Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They need to stop spreading Nomura so thin. Like, hire some new directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
There is only one lord of the jrpg's, and he does not finish games.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Like a zipper...being tugged on too tightly. So many zippers...

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Like a zipper...being tugged on too tightly. So many zippers...

...being held together with belts. So many belts...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
One does not simply walk into Square-Enix HQ.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
With winter holidays coming up and unspent vacation needing to be spent, I want to go back and play either FFX, FFXII, or FFXV again, but with all the remastered versions I have no idea which one to play and on which system. I like being able to just sit on my couch and play a PS4 version on a big screen and chill, but also if there's mods or overhauls or improvements on the PC version I'd play there without complaint. I have FFX/2 HD on both PC and PS4, is one better than the other? Same question for if I were to pick up the Zodiac Age version of FFXII. PC or PS4? Or do I just grab my NG+ of FFXV and go to town again? I can't decide.

Edit: Basically for X/XII are there any mods/overhauls that would make it worth being able to just big screen and chill on the PS4?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On FFVII NT Arranged: I got to Aps fight and Morphed it, and for my efforts I get a single-use consumable. I'm thinking "great, some garbage that deals 300 damage to all enemies". I get to the next boss, toss the item at it, and it gets one shot from 5000 damage. :stare:

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire is by far my favorite mobile game of all time. I can't explain why, but I love that drat game so much. Does anyone here play that game? I've been playing since about a year ago, and can't manage to put the game down.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dunno how popular that one is, I hear it's gotten a lot of flack for it's in game currency stuff. I'm pretty drat addicted to Mobius myself, there's a pretty interesting story in there if you can get past the bullshit final areas of act 1.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

School of How posted:

Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire is by far my favorite mobile game of all time. I can't explain why, but I love that drat game so much. Does anyone here play that game? I've been playing since about a year ago, and can't manage to put the game down.

I assumed it was garbage so I never even looked at it. What do you do in that game?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elentor posted:

On FFVII NT Arranged: I got to Aps fight and Morphed it, and for my efforts I get a single-use consumable. I'm thinking "great, some garbage that deals 300 damage to all enemies". I get to the next boss, toss the item at it, and it gets one shot from 5000 damage. :stare:

Isn't Reno the next boss?

I remember I actually had a really hard time with the bosses on the Shinra HQ elevator. I ended up using a super awesome consumable item there because I didn't know it was super awesome. I figured it would do some damage and help me through the fight. It ended up killing the boss in one hit doing several thousand damage just like your item.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Azubah posted:

Dunno how popular that one is, I hear it's gotten a lot of flack for it's in game currency stuff. I'm pretty drat addicted to Mobius myself, there's a pretty interesting story in there if you can get past the bullshit final areas of act 1.

A New Empire apparently has over 45 million players and it made almost 400 million dollars in its first half year, which I guess would make it the most popular FF title at the moment?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's still probably Record Keeper by a mile, followed by FF14.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't Reno the next boss?

I remember I actually had a really hard time with the bosses on the Shinra HQ elevator. I ended up using a super awesome consumable item there because I didn't know it was super awesome. I figured it would do some damage and help me through the fight. It ended up killing the boss in one hit doing several thousand damage just like your item.

Yeah it's Reno. Sounds like we had the same experience!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

It's still probably Record Keeper by a mile, followed by FF14.

Record keeper isn't even more popular than brave exvius so it sure as hell isnt anywhere close to new empire if that game actually made 400m in half a year.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I assumed it was garbage so I never even looked at it. What do you do in that game?

You build your empire basically. I can't explain why I like this game so much but I do. I originally installed it because I thought it was going to be a tower defense game. Then once I started playing it, I realized it's a completely different game. I continued playing because when I realized this kind of game is a "thing", and I wanted to continue playing it to better understand the genre and maybe even make my own game in this genre (I'm a software dev). Basically you "win" the game by having the best economic strategy. You have to learn what each item is worth, and make decisions that maximizes your resources and doesn't waste anything. Its also a "massively multiplayer" game with guilds. There's also a lot of opportunities to troll people (but whenever a good trolling opportunity is discovered, the devs fix it quickly, which sucks)

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It's a shameless Game of War skin with lovely timers and adds all over.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

BrightWing posted:

It's a shameless Game of War skin with lovely timers and adds all over.

