayku Seyo! (another one you probably don't remember that was a comedy with a kid who was an alien)
Sōgō Jikan Jigyō Gaisha Daihyō Torishimariyaku Shachō Senzoku Hisho Tanaka Seiji (businessman from the future)
Alice to Taiyō (Idol series with an outgoing singer girl finding a partner in a boy who is a brilliant musician that can't perform in front of people)

There's two currently running newish series that are probably doomed, one is the David series, the other is a series about a dude who defeats people with a fighting style based around obscure facts about his particular region of Japan.

Three upcoming new Jump Starts including one called "Chainsaw Man", which apparently is by the loving Fire Punch mangaka?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 27, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Renaissance-Kun rules, super good short comedy.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The art is also perfect for the absurd comedy.

I liked the Japan one since I like Japan fun facts but I don't see it lasting long.

I was really sad to pick up last week's issue and see that Alice and Taiyo had ended. I really enjoyed the first three chapters and would have followed its tanko releases but I guess it didn't catch on. It had a really soft art style and cute characters.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Unless I'm mistaken, this year had the most cancellations of and/or moving-to-another-magazine for series than any other year for Jump.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hard to find talent when no one's making it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As much as I live with hatred in my heart for a system that canceled Love Rush, Red Sprite and Dual Arts (which had a hand in causing both Nisekoi and its abysmal low quality) sometimes, when it nukes nonsense like U19 and David-kun from space, I can’t say I’m entirely against it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Act-Age didn't get canceled and I liked the little I've read of that series. Anyways, it's just the way of the business for consumer entertainment. New network TV shows gets cancelled all the time too when they don't get high ratings, and aren't some exec's darling.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just reread Bleach because it's one of my favorite series. I still stand by the fact that it was good, if you ignore everything after defeating Aizen. Hueco Mundo and Fake Karakura aren't bad at all if you're reading them in one sitting. The pacing is not the best but cool poo poo is continually happening and all the fights are good.

The fullbring arc is less bad than I remember but it's really jarring to have a time skip with absolutely no resolution to the previous story arc. The abilities the fullbringers use are all kind of dumb and none of the fights are good at all. I didn't care about anything that was happening and the story didn't make sense within the narrative. Chad uses his pride in his skin to summon his poo poo, even though it's established he has a coin memento from his grandfather. Orihime's fairy's from her hair clip make perfect sense as a fullbring, but aren't ever explained as such. Ginjo looked really cool at the end, though.

The intro to the Quincy poo poo was cool as hell, when Soul Society is first invaded. The fights are all pretty good and getting to see Yamamoto finally do his thing was awesome. It's pretty much all down hill from there though. After that the plot is total nonsense and everything is a really obvious rear end pull that doesn't even with within the setting. Not that the setting had a lot of consistency but holy poo poo, the background of the Quincy is ludicrous. YWACH's powers are nonsensical in regards to Quincy and seem more like a fullbring, but I guess him being the son of the Soul King explains it. Even though the Soul King has been sealed in a crystal since the universe was split into hueco mundo, soul society, and real world so that doesn't make sense. Also how old are these Quincy? Bazz B and Haschwald are established as being around 1,000 years ago but are still around even though they're human. Whatever.

Aside from nonsense in the plot, hardly any fights were good with most being bad. Masque de Masculine is amazing, as is Kenpachi vs Gremmy. Komamura does cool stuff. Yachiru turns out to be Kenpachi's sword spirit even though right before that she used her own named shikai so that was dumb, but bankai Kenpachi was pretty cool. Isshin and Urahara showing up to do gently caress all at the last minute was such a weak moment. Everything was so bad. Don't reread the last arc of Bleach, maybe look at a couple cool fights.

