Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There is nothing more liberal than Hillary loving Clinton trying to appeal to Trump voters that are actively going to call for her treason trials and public execution come 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Pretty sure non-artificial trees have also been shown to be viable, perhaps more of them too.

Yeah, obviously you want to keep trees around, but artificial trees can hit somewhere like a metric ton of CO2 a day, and if you combine that with a good use for the carbon and enough trees we could put a significant dent in CO2 release into the atmosphere. My understanding is that we could combine that with other green initiatives and we might be able to even lower co2 in the atmosphere.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLMjHrb_w4

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Dr Christmas posted:

I remember thinking how Hillary’s burning hatred of the Republicans would prevent poo poo like this :sigh:

She definitely has a serious case of foot in mouth disease. There is a seed of truth to what she is saying, mass migrations are definitely a contributing factor in the rise of support for Fascists and authoritarians world wide, they aren't the cause but the extreme inequity that already exists leaves people feeling pressured and desperate already and watching a bunch of people who will be competing for another share of the very small pie that the rich allow to trickle down to the rest of us tends to result in people becoming more xenophobic and the willingness of authoritarians to point at those refugees and name them as the cause finds a far receptive audience than it would in a more equitable society.

I know that I'm a bit of an outlier in that I think that Hillary's heart is in the right place, she just isn't very good at reading the mood of the Democratic base and is stuck in the same 90s thinking that got Bill elected and isn't adaptable enough to "evolve".

She missed the biggest gimme of 21st century when she supported the Irag war.

I also think that she is stuck in a 1990s woman politician world where she tries to politic in a way that is focused against attacks that a woman will be less "strong" on issues like war and crime. Which sucks because the real advantage of having more diversity in places of power would be to get voices that are not so poisoned by toxic masculinity.

It's why she lost against Obama and it's why she lost to Trump and why she will not be the 2020 nominee.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I really need to buy a new mask and tubing. Mines falling apart.

My sleep apnea was cured when I lost 80 pounds, but I gained it back after Trump was elected, oops

Old post but, I've lost 132(376.6 on Dec 9 2017 to 245 pounds two days ago) pounds since December and I have gone from extreme choking sleep apnea snoring to not snoring at all. I still use my CPAP tho because I like it and I kinda can't sleep without it anymore

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Glad to see that you can push for destroying the Middle East and yelling at the refugees you created and still be considered having a good heart in the right place

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Y'all have that medal wrong. It's not saying "Led," but rather "Lead." It's about all the lead Trump is fearlessly ingesting.

Oh man, i thought this was a joke, but it actually does say that.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Don’t worry, I bet her real policy position is on her website...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crabtree posted:

There is nothing more liberal than Hillary loving Clinton trying to appeal to Trump voters that are actively going to call for her treason trials and public execution come 2020.
Look at this point they need to lock her up for like 3 days for being a goddamn moron and losing an election to Donald loving Trump

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Continues to be a weathervane

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skex posted:

She definitely has a serious case of foot in mouth disease. There is a seed of truth to what she is saying, mass migrations are definitely a contributing factor in the rise of support for Fascists and authoritarians world wide, they aren't the cause but the extreme inequity that already exists leaves people feeling pressured and desperate already and watching a bunch of people who will be competing for another share of the very small pie that the rich allow to trickle down to the rest of us tends to result in people becoming more xenophobic and the willingness of authoritarians to point at those refugees and name them as the cause finds a far receptive audience than it would in a more equitable society.

I know that I'm a bit of an outlier in that I think that Hillary's heart is in the right place, she just isn't very good at reading the mood of the Democratic base and is stuck in the same 90s thinking that got Bill elected and isn't adaptable enough to "evolve".

She missed the biggest gimme of 21st century when she supported the Irag war.

I also think that she is stuck in a 1990s woman politician world where she tries to politic in a way that is focused against attacks that a woman will be less "strong" on issues like war and crime. Which sucks because the real advantage of having more diversity in places of power would be to get voices that are not so poisoned by toxic masculinity.

It's why she lost against Obama and it's why she lost to Trump and why she will not be the 2020 nominee.

I think you miss the main problem - that instead of addressing the substantive issues that drive people towards fascism (economic insecurity, blaming some 'other' for domestic problems, a refusal to address racial tensions and inequalities), Hillary wants to use fascist means to avoid real domestic change because she is rich, all her friends are rich, they already think they are paying their fair share, and she has long since forgotten what it means to be poor and struggling to get by.

There is nothing good left there. Only a rich out of touch old idiot, marginally less evil than Trump.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look at this point they need to lock her up for like 3 days for being a goddamn moron and losing an election to Donald loving Trump

I thought being regulated to rich grandma exile was enough but, no, she apparently wants more public humiliation after 2016.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i want to marry AOC

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1066140344427925504

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crabtree posted:

I thought being regulated to rich grandma exile was enough but, no, she apparently wants more public humiliation after 2016.
The reality is, if she wants to she can never go away because she still has some influence in the party, and the Clintons as a whole still have influence.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Seriously, I want to run for office just so she'll notice me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think it's fairly telling that the people who were arguing against Condiv haven't responded to this post at all.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

FlamingLiberal posted:

The reality is, if she wants to she can never go away because she still has some influence in the party, and the Clintons as a whole still have influence.

If she actually does try to run, I hope to god its just an act to be smoke screen for whoever gets the nom and she politely bows out.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

gently caress, she burned them with a bachata. When they google it they are gonna be so tight. (let me find out)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Clinton saying that immigrants need to learn English and get in line is 100% dogwhistle language to xenophobes how do establishment Dems just ignore that poo poo?

