Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Ah yeah that makes more sense. The keyboard for my tablet doesn't have it for some reason. I thought maybe 要不要 might be more common or the text didn't render or something.

E: oh poo poo I actually didn't notice that the quote was edited. Is it that taboo?

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He’s just messing with you. You should be able to add traditional characters to your keyboard options if you really care.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I guess I just had to update my keyboard listing but it's in bopomofo. Suppose I'm going to have to figure it out eventually. I was a little worried that the people I talk to might be too polite to let me know they've been slighted by it or find it too strange otherwise.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What OS is that? I have pinyin entry for mine. Bopomofo isn’t considered a necessary skill for everyone learning Chinese in Taiwan anyway.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Android Nougat/Samsung. There's an extra setting for pinyin, but bopomofo still shows ... after messing with it a bit, it's not as hard as I thought it would be to remeber the associated radicals anyways.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 19, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You should be able to go to Google Play and just install a new language pack.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Hope everyone enjoyed their election eve activities. Don't forget to vote for and against this long list of numbers.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

kenner116 posted:

Hope everyone enjoyed their election eve activities. Don't forget to vote for and against this long list of numbers.

I think one person who has ever posted in this thread is eligible to vote.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Maybe he was referring to how people wearing sandwich boards with whatever referendum numbers they wanted you to vote for or against were literally on every street corner last night. At least in my neighborhood.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was responding specifically to the "go vote" part because foreigners living in Taiwan having no legal political expression is a problem and has been for awhile.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I was responding specifically to the "go vote" part because foreigners living in Taiwan having no legal political expression is a problem and has been for awhile.

You can argue this is a problem but it’s also the case almost everywhere in the world.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LimburgLimbo posted:

You can argue this is a problem but it’s also the case almost everywhere in the world.

Absolutely, but seeing as how this is the Taiwan thread, I figured it was relevant to talk about it in the context of Taiwan.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
If voting is important to you then get citizenship. If you say you don’t want to because you don’t want to give up your other citizenship(s) then you’re making a conscious choice that your ability to leave the country is more important than participating in the country’s political system. Which is basically why most places don’t allow non-citizens to vote.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Maybe he was referring to how people wearing sandwich boards with whatever referendum numbers they wanted you to vote for or against were literally on every street corner last night. At least in my neighborhood.

Yesterday was the last day people are allowed to campaign for candidates; any campaigning for candidates today is actually illegal. I’m told that campaigning for things like referendums isn’t regulated like that, which explains why there were some ladies handing out “vote for hating gays” tissue packs

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The way it was explained to me, the referendums on the ballot that have a chance of passing actually like the exact opposites

Waited outside for five minutes for my wife's family to vote, they are all pro KMT for reason that still remain murky to me

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

If voting is important to you then get citizenship.

In Taiwan?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yes but also broadly speaking as most countries have no or limited voting rights for non-citizens.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Did gay marriage get one step closer to being legal?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

French Canadian posted:

No

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

French Canadian posted:

We’re one step closer to “we don’t feel like changing anything because that would require effort”

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

If voting is important to you then get citizenship. If you say you don’t want to because you don’t want to give up your other citizenship(s) then you’re making a conscious choice that your ability to leave the country is more important than participating in the country’s political system. Which is basically why most places don’t allow non-citizens to vote.

drat i am so late checking in on this thread this take got cold already gently caress

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Thinking of hitting up Taiwan for a little bit as part of a larger vacation. If I'm planning in spending a week in Taiwan, will I be fine staying based in Taipei and taking some day trips out, or should I try to split my time with somewhere else?

Also, anyone have good recommendations for interesting travel guides/books? For example, for Japan I love the d design travel series of books, which highlight a lot of really cool off the beaten path places (cool little shops, little restaurants that have existed for 200+ years, neat architecture that is off the beaten path, etc.). Would love to know if anyone knows of anything similar for Taiwan/Taipei.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Depends on the season. More people would be interested in going out to Jiufen as a day trip out of Taipei. There are enough things in Taipei where unless you're really interested in something, you could spend your entire time there.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I always book a hostel or capsule in Taipei, and maybe spend 2/3rds of my time outside Taipei. It's cheap enough that paying for a proper room elsewhere is never an issue, but I always have a place to put my stuff and sleep just in case. The trains are pretty quick and timely so you can see quite a bit in a week if you want.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's an out-there question, but does anyone remember the name of the brand of bottled water that had a promotion a few years ago where they would change the labels to different foreign languages? I remember buying a bottle that had Klingon on it once.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I booked a week long trip to Taipei on a whim and am staying in a hotel in Ximending.

