Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/neilcic/status/1066040173341884416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Robindaybird posted:

While I go gather 'Hartmann is loving cray cray' resources, here's something fun:

The long thought lost film of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit ("Neck 'n' Neck") has resurfaced in Japan: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/15/disneys-lost-oswald-lucky-rabbit-movie-surfaces-japan/

EDIT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/butch-hartman-fairly-oddparents-danny-phantom-creator-scams-fans-goes-insane.57432/ I forgot about him blaming Tara Strong for another voice actor's suicide.

Pages ago but holy crap :stare: I had no idea this is who Butch is now. That sucks, I really hope all his efforts fail.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

What really gets me are the people responding to this with "it's just a rock dude". Like, the original was just a rock too, but it was a good-looking rock.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I knew that my entire perception of the live action version was gonna rest on Pride Rock. They bungled it right up.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The biggest issue for me isn't even the rock. Look at the clouds, in the original they're a gorgeous peach. In the remake they're loving grey.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

What really gets me are the people responding to this with "it's just a rock dude". Like, the original was just a rock too, but it was a good-looking rock.
Pride Rock looks great, it looks like a real stone structure.

Pigbuster posted:

The biggest issue for me isn't even the rock. Look at the clouds, in the original they're a gorgeous peach. In the remake they're loving grey.

I mean the clouds look how clouds do sometimes look with the sun shining behind them during the morning. Nimbus clouds can look grey even though the sky is yellowish/peach/etc.

Look at the outline of the clouds. The clouds are probably thick with rain.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Senior Scarybagels posted:

it looks like a real stone structure.

I mean the clouds look how clouds do

Well, exactly. It's somewhat of a let down.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the clouds and rocks shouldn't look real. they should look good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've seen some wild rocks. Makoshika, Black Hills, Kathmandu, Phuket... Lotta good rocks.

Ain't nothing in the play book say a rock can't be sheer and jagged. Or that morning clouds can't be amazing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pride Rock looks great, it looks like a real stone structure.

I mean the clouds look how clouds do sometimes look with the sun shining behind them during the morning. Nimbus clouds can look grey even though the sky is yellowish/peach/etc.

Look at the outline of the clouds. The clouds are probably thick with rain.

The animated ones look both real AND good. The two are not mutually exclusive. Yes, those clouds are grey because they’re thick with rain, but they aren’t real clouds. They didn’t have to put them there, but they did, because it didn’t occur to anyone that maybe they should not put a grey smear across the sky for no reason whatsoever.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, exactly. It's somewhat of a let down.

Yeah, that's the problem with photorealism as an end goal. Film as a whole is all about manipulating reality to achieve a desired aesthetic effect in support of a story—and as a result, making things look more real doesn't necessarily make it look better.

Like, look at the comparison. There's nothing wrong with the rock—it's a nice rock! It's very detailed, there's some nice lighting effects, it's clear the artists put a ton of time into it. But is it better than the original? Do the more realistic effects actually add anything to the scene? Is it artistically different in a meaningful way?

And if it isn't... what's the point?

Das Boo posted:

I've seen some wild rocks. Makoshika, Black Hills, Kathmandu, Phuket... Lotta good rocks.

Ain't nothing in the play book say a rock can't be sheer and jagged. Or that morning clouds can't be amazing.

I guess

technically evening clouds but you get the point

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1065747231607795712

It's not entirely fair to compare a trailer for an unfinished movie to a complete one, but it's striking how the CGI version loses so many of the artistic flourishes of the original.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
9/11 destroyed western art

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road was a masterpiece. :colbert:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
here's something interesting an Indiegogo campaign for a documentary on modern day hand drawn animation. It's fully funded already, but hasn't reached the stretch goal where they'll go to japan and france and interview animators there yet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road was a masterpiece. :colbert:

australia is south

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

australia is south

:hmmyes: Fair.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1065747231607795712

It's not entirely fair to compare a trailer for an unfinished movie to a complete one, but it's striking how the CGI version loses so many of the artistic flourishes of the original.

See it's not the same at all, in the cartoon breaks open a fruit or whatever and in the live action version he tears apart... I dunno is that saffron?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If they're shown to the public then they're probably as complete as they're gonna get.

Also, it's an entirely CGI movie. Everything we see on the frame is there by choice.

So, the team behind the original made the choice to have the opening morning sky be a deep red with an orange sun rising centre frame, while the CGI team made the choice to have the sun rise to a more golden hued morning with rain clouds shading the off centre sun in the distance. The original team made a deliberate choice to have that shot of the mountain be orange tipped at the top while purple hued at the bottom to show how huge it is, while the CGI team made the choice to have it be a little brighter at the top but all foggy and hidden below the snowline.

... yeah I think the remake looks bad, too. Beyond desaturation, it's also dulling the intent behind actions. Like, when Rafiki opens the fruit in the original, he holds it between the camera and the sun so there's a flash of sunlight between his hands as he cracks it open, almost as if he's releasing some kind of magic. In comparison, the remake has him crack some twigs instead and they kinda pop a bit with powder, but they've moved the camera to the side of his hands instead of in front so there's no sunlight flashing the screen, making the poof of powder look far less impressive. They literally took the magic away. And they did it by choice, too.

I remember not liking Jungle Book, either, because it seemed like Jon Favreau made it with the express intent of reversing everything single plot point and theme of the original movie solely for the sake of reversing them. He seems like the kinda guy who would change Mufasa's death from "Long live the king" into something that actually is Simba's fault.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a genuine case of the Batman 'everything has to be broody dark and serious and not have colour' meme, jeez. Your silly cartoons for children need to be replaced with desatured sad bad adult cartoons. In conclusion,

Pick posted:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw Ralph 1 and thought it was merely okay, but Sugar Rush as a setting was pretty boring and I walked out pretty mellow about it.