Like if Paul Ryan gave that speech it would totally be called out for the racists dribble it is but since HRC said it they're falling all over themselves to say how smart and pragmatic it is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rscott posted:

Clinton saying that immigrants need to learn English and get in line is 100% dogwhistle language to xenophobes how do establishment Dems just ignore that poo poo?

Like if Paul Ryan gave that speech it would totally be called out for the racists dribble it is but since HRC said it they're falling all over themselves to say how smart and pragmatic it is

because establishment dems agree with it

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The song is called 'Obsession' by Aventura, and the lyric translates to:

No, no, it is not love.
What you feel is called obsession

And, yeah, AOC is the hero we need, but better than we deserve.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

You down with AOC (yeah you know me)
You down with HRC (jesus christ no)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1066148550151716864?s=20

:laffo:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
So Hillary's take away from 2016 is that she wasn't racist enough. loving sweet.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Fart City posted:

You down with AOC (yeah you know me)
You down with HRC (jesus christ no)

i finally found out what OPP meant, in 2018

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

rscott posted:

The answer is obvious.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just lock her up already Trump. That's the one campaign promise I wanted you to deliver on.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Easy Diff posted:

100% the Mnuch is gone by sun-up Tuesday.

This is disheartening because it's happening after the current season of LWT being over so we won't get more Jon Oliver takes about what a sex bomb Mnuchin is.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Skex posted:

Liberals could do every last thing the fascists claim to want regarding immigration, and all that would happen is they would train their bigotry on some other target in order to continue to justify their existence in, oh probably about as long as it takes to read one of your longer posts.

Right wingers don't actually care about immigration. They don't actually care about the jobs those immigrants are "taking" and they never have. They just hate people that aren't like them, and there will always be people who aren't like them. The correct response to their demands that we help them get their dicks hard by victimizing people, is to cut their dicks off.

(And, you know, destroy capitalism so its catastrophic and ongoing failures don't make it easier for them to do recruitment, but I digress.)

And the thing is Hillary, on some level anyway, knows this. She should certainly know that you can never concede "enough" ground to the right - they'll always demand more and more until you're dead. But she's saying this anyway because third-way liberalism has taken over her brain like it's Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 24, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

Seriously, I want to run for office just so she'll notice me.

Hey guys can we not be creeps about her she gets it literally everywhere else

Like forging a future for social democracy is gonna be hard enough, we can decide early on not to make how we discuss young women in the movement another issue on top of the already insurmountable ones we have at present

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 24, 2018

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

rscott posted:

Who is it you think is doing this because to me it looks like she’s getting called tf out. Also it must be a slow-rear end news day if (a day plus later) the thread is still on another desperate cry for relevance from the Clintons.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 24, 2018

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Go the gently caress to sleep, abuela.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Deified Data posted:

Thanks for saying this. The sentiment is exactly right.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, obviously you want to keep trees around, but artificial trees can hit somewhere like a metric ton of CO2 a day, and if you combine that with a good use for the carbon and enough trees we could put a significant dent in CO2 release into the atmosphere. My understanding is that we could combine that with other green initiatives and we might be able to even lower co2 in the atmosphere.

What is an artificial tree?

I've said this in the climate thread, but the big problem I see with any carbon capture technology is that whatever mechanism we use will inevitably require energy. So long as we are still using carbon emitting sources of energy there's probably no point in direct air capture, as the presumably carbon-neutral energy we use to fuel capture would be better spent offset some other emitting source. Until we are completely or nearly carbon neutral, there's not much point investing in capture.

This logic doesn't apply for point source capture schemes, and it doesn't mean research into the field is valuable. So long as we are still burning natural gas though I don't see any capture being applied at scale.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Thanks for saying this. The sentiment is exactly right.

I also recognize those comments were well-meaning but ultimately contribute to an atmosphere where that and more is okay and normal, when it really shouldn't be.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

A handy sized vessel burns about 25 to 30 MT (metric tons) a day, a panamax probably about 35 MT. Now that doesn't straight convert one would have to do the stoichiometry, which I can do but ehhhh.

Anyway just handy bulk carriers there are 2000 + sailing. I believe the last time I checked there were over 6000 bulk carriers of over 10000 DWT (dead weight tons) . There are also containerships, roro ship, and they aren't included in that number. Just to give a general sense of scale of the marine transportation portion of climate change.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

goethe.cx posted:

i finally found out what OPP meant, in 2018

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Like forging a future for social democracy is gonna be hard enough, we can decide early on not to make how we discuss young women in the movement another issue on top of the already insurmountable ones we have at present

I was going to post the same drat thing except less eloquently, so thanks.

There is a serious creep vibe running through some of the AOC comments here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VanSandman posted:

I think you miss the main problem - that instead of addressing the substantive issues that drive people towards fascism (economic insecurity, blaming some 'other' for domestic problems, a refusal to address racial tensions and inequalities), Hillary wants to use fascist means to avoid real domestic change because she is rich, all her friends are rich, they already think they are paying their fair share, and she has long since forgotten what it means to be poor and struggling to get by.

There is nothing good left there. Only a rich out of touch old idiot, marginally less evil than Trump.

I didn't miss anything, I just pointed out that there was a seed of truth in the assertion that climate refugees are making some people more receptive to authoritarian messages, particularly those of the Fascists.

Yes she is old and out of touch, also the assertion that was made that this is a problem that she created credits her with a hell of a lot more power than she ever had.

The difference between myself and the Dems are bad brigade is that I believe that people can be wrong without having to be malicious. And yes there is a substantive difference between the two.