Anyway Burn The Witch was cool and I hope Kubo does a monthly series at some point so he has time to make a quality product.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I remember reading early Bleach because I wanted to be a cool person because my other friends were getting into it and it was getting super popular. Although it had a lot more heart and earnest human emotions at the beginning, (Ichigo and his family, Orihime and her sad upbringing, goofy high school normie high school buddies, Rukia and how effed up Soul Society is) along with sick fights, I guess something felt off to me even at the peak of its popularity. I find it pretty hard to pinpoint because Soul Society Arc is considered one of the high points of Bleach and rocketed it to more popularity if I remember correctly.

Maybe it was just all the battle/sword/superpower jargon and power level things that got introduced and piled onto each other to the point where I think character arcs were buried underneath a lot of that stuff. I'm a lovely Type-Moon/Fate fan, crazy rear end superpower terminology should not phase me.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Initial Bleach was good. Everything after the Aizen reveal was incredibly stupid. With only small peaks of things being so stupid, they get fun again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my main problem with the period of bleach between the end of soul society and the beginning of the quincy thing was the shift in tone. it was dour and melodramatic, and ichigo lost most of his personality during that stretch. there were some interesting ideas but generally kubo botched the execution. the final arc was just awful from beginning to end. burn the witch reminded me more of characters I didn't like in late bleach than the parts I did like, so I'm not too keen on more from kubo at this point

tho to talk about something I do like for a second, I gave karakuri circus a try (first the anime, then started in on the manga after running out of episodes) and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. likable characters and such a weird premise for a punchmans series

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
bleach was bad

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Don't worry, it's not doing very well so it won't be there very long.

Also that businessman from the future jump start got axed. I had completely forgotten about it.

Canned series from this year:
Bozebeats
Noah's Notes
Ziga
Momiji no Kisetsu (The shougi one)
Kimi wo Shinrayku Seyo! (another one you probably don't remember that was a comedy with a kid who was an alien)
Sōgō Jikan Jigyō Gaisha Daihyō Torishimariyaku Shachō Senzoku Hisho Tanaka Seiji (businessman from the future)
Alice to Taiyō (Idol series with an outgoing singer girl finding a partner in a boy who is a brilliant musician that can't perform in front of people)

There's two currently running newish series that are probably doomed, one is the David series, the other is a series about a dude who defeats people with a fighting style based around obscure facts about his particular region of Japan.

Three upcoming new Jump Starts including one called "Chainsaw Man", which apparently is by the loving Fire Punch mangaka?
So many cancellations, yet somehow Memesis still exists. :psyduck:

Early Bleach was really good. Good humor, good characters fun and interesting world. (remember the Hell Gate?)

Then somehow a lot of that was lost.

It feels like Kubo had a brilliant idea for a story, but had no idea how to make it an actual story after the Aizen reveal.

I still enjoyed it though, Kubo can draw well and some of the more epic moments were suitably epic. The whole Ichigo has literally every power was sort of foreshadowed, but over such a massive period and so vaguely defined it could've been an accident.

One of the other big problems is that Kubo couldn't let anyone die. Especially the final arc suffers for this. Like Kira was half a person, but he showed up again at the end. Hitsaguya had a dramatic fight and died, only to be resurrected as a zombie, except not really now he's alive again.
The only one who didn't come back alive again was Yamamoto. (I think captain tubercolosis is also dead?)
He really should've pruned the cast on occasion. It would've added more tension.
He did at least know how to not overuse Mayuri. It was always fun when Batman showed up with insane counter measures.

I don't blame him for the pacing of the last part of the final arc, it's obviously rushed as hell to finish before the cancellation.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I liked how the last arc made no sense and just turned into Cool New Powers showcase. I still laugh about “in the future they all get married the end” like it’s Harry Potter or some poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Kenpachi and Yoruichi and Urahara is all I can really say about Bleach.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, the video having the exact answers needed to support Fumino and wake up the dad was a bit on-the-nose and convenient, but it was cute and the name of the star moment really hit me so I'm willing to forgive it.

