Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Peacoffee posted:

Yeah I feel kinda like a shill for them about it but I guess I was surprised by both the quality of the game and the pokeball. Didn’t pay attention to it and in fact was sad when I heard the pokemon game announced was this one, but I’m feeling that “new pokemon game” feeling and I guess that’s what I really wanted from this.

For the record, there is still going to be a new mainline pokemon game on the switch. That’s also a thing. LGPE is a seperate thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was surprised how good the game was, too. I wasn't excited about any of the changes re: held items and ESPECIALLY abilities, but the game is better than replaying Fire Red on an emulator, which I'm never going to do again because this is now the definitive Kanto game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I named my Arbok Francesca because I didn't know what to call it and it kind of stuck.

I named my Eevee Lovee :3:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I was surprised how good the game was, too. I wasn't excited about any of the changes re: held items and ESPECIALLY abilities, but the game is better than replaying Fire Red on an emulator, which I'm never going to do again because this is now the definitive Kanto game.
What about the, uh, sevii islands! Think about all the exciting content you're missing!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i'd be fine with dropping held items and abilities if they also made natures not affect stats, that's by far the most annoying of the three yet the only one they kept for this game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Raserys posted:

i'd be fine with dropping held items and abilities if they also made natures not affect stats, that's by far the most annoying of the three yet the only one they kept for this game

I do wish this game had Everstones because I have to manually stop my Psyduck from evolving every level now

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Macaluso posted:

I do wish this game had Everstones because I have to manually stop my Psyduck from evolving every level now

Okay yeah this one kind of sucks. Especially considering the master trainers that have level 60~ first stage pokemon, that's a lot of evolving to cancel. Granted, postgame you'll be gaining 8 levels per fight, but the slog from 35-52 on my Ponyta sucked very bad

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Finish my LGE team for me, for I am lazy and trying to use things I haven't used historically:

Eevee
Tentacruel
Rhydon
Hitmonlee (open to changing)
Nidoking

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wigglytuff

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alolan Ninetails, the best Pokemon in the game

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

X13Fen posted:

Finish my LGE team for me, for I am lazy and trying to use things I haven't used historically:

Eevee
Tentacruel
Rhydon
Nidoking

Exeggutor (either one)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

another eevee

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

X13Fen posted:

Eevee
Tentacruel
Rhydon
Nidoking

All choices above are good, but consider going for something nice and weird like Hypno or Tangela.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yo I ran out of time trying to catch Mewtwo. Can I get him to show back up or is he gone forever and I have to reset to my last save?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

SpicyMustard, Custard, Pudding, DippinDots, EverythingBagel
thank you

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I have a question about shiny pokemon that nobody may be able to answer but we're confused.

My girlfriend is obsessed with them and has found the guides that say you've got a 1-350 (or around that) chance of getting a shiny pokemon if you've got a 31+ combo. She's had that and is at route 1/route 2 trying to get a shiny Pidgey.
Around 1000 have gone by now. She hasn't caught any new ones since she hit the 31 and she sometimes has a lure on.

It's been maybe 3 hours all in all I think. The only answer I could think of is that because she's not catching new pidgeys the guys that are just flying away aren't despawning, they're hiding and it's just them going around and around and around and nothing new is spawning but that seems sort of insane.
She's also not moving much and I notice that moving causes lures to run out, but it still feels like loads of pidgeys (and others) spawn if she doesn't move anyway.

Does she need to keep catching stuff to get it to spawn or is she just super unlucky?

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 24, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

man nurse posted:

Yo I ran out of time trying to catch Mewtwo. Can I get him to show back up or is he gone forever and I have to reset to my last save?

Re run the elite 4 and Mewtwo should be available again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

You save right before you fight the legendary what are you NEW to these games

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Taear posted:

I have a question about shiny pokemon that nobody may be able to answer but we're confused.

My girlfriend is obsessed with them and has found the guides that say you've got a 1-350 (or around that) chance of getting a shiny pokemon if you've got a 31+ combo. She's had that and is at route 1/route 2 trying to get a shiny Pidgey.
Around 1000 have gone by now. She hasn't caught any new ones since she hit the 31 and she sometimes has a lure on.

It's been maybe 3 hours all in all I think. The only answer I could think of is that because she's not catching new pidgeys the guys that are just flying away aren't despawning, they're hiding and it's just them going around and around and around and nothing new is spawning but that seems sort of insane.
She's also not moving much and I notice that moving causes lures to run out, but it still feels like loads of pidgeys (and others) spawn if she doesn't move anyway.

Does she need to keep catching stuff to get it to spawn or is she just super unlucky?

Probability is a bastard and shiny mons are still rare. Tell her to stick with it and not give up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Alxprit posted:

Probability is a bastard and shiny mons are still rare. Tell her to stick with it and not give up.

Oh yea I just wanted to make sure she was actually doing it correctly, that's the thing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest dick move of this game is motion controls freaking out and thinking a slightly higher straight throw must have been completely to the right or the left.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Taear posted:

If the odds are indeed 1:350, there is a 5.6% chance of not finding anything in 1000 tries. So that's somewhat unlucky, but it would happen in about 1 in 18 shiny hunting attempts I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Entropist posted:

If the odds are indeed 1:350, there is a 5.6% chance of not finding anything in 1000 tries. So that's somewhat unlucky, but it would happen in about 1 in 18 shiny hunting attempts I guess.

Yea I mean I'm not saying it's unusual I'm just worried that it's not the right way of doing it, that's all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taear posted:

Yea I mean I'm not saying it's unusual I'm just worried that it's not the right way of doing it, that's all.

If all she cares is shinies then all she needs is that 31 chain and a lure for a 1 in 315 chance of seeing one. There is an additional item (shiny charm) that you get for completing the Dex. With it and a lure the odds are 1 in 273

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

To complete the dex for the shiny charm, do you need Mew or the Meltan line? Cause I didn't get the pokeball controller, and gently caress grinding 400 meltan candies in Go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You definitely don't need mew, you probably don't need Meltan

You don't need Mythical(read: event distribution only) Pokemon for Dex completion.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If all she cares is shinies then all she needs is that 31 chain and a lure for a 1 in 315 chance of seeing one. There is an additional item (shiny charm) that you get for completing the Dex. With it and a lure the odds are 1 in 273

Yea I know the odds, that's good. As long as she's not missing out because she's just standing waiting for stuff to spawn.
That's all I wanted to know. I get how it works just not if to clear the spawn table you have to actually bump into the things and not let them despawn on their own like I mentioned.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can you get the other fossil Pokemon besides trading? Do they spawn somewhere else like how Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee do

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

X13Fen posted:

Eevee
Tentacruel
Rhydon
Nidoking
What if i told you that people who use only six pokemon on their team are weak

Seriously, ever since the exp share buff in gen 6 it's been so easy to use a rotating team of ten or more, and it's so much more interesting. Why limit yourself to party you decide upon before you even try it out?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My wife insisted on buying mew.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Macaluso posted:

Can you get the other fossil Pokemon besides trading? Do they spawn somewhere else like how Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee do

They don’t spawn anywhere but you can get more fossils. There’s a large crystal formation on the second floor of cerulean cave that can have one of the three fossils or a max revive as hidden items, you can manipulate which item you get by doing soft resets, and the item respawns after a few hours.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Amppelix posted:

What if i told you that people who use only six pokemon on their team are weak

Seriously, ever since the exp share buff in gen 6 it's been so easy to use a rotating team of ten or more, and it's so much more interesting. Why limit yourself to party you decide upon before you even try it out?

It's faff changing stuff over when you can just use the same 6.
Especially when the game is so easy!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

I'm told you can get more fossils (one a day) from Cerulean cave in the post game. Haven't beaten game so I can't verify this, however.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/fawnshh/status/1065724274823110656

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1066058393448824832

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pikachu is definitely a little bitch

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

Pikachu is definitely a little bitch

:hai:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Taear posted:

It's faff changing stuff over when you can just use the same 6.
Especially when the game is so easy!
The game wouldn't be so easy if you spread your EXP around!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Being able to go through caves while not getting stopped every 2 seconds by random battles is the absolute best poo poo and it better carry over into the next main series game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Being able to go through caves while not getting stopped every 2 seconds by random battles is the absolute best poo poo and it better carry over into the next main series game

Yeah to be 100% honest if the next Pokemon game goes back to random battles it's gonna be unironically the biggest step backwards in the franchise. It is such an improvement.

I mean I know Pokemon is built on ignoring nice improvements but damned if the idea of going back to the old method kills any interest I might have. (I wouldn't mind traditional battles coming back over GO mechanics though.)