For some reason despite that I kinda wanna see 2, and trying not to mouse over spoilers here. Would anyway say the setting is more interesting or the plot? I tried to watch a couple trailers but I genuinely still don't know what the plot is even supposed to be unless it's just Ralph walking around going "haha that's twitter" "wow neat that's a candy crush" and that's it.

I just saw WR2, and it feels like the plot is more interesting, but just by a hair. In the first one, I was very interested on the whole world behind the arcade videogames and the characters. In this one, I don't feel as interested since the internet is so familiar already, so seeing representations of how websites work is not as magical. I still laughed and would see it again to catch all the references, but the plot seems more of an extension of the first one than a whole new story.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The Lion King was my favorite movie as a kid. Then as I grew up I started to be less interested in some aspects of the film...and I realized there was nothing there to replace them. As great as I still think it is, it isn’t one of those movies where Timon and Pumbaa become too childish but Simba’s story is suddenly more interesting. Beauty and the Beast could have been a good remake had they made...any good choices with it. But Lion King wears so much on its sleeve already I don’t think there’s anywhere to go with it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The new Lion King is going to end with everyone realising that divine right of kings is a dumb concept and toppling the lion aristocracy to institute a more democratic form of government.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lion King is actually a stealth Zootopia prequel.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Between this and dumbo, I’m so sick of Disney’s poo poo

can’t wait for “Mulan, but Bad”

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 24, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PenguinKnight posted:

Between this and dumbo, I’m so sick of Disney’s poo poo

I'm horrified just thinking about what they're going to do to Lilo and Stitch

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'm horrified just thinking about what they're going to do to Lilo and Stitch

I'm kind of torn on this, because while I don't want this to exist, one of the benefits of the live action films is that it actually forces them to cast people of color in roles that aren't CGI. Considering the easy success of the films I honestly actually do want to see Mulan/Lilo and Stitch/Aladdin existing because it means actors who normally wouldn't have the chance DO have the chance to headline a film that will probably gross a billion dollars. Even if on a personal level I'm like "poo poo, I don't want this."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's gonna be interesting to see how people react to Lion King cause Jungle Book at least had one human character to relate to. This time it's gonna be all anthropomorphic Nature-documentary style creature animation without any of of the exaggeration towards humans that Disney 2d could get away with. I dunno if I'll connect to that kind of character.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

PenguinKnight posted:

Mulan at least is a way better candidate for a live-action remake than at least most of Disney's major animated films. The only meaningful non-human character is Mushu, and the fantasy elements in general are given relatively little emphasis.

Meanwhile, the sequel to the Jungle Book remake - the upcoming live-action remake most likely to not suck - still hasn't received an official release date, nor any real news since January.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cockmaster posted:

Mulan at least is a way better candidate for a live-action remake than at least most of Disney's major animated films. The only meaningful non-human character is Mushu, and the fantasy elements in general are given relatively little emphasis.

Meanwhile, the sequel to the Jungle Book remake - the upcoming live-action remake most likely to not suck - still hasn't received an official release date, nor any real news since January.

I want the huns to win.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ccs posted:

It's gonna be interesting to see how people react to Lion King cause Jungle Book at least had one human character to relate to. This time it's gonna be all anthropomorphic Nature-documentary style creature animation without any of of the exaggeration towards humans that Disney 2d could get away with.

What makes you think people wouldn't empathise with a bunch of cute animals? We go nuts for them.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If anything we tend to care more for critters.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of torn on this, because while I don't want this to exist, one of the benefits of the live action films is that it actually forces them to cast people of color in roles that aren't CGI. Considering the easy success of the films I honestly actually do want to see Mulan/Lilo and Stitch/Aladdin existing because it means actors who normally wouldn't have the chance DO have the chance to headline a film that will probably gross a billion dollars. Even if on a personal level I'm like "poo poo, I don't want this."

I have some bad news for you, friend.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/disney-aladdin-skin-darkening_us_5a54e36fe4b003133eccb275

Racism runs so deep Disney would rather hire white people with brownface than brown people.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jesus christ hollywood. Wasn't it bad enough they attempted to Yellowface Scajo (then abandoned because 'it didn't look good')

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Robindaybird posted:

Jesus christ hollywood. Wasn't it bad enough they attempted to Yellowface Scajo (then abandoned because 'it didn't look good')

They also tried transwoman Scarjo but abandoned that as well because holy poo poo Hollywood stop trying to stuff Scarjo into minority roles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/disney-aladdin-skin-darkening_us_5a54e36fe4b003133eccb275

Racism runs so deep Disney would rather hire white people with brownface than brown people.

WELP.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to that dreadful Prince of Persia movie.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Cockmaster posted:

Despite the fact that Mulan seemingly is a simple movie to adapt to live action, it's projected to cost 300 million dollars, far more than any other live action remake (and only topped by 2 PoTC movies and Avengers 2 and 3, in terms of all-time highest budgets). The cost seems to largely be on constructing massive sets, which gives me a Cleopatra vibe.

https://movieweb.com/disney-mulan-remake-live-action-budget-300-million-dollars/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I liked that Prince of Persia movie :shrug:

So I suppose take my liking of Wreck-It Ralph 2 with a grain of salt, but yeah, I thought it was solid, if not particularly necessary. I was mostly annoyed by the fact that eBay auctions do not work like that - they'd just be listing maximum bids, not literal bids) than anything else. I might like it more than the original film, though that's mostly because I find the Internet (and, by extension, Slaughter Race) a more interesting location to spend a large chunk of your film's runtime in than Sugar Rush was.

Also the sole song was very good. Alan Menken, huh.