Game of War is made my the same dev team, but FFXV:ANE has a bunch of new stuff that GOW doesn't have. Its much more than just a reskin. Thee timers are part of the game. You don't sit there and watch the timer tick away. You put your phone in your pocket, and remember to check back in X hours when the timer is finished. It's the kind of game you play a few minutes throughout the day, not all at once.

You're right about the ads. It' the most annoying thing about this game. They need to at least need to add an option to pay to disable ads, which I'd surely buy. At least the ads are very well made, and always contain super well done artwork...

School of How fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 24, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
they started putting out a lot of titty girl ads for their ff mobile game. it's a bit stupid.

anyway, does anyone have any tips for FFTA? I want to finally finish it so I can understand the memes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
FFTA tips
1) SPEED IS INHERITED AT A 100% RATE BETWEEN CLASSES. This is the most important information you will ever learn. Speed affects turn order and frequency, HIT RATE, AND EVADE RATE. If you ever gain a level with a class that doesn't have the maximum speed available to you, you will be crippled for the lategame when there are speedy assholes everywhere, getting double- and triple-moves if you ever gain a level as a slow class while you desperately try to hit them with <30% accuracy attacks.
1a) This means, you should try to recruit a natural Viera Assassin asap. Not only do they start with the fastest class in the entire game already unlocked, but their starting stats are determined as if they took levels in the class itself. I don't really remember how you get recruits, but I do remember that their class is 100% random when new units introduce themselves to you, so just savestate and load until a Viera joins you as an Assassin.
1b) this means bangaa suck sorry
2) The most powerful skills in the early game are the various Steals. You can get insanely powerful endgame equipment like this, which enables you to get more useful skills (like, Steal Weapon :v:). This still sucks because most enemies hide their good steals behind Change Equipment. Use a guide, and savestates.
3) You really need an Assassin. Absolutely as soon as possible, I cannot stress this enough.
4) The most powerful skill once you start getting equipment that teaches it is the Viera's Assassinate. It's basically the Assassin classes from FFT, 100% hit rate Death, Stop, etc etc and all. Holy poo poo.
5) It's basically Assassins all the way down
6) Make sure you carry tons of Law Cards that cancels Forbidden: Assassinate.
7) Did I mention Assassins?
8) Always carry at least one Law Card that cancels Forbidden: Dmg2Undead. The game loves to throw this one out, and the game loves to include undeads on many maps. The only way to kill undeads when this is enforced is with Exorcise. Exorcise is an instant death-type attack, so it's literally the only way to kill them without doing damage. The problem is, that as an instant death-type attack, its base hit rate is like 10%. gently caress that.
9) Assassins.
10) To recap: Assassins.

FFTA... a very bad game.

LFT Progress

I just finished the Orbonne Monastery missions and man I dunno. Like they aren't especially hard but these changes are super frustrating. It isn't fun at all to do assassinate missions when the targets have inherent immunity to every status effect, and *PhysDefUP + *MagDefUP. I take issue with a lot of the changes they made to the enemy classes, because it seems like they're done to be as annoying as possible.

For example, the last part of Orbonne has you fight a Dancer who has inherent Float, huge Move, Martial Arts, and Earth Slash. Her entire purpose is to stand on the opposite side of the wall and snipe you while you can't do anything about her. This mod just throws out more and more and more hateful design. An enemy like this isn't designed to be challenging; it's clearly made just to gently caress with you. I won because I killed Wiegraf by making GBS threads a ton of damage on him with a Cyclops summon from a caster specifically planned around preventing taking the Earth Slash, but that's not strategic or tactical. That's just planning your entire mission around a single cheese.

My rating so far: 3/10.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Aww, bangaas suck? That's lame.

Sounds really complicated. Does this mean the optimal team is just a bunch of assassin bunnies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you feel the need to optimize things in fuckin ffta then i dunno what your deal is, just do whatever seems cool.

the hardest thing in ffta is tediously doing all the mission-timer dispatch missions

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you're looking to break the game do the Speed focused trick.

