Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi!

I'm planning to comb through the thread soon, but I thought I'd just go ahead and post.

We're going to be in town from the 29th through the 6th and we're wondering if there's anything Christmas-oriented were should try to catch while we're in town.

This will be our second trip, and I don't totally remember where we ate, although I could probably work it out. I do remember not really being impressed by Hawksmoor, so I'm wondering if maybe I picked a bad one or did something wrong? I had steak IIRC.

Another place that only sold food made of stuff native to Britain went out of business. They were pretty tasty.

Flat Iron was one I liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you had a bad time at Hawksmoor, it was almost certainly a one off. The one time I had a bad steak there, I told the waiter, and it was whisked away, and replaced with a new one not long after, and we got our drinks for free.

If you’ve got time on the 2nd, I’d recommend trying their Sunday roast. It’s very reasonable, and very good. Also, Yorkshire pudding the size of your head.

As for Christmassy stuff... avoid Winter Wonderland, go to the Christmas market on South Bank, by the Royal Festival Hall.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I liked the hawksmoor Sunday roast a lot more than the regular steaks. The regular ones are not bad but the style is not for me. I went to a few steak houses across UK and they are alright but not spectacular. The Sunday roasts in hawksmoor do deliver and the Yorkshire pudding is good.

Regency cafe is good for breakfast. Cheap no thrills good black puddings.

Claireridges make drat good sandwiches and tea but it’s expensive. Sandwiches are unlimited refill which I didn’t know and regret not having more.

Savoy is fancy pants dining but I was too underdressed, oh well. The beef Wellington isn’t too great for the price and decor. Try else where

I realized I went to 2 of Gordon Ramsay’s properties but he’s actually a decent celebrity chef for a change

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007
I live in Manchester and every time I've been to the Hawksmoor it's been top notch.

I'm at the theatre {in London} this weekend and have the opportunity to spend a lot of money enjoying myself, any ideas for a pre theatre saturday?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Restaurant Gordon Ramsay :downsrim:

Or a robuchon

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Okay what's the best burrito in London since I'm here for the weekend and have a powerful urge.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Spuckuk posted:

Okay what's the best burrito in London since I'm here for the weekend and have a powerful urge.

Ehhh. London's not great for Mexican/tex mex, unless someone wants to correct me.

Please someone correct me

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tarbrush posted:

Ehhh. London's not great for Mexican/tex mex, unless someone wants to correct me.

I'm aware I live in the UK,but I'm still craving. There was an amazing place near Victoria that was at least as good as the ones I had in the mission District, sadly closed a few years back.

Help

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tarbrush posted:

You are not wrong.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
There is Santo Remedio on Tooley Street, but it's very much modern Mexican and sit down stuff rather than burritos

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ended up going to Homies in the tiny wood Street market and getting a sack of conchita pibil tacos, definitely recommend if you're up this way

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tarbrush posted:

You are correct.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Spuckuk posted:

I'm aware I live in the UK,but I'm still craving. There was an amazing place near Victoria that was at least as good as the ones I had in the mission District, sadly closed a few years back.

Help

Piccante! It was great. Gutted when they closed.

I think the same owners have a place near Blackfriars still.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah there's Cheeky Chicos near Blackfriars, it's not as good as I remember Piccante being, but it kind of hits the spot.

For authentic Mexican rather than Tex-Mex there's Santo Remidio, Breddos and El Pastor.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
We did just get a taco bell in hammersmith, with more coming this/next week! Yay for horrible pseudo texmex

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tentish klown posted:

We did just get a taco bell in hammersmith, with more coming this/next week! Yay for horrible pseudo texmex

Oh poo poo, Taco Bells in London, just as I move to Berlin? :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Berlin's got a Pret now.

I really don't know if I'm going with this as a potential consolation or

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Berlin's got a Pret now.

I really don't know if I'm going with this as a potential consolation or

I never went into Pret when I lived in London, except for the cheap coffee.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Taco Bell is poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Taco Bell is poo poo.

I acknowledge this, but also really love it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
There's a little Indian curry burrito fusion place opposite Angel station which I really love for some reason. drat tasty curry, good burrito stuff.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Took some family to Tayyabs for the first time yesterday. They loved it.

