Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the actual Oxford speech is pretty clinical and textbook in advocating to raise up human rights, but the textbook nature of it is pretty much the flaw because it attempts to touch in dealing with the the invasion of the other that scares the nazis and how to handle it

the major mistake Clinton is making is an attempt to deal with how to deal with the nazis in language that isnt just "gently caress off nazi" because engaging with them means they're already winning

also by trying to not play the soundbite game as everyone in this country is really stupid and has no attention span

edit:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hillary is really, really good at making terrible sound bites that render the otherwise reasonable content of the rest of the speech completely irrelevant to the intended audience.

yeah

goethe.cx posted:

that's great, but her argument re immigration is fundamentally a capitulation to racists. i'm more sympathetic to hillary than a lot of people in D&D but the right-wing nativists aren't going to go away if more immigration restrictions are enacted, and it's ridiculous that she seems to think they will. even when she says good things, she just has no credibility in regard to them

agreed, though this speech is threading the needle of trying to ensure civil rights for the disenfranchised and trying to kneecap the nativists and quite frankly it's basically mutually exclusive and she'd have been better off not talking about it as opposed to the economic messaging

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hillary is really, really good at making terrible sound bites that render the otherwise reasonable content of the rest of the speech completely irrelevant to the intended audience.

also excellent at having a dedicated and highly numerous bipartisan corps of people that hate her for reasons that range from reasonable to nutso and will dredge up those sound bites on the off chance you were aware of the speech but didn't know about them

BrandorKP posted:

Lol, modest efficency (10%) gains in rather specfic wind conditions on certain ocean routes do not a replacement propulsion plant make.

what would you say is the best-reasonable-case scenario for ocean freight? just straight up eating the necessity of some emissions from it and compensating elsewhere?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wind is unreliable.

The world will not go back to waiting months for ships to cross oceans. It's nuclear or we starve.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what would you say is the best-reasonable-case scenario for ocean freight? just straight up eating the necessity of some emissions from it and compensating elsewhere?

In addition to transportation the vessels are also now basically the world's warehouses. There's no eliminating them without collapse.

Nuclear is possible, but has some large barriers. There are possible efficency gains to be made (sails, scale (bigger is better), etc) but none are game changing. Everywhere else is easier to cut first. Ships are tremendously effecient already. Compared to the other modes the cost per ton per mile is much, much, lower.

The other modes (road, rail and air) are a much better place to start. Where to hit on ships is things like sulfur and NOx. Ships burn some terrible poo poo.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Skex posted:

The difference between myself and the Dems are bad brigade is that I believe that people can be wrong without having to be malicious. And yes there is a substantive difference between the two.

God, the arrogant, ignorant, privilege of this statement. If you are crossing the street minding your business and you get hit by a car it really doesn't matter if you were hit because the driver was texting, drunk, or because they were your arch-nemesis hunting you down. You still got hit by a car.

What you don't understand (because you have lived such a soft and easy life) is that Clinton's mistakes have dire consequences for people at the bottom of the totem pole. So no, there is no meaningful difference between malicious evil and banal misinformed evil.

Intent is utterly irrelevant when your errors cost lives and destroy populations.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 24, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Prester Jane posted:

God, the arrogant, ignorant, privilege of this statement. If you are crossing the street minding your business and you get hit by a car it really doesn't matter if you were hit because the person was texting, drunk, or because they were your arch-nemesis hunting you down. You still got hit by a car.

What you don't understand (because you have lived such a soft and easy life) is that Clinton's mistakes have dire consequences for people at the bottom of the totem pole. So no, there is no meaningful difference between malicious evil and banal misinformed evil.

Intent is utterly irrelevant when your errors cost lives and destroy populations.

If intent is "utterly irrelevant", why does the legal system put so much weight on it when it comes to convicting and sentencing?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is perfect

https://mobile.twitter.com/JadidiJD/status/1066142017766461440

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

If intent is "utterly irrelevant", why does the legal system put so much weight on it when it comes to convicting and sentencing?

"we do it this way so it must be the right way to do things" isn't much of an argument

Besides, we're not a court of law. We're a bunch of people on the internet sorting politicians into good and bad piles, and the standards are a bit different

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

enraged_camel posted:

Leadership is different than being a defendent in a criminal trial. Intent matters if you're looking to rehabilitate the person so that they might potentially contribute to society in the future.

When a leader makes mistakes it doesn't really matter what their intention was. Especially when those mistakes have had as dire consequences and cost as many lives as Hillary Clinton's have.

Edit: Also if we want to follow this criminal defendant metaphor a little further, then I would point out that Hillary Clinton has demonstrated a complete unwillingness to learn from her mistakes and has repeatedly publicly stated she intends to make the same mistakes again. If this were a trial the judge would throw the book at Hillary.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 24, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If anyone needs some good news today: twitter banned intentional misgendering and 'deadnaming' people

Christ, Glinner's going to go fuckin ballistic (As are an awful lot of other TERFs in the UK)

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
It really is striking how terrified the right is of AOC. They're making GBS threads themselves harder than when Obama did just about anything, and she's just a first-term congressperson, not the president. I think she's great, but Christ, it's not like she was appointed to SCOTUS or can even run in 2020. They are boosting her visibility so much. When's the last time a junior congressperson got so much coverage?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DonnerKay/status/1066206830907535362

I'd love this POS to lose, but I doubt it will happen

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Prester Jane posted:

Leadership is different than being a defendent in a criminal trial.

We care about intent in civil trials, too.

quote:

When a leader makes mistakes it doesn't really matter what their intention was. Especially when those mistakes have had as dire consequences and cost as many lives as Hillary Clinton's have.

I don't buy it. While leaders are in a position such that the impacts of their actions are often multiplied, I think intent still matters.

A great example of this is the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. In a vacuum, they were horrible acts. In the larger context however, the intent of American leadership at the time was to prevent a much greater number of deaths that would have been the result of prolonged warfare and the invasion of Japan. Today we still debate if it was the right decision, but that debate would be very different if the intent had been to, say, subjugate and enslave the Japanese (just using that as an example of "evil" intent).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I don't buy it. While leaders are in a position such that the impacts of their actions are often multiplied, I think intent still matters.

A great example of this is the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WW2. In a vacuum, they were horrible acts. In the larger context however, the intent of American leadership at the time was to prevent a much greater number of deaths that would have been the result of prolonged warfare and the invasion of Japan. Today we still debate if it was the right decision, but that debate would be very different if the intent had been to, say, subjugate and enslave the Japanese (just using that as an example of "evil" intent).

it is a great relief to the person you kill drunk driving that you did not intend to kill them

wait, no, the opposite of that is the case

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is a great relief to the person you kill drunk driving that you did not intend to kill them

wait, no, the opposite of that is the case

Driving drunk is a form of criminal intent, but thanks for playing.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

1. intent only matters in civil trials for the same reasons it matters in criminal trials--i.e., deterring further willful behavior.

2. that would only matter in our assessment of harry truman as a person. yes, if he'd bombed japan just because he really hated the japanese, that would make him a worse person, in a certain moral sense, than if he bombed them to avert a greater loss of life down the road. but that's cold comfort to the dead japanese civilians and their families. for politicians, voters ought to weigh an evil decision and an incompetent decision the same, because ultimately what matters to voters is how a politician's decision materially affects them, not what was in the politician's mind

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/DonnerKay/status/1066206830907535362

I'd love this POS to lose, but I doubt it will happen

I doubt it too, but she's making an extremely game effort.

Smeef posted:

It really is striking how terrified the right is of AOC. They're making GBS threads themselves harder than when Obama did just about anything, and she's just a first-term congressperson, not the president. I think she's great, but Christ, it's not like she was appointed to SCOTUS or can even run in 2020. They are boosting her visibility so much. When's the last time a junior congressperson got so much coverage?

It's truly incredible, especially because she has extremely powerful Millennial energy and every single time they take a shot at her, she leaps into loving orbit to slam a Chaos Dunk upon them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well I don't want to get your hopes up, but the black vote IS larger in Mississippi than it is in Alabama, a state Doug Jones basically only won because of black women (who he then threw under the bus)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

Driving drunk is a form of criminal intent, but thanks for playing.

again: a source of phenomenal relief to the fucker you kill not out of malice, but because giving a poo poo about other people was too much to worry about at the time.

photos of the Egyptian and Honduran coups unrelated

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

I think it's fairly telling that the people who were arguing against Condiv haven't responded to this post at all.

Yes, truly the only possible explanation for why someone who was always polling behind, and who the dems told to give it up because he was polling behind and going to lose, lost is due to Democrats interfering and preventing him from winning like he was totally going to.

Maybe you should work on accepting that you lost and not blaming every leftist loss on the eeeevil establishment. Then maybe you might lose slightly fewer times.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, truly the only possible explanation for why someone who was always polling behind, and who the dems told to give it up because he was polling behind and going to lose, lost is due to Democrats interfering and preventing him from winning like he was totally going to.

Maybe you should work on accepting that you lost and not blaming every leftist loss on the eeeevil establishment. Then maybe you might lose slightly fewer times.

while we have you here what's your stance on Abuela's decision to proclaim the Fourteen Words are the future of centrist politics

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Smeef posted:

They want a new Clinton.

Again just wanr to repeat that non regressives have to push back everywhere and all the time to make sure these poo poo seeds dont gernminate at wall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

<-------------------- OMG! After 15 years, the curse of that awful avatar is finally lifted! :dance:

it's funny because I also did this for 4th of july to replace no-av/newbie av people and somebody got this one and as far as i can tell they don't really post

edit:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Lol

https://twitter.com/manateejay/status/1065984895963418624?s=21

I don’t actually know who that is tho

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ms Adequate posted:

I doubt it too, but she's making an extremely game effort.

It's truly incredible, especially because she has extremely powerful Millennial energy and every single time they take a shot at her, she leaps into loving orbit to slam a Chaos Dunk upon them.

The point isn't that they're obsessed. It's to muddy the waters and taint the things she's for by association down the line. The point is to sling enough poo poo that people treat her the same way that most low information or outright stupid people do when it comes to Hillary, Obama, Bernie, etc, etc after multiple consecutive years of corrupt corporate interests running smear campaigns from behind our politicians and media voices.

This is also why Fox keeps harping on about "radical" things (like Fox consistently claims) like a living wage that lets you not die in the gutter, health care that won't bankrupt the average person, etc, etc. If you've read up on how the ACA was handled PR wise then you'll also note that the ACA went through a similar process (Remember the death panels bullshit?) during the attempts to get put into law and after it went into effect.

It's just that a nation wide policy is harder to gently caress with in terms of disinformation campaigns since everyone can see how it works. Hence why so many Republican politicians were confused at the various town halls full of pissed off geriatrics that didn't want to lose it once they realized what it was. And also why they just stopped showing up and started having right wing media types like Fox and Limbaugh hammer even harder that people shouldn't shouldn't want any sort of healthcare. All while plowing ahead with repeal attempts and sabotaging pieces of it once they realized they couldn't easily con their base on that point.

The idea is that when she has to deal with the next election people will either vote against their own interests because of a multi-year haze of bullshit that has them saying "Huh, but there's something untrustworthy about her!" from a multitude of lies "negative reports" or that she'll be like most of the centrist types and be intimidated into falling in line with the corporate lobbyists. The latter of which basically amounts to supporting strip mining the generational wealth of the US's citizens over time.

Edit: poo poo, this is exactly the same trick the same sort of people would pull on climate change scientists for about 50 years now. In fact, going off climate change's history of fighting a never ending line up of corrupt denialists it isn't even as far as things can escalate.

From what I vaguely recall of my history at one point the Republicans were at one point threatening to lock up some of the most prominent scientists in the field at the time for daring to tell the truth about how bad things were going to get during a congressional investigation. This was then used years down the line by some denialists to justify how crazy and corrupt the climate change scientists trying to fix things were once those events had faded from the public consciousness and progress was starting to be made to hopefully fix the issue in the future.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 24, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The creator of McAfee antivirus who's turned super libertarian militia nutso in the face of various murder and fraud charges.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Artificial trees are devices made out of extreme carbon-phillic materials and storage tanks to wick away co2 from the air and store it in tanks. Like condensed trees, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Sea transport is a pretty serious problem since you can't convert it to electricity, they're basically stuck with fossil fuels forever.

That’s silly. Ships can run on biofuels (granted, there’s good ones and bad ones) or even a variety of energy-carriers manufactured using renewable electricity, including synthetic natural gas, synthetic hydrocarbons (I.e., power to liquids), hydrogen or ammonia. Plus, battery technology is bound to improve a lot by 2050. There’s already several small (~2,000 tonne) battery-electric cargo ships.

Rednik fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 24, 2018

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

He ran to be the nominee of the Libertarian Party in 2016. He also moved to Belize so he could do bath salts without big government getting in his way.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

:stonk:

Wow he took that idea of "Hey, I have black friends, I can talk like this now" and loving ran with it, didn't he?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

:stonk:

Wow he took that idea of "Hey, I have black friends, I can talk like this now" and loving ran with it, didn't he?

Tarantino did it first.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Remember when people were saying Hillary would never ever run again?