If you just want to beat the game basically any sort of focusing on a specialty will work, down to spamming (very, very very slowly) full-screen neutral damage magic for about 1/3rd to 1/2 every enemies life bar with your Nou Mou

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FFTA is not nearly hard enough a game to require that level of optimization

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Dr Pepper posted:

FFTA is not nearly hard enough a game to require that level of optimization

Look, I'm going to grow my perfect speed ninja marche and there is nothing you can do about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm glad FFTA exists if nothing else to break minmax baby brains

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barudak posted:

If you're looking to break the game do the Speed focused trick.

If you just want to beat the game basically any sort of focusing on a specialty will work, down to spamming (very, very very slowly) full-screen neutral damage magic for about 1/3rd to 1/2 every enemies life bar with your Nou Mou

yeah, like, if you made a full party of illusionists you'd also win every fight because they'd kill the entire enemy party if you added them together. ffta is really easy

it's true that viera assassin is the most broken class because they put in an archer skill that makes every skill that character uses have at least a 70% success rate and it works on the instant death attacks, but thieves can literally steal abilities from people to get stuff way early and nu mou are good friends who are fun to be with

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

if you feel the need to optimize things in fuckin ffta then i dunno what your deal is, just do whatever seems cool.

the hardest thing in ffta is tediously doing all the mission-timer dispatch missions

imo it's less optimization as it is, the game will mercilessly throw assassins at you all the time so you better level the playing field as best you can.

Tired Moritz posted:

Aww, bangaas suck? That's lame.

Sounds really complicated. Does this mean the optimal team is just a bunch of assassin bunnies

My personal opinion of Bangaas is that they're a mixed bag. Like they aren't awful, but they don't have access to ridiculous poo poo in the lategame like human Paladins, but their White Monk is pretty good in the early game, assuming you get their ranged attacks. As fighters, their speed is extremely disappointing, so their hit rate will always be a little below normal and they're vulnerable to quicker units (basically every enemy that isn't a Bangaa :v:).

They get access to Holy, which, not even White Mage gets Holy. The problem for them as casters is, their classes all have crap MP growth, but all their good spells are really expensive, and their other spells are equal to -ara tier so they fall off without getting -aga tier upgrades. Bishop actually gets more MP than Black Mage, but the problem is you're probably gaining levels as other Bangaa classes too, and those get MP at an awful rate. They get Half MP, but their best spells will still cost like 16-20, and their not-so-good spells just don't make the cut because, unlike all the other races, they have no access to classes with truly exceptional magic growth.

White Monk and Dragoon are the safe ones. They're MP cheap, and they have ranged options. This helps, because they won't be directly in the middle of all the enemies, but they'll still end up being terribly slow. And in a game that's all about hit percentages, that's a killer.

Don't get me wrong; I like to use one of every race. You can tell because I've clearly tried to build a good Bangaa before :v: More than once, even! But there's just no denying that Vieras are head and shoulders above the rest.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mostly just picked up Moogles units in FFTA because I thought they were one of cuter incarnations of the mascot. On a note about it's plot, (spoilers because someone is just now playing through it) Am I the only one who hated the other kids and was glad to wreck up their escapism world? Eat poo poo Doned, eat poo poo from your wheelchair.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Caidin posted:

I mostly just picked up Moogles units in FFTA because I thought they were one of cuter incarnations of the mascot. On a note about it's plot, (spoilers because someone is just now playing through it) Am I the only one who hated the other kids and was glad to wreck up their escapism world? Eat poo poo Doned, eat poo poo from your wheelchair.

I didn't hate them but all the "Marche is the real villain" people are dumb. Escapism is fine but running away from all your problems forever and never facing down your fears is cowardly bullshit.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

FFTA is a game where you can give yourself infinite turns through a two-unit combo.

It's a game where a mid-game mission lets you steal enough life rings for your entire team, granting them auto-life and making them immune to almost all status effects.

It's a game where you eventually become untouchable just because of how character leveling works.

It's a game where the only way to lose is driving yourself crazy trying to min-max character stats or complete everything.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I didn't hate them but all the "Marche is the real villain" people are dumb. Escapism is fine but running away from all your problems forever and never facing down your fears is cowardly bullshit.

FFTA isn't a game about heroes and villains. It's a game about virgin and chad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The real villain is the friends we made aking the way.

Also books. If there’s one moral to this game, it’s to never read books.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

There's like 1 billion ways to break FFTA which is the big fun of it. The big popular ones that haven't already been mentioned being Red Mage/Summoner to double cast giant AoEs all day and Gunner/Mog Knight to have a 100 mile range Ultima Charge.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I started up Final Fantasy XIII again on the Xbox One X after it get it BC update last week just to see how it looks, and somehow I am now on chapter 7 which is furthest then I ever been in the game. Actually enjoying it this time and seem to got the hang of the combat now, but is there is ever a point to use Sentinel with Snow and Fang outside like defending a enemy who has a slow to charge but otherwise nasty attack like the hovercars with the gattling gun"? Like the one Snow has says it suppose to hurt the enemy back but it never seems to do anything when enemies are attacking him when the move is active.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sentinels give the entire party a passive damage reduction, which isn’t really needed outside of the superbosses

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

I started up Final Fantasy XIII again on the Xbox One X after it get it BC update last week just to see how it looks, and somehow I am now on chapter 7 which is furthest then I ever been in the game. Actually enjoying it this time and seem to got the hang of the combat now, but is there is ever a point to use Sentinel with Snow and Fang outside like defending a enemy who has a slow to charge but otherwise nasty attack like the hovercars with the gattling gun"? Like the one Snow has says it suppose to hurt the enemy back but it never seems to do anything when enemies are attacking him when the move is active.

There are these enemies, sorta mini-bosses even(?), in the final dungeon who you really need a Sentinel against because they take so much damage and hit so hard that nobody but a constantly defending Sentinel can take any of their attacks. You need a SEN to always distract them while you attack with the other two.

As far as I could figure out, anyway. If there is some other way to beat those jerks, I never found it. Hopefully somebody who knows more about XIII's gameplay can confirm or deny what I said and also help you figure out if Sentinel has any more use besides those fights.

I also kinda feel like there's an optional fight with a robot thing in like, Chapter 10 where you need a Sentinel, maybe? I can't remember how I beat that thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Speed affects turn order and frequency, HIT RATE, AND EVADE RATE.

The bolded part is wrong. Nothing affects hit and evade rates except for positioning, the concentration passive, and some equipment. Also speed is important but you're definitely not going to be crippled if a character takes a few levels in a slow class.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rirse posted:

Vendetta and Entrench do attack opponents at the end of their guarding portions, but the damage isn't really worth it and you probably won't need the chain duration anyways, so just stick with Steelguard/Mediguard/Elude if you're ever controlling the sentinel. The AI will do those moves sometimes but only when they're at high health.

Having sentinels in your paradigm will naturally reduce damage of attacks to everyone, which may not matter much for most fights but it is a bit of a nice thing if you're trying to heal at the same time.

Using them for one-off strong attacks is very useful, but it's also good in general for fights where you want to keep the focus away from your other party members, be it for healing or buffing or debuffing or just building chain. There are some encounters/bosses that don't have large attacks but are still good at interrupting your party, and in those cases using a sentinel can help while you set things up into a favorable position. Either things like single enemies that only target 1 person at a time or large groups of weaker-but-annoying enemies are pretty standard ways to see some effective sentinel use.

That said, it's possible to beat the main story without using sentinel outside of the mandatory fights if you play things right. So in general, you can just not use it; when you get to a fight where you get overwhelmed, that's when you should break out sentinels so you can slow things down. Sentinels help more when your stats aren't very high, but that's very easy to avoid in ff13.

NikkolasKing posted:

I also kinda feel like there's an optional fight with a robot thing in like, Chapter 10 where you need a Sentinel, maybe? I can't remember how I beat that thing.

Are you talking about the Berserkers? There's several of them in Chapter 10, and you don't necessarily need a sentinel to beat them, but using one can help a bunch when they summon their centaurion blades. The blades can do a lot of damage on their own, but they don't have much life and have lowered chain resistance so you can pick them off with 2 party members while the 3rd defends.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sentinels are for the gimmick enemies during sentinel tutorials or stacking 3 of during a telegraphed attack.

I can understand a sen med med paradigm, especially before you have it on all members. It's not really a class you keep active for a long time, just during telegraph's or if you need the damage resistance to keep you up while healing after riding your hp down to the ragged edge.