We had:

Lamb chops
Seekh kebabs
Tandoori chicken
Veg pakora
Urud Daal
Nihari
Rice
Nans
Gulab Jamun

Everything was spot on and hot and fresh.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

I acknowledge this, but also really love it.

There's one in Chichester for some reason.

The naked chicken taco was good, think it's still available. The special now is a three-level crunch wrap which is okay. The sharing platters look good and potentially soloable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's one in Chichester for some reason.

The naked chicken taco was good, think it's still available. The special now is a three-level crunch wrap which is okay. The sharing platters look good and potentially soloable.

There is, and it’s really slow for some reason. My parents are about to move to that area, so when I found that out, it made me happy. Obviously the menu is only about 50% of what the US gets, but it’s decent as a stopgap.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
After all my exposure to Taco Bell via American media/conversation I thought it was meant to be spicy, and my greatest disappointment is that the hottest sauce is still super mild. I think if I hadn't had spicy food in mind when I tried it I wouldn't have been quite so disappointed... We all know fast food isn't gourmet but I feel my expectations were mismanaged. 4/10

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So my tabletop gaming club has a traditional Christmas curry each year, and as we’ve grown (from 4, to 8, now 17) we’ve found it harder to find places that will take bookings for a group our size.

Last year we had a (pretty dreadful) Brick Lane curry and got moved around the tables three times by the management.

This year some brave soul has identified ‘Hot Stuff’ in Vauxhall as the venue. I’ll be honest, I am not hopeful.

Wish me luck...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
My office is going to Simply Indian near Borough Station, which is apparently tiny (~25 seats) and byob with no corkage. They liked it enough to go back after last year, and it does a bunch of less seen South Indian stuff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
We used to go there! It was pretty great in my opinion. But without booking the whole place there simply wasn’t room for us all.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hot Stuff is excellent. Or it was when I went about 8 years ago at least. It’s been around a fair long time and always had a reputation as one of the best local Indian restaurants in London.

Here, Jay Rayner liked it in 2008:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jan/27/foodanddrink.restaurants

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Awesome! Thanks for the tip

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
First night in London and we finally arrived after a ten hour flight, two hours in customs and an overly long black cab.

We limped our way over to Dishoom King's Cross not knowing exactly what to expect but willing to try.

So good.

First of all, they're not afraid to hit you with a little spice over here.

Ruby chicken was good. The black dal was better than any other dal I've had, but I must admit I was picturing it as being pitch black.

The lamb chop was so incredible I wish I'd ordered more than one, but I'll be going back.

I did not care for chefs special lamb stew. It's probably well prepared but just not for us.

drat fine meal.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is it bad manners here to show up a few minutes before your reservation? They keep giving us looks and having us sit or go to the bar.

We don't mind either, except the looks.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Beachcomber posted:

Is it bad manners here to show up a few minutes before your reservation? They keep giving us looks and having us sit or go to the bar.

We don't mind either, except the looks.

No. The looks must be for some other reason. Were you wearing an obnoxious outfit/trying to put on a local accent?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, that’s not a thing restaurants get weird about. I’m going to assume someone had a boob hanging out or something.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dishoom is spicy :wtc:

I’m totally not a spice head and chase mouth pain for pleasure

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

caberham posted:

Dishoom is spicy :wtc:

I’m totally not a spice head and chase mouth pain for pleasure

At home we have to eat at restaurant multiple times before we can convince them to give us that level of spice.

DoctorTristan posted:

No. The looks must be for some other reason. Were you wearing an obnoxious outfit/trying to put on a local accent?

Button up shirt (not Hawaiian), long pants, real shoes. Wife is in a t-shirt, would that do it?

It's our last day, and my wife's team treated her to Mexican at Casa Pastor before we go back to California.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

There's been one in the Manchester Arndale for ages :sun:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

feedmegin posted:

There's been one in the Manchester Arndale for ages :sun:

There’s 4 between Dalston and Ipswich too. So not exactly hard to get to.

But not in London, so don’t really count.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

At home we have to eat at restaurant multiple times before we can convince them to give us that level of spice.

Button up shirt (not Hawaiian), long pants, real shoes. Wife is in a t-shirt, would that do it?

It's our last day, and my wife's team treated her to Mexican at Casa Pastor before we go back to California.

Were you being loud and American?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

We have Taco Bell in Liverpool, even. It's still as bad as I remember from the US, and doesn't even av the decency to be dirt cheap here.