Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

Me before Ultimate Chicken Horse: :shrug:

Me after Ultimate Chicken Horse: DEATH DEATHHHHHHHH I loving LOVE DEATHHHH

Currently destroying extended family in UCH. It’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I dont have it yet but after playing it 4 player im sold. Brilliant idea for a game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nodosaur posted:

New characters coming to Mario Tennis Aces.

Luma and Pauline weren't in the datamine.

Playable Pauline. gently caress yeah.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Housh posted:

Hi dear friends. What is the best controller setup for Smash bros on Switch for my little nephews? They all would play on Wii U with the classic and pro controllers and like those.

Thanks in advance!

Switch Pro Controllers are nice and the closest equivalent, but expensive. Cheaper, but requiring an adjustment period, would be to get new GameCube controllers and the adapter - which will get you two controllers and the adapter for less than the Pro costs. Plus, the kids'll learn to use the best controller for taking part in the competitive scene.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
For chargers you need something with usb C Power Delivery most phone banks do not have enough amps or whatever for that. I have an Anker and recommend it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ok, so what the gently caress, Starlink is actually good and not terrible?

So I decided to try it out because, hell, it came with the Arwing. I was thinking, I'll just go through the game with the Arwing and pretend it's a Starfox game since the Arwing and Fox are probably just cosmetic items. Well, no, Fox is actually part of the story as is Falco, Slippy and Peppy and are even in the prerendered FMVs. What? Oh and during the game they actually talk to the other characters and such. I didn't expect this poo poo at all.

Oh, and there's loving 2 player, splitscreen couch co-op. This game is a huge surprise for someone that was just looking to buy a loving toy. OH, and there's a blue light in the engine of the Arwing figure when it's on the Starlink Joycon dock.

And the gameplay is actually pretty fun, it's like... an open world/space title that reminds me of No Man's Sky, but there's good combat and you don't leave the ship. The combat feels like a Starfox game. This basically is a Starfox game, and probably one of the better ones since 64.

I'm baffled.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s great to hear. I have the $35 set coming and I’m looking forward to all the Star Fox stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So the first good Starfox game isn't even a Starfox game?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I feel bad that my gamble to wait on Starlink until it inevitably crashed in price seems to have paid off with how it seems like it...well crashed in price and I don't see it going back up to full price once the holiday season is over.

Like you get the game and ancillary stuff for cheap, but then you feel bad because you know there probably ain't no sequel coming for this thing any time soon. It's probably a one and done deal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I feel bad that my gamble to wait on Starlink until it inevitably crashed in price seems to have paid off with how it seems like it...well crashed in price and I don't see it going back up to full price once the holiday season is over.

Like you get the game and ancillary stuff for cheap, but then you feel bad because you know there probably ain't no sequel coming for this thing any time soon. It's probably a one and done deal.

I bet the game sold much better on Switch than other platforms so maybe a Switch exclusive sequel would be less of a risk for them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I decided to try it out because, hell, it came with the Arwing. I was thinking, I'll just go through the game with the Arwing and pretend it's a Starfox game since the Arwing and Fox are probably just cosmetic items. Well, no, Fox is actually part of the story as is Falco, Slippy and Peppy and are even in the prerendered FMVs. What? Oh and during the game they actually talk to the other characters and such. I didn't expect this poo poo at all.

Oh, and there's loving 2 player, splitscreen couch co-op. This game is a huge surprise for someone that was just looking to buy a loving toy. OH, and there's a blue light in the engine of the Arwing figure when it's on the Starlink Joycon dock.

And the gameplay is actually pretty fun, it's like... an open world/space title that reminds me of No Man's Sky, but there's good combat and you don't leave the ship. The combat feels like a Starfox game. This basically is a Starfox game, and probably one of the better ones since 64.

I'm baffled.

Do I have to buy the toys and poo poo? Like, if I want to just play the game with an Arwing, can I just get the edition that's on sale at Best Buy or do I have to get the super deluxe edition or the toys or whatever?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They probably shouldn't have made it a toys to life game, considering that the entire genre collapsed like two years ago.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do I have to buy the toys and poo poo? Like, if I want to just play the game with an Arwing, can I just get the edition that's on sale at Best Buy or do I have to get the super deluxe edition or the toys or whatever?

there's a digital version with all the ships, including the arwing, on the switch eshop. but you can't buy the physical version with the arwing and like buy a digital upgrade

they're both full priced options

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have no clue, so far the only things I've been able to use are the toys that came with the set, but I'm less than an hour in. I want to say you can find the rest of the stuff in-game or in the Ultimate edition, whatever that comes with.