Good times.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

goethe.cx posted:

2. that would only matter in our assessment of harry truman as a person. yes, if he'd bombed japan just because he really hated the japanese, that would make him a worse person, in a certain moral sense, than if he bombed them to avert a greater loss of life down the road. but that's cold comfort to the dead japanese civilians and their families. for politicians, voters ought to weigh an evil decision and an incompetent decision the same, because ultimately what matters to voters is how a politician's decision materially affects them, not what was in the politician's mind

But that is precisely why intent is extremely relevant: if the US had not nuked Japan, there would have been a much larger number of dead japanese civilians.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

"we do it this way so it must be the right way to do things" isn't much of an argument

Besides, we're not a court of law. We're a bunch of people on the internet sorting politicians into good and bad piles, and the standards are a bit different

I've always felt these need to figure out who is bad vs good extremely bizarre and pointless, especially when it is extended to historical figures like dead presidents.

goethe.cx posted:

The problem comes from distinguishing incompetent behavior from behavior that was correct to the best of our knowledge --but wrong anyway and produced bad outcomes. Someone who exhibits patterns of reckless and dangerous behavior, or willful ignorance of good conduct, is going to produce worse decisions than someone without those traits. For example I would not hold it against someone who accidentally poisoned their child because the pharmacist gave them the wrong medicine, as we can not reasonably expect normal people to be able to prevent such accidents. If however they poisoned their kids by giving them colloidial silver or other quackery I would, because anyone can reasonably be expected to know better.

We can make one of those silly polysci squares going from competent/incompetent, and good intentions/bad intentions

pre:
                          COMPETENT
                               |
                               |
                               |
GOOD INTENTIONS <--------------|------------> BAD INTENTIONS 
                               |
                               |
                               |
                          INCOMPETENT
So we can imagine Adolf Eichmann in the top right box, Trump in the bottom right, and someone like pediatrician Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, who helped expose the lead water crisis in Flint when she detected it in children would go in the top left. When President Hoover signed the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act we can say he was in the bottom left quadrant, as he knew the policy would be destructive, had industry and economists telling him such, but he signed it into law anyway presumably to maintain party unity or something.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"Wanted to preserve party unity" doesn't count as good intentions.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Ego-bot posted:

He ran to be the nominee of the Libertarian Party in 2016. He also moved to Belize so he could do bath salts without big government getting in his way.

The dude is so off his rocker that I don’t think it’s even fair to crazy libertarians to lump him with them. He makes Randy Quaid seem like Spock and probably doesn’t know what planet he’s on. If he weren’t rich he’d be institutionalized.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

goethe.cx posted:

1. intent only matters in civil trials for the same reasons it matters in criminal trials--i.e., deterring further willful behavior.

The dropping of the atomic bombs had nothing to do with preserving life. It had to do with prestige. After pearl harbour the US had to have unconditional surrender from Japan and only the atom bombs could deliver that. The alternative would have been signing a peace treaty with them.

The bombs were dropped solely because the US could not let Japan get away with a peace treaty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VH4Ever posted:

If they won't accept you for how you really are then gently caress 'em. You don't need anyone else's approval but you know all this already. I know on some level it still hurts though so I just wanted to post this in a lame attempt at support and empathy.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

gently caress, that sucks. :( I would boggle about a person's own parents not siding with them over something like this, but your story is dismaying and common.

:shrug: I’m used to it by now. They largely live in Central America and I hardly ever saw them anyway, but they’re real important to my parents. I was never close to them, with the exception of I guess a US-based cousin. Still feel bad that I can’t see my grandma anymore, but hey - maybe if I was more impressive or more well-adjusted, I’d be allowed to see them. Which is funny, cause I heavily resemble my aunts and grandmothers more than my immediate family.

Thanks tho, guys. /o/

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Katt posted:

The dropping of the atomic bombs had nothing to do with preserving life. It had to do with prestige. After pearl harbour the US had to have unconditional surrender from Japan and only the atom bombs could deliver that. The alternative would have been signing a peace treaty with them.

The bombs were dropped solely because the US could not let Japan get away with a peace treaty.

It's pretty depressing, if not surprising, that people are still trying to justify the greatest war crime in human history as the most humane choice. A country nuked civilians. Twice.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Skex posted:

It's not telling of poo poo, it's a stupid argument that is premised on a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Democratic party operates.

Because it starts with the premise that Hoyer is her subordinate rather than her rival.

:rolleyes:

Fulchrum posted:

you know aoc was behind in the polling until she won her primary right?

quote:

It was less than three weeks until Primary Day and, on first blush, the poll that Representative Joseph Crowley had been shown by his team of advisers was encouraging: He led his upstart rival, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, by 36 percentage points.

guess she should've just been forced out of the race by the party cause crowley was gonna win

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

1glitch0 posted:

It's pretty depressing, if not surprising, that people are still trying to justify the greatest war crime in human history as the most humane choice. A country nuked civilians. Twice.

What makes it worse than the firebombing of Tokyo?