I liked the dad's issues too. Obviously shame isn't a good enough reason to ignore or harass your daughter about her dreams, but I like that they didn't just brush it over or pretend it didn't happen. They can just start moving forward now.

That bit with Nariyuki and Fumino on the bench though, woof. He's had plenty of dense moments up until now, but if he managed to get through that without figuring out or feeling anything at all, then he is truly beyond help. Fumino is best, wake up sheeple

I think he has some totally cockamamie reason why he didn’t want to hook up with any of the girls.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The first five or so volumes of Bleach are good. Once they hit the Soul Society, it's all downhill from there.

I know a lot of people still defend the Soul Society arc and claim it only got bad after, but a lot of the problems that became emblematic of Bleach first emerged during that time frame, obscured by the novelty of it all: new characters, new plot points, a brand new location.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also as someone who's been idly following Comiq I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the ending. A lukewarm series to the bitter end.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I could not get into the Comiq at all. It had an interesting artstyle that made it feel more like a Belgian comic at times. But overall it was completely forgettable.

Speaking of forgettable, We get RWBY again! Is anyone even interested in the manga adaptation? The last one we got was a pointless mess of a series that didn't mean anything for people who do not watch the show.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Comiq was written by the Yu-gi-oh! guy and, at the end of the day, that's about all that's noteworthy about it.

It was already a pretty predictable murder mystery, only they had to throw a twist in with evidence the reader wasn't allow to know beforehand. For shame. I had moderately higher hopes for a story whose opening gambit was manga publications outsourcing assistant work to prison inmates.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Do you know, one of my college chums got me a scroll of Ichigo during a Japan trip we were taking? It was of early Ichigo, with his first uniform and sword. I still keep it around, because I quite liked that Ichigo, the one with spirit and personality and a definable goal (which was mostly to be left alone, but I could relate), before he got hollowed out into the most angsty cypher imaginable, and I just left in disappointment. Don't know how it ended... but heckuva beginning, huh?

Speaking of disappointments... is anyone following the Hinomaruzumo anime? It's a show I deeply want to like, because it's well animated and well voice acted and the action is nice, but they've just completely murdered the pacing. Like, we've already built up the five man team by episode 2, and we've crammed over 50 chapters by episode 8... I can understand wanting to get to the good parts quickly, but sacrificing all of the slower, character building moments to do that seems kinda backward to me. But then I am old, so there. At least the openings pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sem3UU-EQJs

I'm probably not supposed to talk about anime here... but I did.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I remember really enjoying the Fullbringer arc of Bleach while it was happening because it felt kinda fresh after years of people standing in the air above an empty city capped off by a couple months' worth of unsatisfying final boss fight. I remember being excited for what would happen when the one guy turned Ichigo's friends all against him and it looked like something cool was going to go down but no it turns out all the Fullbringers were just arbitrarily bad guys and then they fought and it was lame.

For me the point it officially got bad was probably when Byakuya, Kenpachi, and Mayuri showed up to save everyone's asses, further dunking every main character except Ichigo into the dirt. After that I think the sole bright spots were Ichigo and his dad training Ichigo's super ultra bankai or whatever for like 3 chapters, the beginning of the Fullbringer arc before it went to poo poo, Kenpachi vs Unohana, and the flashback where Ichigo's parents met. Everything else around that stuff was just a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I stand by the opinion that the Fullbringers would have had a much more interesting arc if it wasn't 0 to betrayal in 60 seconds. You introduce all these characters that could be fun new allies since we can't directly interact with Soul Society anymore, and Ichigo literally just got new powers and a slick new ninja style outfit when everyone heel turns on him. All you had to do was a short arc where Ichigo actually gets to do something and all these new friends get more developed, so when they actually betray him it's a million times more dramatic. You could even drop hints the whole time that maybe Xcution isn't what it seems and Ichigo keeps catching whispers from Soul Society through his badge.

But nope. None of that and all the fullbringers are never seen again. And then the Yhwach shitshow starts.