I really hope there isn't poo poo gated behind the toys.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SeANMcBAY posted:

I bet the game sold much better on Switch than other platforms so maybe a Switch exclusive sequel would be less of a risk for them.

Hopefully Nintendo can licence the engine or colde or something and make a legit Star Fox game from ot

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just got into a space battle and the Corneria theme from Starfox SNES started to play. Niiiice.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

s.i.r.e. posted:

I just got into a space battle and the Corneria theme from Starfox SNES started to play. Niiiice.

Happens every time you use Fox's special move, it's great.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm baffled.

I've been saying it's underrated for a while. It actually is a pretty good game, depending on how your tastes run

edit: Digital standard version comes with all ships except the Nadir and most pilots and weapons, it's more than enough to be getting on with. The Nadir is pretty cool though, it's super fast.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 24, 2018

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

In the past 15 minutes my crusader got a flail that makes blessed hammer do 2x damage and doubles its attack speed and one that makes the shield throw take no wrath and increases its damage by 3xx percent

Diablo legendaries are so weird and awesome. Id forgotten how much I like it

E: aaaaand there’s the sweep attack shield to go with my sweep attack flail. Jeeze, my necromancer got like one cool necromancer-specific legendary weapon. The RNG is being much nicer for crusader 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 24, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

In the past 15 minutes my crusader got a flail that makes blessed hammer do 2x damage and doubles its attack speed and one that makes the shield throw take no wrath and increases its damage by 3xx percent

Diablo legendaries are so weird and awesome. Id forgotten how much I like it

and then you have set bonuses like the current season set which increases sweep attack by 3000% as well as making it swing like 200 times per second :shepface:

things rapidly go bonkers in the most insane way once you start getting these sorts of things

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I can't wait to autoattack so fast the animation starts to look like its going in reverse

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Is anyone have voice-chat problems in Warframe? I could hear my friend, but he couldn't hear me. Same problem with two different pairs of headphones, one USB and one regular headphone jack.

Imagine if Nintendo had just built in system-wide voicechat and it wasn't always a mess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE loving MOON posted:

I've been saying it's underrated for a while. It actually is a pretty good game, depending on how your tastes run

edit: Digital standard version comes with all ships except the Nadir and most pilots and weapons, it's more than enough to be getting on with. The Nadir is pretty cool though, it's super fast.

What about the physical versions? Do I just get the Arwing, 2 pilots and 2 weapons? Can I unlock the rest with normal play or is it DLC?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

What about the physical versions? Do I just get the Arwing, 2 pilots and 2 weapons? Can I unlock the rest with normal play or is it DLC?

If you get the physical version, you're locked into physical. As in, you need to have the toys to use them.

The arwing is perfectly fine on its own btw, you can use it the whole game no problem.

Edit: for purely practical purpose if I had the physical version and i was going to get one extra physical ship, id go with Neptune or Nadir. Both are tanky as gently caress.

Edit: even with access to the whole suite (basically) that you get with the digital version, you wont switch ships all the time- your pilot needs to build familiarity with it. Youll want to use 2 ships, 3 is pushing it a bit in terms of having enough xp to finish leveling by the tine you fight the final boss. Theres a postgame though so :shrug:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 24, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE loving MOON posted:

If you get the physical version, you're locked into physical. As in, you need to have the toys to use them.

The arwing is perfectly fine on its own btw, you can use it the whole game no problem.

Edit: for purely practical purpose if I had the physical version and i was going to get one extra physical ship, id go with Neptune or Nadir. Both are tanky as gently caress.

Wow that's pretty lovely. Maybe I'll just get the Ultimate Edition digitally somewhere down the line. I really don't want any more of the toys since they're not Starfox related.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Decent chance it goes on a steep discount early next year. Depends on how the toys do this holiday season, I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE loving MOON posted:

Decent chance it goes on a steep discount early next year. Depends on how the toys do this holiday season, I guess.

There's no planned additional toys, so the answer is quite probably "right into the clearance bin with the second-hand Skylanders".

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

and then you have set bonuses like the current season set which increases sweep attack by 3000% as well as making it swing like 200 times per second :shepface:

things rapidly go bonkers in the most insane way once you start getting these sorts of things

My regret from opening the caches on my necromancer knows no bounds :negative:

I swear I thought I could get it more than once 😭

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

My regret from opening the caches on my necromancer knows no bounds :negative:

I swear I thought I could get it more than once 😭

Yeah, I figured you could get them on each class too but I'm glad I checked it before picking it up. I leveled my necromancer first as well, but then I looked at the different set bonuses and Crusader seemed a lot more fun (to me).