Will I be able to get around only speaking English and if I'm there for 5 days, is it worth taking the HSR out of the region to other parts of the country?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

shrike82 posted:

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I booked a week long trip to Taipei on a whim and am staying in a hotel in Ximending.

Will I be able to get around only speaking English and if I'm there for 5 days, is it worth taking the HSR out of the region to other parts of the country?

Yes and depends. The HSR goes down the west coast so if you want to go see something in Taichung, Tainan, or Kaohsiung it’s your go-to, but if you only have five days you might want to spend them all in Taipei

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
You will have no problem getting around. The subway system is awesome. Ximending station is centrally located and the English signage is very good. For anywhere not reachable on subway, taxis are everywhere and cheap (you’ll need the destination address written in Chinese though, drivers generally don’t speak English). Outside of Taipei you could do a day trip to Jiufen, which has a nice (if touristy) night market and a cool mining museum nearby. Or just Danshui, which is reachable in the Taipei subway system. There’s also plenty of parks/hiking if that’s more your thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The drivers may not speak English, but if you've ever used taxis in Asia, they're probably the best outside of Japan. They're never going to refuse a fare and if you can't communicate, 90% of the time they'll whip out a cell phone and call the local taxi hotline to get an English translator for you to speak to. I've had to put up with some absolute nonsense from taxi drivers in Bangkok and Taiwan is always a breath of fresh air while I'm visiting.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Thanks - I haven't had trouble getting around on the MRT and buses so far. It feels like a retro version of Japan.

Anyway I plan to do a day trip to Jiufen.
Is it worth going to Beitou if I don't plan to actually bath in the hot springs?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

Thanks - I haven't had trouble getting around on the MRT and buses so far. It feels like a retro version of Japan.

Anyway I plan to do a day trip to Jiufen.
Is it worth going to Beitou if I don't plan to actually bath in the hot springs?
There is a hot spring museum there that's mildly interesting, but it's pretty out of the way just for that.

Bathing there was amazing, though; I've never felt so clean in my life.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Enjoyed Jiufen -incidentally was waiting at the bus stop to get a ride there but got approached by a taxi driver who gathered me and a group of other tourists in line. Took half the time for a reasonable price.

Kinda surreal to not get ripped off by a taxi driver.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

shrike82 posted:

Enjoyed Jiufen -incidentally was waiting at the bus stop to get a ride there but got approached by a taxi driver who gathered me and a group of other tourists in line. Took half the time for a reasonable price.

Kinda surreal to not get ripped off by a taxi driver.

Yeah I got that in Taroko when I was going to get on a bus to visit some places and a taxi driver took us around to different parts all day, for a really good price.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Atlas Hugged posted:

The drivers may not speak English, but if you've ever used taxis in Asia, they're probably the best outside of Japan. They're never going to refuse a fare and if you can't communicate, 90% of the time they'll whip out a cell phone and call the local taxi hotline to get an English translator for you to speak to. I've had to put up with some absolute nonsense from taxi drivers in Bangkok and Taiwan is always a breath of fresh air while I'm visiting.

Taiwanese Taxi drivers will refuse a fare if they are actually not intending to work for the day, or if you're asking for something legitimately too long for their work hours - ie they expect to work for the next 3 hours and you ask them to take you somewhere and stay there for a total of 6-7.

They will cut corners when necessary in a culturally Chinese way, but wont really put you in danger.

They tend to be very honest.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ntan1 posted:

Taiwanese Taxi drivers will refuse a fare if they are actually not intending to work for the day, or if you're asking for something legitimately too long for their work hours - ie they expect to work for the next 3 hours and you ask them to take you somewhere and stay there for a total of 6-7.

They will cut corners when necessary in a culturally Chinese way, but wont really put you in danger.

They tend to be very honest.

None of that sounds unreasonable to me and I'm comparing it to the bullshit I have to put up with in Bangkok.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
One time a taxi drove me from Miaoli to Taipei because I had work and missed the train.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Here's an out-there question, but does anyone remember the name of the brand of bottled water that had a promotion a few years ago where they would change the labels to different foreign languages? I remember buying a bottle that had Klingon on it once.

i think it was 多喝水?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So 6 months ago I talked about buying a car...well it's coming next week. And now I'm wait listed for every parking lot within a reasonable distance. Guess I get to enjoy street parking for a while.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Owning a car here would be super great most of the time, but dealing with parking alone nearly invalidates every benefit it would bring. What did you buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

At least we got the main parking around our apartment sorted out, even if it is like a 20% increase in rent. We're getting a Suzuki Ignis, hopefully on Wednesday now. Wanted a smaller car, but something we could pay in full for a new car. And Skodas had a 5 month waitlist.