Even better now that I have a legendary flail that recovers Wrath when I use Sweep Attack so I don't even need a basic attack anymore. Just lawnmower flail hundreds of enemies at a time at light speed while near invincible from all the healing I get by dishing out damage :catdrugs:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm gonna talk about mufuckin' Penguin Wars for a minute because it's a mystery to me what's going on with it.

Penguin Wars was an early Game Boy game in which you play as a penguin standing on one side of what's basically a combination between a pool table and a skee ball pit, except the target is your enemy's face. You each stand opposite on either side of the table and are given five balls which you are supposed to pick up and chuck at your opponent and dome them until they collapse and become paralyzed. It rules. It's basically one-on-one dodgeball. But, being as old as it is, it's pretty primitive. Not much in the way of graphics or features.

This year, the game was given a remake/sequel of the same name on the Switch. I had heard absolutely nothing about it anywhere and the only way I discovered it was when it came up in my Amazon recommendations. I decided to Google it and found out it's published by Dispatch Games (also the publishers of Psyvariar Delta, if you're looking forward to that) but their website seems ridiculously out of date. As far as I can tell, the Switch version of Penguin Wars launched sometime in August of this year in the US. It has no presence on the eShop, and seems to be (for now at least) one of the few Switch games only available in physical. But, according to the website, they're still taking preorders for it. So I don't know. It's definitely available now - I got a copy off of Amazon for like $22 bucks, which I was on the fence about since there was so little info on it, but I loved the original and this remake looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQGZ6WbgEY

It has a weird minute long initial loading screen but after that it runs fine so I don't know what the gently caress. It's got a lot of love put into it for what looks like it could very easily have been a total shovelware game. The graphics are pretty simple but very expressive and fun. It's a good little game to just pick up and play, and the music is pretty great, with long tracks that don't loop too much.

The other part of the mystery is that this game has DLC, but you can't buy it on the American eShop - going to the DLC screen just says it's not available, and it doesn't seem to exist, which sucks because I kind of wanted it: it adds four new characters to the game, who are the four heroes from the Sunsoft NES game Hebreke, also known as Ufouria, which is a great game but as far as I know had nothing whatsoever to do with the original Penguin Wars in any way. So I'm actually pretty disappointed that I can't buy that because I love Hebreke and I would pay a couple bucks to be able to play as a penguin from a different 30 year old game.

I don't know yet if it was worth $20+, but so far I've been having a lot of fun with it and I wanted to signal boost it because I don't think this game is going to get much attention if it's not available on the eShop and nobody's talking about it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

A fair bit of characters are a bit too "risqué" looking for a kid to play, but maybe that's just me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

A fair bit of characters are a bit too "risqué" looking for a kid to play, but maybe that's just me.

Xenoblade 2 is absolutely not a kid-friendly game, and not just for the female Blade designs. A lot of the story themes go dark.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wow that's pretty lovely. Maybe I'll just get the Ultimate Edition digitally somewhere down the line. I really don't want any more of the toys since they're not Starfox related.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the individual ships and weapon packs and pilots online. I don't think it matters if you have the game physically or not since after you dock them the first time you can just use it all digitally anyway if you use a regular controller.

EDIT: Actually maybe not. The little tag line above the DLC section in the shop says "Digital Edition is required to use these items." Hrrrrrm.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

What’s one of the better JRPGs on Switch? One that an adult would enjoy but a young kid could also grasp and play.

unfortunately the game you're looking for is Dragon Quest XI and the switch release date is unknown but lets just say that its better than anything pixar and yuji hori makes john lasseter look like the fatass sex pest that he is!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
what about pokemon let's go

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

more like pokemon let’s stop.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
but theres so many of them

gotta catch em all

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm going to play pokemon but I'm not going to catch em all

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Commissar Ken posted:

I don't think it matters if you have the game physically or not since after you dock them the first time you can just use it all digitally anyway if you use a regular controller.

So theoretically I could just find someone with all of the toys to unlock everything? The thing is I don't even know anyone with the game so it'll never happen, interesting to think you could just get all of the "DLC" that way.

Kinda bullshit I can't just buy the rest digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Part of me wants to buy more games on sale, but I haven't finished any of the games I've bought in the last year and Diablo 3 is currently vacuuming up all my spare time :argh: